Rank.

The Person You Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

August, 10th, 2015. helloo Mondaaayy!!

 

 

6. Rank

 

 

Work is as packed as usual. Changmin has to confront the advertisement section of the exhibition due to some miss information his team member interpreted. He has to do field check on some accessories enhancement production site for making sure the selected items they are going to send to Japan for the exhibition are well prepared on time. It takes most of his work hours that by lunch break, he hasn’t returned to his office. The weather isn’t on his side either. The traffic is merciless and his stomach starts to protest. Nadia, his vice supervisor, has been avoiding his eyes sensing Changmin’s escalated emotion at how things turned out today. They are on the way back to central office to coordinate with the rep delegation on the latest progress. They have three weeks to go where half of the to-do list supposed to be done by now but…

      “Tough day, huh?” Peter welcomes Changmin and Nadia. “Jiyong just left half an hour ago. Your number is on busy tone he thought it’s better to see you in your office.”

      “Oh. Sh*t!!”

Peter smiles. “Why don’t you use some bites to minimize your cursing? Call delivery and have lunch here while I’ll get Jiyong back here. He must be still on the way to your office.”

Changmin wants to punch someone. Or something. He promised Jaejoong lunch today for his cancelled lunch promise last week.

Nadia conveys silent message to their vice grand manager. Peter takes it well after seeing Changmin’s folded frustrated look.

      “Your husband will understand, Min.” Peter pats Changmin’s shoulder in sympathy. “Call and explain it to him. I’m sure he won’t sulk for too long.”

Nadia looks away to hide her smile.

      “I’ll call Jiyong now.” Peter dials a number in his phone. “You want to wait here or in Jiyong’s office? Nadia, would you ask the pantry to fix something for Changmin’s mood?”

Changmin makes bad face. “I’ll wait in Jiyong’s office.” He walks ahead not minding where his vice supervisor would follow or not. He needs to cool his head down. He’d better call Jaejoong now to cancel their lunch today. Again.

Changmin waits the connecting line to Jaejoong’s end as he walks fast to the man in charge of the rep delegation. Jaejoong picks his call at the fourth ring.

      “Where are you?” Jaejoong’s voice sounds bored and annoyed.

      “I can’t possibly make it to lunch.” Changmin bites his lower lip. “I’m held up in central office thanks to some moron heads misplacing the selected accessories. I’m sorry. We have to cancel it, Jae.”

      “Oh!” Jaejoong is disappointed. “I’m already in Emporio and booked a table.”

      “Sorry.” Changmin stops walking. He’s more disappointed than Jaejoong. “Have you ordered anything?”

      “Not yet. I’m not sure what you would like for lunch.”

Changmin can’t help smiling. “You know me too well to pretend you don’t know I eat everything nice.”

      “Well..” Jaejoong’s disappointed voice starts to melt. “I might pick something very spicy.”

      “I’m good with spicy things.” Changmin snickers. “The spicier the better.”

      “Naahh.. you almost choked up the spicy chicken broth I made last time.”

      “I was startled. It’s not because of the spicy broth.” Changmin reasons. “Anyway, since you haven’t ordered anything, just cancel the booking. They won’t charge anything.”

      “You’re that busy, uh? Not even chance to have lunch with friend.” Changmin can hear Jaejoong’s pout at the other end.

      “I didn’t think the field check would be dragged that long. They got some barks and claws for that.” Changmin chuckles. “Sorry.”

      “It’s alright. We’ll have lunch next time you are available.” Jaejoong assures. “Final exam will come soon and I might be busier than you. We could still have dinner with mom and the others, right? by the way how’s Junsu? You didn’t ditch any dinner appointment with him too, did you?”

      “Why do you think so low of me, Jae?” Changmin totally forgets his initial reason to go to Jiyong’s office. He’s leaning on the wall watching people walk to and fro before him. Some of them nod their head at Changmin. Some just walk on not really pay attention to the tall man leaning on the aisle’s wall. “He said he wasn’t in the liking to dine out.”

      “He did? You didn’t convince him further? You just let it be?”

      “I tried, mind you. He insisted he didn’t want to.”

Changmin hears a sigh. “I bet you didn’t try to persuade him hard enough.”

      “Why do you care so much about Junsu?” Changmin protests. “There are more people taking his side already, Jae. Can’t you take my side? You know I’m weak in convincing people to do things my way.”

Jaejoong laughs long. “You’re hopeless.” He mocks. “I didn’t take Junsu’s side. I ask that because I was about to talk you into giving dinner surprise for Junsu.”

Huh? Dinner surprise? “I am what?” Changmin shifts his feet.

      “Taking him to dinner and giving him a surprise?” Jaejoong’s tone is one of those lecturer notes explaining the obvious to his clueless students.

      “I got that but what surprise? He knows all of fine restaurants and eateries around the city.”

      “You are so hopeless.” Jaejoong scowls. “It’s not about the place. You could invite his family, friends or anyone without him knowing. Actually, I was about to talk about it at our lunch. Make an event for him. You’ve been working longer than normal schedule, right? Do something to make it up to him.”

Changmin scratches his hair. “He didn’t want to dine out, Jae.”

      “Then do it at home.”

Changmin huffs. “However do I prepare for an event with my work right now?”

      “That’s why you are hopeless. I would help, idiot! Besides, you haven’t taken me to your home. We always meet in mom’s house or outside. Talk about inconsiderate…

      “Okay. Okay. Fine, mr. lecturer, sir. I’ll call you again later, kay? Gotta go now.” Changmin shifts his posture from leaning on the wall. “Sorry again about today.”

      “Forgiven.”

Changmin ends his call in better and lighter mood. Jaejoong always has ways to cheer his slumped mood up without even trying. It’s one of Jaejoong’s charms people hardly able to resist. Something about Jaejoong’s soothing voice and the way he speaks serve as cold cooling water for Changmin’s dry super heated bad mood.

His feet go on the course of going to Jiyong’s office. He hopes Jiyong would be back asap so that he could have his long delayed lunch. However, his feet change their course to the said destination and walk to the first floor upon seeing someone. The first floor is show room site where most of recent cars are displayed both for sale and for represent the company’s latest production to attract either potential sale-partners or simply spectators. A couple of salesperson staff are diligently using their marketing skill explaining and at the same time convincing two people who nod absentmindedly at them. Changmin recognizes one of them as one of Kim Junho’s personal assistants.

      “Mr. Young Pil?” Changmin interrupts the sales person’s long explanatory persuasion.

The called man lifts his head at Changmin. “Oh. Mr. Shim.” He flashes a professional businessman smile. “What a pleasant surprise.”

The two sales person exchange looks. Changmin smiles back. “We are honored by your visit, sir. Are you planning to buy new ride?”

The man called Young Pil keeps his business smile. “We are just looking around.”

      “Is it for business or for personal ride?” Changmin asks. He knows he shouldn’t interfere in the marketing thingy but this is none other than his brother in law’s personal assistant. The president and the grand successor of Kim’s business. The two salespersons might not know who the two men in suit are and how important the boss of these two men is.

      “Nothing of the kind, sir.”

      “For the hotel or the salon?”

Young Pil keeps on his friendly but well composed businessman look. “Neither.”

      “For personal one? these cars are business-based design. Would you care to take a look at our latest release for personal ride over there?”

      “It’s alright. We’re just looking around.” Young pil politely declines. “Your cars are very well built, sir. They fit well with your company motto of providing experiences for any kind of driver we are.”

      “Thank you.” Changmin is still curious. “We don’t produce a lot for every release.”

      “I see.” Young Pil says. He turns to his partner. “What do you think? Should we call it up for today?”

The partner casts a look around the spacious showroom before answering. “I guess so.”

Young Pil returns his attention to Changmin. “Do you mind if we take pictures of some of the cars? They might catch the interest of.. um..

      “Help yourself.” Changmin smiles. “The interior too if necessary.”

The other man quickly produces his phone (more like tablet) from his suit pocket and wastes no time capturing pictures. He goes to three different cars displayed in the show room. The other salespersons in the room make way for him as he flashes blitz after blitz from various angles. It’s against their company policy to allow potential customers taking or recording pictures of the cars but if the big boss finds it out later, Changmin is the one in the shoe for that, not them. They know Changmin. They say nothing.

The three cars taken pictures are the most expensive ones in the season. The Kims are no joke for their taste of fine things.

      “Wouldn’t it be a trouble for you?” Young Pil asks as his partner moves fast among displayed cars.

      “Not at all.” Changmin assures. “Consider it as an insider’s tips.”

Young Pil nods slowly. “Actually, I shouldn’t say this to anyone. Mr. Kim junior is opting for getting a car for his brother.”

Why isn’t Changmin surprised by that?

      “He is keeping it as low as possible. Even from our president director’s wife. He doesn’t want his mother knows and blows his plan.”

      “You’ve been looking all around the city?”

      “Yes. Online catalogue too though it might cost more to buy imported car.”

Why, money is never a problem for a mighty Kim Junho. “Ours is the last stop?”

Young Pil flashes an apologetic smile at Changmin. “He didn’t particularly say anything about your company but we think it’s best to be unbiased. He is not sure about his brother’s reaction about it so we are very careful. We don’t want to grow misunderstanding from his brother’s side if we happen to buy car from your company. I guess it’s.. err.. family matter.”

Changm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter