Revelation.

The Person You Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Thursday, August 6th. 2015.

 

 

2. Revelation.

 

 

      “Hello, mom?”

      “Ah, Min.” The mother’s voice is rich with cheerfulness. “Are you busy tomorrow evening? You aren’t, right? Come have dinner here with Junsu.”

Changmin barely scoffs. “I’m fine, thank you, ma’am.”

The lady chuckles. “I know you are fine. Just come here tomorrow evening, okay?”

Changmin scrunches his nose out of habit. “Is there any chance I might say no?”

      “No.” The lady chuckles more. “Junsu said he’d come with you.”

      “Yeah.” Changmin snorts. His mother must have called Junsu first before calling him. Typical allies. “Someone has to remember that I am the son in the family, not my husband.”

      “Eight pm. Don’t be too late.” The lady ignores the pun. “No need to bring any refreshment. I’ll cook your fave meal.”

      “You should tell Junsu that.”

      “Of course. See you tomorrow, Minnie. Love you.” she leaves a kiss before ending her call.

Changmin dials Junsu’s number right after. If he doesn’t act fast, Junsu would be getting some ‘simple’ gift for his mother by now.

      “Mom just called.” Changmin hears people clattering voices from Junsu’s end. “She wanted us to have dinner with them tomorrow.”

      “Yes. She called me too.”

      “She called you first.” The complaint is obvious.

Junsu laughs. “Is there any occasion we don’t know?”

      “Not that I’m aware of. She said not to be bothered bringing anything for her. We’d better not. Looks like she is showing off to me.”

      “You sure?”

      “I’m her son. If she says no refreshment, it means no refreshment.”

      “But that’s not fair. She cooks for us and we bring nothing for her? or for your dad?”

      “Do you want to ruin her show?”

      “Err.. you are right, I guess.”

Good. “ Are you going home at five or later?”

      “Maybe later. Yoochun went to see some customers outside. I have to stay till he’s back.”

      “Want me to pick you up?” Changmin offers. “I’ll leave office in two hours. We can buy dinner together too.”

      “Um.. I’m not sure when Yoochun will be back. I’ll text you later, kay?”

Changmin smiles in satisfaction. Junsu, despite being the stubborn stone-headed he is, is basically easy to deceive. Can’t really blame Junsu for that since he’s brought up in a rich loving family showering him with love, affection, generosity and attention. He’s spoiled, that’s easy to see. As the youngest son in the family, everyone dotes on him like some crown prince in a big prosperous kingdom. He leads a practically easy life. No real hard work. He plays around to his heart content. Mischievous. Sometimes cocky. Often demanding yet nurturing innocence in deep of his heart. He doesn’t really mind people’s negative feedback upon him because he’s more than loved enough by people around him. Almost everyone he meets adores him for his oblivious childlike innocent. His stubbornness comes along with his perception over money. With his family background, who wouldn’t pamper a cute little kid who knew well how to win your heart in short time, if not no time?

In short, he’s a bit too sheltered and protected by his family, dedicated maids, kind drivers, cooks, and  gardeners, understanding friends and the others that behind the typical high-profile look and half cocky acts, Junsu keeps a somewhat childlike innocence and good views onto people. Tell him a convincing lie, he will buy it easily. Pull a sad act on to him, he will melt right away. He’s that easy.

However, Changmin’s first impression of Junsu is crazy which then refuted by his mother’s adoring and cooing gestures in her first meeting with Junsu. The duck’s easy laughter and smiles knew no gap or strict rules. He hugged Changmin’s mom after twenty minutes sitting in one room with her. He even scored well with Changmin’s dad who is known for his strictness for proprieties. He got close to Changmin’s siblings so quick like he had known the two girls for a long time. Perhaps because he hardly feels intimidated or suppressed.

His tear drop like eyes weren’t familiar with the word fear (he likes horror movies like it’s his bread and butter). He always has excuses to take things easy but fast, sigh. 

On the contrary, when Changmin met Junsu’s parents for the first time, he had to endure piercing awkwardness for the whole two hours. It’s clear to him that the Kims had run background check on Changmin. They gave the poor tall man thick uneasiness and cold sweats. Mr. Kim didn’t talk much. When he did, his voice is deep flat and formal. Typical experienced and respected senior businessman. Mrs. Kim chose to speak to Junsu more than to him. Junsu was the active talker during the meeting. He used his high tone melodious voice winning the Kims’ favor. If only Changmin wasn’t that nervous and intimidated, he would take note of how funny Junsu and his father’s communication was. The firm business tone of Mr. Kim’s was the very exact opposite of Junsu’s in-demand-mode tone. It’s a narrow pass for Changmin even though Junsu had convinced him long waaay before that the Kims would say yes. Junsu made it sound so easy while in fact, Changmin nearly lost his grip facing the Kim couple.

 

And then, there’s the older brother, Kim Junho.

--

      “You came.” Mrs. Shim throws warm hug over Junsu. “Was worried you’d be late.”

      “Traffic was on our side.” Junsu hugs back. “Mmm. Do I smell roasted chicken?”

      “You brat!” The lady pushes Junsu in fake irritation. “Can’t you keep the thought for yourself? You ruin my main course.”

Junsu chuckles not minding the glare he receives from his mother in law. “I can smell chicken from a mile away, mom. Your fault for cooking mouth watering dish.” He grins wide. “Can I go to kitchen?”

Changmin stands by the door, not the slightest bit feeling ignored that his mother welcomes Junsu first as usual.

      “None of you is allowed to be near kitchen. Dinner will start soon.” The lady warns then turns around to see her oldest son.

      “Nice to meet you again, mom.” Changmin says as he opens his arms to get a hug.

      “You..” The mother scowls but hugs the son nevertheless. “Don’t ever set foot to my kitchen!”

      “You should watch Junsu.” Changmin gestures his chin at Junsu’s walking figure heading to the kitchen.

      “No! Junsu! STOP RIGHT THERE!”

--

The dinner starts without Min Ae. She will join later because of some campus related thingy. There are two additional chairs in the dining room but neither Junsu or Changmin is bothered to ask about it. Changmin’s mom is no different from Junsu’s mother. They learn well to behave at meal time by not upsetting or questioning the queen of the house. Right now, Mrs Shim is beaming brighter than her sparkling pearl necklace indicating she’s happy. You don’t need to ask women about this. They will spill the happiness sooner than later so both Changmin and Junsu choose to enjoy their delectable meal than being a fuss. Mr. Shim seconds the couple’s wise decision as he, too, let his smiling beaming wife has her way with their dinner tonight.

      “I’m hoomee.” They hear Min Ae’s voice from the entrance door. “Mom! Dad! Look who I found on the front sideway of our house!”

      “Min Ae. Hurry wash your hand and come to dining room.” the mother says in louder tone.

      “What did you say? Found me? I’m not a stranded dog.” They hear another voice, male one, from Min Ae’s direction.

Junsu exchanges look with Chae Rie, Changmin’s youngest sister, who shakes her head at him.

Changmin sits still for some seconds on his seat, eyes meeting his father’s before abruptly standing up from his chair. He literally flees the dining room.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter