Illuminating Candles.

The Person You Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Monday, August 10th 2015.

Just got back from akashville. I kicked Max a lot there. Junki was soooo kuuteesshhh I can't..

 

 

5. Illuminating Candles.

 

 

The typical noise of kitchen’s activity and smell of cooked food greet Changmin when he enters the Shims’ residence. His mother is sharing the sacred magic place with Jaejoong and Min Ae. They are too immersed in their cooking process and gossiping that they don’t realize Changmin is standing by the door leaning his side profile against the wall. His dark rich brown orbs are diligently watching the scene before him in amusement. Mr. Shim is instructing Jaejoong to make sure the broth’s texture is thick enough to be boiled before they add several nicely chopped vegetables into it.

      “Add the vegetables the last of all.”

      “The last?” Min Ae tries to catch up the fast pace of the cooking lesson.

      “Yes. Once the broth is boiling for five or six minutes, turn off the stove, and pour all the vegetables. Let the heat of the broth do the cooking for the vegetables. That way, the vegetables are well mixed with the spiciness yet still fresh enough to be consumed.”

      “That’s very smart, mom.” Jaejoong says. “Can I add some galangal into it?”

Changmin just watches them quietly. He doesn’t want to interrupt the beautiful picture of Jaejoong cooking in the kitchen. He loves watching Jaejoong’s cheeks turn reddish from the stove heat. He loves seeing the trickling sweats on Jaejoong’s face and his quick skilled hands on the counter. It brings back memories when they shared apartment together in Mithvar.

Changmin never tells his parents about his meeting and sharing apartment with Jaejoong on his third college year. It wasn’t actually sharing apartment with Jaejoong. They visited each other’s apartment after they accidentally bumped into each other somewhere between Changmin’s new semester’s registration and Jaejoong’s part time job. Since Jaejoong had more flexible schedule than Changmin, he went to Changmin’s apartment more often than the taller college student. So often that it felt like sharing apartment than welcoming guest. Jaejoong practically spent most of his time in Changmin’s apartment than his own. It was really convenient that Changmin had the rented apartment for himself. It gave them both more time and space to get the best of their situation.

They didn’t say the L word to each other because it felt so natural for them to be that close and comfortable in each other’s presence. They didn’t dwell much on how they really were which Changmin regretted badly after Jaejoong left. Back then, Changmin didn’t want to ruin what they had together by baring his honest feeling to Jaejoong. He was just too happy having Jaejoong back in his life that he didn’t want any stupid impulse like saying I love you stain their so comfortable relationship.

Besides, it felt so much better than dating. It felt more like a genuine warm love relationship. They took care of each other, supported each other, eased and helped each other’s problems. Changmin had planned to propose to Jaejoong after he graduated. He would definitely catch the doe eyed beauty and tied him into legal marriage after he had found a good ground for both of them. Plus, he could keep Jaejoong close by as friend and get rid anyone suspicious who tried to get Jaejoong’s attention.

The Shims didn’t know about it. Jaejoong begged Changmin not to drop a word about him and his family to anyone they knew. Jaejoong’s parents were involved in complicated law case. He didn’t want to explain to people about his family situation till the problem was solved. Another reason why Changmin didn’t confess to Jaejoong. He would wait till Jaejoong trusted him and the Shim enough.

      “Min!” Jaejoong’s pulling hand transports Changmin back to the latest surrounding. “Taste this. Too spicy?” He spoons the broth, blows the steaming smoke away and brings it to Changmin’s lips.

Changmin opens his mouth. The spoon is hot but he doesn’t complain.

      “Well?” Jaejoong’s doe eyes round at Changmin, waiting.

Changmin nods. “Delicious.” He opens his mouth again asking for more.

Jaejoong dips out another spoonful of boiling broth. “Not too spicy?” He sends the spoon into Changmin’s mouth for the second time after blowing it to cool down.

Changmin happily gulps down the tasty broth. “Nope. Rice would tone down the spiciness a bit.”

      “No lacking of sugar or pepper or what?”

Anything you cook would just lack of number, Joongie. Nothing is too much if you’re the one cooking it. Changmin shakes his head.

Jaejoong beams as he turns his head toward Mrs. Shim’s direction. “Mom. I did it.” He is half squealing.

      “I told you it’s not as hard as it sounds.” Changmin’s mother smiles back at the beaming guest.

      “I’m so going to cook it tomorrow.” Jaejoong exclaims. “This is great.”

      “CHANGMIN! HANDS OFF THE PAN!!”

The caught red handed culprit blinks innocently. “I did nothing.”

      “Right!” Mrs. Shim scowls. “Make yourself useful by setting the table.”

      “Moomm!” Changmin groans. “Can I get some spoonfuls of the soup first, please?”

      “NO! Get the table ready! Now!”

Jaejoong chuckles at the face Changmin makes toward the lady of the house. He lifts the broth from the stove while sticking his tongue at Changmin. “Gotcha!’

      “Where’s Junsu?” Min Ae asks. She’s busy peeling fruits for their dessert.

      “Will come soon.” Changmin replies nonchalantly. “He said he had to do something first before coming here.” He extracts plates from shelves and carries them to dining room. He hears Junsu’s voice talking to his father from the living room. huh? Junsu has arrived?

      “Would you please help me set the table?” Changmin greets his husband.

Junsu stands up from the couch. “Dinner is ready? I’m hungry.”

During the merry dinner, Junsu mostly talks to Changmin’s father. Changmin alternates his ears between Jaejoong, his mother and Min Ae who have medley-like conversation topics from food to college tuition, and Mr. Shim, Junsu and Chae Rie who talk randomly about work and school. Jaejoong and Min Ae prolong their discussion after dinner in the living room which soon joined by Mrs. Shim and Chae Rie. Changmin and Junsu are in spot light for cleaning up the table and washing the dishes.

      “Leave them there, Su.” Changmin walks into the kitchen wearing apron and rubber gloves for washing dishes. “I’ll do it.”

      “Let me help.” Junsu offers. He hates washing dishes the most of all house chores but he can’t just leave it to Changmin just like that.

      “It’s alright. You might break plates or glasses and hurt your hand. Go join the others in the living room.”

The old Junsu wouldn’t ever stand a minute longer in the kitchen when it’s his and Changmin’s turn to wash dishes after the Shims’ dinner treat. He would throw excuses to save himself from the washing chore.

This Junsu walks slowly away from the kitchen accepting Changmin’s suggestion join the other in the living room. Soon enough, Mrs. Shim leaves the living room to help her son with the chore. She knows her son in law isn’t one to do domestic chores. It’s a common knowledge. Jaejoong follows the Shim’s queen not long after.

Junsu could do nothing but telling himself it’s just the way it is.

--

      “I’ll be home late again.” Changmin stuffs his work bag with files, papers, disks, laptop, charger and power bank. “What do you want for dinner?”

      “I’m not sure. It’s still morning, Min. How do I know what I want for dinner?”

Changmin checks himself in the mirror for the last time. “Look. I would run late from meetings and stuff. I might forget to ask you later and buy something you don’t like. I’d better ask you now.”

      “Buy anything you feel it’s fine.” Junsu shrugs.

Changmin stands still for a moment. “Don’t do that, Su. I’m asking because it’s my turn to buy dinner for us.” I don’t want to go home tired and hungry only to argue with you soon later because the food I buy for dinner isn’t to your liking.

      “Anything is fine, Min.”

Changmin looks at his husband closely. He lets out a long breath a minute later. “Call me around five pm to let me know what you have in mind for dinner. I have to go now.”

Junsu drinks his water slowly, eyes watching Changmin’s leaving for work figure till the back view of the husband disappears from his vision. He does that often lately.

--

Work is packed up with the upcoming auto exhibition in Japan. Changmin is appointed as the head of team B who is responsible for the in house preparation before the assigned team fly to Japan and does the rest. He leaves for work half an hour earlier and goes home an hour or two later than his normal working hours. He comes home tired both physically and emotionally from long day working.

Coming home is basically taking shower, having dinner, checking for any updates from his colleagues, talking on the phone with friends or Jaejoong then sleeping. He has not much energy left to argue with Junsu over small or not too small stuffs like house chores or what.

Luckily, Junsu doesn’t bother him too much these days that his headache doesn’t grow taller than it has been.

Three weeks, same routines even on Saturday, his temper is starting to crawl on his skin like unwanted salt sweats.

      “Relax, man!” Peter, the head of the intern division, sits him down on one morning. “I know it’s a bugger for everyone in your team preparing for the shot but don’t take it too hard on yourself and your team members.”

Changmin wants to scream it’s so easy to say than to do. How is one not stressed what with the amount of things they have to accomplish within ten weeks? So many things to do. So many walls to climb.

      “Go get yourself some good drinks and/or good ***.” Peter suggests. “You are too tense. It won’t do good for you and ever

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter