The shadow goes longer.

The Person You Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Friday, August 7th 2015.

 

 4. The shadow goes longer.

 

      “Welcome to Hara café. What would you like to order?”

Jaejoong scans the listed menu of beverages and snack on the big screen up behind the worker. “What’s your best seller?”

      “Caramel cocoa.” The young male worker smiles warmly at the customer. “But I’m afraid we have run out of it for today. Would you care for latte? Or our signature original?”

      “Hmm.. the signature one sounds okay. I’d like that.”

      “Strong or light?”

      “What do you recommend?” Jaejoong asks back.

      “The strong one usually favored by coffee addict. If you are not, the light one is better.”

      “Is it bitter? I don’t usually drink coffee.”

      “We’ll give you separated additional sugar in case it’s too bitter for your liking.”

      “Okay then. Any good snack to accompany the coffee?”

The employee explains patiently one by one till decides on a vanilla roll. He pays and waits for his order in the appointed table. He has to admit he’s impressed. Changmin said Junsu works here though he didn’t say much of what Junsu does. Mrs. Shim said Junsu opened a well-ran café around dDagon avenue. Jaejoong likes the friendly service from the employee. The concept is good. The decoration and style is modern minimalist that leaves him in wonder who designed the café. It’s not too big; tables and chairs are smartly placed in pairs and in fours throughout the space. Not too cramped to each other that allowing customers to have their own comfort space. Not too spacious either that might make you feel of being out of place or alone. The walls are painted with combination color of light blue and thick purple. Clever choice. Some big framed pictures of coffee beans, milk in keg, chocolate bars, and fruits are pinned on the wall. Again, the color choice is impressive. It looks like the café is designed carefully with a lot of thought by an expert or professional. Might spend a fortune or two to open this level of ambience for café that serves mainly coffee, cocoa, and few snacks.

      “Jaejoong?”

Jaejoong returns from his swimming thoughts upon the café. He sees Junsu in employee uniform carrying a tray standing in front of him. “Hi.” He offers a smile.

      “You should tell me you would come.” Junsu places the tray on to Jaejoong’s table. He serves the steaming coffee, a small cute bowl, and the snack. “Light original coffee.” He takes a seat in front of the customer. “Sugar.” He points at the small cute bowl. “Taehyun said you didn’t like bitter coffee. This will help the taste, I hope. And here is your vanilla roll. Anything else?”

      “Not now.” Jaejoong’s eyes are planted on the steaming tall mug. The smell is unexpectedly inviting. He bets a spoon of the liquid against his tasting bud after blowing the smoke away. “Mmm.. this is great.” He comments after the liquid occupies the whole area of his tongue. “Great.”

      “Bitter?” Junsu asks in expecting eyes.

      “But great. The bitterness is just right. However did you make it?”

Junsu chuckles. “Not me. I’m walking disaster in the kitchen. It’s my partner skilled hand.”

      “Your partner?” Jaejoong tastes another spoon of the coffee. It’s really good.

      “Yeah. He owns and runs this café. I’m just a sidekick here. Not really much of a help, though.”

      “Mom said it’s your café.” Jaejoong blinks. Judging by the decoration and ambience of the café, it is very likely that Junsu is the one owning it. He’s one of that Kims, isn’t he?

      “It’s a half half partnership.” Junsu leans his back on the chair board. “On paper but in practically Yoochun’s café. He runs everything here.”

      “I see. the coffee is really good.”

      “Thanks. I’ll relay it to him.”

      “He made this himself?”

      “If he’s around, yes. Yours is brewed by Taehyun.”

      “You don’t brew? Imagine the treat you make at home every day. I’ll stick to you every morning.”

      “Haha. I told you Changmin cooks better than me. I’d burn the whole kitchen trying to brew one.” Junsu laughs. “You really should tell me if you want to drop by. Taehyung didn’t know you are my guest.”

      “Naah.” Jaejoong waves his hand. “I want to try it. I heard some students talk about this café often.” he sips his coffee without spoon now. “Do you work until it’s closed?”

Junsu shakes his head. “No. Yoochun is usually the last one closing the café. I have to catch taxi or bus to get home.”

Ah. Jaejoong forgets about the car. Changmin said Junsu sold his car not long after Changmin’s birthday due to the café’s bad financial state.

      “Why don’t you buy one? It’s better than making the taxi company richer than they already are.” Jaejoong slices the vanilla roll. He bites slowly and again, his tongue meets a simple yet rich flavor he likes.

      “I will, soon. Still looking around for good car.”

The truth is, Junsu has no enough money to buy his wanted car. Yet. His today’s saving isn’t that much yet. He still has long way to go to buy the car he’s been eyeing at.

      “There are quite numbers of good used car if you are interested. I have a friend working in a car dealer. It’s as good as new and has more reasonable price.”

Junsu nods. “Let’s see later.”

Jaejoong smiles inwardly. Changmin said Junsu is allergic to cheap things. He’s been pampered with all fine things all his life that having a second or used thing is like shoving him into house chores deadline.

      “He’s forever hopeless at chores. Breaking any glass material when washing dishes, burning his hand when trying to cook, always forgetting taking the trash out, dirtying the floor than actually cleaning it. Laundry? A thirteen year boy scout is much better than him.”

      “He can’t be that bad, Min.”

      “It’s not half of bad yet, Jae. Wait till you see what he shops. He just doesn’t understand the points of common sense.”

 

Junsu adds one name on the café’s guest list. It’s one of their agreements that family wouldn’t be charged for drinking coffee in their café. So far, the Kims barely show up in the café thanks to Yoochun’s persistence of not wanting intervention over his way running the café. The shims aren’t that fond of coffee. Changmin loves coffee but he prefers drinking with friends. Yoochun has yoohwan, his sister, his mother and Lisa’s name on it. Now Junsu adds a Kim Jaejoong onto the list.

--

      “Su?”

      “Hm..”

Changmin walks around to face the husband. “I’m going out meeting friends. Wanna come?”

Junsu eyes the tall man for short seconds. “I’ll have to pass.” He suppresses an obvious yawn. “Say hi to Jonghyun and the others.”

      “You really don’t wanna come?” Changmin frowns. “It’s bowling. No drinking. Come on.”

Junsu blinks. “Min, I’d really love to join but I miss bed right now.”

      “It’s just eight forty.” Changmin glances at the digital clock. “Too early for bed. Come on.” He persuades.

      “Never too early to bed.” Junsu leans onto Changmin’s side. “You’ll meet them at nine?”

      “You duck.” Changmin pulls the husband into short hug. “Sleeping too much isn’t good, Su. What are you? Toddler? Sleep at 9pm?”

      “I’m your toddler.” Junsu lazily giggles. “Bring spare key. I might not wake up opening the door for you when you are home.”

      “I told you it’s not drinking.”

      “Hmm.” Junsu yawns. “Where’s my pillow?”

Changmin watches his husband drags his feet heavily heading to their bed. Junsu throws himself in bed lying on his stomach. Arms and legs spread wide hogging the bed for himself. Typical Junsu.

Changmin snorts. “I’m going then.”

He goes home to a wet kitchen floor. The dishes have been washed but the messy splash of water is everywhere. Junsu does the dishes but not cleaning up the slippery spots of water on the sink and the floor. Changmin shakes his head, sighing. He stores the box of food cooked by Jaejoong in the fridge first before he dries the floor from dangerous water splash. At least he wouldn’t deal with breakfast argument tomorrow. Now, he needs to roll the sleeping like log Junsu aside to be able to sleep in bed. Changmin shakes his head again. What a mess.

Sleep leaves Junsu a couple of hours before six am. He’s been sleeping since ten pm. He sits in bed in disheveled hair yawning wide. He goes to kitchen to drink a glass of water. There, he sees the food container newly shoved among the fridge’s content. He stares at it for two minutes long. He drinks the water, closes the fridge’s door, and walks back to bed.

He sits and stares at Changmin’s sleeping form.

I love you, Min, his mind speaks before he could stop. I love you. You made me fall for you hard I don’t think I would be able to leave this marriage. I’m trying to be a better person for you. I’m trying to pick up and patch up the mess I’d been.

He stares at the closed eyes. The rich dark chocolate orbs that will glare sharp at him if the owner of the eyes is awake.

Would you bear with me a little bit longer? Would you still love me like before when I finally become the better me? Would it make any differences to you?

Junsu quietly lies down. The dim light of their bed lamp falls upon Changmin’s calm in sleep face and figure. Junsu turns to his right side to stare at his sleeping husband better.

Jaejoong wins at everything. Junsu breathes. He cooks for you. He drinks with you. Your friends like him more than me. Mom never stops talking about jaejoong. She showed me the old album. I saw several old pictures of you and Jaejoong together. You’ve been in love with him since you’re fifteen, right? Your email and eyes in the old pictures said it all.

Junsu blinks. He looks so good together with you. Your handsome figure compliments his undeniable good look. The way you laugh when he’s around. The way your eyes stealthily see him when people are not looking. The way your fingers easily move touching his. The way your shoulders brush against his. The way you smile when he texts you. The way your eyes spark when you call him. The way you two bicker. The way you hug him. I wish I didn’t know. I wish I didn’t know your feelings to him yet at the same time I wish I had known it long ago before our marriage so I could win your heart for real.

Junsu closes his eyes, breathing low. His beady eyes open showing transparent glass the next second. I promise I’d be a better Junsu. I promise I’d not ruin things further. I’d learn harder to cook. I’d let you have drink with friends. I’d not buy things you might disagree. I’d try harder. I promise, Min.

He turns again lying on his back. I wish I could be stronger and wiser by letting you go to Jaejoong. You look so happy with him but I can’t do that. I can’t and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter