Chapter 8

Cinderella is the Evil Step-Sister
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

All of the students from my year were gathered together for an assembly. Everyone chatted with their friends with their voices getting louder and louder due to the competing noise. The staff members fiddled around with the microphone due to their ongoing battle with technology. They did not get along well and as a result high pitched screeched filled the auditorium as well as the amplified sound of the principal’s fingers tapping the microphone.

“Attention, kids!” His voice boomed throughout the room. Everyone became quiet and you had to hush Jiwon who was having a laughing fit. “I am sure you would be aware of this, however this will be your official notice. In just less than a month we will be having the annual ball as it is your last year of school. It is not compulsory that you attend, however it is highly suggested that you go as it will be an enjoyable evening. Everyone is welcome to come along. I will hand you over to Mr. Byun for more details.”

 

He then told us what you would expect he’d say. Make sure to wear formal attire, must be appropriate, behave yourself and so on. To be perfectly honest you were not too keen on going. However you’re sure if you told Hyori you were not going she would tear you to shreds, so you would just be a compliant friend and tag along. 

 

“Now, here is the interesting part.” Mr. Byun began, “The theme this year is a masquerade ball. You will be required to wear masks throughout the night. Also, remember that even if you have a date you are expected to dance with many people, not just one. Over the next few weeks you guys will get to practice the dances that we suggest you do on the night. That is all.”

 

As soon as we were dismissed people were already overly excited. Hyori and Hannah were quite excited for this- they had started to plan which dresses they would wear weeks ago.

“We HAVE to go shopping this weekend! Otherwise there won’t be enough time!” Hannah overdramatised. “I can’t believe you haven’t even thought of a dress yet, Gi! And now we have to find masks too!”

“Oooo! What’s this about going shopping? I’m coming with- I need a suit and mask.” Jiwon chimed in.

“Piss off. You aren’t invited.” You snapped at him.

“What are you saying, Giselle?” Hyori sounded offended, “Of course you can come! Bring all your friends too!”

You were craving a Jiwon-free day and sadly it had just been robbed from you. You heard yells approaching from behind. You wondered who the rowdy idiots were and then you realised it was Jinhwan and his noisy friends. There were far too many of them and when they were altogether it was quite overwhelming. He hadn’t been like this at your old school and you still weren’t adjusted to it yet.

It’s funny how well Jinhwan and Junhoe fitted in. They immediately attracted attention and everyone wanted to be their friend. Whereas you, on the other hand, would not fit into that crowd. You would go almost unnoticed if not for Jiwon always stupidly pulling you into the spotlight. 

“So who are you going to go with?” Hannah asked. 

“I’ll probably just go alone…” You responded.

“Someone will ask you to go with them. For sure.” Hyori suggested, “ And when they do you better say yes.”

 

Unfortunately you, as a woman, were blessed with the monthly ability to constantly bleed for just over a week. This was not something you looked forward to however it was inevitably going to happen. You had to grab ‘something’ out of your locker before making your way to the bathroom. As you scurried down the hallway you doubled over and let out a yelp as the terrible pain hit you and you turned into a crying mess on the floor.

“I hate you, uterus. I really, really, hate you.” You muttered to yourself as you curled into a ball.

“Giselle! Are you okay?” Mr. Byun rushed over to check on you.

“No. Can you help me get up?” You weakly asked.

He nodded his head and reached out an arm for you. However you, being the idiot you were, opened your hand to reach onto him only to drop the tampon you had been tightly clutching in your hand.

“Oh.” You said as your face reddened with embarrassment.

“Oh.” Mr. Byun said too with his face almost as red as yours.

You looked away wishing to be anyw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter