Scarlet

Smile Again

I had grown to like Kai.

He was now not only very good looking on the outside, but I could see he was an equally as attractive person on the inside. It was all in the way he thought about other people around him, and how he actually seemed to remember the fact that I didn’t like meat too much.

The fact that he came over wasn’t a surprise since he and Ara are of course close friends, but I didn’t think he’d go all the way and buy food for us. It was very thoughtful, and plus he was an easy person to talk to whom I shared many interests with.

However, as much as I tried, I couldn’t feel anything grand whenever he was near. Of course there were some butterflies, I would be lying if it weren’t any, but I remember my sister always telling me that when you meet someone you like, and I mean really, really like, you won’t be able to control the nerves and butterflies around that person no matter how much you try.

And although the butterflies were there, it was barely so, and I didn’t know why I grew so annoyed by the fact. It was almost as if I wanted to feel something towards the said boy, but it was just very lackluster, for the shortage of better terms.

We had a lot in common as well, and we had very like minds which meant we shared more of the same opinions. It was nice to have someone to talk to who understood my mindset, or at least would try to.

However, ten minutes had gone since Ara left the room and I began to wonder what was going on. She had been awfully quiet ever since we sat down and although I wanted to talk to her as well. Ara didn’t say anything and judging by that we mostly spoke about our interests, which she didn’t seem to like, it wasn’t easy to ask her something either.

Another three minutes or so passed, and she still wasn’t coming back, and I was about to excuse myself when the door finally opened and Ara emerged.

She was smiling as we both turned to look at her, the object in her hand now placed on the table as she sat down with us again. However, it appeared to be a strained one.

I didn’t know why, but it felt as if something was off the moment she entered the room. She wasn’t frowning and she seemed pretty… normal, but there was something with her eyes, and I wondered why they seemed so glossy out of the sudden.

“What’s up?” I heard Kai ask as I gently looked over at him, and he suddenly seemed very serious, as his whole face just seemed focused on Ara now. I wondered what that was about, but he almost seemed concerned, although I didn’t understand why.

I looked over to Ara, her facial expression the same yet her eyes just didn’t meet her smile. I couldn’t understand.

“ing phone seller, won’t stop calling and asking me to buy some dishes,” she dismissed with a shrug before drinking what I assume is a milkshake. I almost didn’t notice the way her hands trembled when she grabbed the small cup, because it wasn’t really that obvious if you didn’t look clearly.

Her voice sounded the same, although more shakier, and I felt worried about her because it couldn’t have been that.

However, I didn’t know what to say as the room grew quiet, and met a very heavy and tense silence.

Kai left after a while since he had some errands to run for his mother, something that made me want to smile because I’ve always admired people who help out their parents when they could. With a smile and a timid wave he left, and it was just me and Ara again.

“I’m actually soon finished,” Ara then said as we cleaned up the table and threw away the food containers and what not.  “You don’t need to model for me anymore actually, I’ll just need an hour to paint and I’ll be done with the project,” her voice was steadier, but less lively, something that bothered me yet again.

“You do not have to rush,” I said before I could stop myself, not knowing why I didn’t want this day to end so suddenly. It was already three in the afternoon and I knew my mother would grow suspicious unless she wasn’t home, but I doubt it as she was almost always home at Sunday’s.

I didn’t have anything except for studying to do in that house anyways.

“I’ve kept you long enough,” Ara said shortly before standing behind the canvas again. “I’m sure you have other things to do, Miss America,” she added and I could only look at her, not understanding why her mood suddenly turned so sour.

What happened out there?

“No, I am in fact not busy today,” I coaxed further, already sitting down the same place as I did not too long ago, but she didn’t seem to care.

“Do as you please then,” her voice was void of emotion, something that didn’t suit her as she continued to paint on the canvas. I was about to return to the position she told me to until she spoke up.

“You don’t need to pose, I’ve already sketched your figure well enough,” Ara said again, and the more she spoke the more my spirits seemed to fall, because she obviously was not happy.

“I know this is not my business, but did something happen?” I asked as I sat facing her, my legs crossed together as my back leaned on the wall. I tried to find Ara’s face hidden behind the canvas, but it was if she knew I was trying to look at her, so she didn’t move her face at all.

“I must apologize to you, Krystal, but I would bore you to death by elaborating my problems,” it sounded as if she was mocking me, something I couldn’t say I enjoyed, as the silence stretched on for a moment.

My curiosity, however, did not falter one bit.

“You wouldn’t bore me,” I said, the closest I could reach out to show that I was here, as the only sound that covered these four walls were the clinking of brushes and the light on the canvas.

Ara stayed silent for a good moment more, her hands probably still painting the image she was working on, something I hadn’t seen yet had a feeling I would like.

“Have you ever been in love?” Ara asked, her voice so soft it was barely audible, but still I heard it loud and clear as I sat there, wondering where the question came from.

To be honest I had not experienced love yet; I thought I was too young and that it was not meant for me. My mother would probably marry me off to some high end, rich man if she had the chance. Therefore I have always thought of that as my destiny, and that love would be something for me to dream of.

I knew a lot. I had straight A’s in every subject, and my tutors would praise my fluency in multiple language. Victoria would be honest, but she saw talent in my dance and even my singing voice. Even my father believed I would be a respected owner of the company if I kept up with my studies as I did.

If you gave me an equation I could solve it in less than half a minute. If you spoke to me in French I wouldn’t hesitate to answer as advanced as I could with only the best vocabulary. Even if you asked me to run a mile right now, I knew I could do it.

But despite my knowledge, I couldn’t answer that question. I couldn’t because I had no answer to it no matter how hard I tried to think of anything. It was a true fact that I didn’t know about love.

“That was what I thought,” Ara said simply, and we said nothing more to each other that day.