Scarlet

Smile Again

Present day

I couldn’t really phantom what just occurred the minute we arrived at Jessica’s apartment, an hour after Ara left just like that.

To say that I was surprised about her visiting would be an understatement, but to say I expected them to know each other was as unheard of as walking on water. I especially did not expect them to share such history together as it almost made me want to faint. Honestly, I couldn’t even imagine them ever speaking to each other despite it being a while ago since they met.

“How could you have kept this a secret from me?” I could only ask my sister as she sat on the white leather sofa of hers, her eyes focusing on her black stilettos as I stood in front of her. “I have been in her class for soon four years, and you knew that we knew each other although not particularly well, but this is out of line Jung Sooyeon!”

I only used that name on her when I was really mad, and I really was because I couldn’t believe the fact that my sister and Ara once were in a relationship and I didn’t even know. She had left me in the dark, and even when I think back to the times she would cancel various appointments or say she was busy, I wondered why I didn’t suspect anything.

Was she the reason why Ara was crying not too long ago?

“I’m sorry Krys, it’s just very complicated,” Jessica then said as she slowly looked up. I could only sit down as I tried to process the story I had just heard Jessica tell me about them two. It was weird because I didn’t even know Jessica liked girls, it was weird to even think of for some reason.

The worst part was I was scared; I was scared of being the same. However, that might be more about one specific person.

“So she was the one you were running away from,” I said more as a statement than what most would think as a question.

Jessica only nodded slowly, straightening up her posture before speaking again. “Everything about our relationship was technically wrong; she was too young, we’re both girls, my mother almost threatened me to expose everything and turn everyone’s back against me. I couldn’t do that, not especially when I wanted to start my own business.”

I could only sigh, having no words to tell my sister because this situation was too messed up for me to help. For a moment I didn’t even know how to react because everything just turned into this huge chaos.

How could the same girl manage to attract two sisters? Especially when I always thought of both of us as heteroual. The whole ordeal was just so crazy that I had no emotion that could suit that situation.

“Why did you return?” I asked then, the silence echoing as the words I feared escaped her lips, making every chance I had with Ara drop drastically.  I knew that one never forgets their first love, and after the way Ara reacted she must have had lingering feelings. I knew I would never be able to out beat that.

“Because despite my stupid decision; I want her back.”