Scarlet

Smile Again

They wouldn’t tell me anything, even after almost six hours of waiting in the same hall, doctors and nurses surrounding the room yet not saying a word.

A bright light was just above me as I walked around aimlessly the narrow hall separating me from Ara who was still in the E.R. I had no idea what was going on to her; would she survive? Would she be able to walk or did she lose too much blood? These were thoughts that ran through my head as the anxiousness wouldn’t seem to calm down.

I had no one to call because I did not have the number to Ara’s parents, and although I tried to contact Kai through a payphone nearby he didn’t answer my calls. Not even Jessica seemed to be there, and when I knew that I was now all alone waiting for her, I had never felt more lonely or scared.

I was scared because this was my entire fault; had I just paid enough attention to warn her that she stood in the middle of the crossroad when the light had turned green before that collision that I witnessed, maybe everything would have at least gone better.

Nothing seemed to go well anymore, and it didn’t help one bit as I was still walking around helplessly like a lunatic with her blood still on my clothes. I was alone with no one to reassure me, to say that things would be okay although I knew it wouldn’t be, and no one to give me a sarcastic remark to take my mind off things.

The moment I saw a doctor emerge from the double doors, expression clearly stressed although relieved, I didn’t even hesitate to run up to him and ask about the blue haired girl’s condition.

“Unless you are close family, I am not allowed to share such information with you,” he said coldly, as if he didn’t have time to talk to some teenage girl before opting to walk away. However, I couldn’t let him as I grabbed onto his arm.

“Please doctor; I can’t reach her family or anyone I know who is close to her because no one will answer,” I pleaded and I would only feel more nervous by the fact that he wasn’t giving me any information.  He was about to part his lips, and I knew he was going to decline as I could only let out a slightly angered groan.

“For God’s sake, stop being such an and tell me what the happened to her!” I yelled throughout the whole area, pretty sure everyone could hear me and my profanities that I didn’t even know I knew to be quite honest.

“Young girl, do not yell like that in public,” the elder man began, but I could only shove him slightly as he was still stubborn. “I am tired of being polite, damn it, if you’re not telling me then I’m going to find out myself,” I continued despite his protests and shouts of the nurses to stop me as I could only run through the double doors and hurriedly search for the girl I wanted to see so badly.

My body seemingly flew through the endless stretch of doors, patients walking with IV-lines to help them stay conscious, or some people lying in these hospital beds fighting for their lives as I could really hope Ara wasn’t one of those patients.

Then suddenly, as I lost sight of the nurses that followed me, I saw an open door to a room where blue strands of hair were sprawled everywhere. My legs simply guided me there quickly, the buzz of machines filling the air as I could only look at the girl lying there almost lifelessly.

Her slightly tanned skin was paled, almost ghostly so, with her entire being just remaining there limply as I could do nothing but just stare at her.

The beep of the machine following her heartbeats went steady, a good sign albeit her eyes were closed as multiple stitches were on her entire arms and parts of her face where I was sure scars would form. The instant rush of sadness entered through my chest, as if building itself up towards my face were tears finally streamed out once again that day.

“Ara, please open your eyes,” I could only whisper to myself.

It took the nurses approximately three minutes to find me, as they told me to go out because I was not allowed to be there. However, I could only sit on the chair beside the bed, holding onto her hand as I tried to reassure myself that this would end up just fine…

I wasn’t really sure if I believed it myself.