Scarlet

Smile Again

“Jessica told me,” I said through the line the morning after prom, sitting on the window bed with my head leaning on the glass. Ara was silent on the other line for a while, and I wondered what she was thinking about for a moment.

I wanted to be mad at her for doing something so foolish; for not accepting her feelings because judging by how hurt Ara was when they broke up I believed she still loved Jessica. However, from what I understood by my sister was that she thought someone else was in her heart, she just didn’t say who.

For a moment I remembered my heart almost fluttering by the sentence, although I wasn’t sure of why I had hopes so high.

(Although I perfectly understood, but I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to believe it)

“I supposed she did,” she finally said as my hand was twirling on the phone cord. “Guess things change though,” Ara continued as if she was in other thoughts than talking to me, as I wondered about everything that had happened these past months.

My life that was once so static had taken a huge turn the moment I accepted Ara’s request to let her paint me, and I wasn’t sure what to feel about it. I was torn by figuring out if it was for the worst or for the better, as things had changed so drastically for all of us.

“You should talk to Kai,” I then said after a while not knowing how to break the news that may or may not make the girl hate me forever.

I could hear Ara scoff as if I said something stupid, and I didn’t blame her because I knew how tense their friendship had become all because of me. “I would, but only if he wasn’t so damn persistent on playing hide and seek,” she answered and I could only sigh before thinking about what happened that night during senior prom.

I wanted to say we were having a generally good time, dancing to the music and taking photos where we looked nothing less than perfect. I had even bought a new dress for the occasion, a pale blue ball gown my mother insisted on me wearing as she seemed even more excited than me.

When she learned about me dating Kai, she oddly enough didn’t mind despite him not being from the upper class, as she made sure to go dress shopping with me. For once she didn’t scold me or force me to do anything, and I was almost glad by the fact.

My boyfriend, alias my date had picked me up just on time, dressed in an exquisite tuxedo with a tie that matched the color of my dress, although I hated the fact that it reminded me of the hair color to a certain girl.

He even gave me a bouquet of flowers which were honestly lovely, and I thought I would be excited by the fact that he did everything to please me… Although it still didn’t make my heart race, and I despised it.

Even when we won prom king and queen I wasn’t as thrilled at all; it felt as if the crowd were cheering and felt happier than I ever would be for such a title. I smiled and thanked everyone for voting on us after we got our crowns and banners, but I didn’t even care on the inside although this was most girls’ dream.

Nothing seemed to go right for me that night, even though I felt guilty because I knew Kai was trying so, so hard to make me feel happy and appreciated. My heart couldn’t take it anymore when he walked me up to the stairs of my front door late in the evening, just on time as my father wanted to because he even respected my strict parents.

I honestly felt like crying the moment he kissed me, with such emotion that I couldn’t even try to return no matter how much I wanted to. He genuinely seemed to love me so much, but the only thing I could do was fall more and more for his best friend, even when she wasn’t around.

When I awoke from my memory of yesterday night, everything that happened I had to be honest with him as I told him what I felt.

“Ara, I broke up with him.”