Heyyyy cousin!

High school drama - The aftermath

“Ok thanks, I’m on my way now”. I left a brief note for dad on the table with the house keys, got my suitcases and shut the front door. It took me 1 hour by train to get to my destination, not exactly thrilled with whom I was moving in with but it’s a home I guess. After I got off the train, someone came running up to me with open arms and gave me a hug at the station. “Heyyyy cousin! How are you? Geez I haven’t heard from you just over a year now. How’s high school? How’s your dad? Friends? Tell me everything!” There she was, my older cousin ReJin who never takes a breath when she speaks and is always bubbly 24/7. She’s got her own flat near the city and I’m a city girl so it was obvious I had to ask ReJin if I could move in with her. She’s not really my favourite cousin simply because she doesn’t switch off! I get so irritated with her 100 watt smile, non-stop chatter mouth and when we were younger, ReJin would always get me in trouble by playing pranks and blaming me for them. ReJin has always outsmarted me and I don’t allow anybody to outsmart me. Ever. “Please come in. You can just drop your stuff off in the lounge; I’ll take them into your room later. Go ahead and relax, I’ll be making a nice cup of tea. Do you want one?” “You know I don’t like tea so why offer to make me one?” “Haha it’s been so long that I’ve completely forgotten what you like and don’t like but no matter, more for me!” I sat down on the leather chair. The lounge was quite big, two long leather chairs, cream wallpaper, 36 inch TV, laminate flooring and a massive stereo system with two large speakers mounted up on the walls. ReJin came in with her tea and sat down on the leather chair opposite me. “Alright, let’s play catch up. You go first” “well I’m in my last year of high school, dad’s fine, my friends... we’re not really talking, finals are in two days but...” “Hold up! What in the world are you doing here visiting me? You should be at home studying for finals” “wait, I’m not finished! I won’t be taking finals because me and my friends got into a brawl at a bar so we’ve been suspended from school so dad kicked me out because of that but Je mi’s been accepted into uni” “That’s great, I knew she was a smart cat. You would have been too if you had focused. Are you ok? I think you need some air” “yeah I might just go for a walk and think”. the more I think about Je mi’s news, the more angry I get and I’m sick of constantly being under her shadow and I think it’s time she got a little dose of how I live.