Chapter 8

Perfect Match

You'd be surprised how often people mistake others for someone they're looking for.

Especially Donghae.

Because he's an absolute idiot who's trying to figure out where Hyukjae is because this rude son of a wouldn't reply to his texts or pick up any of his calls.

So at 9 am on a weekend (how do you people wake up so early... I don't think I've ever done that before), he set out on a quest to find his MIA boyfriend.

Donghae's first stop was Hyukjae's house, but because he didn't have a car (ㅜ_ㅜ), he ended up taking the bus. When he got on, there was a man sitting down a few steps away from him. His head was down, and he was scrolling through his phone. All that was visible was his black hair.

Black?

Yeah, Donghae reasoned that Hyukjae got his hair dyed again.

So, ever so embarrassingly, he shouted.

"HYUKJAE!"

I feel so bad for that man. Donghae just ran towards him and hit him up the back side of his head. The man's head shot up and he gripped his head as he grimaced, and when Donghae saw this man's face, he slowly backed away and got off at the next stop. He then got onto the next bus that came.

When Donghae got to Hyukjae's stop, he was still feeling kinda embarrassed so he ran off quickly. He exited into a giant roadside market with vendors selling vegetables, fish, umbrellas, really anything. He took a minute to look at all the things that they were selling, and when he reached the fish, the vendor had his back turned so that it faced him, so all Donghae saw was blond hair this time. 

Donghae, you, I can't.

Donghae, still cautious about the bus incident whispered gently, "Hyukjae?"

The man turned around, and he cocked his head to the side. 

"My name's Baekhyun, hyung. We go to the same school. Hyukjae put me together with my boyfriend, don't you recognize me?" Donghae realized his mistake and bowed a few times to apologize before he rushed out of the market. While he was running down the street, he thought it was crazy how many people looked like his boyfriend. He saw a few more while he was running away, and so, sick of it, he just sat down on a bench at the side of the road and closed his eyes.

After a while, he woke up to soft prodding in his arm. Still groggy, he turned his head a bit and saw strawberry blond hair.

Sleepily, he questioned if it was Hyukjae again, and the person just giggled before popping fully into Donghae's view.

"Do you really miss him that much that you think I'm your precious boyfriend? News flash, I'm Sungmin!"

Donghae just blinked a few more times before he fully awoke, and sitting in front of him was indeed Sungmin.

"Minnie, do you know where Hyukkie is then? He won't answer any of my calls or text me back, and that's making me really angry, but I'm also really worried, because what if something really bad happened to him? I don't think I could handle it if Hyukkie was hurt."

Sungmin just smiled at the over-imaginative boy and pulled him in for a hug. He held him awhile, and then he gripped his shoulders and looked at him from arm's length.

"Donghae, don't you worry, because I'm positive that Hyukjae is absolutely fine. He can take care of himself, don't you think? Now, have you checked his house to make sure he was there? Because judging by how you were passed out here, you didn't make it there. How about I walk with you there?"

Donghae nodded his head and stood up to walk with Sungmin. The older male was right, even if he was mad at Hyukjae, he missed him a lot. He just wanted to snuggle up to his boyfriend and forget about everything else. 

While they walked, they talked about random things, ranging from the weather to what they wanted to do when grew up. They both forgot what they were supposed to be doing, so when they passed by an ice cream shop, they went in to get some cold, milky treats.

Donghae got chocolate and Sungmin got something eccentric like mangosteen and starfruit or the like.

They chatted and talked some more, all the while lapping up the ice cream that was threatening to drip down their hands and onto the table, creating a sticky, sugary mess.

Sungmin finished his ice cream before Donghae did, and while waiting for the brunet to finish it, he got a phone call.

"Hello? Hmm? Right now? Okay, I guess, I'll be there soon. Alright, love you too, bye." Sungmin hung up his phone, and with an apologetic look, he turned towards Donghae.

"Hae, look. I really had a good time with you today, but I gotta go. My mom just called me, and she needs me to help her pick up the groceries or something. You know how to get to Hyukjae's house from here, right? I hope he's there. Before I leave, here's a question for you. What's the date?"

Before Donghae could answer, the strawberry blond was already out the door. He gave the man a final wave before he half-heartedly kept eating his melted ice cream. It didn't even taste good anymore, so he threw it out and sat back at his table for a few minutes.

He missed Hyukjae.

The last question Sungmin had asked him struck him as odd. He hadn't even bothered to stay to hear the answer, so why had he asked in the first place? Curious, he pulled his phone out to check the date, and suddenly most of the pieces fit.

Today was October 15th.

Donghae had just been given a new sense of hope, and gathering it all up, he ran out of the store and sprinted towards Hyukjae's house. Sure enough, when he got there, all the lights were off and it appeared as though there was nobody inside.

Key word, appeared.

Just to make sure that he wasn't about to barge into an absolutely empty house with no occupants inside and be accused of robbery, he knocked a few times and then put his ear against the door. Sure enough, he heard some shuffling and muffled whispers, yet nobody came to answer the door. He knocked again, and still no one opened the door. So, he took the spare key from under the rock, and opened the door.

"SURPRISE!"

Donghae's face lit up as he looked over all the guests that were here just to celebrate his birthday. There was Heechul, Ryeowook, Jongwoon, Kyuhyun, Sungmin, Jungsoo, Hangeng, Kibum, surprisingly Siwon, Donghae's mother, Hyukjae's mother and father, and of course, Hyukjae.

Also a lot of other people, but let's spare the details. We're all here for the eunhae, yes?

Hyukjae had his arms wide open for Donghae, and as expected, the boy wriggled his way through the crowd and into his loving boyfriend's arms.

Hyukjae leaned down his head so that his mouth was positioned right beside Donghae's ear, and whispered just loud enough for the younger to hear.

"Happy birthday Hae. I missed you."

Donghae just smiled sweetly as he grabbed a fistful of Hyukjae's shirt. He reveled in the warmth of his boyfriend's body as he sighed a sigh of content.

"I missed you too, Hyukkie. Next time, even if you're going to plan a surprise party for me, tell me so that I don't miss you as badly as I did today. I was really sad."

"Aww, sorry baby. I'll make sure to do that next time. Now how about we have some fun at your birthday party before we send everyone home and have some fun on our own?"

Hyukjae wiggled his eyebrows suggestively at Donghae, and he just snorted and shoved away his boyfriend before turning and intending to walk towards his parents, when a thought occurred to him.

"How did you convince Siwon to come? How did you have the heart to let him come?"

Hyukjae smiled and laughed a bit before ruffling Donghae's messy hair.

"You know, just because you guys broke up, doesn't mean you can't still be friends. I'm also pretty sure that that's what you guys agreed to be after you broke up, so I don't really see a problem here. And I let him come because I heard the full story from Sungmin, who coincidentally also invited that horse. So go say hi or something. I'm here all day, but I'm pretty sure he isn't."

Donghae just nodded as he gave Hyukjae another quick hug and snuck in a peck before he made his way towards Siwon. He was currently talking to Kibum about what he did for a living and other things that were completely irrelevant to Donghae, but he still managed to worm his way into the conversation.

"Hey Kibum, Siwon, what are you talking about?" Donghae asked so inconspicuously. However, neither of the two men seemed to care and they just carried along with their conversation with the new addition of Donghae. They spoke about school, grades, aquariums, fish and anything that had any relation to any of them. It was a mess, really, but hey, if you're having fun, why not?

Eventually, Donghae got bored because the only thing they were talking about now was what Kibum did at the aquarium, and Donghae already knew all about that. He used to feed the dolphins and the penguins, sweep the floors, buy fish food for the fish, and take inventory of all the things they needed, but now Donghae and Hyukjae did those things, not that Kibum told anybody. Donghae had made it clear long ago that he didn't want anybody to know about his little... fascination with sea creatures, however everybody still called him a fish because when they were in middle school Hyukjae accidentally called him that once and nobody questioned why. It just happened. He was always good at swimming too, so everyone thought it natural to call him as such.

Kibum went on and on, boasting about how he had such a large work load for a 20 year old but Donghae was just silently seething at him because now that he and Hyukjae could legally work, Kibum dumped all the manual labour onto them and took the money. 

.

But he and Hyukjae did it anyways because, to be honest, it was fun and they got to spend time with each other.

After he finishied tuning Kibum out, Donghae turned to strike up a conversation with his ex, but Siwon seemed utterly intrigued by Kibum to the point that it made Donghae extremely uncomfortable, so he just backed away without the intention of ever approaching either of them ever again and ran towards his parents who just made fun of him and congratulated him for turning 16. Behind him, he heard a snickering and saw Kyuhyun and Sungmin trying to hold in their laughter from watching the whole ordeal between him, Siwon and Kibum to him being absolutely patronized by his parents. Playfully angered, he ran over and put both of them in headlocks and they had a fake wrestling match with tumbles and light punches that ended in laughter and giggles. 

Today was a good day.

The party continued on like that, with Donghae speaking to his friends and in general just having fun. He met up with some of his friends that he hadn't seen in a very long time, like Yunho, Minho, Sehun and many others, and he wondered just how much Hyukjae had thought this out and how long it took him to locate all of these people.

And suddenly he realized how much Hyukjae really meant to him.

After Hyukjae and Donghae finally sent everyone home (with the exception of Hyukjae's parents (because, well, they're already home)), Donghae pounced on Hyukjae who just managed to catch him and collapse onto the couch. Donghae gave him a kiss filled with love, caring, and gratitude. When they pulled away, they stared into each other's eyes and Donghae's were once again filled with tears (this time from happiness) and Hyukjae's were filled with love and they were so gentle as they looked at Donghae; the two just worked together.

There are no proper words to describe the two of them. They are who they are, and they just make it work between them because they understand each other. They belong, and nothing can pull them apart, no matter how hard they try. Donghae is Donghae and Hyukjae is Hyukjae, but together they are something beautiful that we may never understand no matter what we do. Maybe we are destined to just admire from afar as we watch their beautiful relationship bloom.

"I love you, Hyukkie."

"You know I love you too, Hae. I always will."


A/N: na na nananana nanana, nana nanana, nanananana (lalalala), na na nananana nanana, nana nanana, nanananana (lalalala)~ its been stuck in my head because i havent stopped listening to it. its such a good song! and yoo young jin's voice is amazing...

sorry about the last part of this chapter. i just kinda lost the feeling for writing about them because i feel like im just reiterating what ive previously said, so that ooc part happened. hope you enjoyed this chappie tho!