Chapter 5

Perfect Match

Do you know that feeling when everything just goes absolutely wrong, as wrong as it can get, and the one person that you didn't want to be there at that moment was watching you and everything that happened?

Hyukjae does.


Right before their lunch break started, Hyukjae spent the rest of math class planning out how he would confess to Donghae.

(Is confess the right word? He's kinda just gonna ask him out.)

The 'confession' had been pushed a few days because he couldn't even see Donghae through the sea of people and presents that were surrounding him. Everytime he made out that tuft of brown hair, it was immediately smothered by more people than he was sure went to the school.

Anyways, the blond made a mental note to go out and buy a bouquet of roses and some Nemo shaped chocolates. Because he's a hopeless romantic and Donghae loves Nemo.

Not that a lot of people know that.

After he buys the necessities, he's going to corner Donghae into an empty classroom, of course with the help of Heechul, and on the board there'll be the words 'Will You Go Out With Me, Lee Donghae?' He'll give the brunet the flowers and chocolates and they'll live happily ever after.

He hoped.

As soon as the bell rang, Hyukjae was out the door. He texted Heechul the details, then hopped into his car and drove towards the closest Beanermunky. Unfortunately, his name is not Jennifer, so no free ice cream for him today. 

After purchasing the colourful fish chocolates, he drove to a florist and bought a hell of a lot of roses. His car was gonna smell like them for a really long time, but he was pretty sure that in the end, it would all be worth it. 

To make sure that his efforts didn't go to waste, Hyukjae sped back to school, avoiding the cops three times and having 20 minutes to get the classroom ready.

He opened the door to the music room and praised Heechul and Jongwoon for their excellent work. There were rose petals everywhere and candles littered the floor. The curtains were drawn and the lights were off, and there was a tiny box that Hyukjae was to stand on to make him stand out from everything else.

He waltzed over to the board so that he could start writing his message, when he suddenly heard the door click open.

Surprised and a tiny bit embarrassed about being caught in the middle of his preparations, Hyukjae spun around and stared at the figure in the doorway, shock painted on his face.

He took a few cautious steps towards the person and they took pride in their strides as they advanced as well. Soon, they were face to face (well, Hyukjae was slightly looking down) and Hyukjae whispered out his words.

"What are you doing here?"

In front of him was none other than Lee Jieun. His ex-girlfriend from middle school. She had the guts to come up to him after dumping him for some tall, buff jock, and leaving him heartbroken for about a week. Only a week though, because then something magical happened.

She at least had the sense to look ashamed, so when she opened to explain herself, Hyukjae let her. 

"Look, Eunhyuk-"

"Nope. I go by Hyukjae now, so call me that and keep going."

Jieun looked startled for a few seconds before she cleared , patted down her skirt and stood up straight. Then, she continued.

"Look, Hyukjae. When I broke up with you in middle school, I thought it was the best choice I ever made. Kris took me everywhere, and he bought me whatever I wanted. I never had to worry that he didn't have enough money, or that he was getting tired of buying me every little thing. But pretty soon, after looking past all the presents and the jewelry, the clothes and the makeup, the purses and the shoes-"

"Jieun."

"Right. After looking past all of that, I realized that nothing else about our relationship was working. Yeah sure, he's a tall rich kid who plays basketball, and that looks great for me, but we didn't have a connection, not like you and me. When we went on dates, we just went on our phones and didn't talk. When we hung out together we'd just ignore each other and sleep. Nothing we ever did with each other was with the other person. Soon, I started comparing him to you, and I realized that I miss you. I missed the little things we did with each other, and how we would go on dates to places that we both loved and we would talk about them for days afterwards before our next date. It was everything that I wanted, and now I would give anything to have it back. So Hyukjae, my sweet, sweet, Hyuk- no. My sweet Eunhyuk. Will you take me back, this girl who was stupid enough to even let you go in the first place? Because I wouldn't hesitate to take you back in a heartbeat. We can go on all those dates that we talked about. The one to the aquarium, the one picnic in the park, the trip to Times Square during New Years, all of them. Kris was a mistake, one that I would go back and erase if I ever could, but I can't. So, can we give it another shot?"

Hyukjae took everything in. Everything that happened between him and Jieun was long ago history, but here she was, asking him to take her back. That she made a mistake.

But that didn't matter now. Now he had someone else that he wanted to take to the aquarium, to the park, to Times Square to celebrate New Years. He had someone else that he wanted in his life. 

With a pained smile, he tried to explain it to Jieun.

"I-I'm sorry Jieun, but that can't happen. You're way too late, and even if you weren't, I don't think I would be able to take it if you ever did that to me again. After you broke up with me, I'm not gonna lie, I was a complete mess. It took me a while to put myself back together, and definitely not without the help of other people. I really liked you, but we just weren't meant to be. No, I'm not just saying that because a flimsy piece of paper told me, but I'm saying it because that's really how I feel now. I'm sorry that you and Kris didn't work out, but I'm not gonna be a second choice because that'll make you look like more of a catch so others can come pick you up and leave me bleeding from the pain again. I'm taking my chances with someone that I actually like, and I hope that they'll give me a chance. So please, Jieun-"

All that Hyukjae registered next was a pair of lips pressed up against his, and as reflex his eyes fluttered shut and his hands made their way towards Jieun's waist as the kiss was filled with so many emotions; of desperation, pain, anger, sadness, understanding, and most of all, regret.

That was when he heard it. It wasn't loud, but it was loud enough to reach his ears. He pushed Jieun away and his gaze flickered towards the slightly ajar door, and he saw familiar chocolate brown eyes b with tears before they, along with their owner turned away and sprinted down the hall.

"Donghae..."

Hyukjae ran out of the room and into the hall before looking both ways, but Donghae was nowhere to be seen. Releasing a cry of anger, he turned to the direction he saw Donghae scamper towards and dashed down as quickly as he could, but to no avail. 

Donghae was gone, and so were all his chances of getting the boy of his dreams.


 After Heechul and Jongwoon had finished decorating the room, Jongwoon went off to find Ryeowook and his turtle while Heechul went to find Donghae. 

With only ten minutes left to spare, he finally found the brunet sitting in the gym with Kyuhyun and Sungmin throwing around a dodgeball as they complained about how bored they were.

Heechul took that as his cue and without warning, dragged Donghae away from his friends and into the hall.

"Hey, hey! Let go! Who do you think you are? Let go of me before I hurt you- hey stop that! Ow! What the helllllo Heechul, um, nice to see you. I didn't know that was you, so um, forget everything I just said." 

The younger then gave off a nervous laugh and took a small step back, not wanting to get hurt by the diva of the school. The man had a nice backhand slap.

Heechul just rolled his eyes before taking out a slip of paper.

"Listen kid, I need you to go to the music room and get me this. I'd do it myself but I'm too fabulous so go do it for me. If you don't, then don't think I've forgotten about the comments you made to me not too long ago."

Donghae just nodded visciously before speed walking down the hall, looking over his shoulder every few seconds to make sure that Heechul wouldn't surprise attack him and murder him.

When he got to the music room, he heard talking from outside. Not wanting to be rude, he opened the door just enough for him to see inside, and he saw Hyukjae with some girl that he didn't know. The room was decorated rather ricely, and there were chocolates and flowers on the table near them, so Donghae thought that Hyukjae must be confessing.

Ahh, so that's why he hasn't been asking me out.

He knew it, but it didn't stop it from hurting. He could already feel the tears ready to spring from his eyes, but he kept watching. He saw Hyukjae smile at her, then he was talking, and he was talking for quite a while, before they suddenly kissed, and he should have expected it, but to be honest, it did surprise him so he gasped. He gasped, and it was much louder than he wanted it to be. Too loud. Because of it, Hyukjae turned, and Donghae could've dealt with a lot. He could've dealt with a look of offense, a look of shock, a look of anger or guilt or really anything, but the pained look in Hyukjae's eyes was too much for him, and before the tears could spill, he sprinted down the hall and out of the front door before anybody could say anything to him.

He didn't want anybody to know how much that little kiss meant to him, and how much his heart broke at just the sight of it.

He skipped the rest of the school day and just ran home where his concerened mother greeted him and asked him what was wrong, but he knew that if he talked about it, it would just make it all the more real and make his dreams all the more as dreams, so he just shook his head and made his way up the stairs, into his room and under the covers where he just cried, and he didn't stop for god knows how long.

He was tired of acting like he was okay with everything, and he just let everything out.

After calming down a bit, he poked his head out from under the covers and looked at the one picture on his dresser that he took with Hyukjae at the aquarium when they were in grade seven, and he couldn't take it. He got up and smashed the picture against the wall. He watched the glass shatter as the frame and the photo fell disgracefully onto the floor, and he fell with them onto his knees before his sobs got louder and louder as he pathetically hit the shards with his hands. 

His hands were bleeding and the pieces of glass jutting out of them them hurt, but it was nothing compared to the pain he felt in his heart. 

He wasn't going to school tomorrow. Maybe not for awhile. 


A/N: sorry, looks like things just got a little rocky... whats gonna happen? (just goes to show that im only good at angst)

also, for those wondering, beanermunky is a local chocolate store where i live and they have this thing where everyday a different name is on the board outside and if thats your name then you get free ice cream. make sense?

ps did anyone know what beanermunky was before i told you? cause if you do, youre awesome and you should totally tell me and yeah. living in the same area and all.