Chapter 10

Perfect Match

"Aww Hae, are you still thinking about Hyoyeon? Don't worry, even when you told them to pick their perky little asses up, your is the only one I would look at." Hyukjae gave Donghae a greasy wink and laughed when Donghae looked so conflicted. Was that a compliment? Either way, the brunet didn't know whether to smile at Hyukjae, hit him, laugh, or blush, so he just settled on smiling very fakely and looking a bit weirded out before returning to his food at once thinking that he really ought to move to Alaska.

Hyukjae didn't appreciate that, so he poked Donghae's elbow once with his chopsticks.

"Hae."

Nothing.

Poke. "Hae."

Poke, poke. "Hae."

Poke, poke, poke."Lee Donghae."

Poke. "Yah, Lee Donghae!"

Still nothing.

Frustrated, Hyukjae just puffed out an angry huff and crossed his arms over his chest. Seeing this, Donghae took out his phone and started texting somebody. Hyukjae didn't know who, but obviously it wasn't good, because Donghae was immediately being all smiley and giggly as he read the texts.

Why didn't he laugh with him like that?

Did he do something wrong?

Suddenly, Hyukjae felt very defeated on the inside. Well, perhaps that isn't exactly the correct word. His insides felt very tight, and it hurt a lot. He felt sad and angry, but he didn't know- ah. It was called angst.

He did not want to admit it, but rather than jealous, Hyukjae was just sad. He knew that he probably wasn't enough for Donghae, hell, he was absolutely amazed that the younger even agreed to date him, but when you had someone like Choi Siwon as your ex, that can put a lot of worries into you no matter how many times you've been reassured.

He really did care for Donghae with his entire being. Anybody would, the boy just screamed at you to protect him. The fact that they were both still technically children who didn't 'really' know what love was yet didn't help.

Hyukjae wasn't stupid, no, quite the opposite, actually. He knew that deep down, there was at least a small inkling in Donghae that did actually care for him, did like him, otherwise the entire Hyoyeon fiasco never would have existed. But the nagging feeling that he didn't mean as much to Donghae as Donghae did to him was devastating.

Not in the mood for food anymore, Hyukjae glanced back over to his boyfriend, but unfortunately he was still glued to the screen. The blond sighed, put down his chopsticks and packed his things up. Donghae gave him a glance but dismissed it quickly. Then, Hyukjae got up and lightly hit the younger on the shoulder to get his attention.

"Hey Donghae, I'm gonna head out first, okay? Umm, see you later I guess."

Donghae suddenly looked very alarmed when right after that, Hyukjae didn't wait and just decided to walk away. He hadn't finished eating yet, but Hyukjae had. He felt bad for always making the blond wait, but this felt... Weird.

While he stuffed things into his bag, he called out to Hyukjae.

"Hyukjae, hold on a second!"

But then Hyukjae just turned around and gave him a sad smile which cause Donghae to stop everything he was doing.

"W-what's wrong, Hyukjae? Did something happen?" The blond shook his head sadly and looked down, up, down, back to Donghae.

"Hey Donghae, just take your time, okay? Don't worry, but I'm just gonna go. Keep eating your lunch."

Hyukjae walked away and Donghae slumped into his chair. He stared down at his phone which still registered the conversation he was just having with Donghwa.

What happened?

Donghae disregarded what Hyukjae said and finished stuffing everything into his bag. He wasn't hungry anymore. When he turned back go see if Hyukjae really had left, he was leaning against the door frame looking very uncomfortable as Hyoyeon was slowly inching closer towards.

Donghae felt himself getting ready to kill a when the blond somehow managed to get himself away from Hyoyeon. He took this as his cue and he shot out of his seat towards Hyukjae.

When he got into the hall, however, Hyukjae was gone.

Feeling disheartened, he slowly walked down the hall, and when he neared the corner, he heard someone crying and the soft sounds of another comforting them.

Donghae peeked his head around the corner a tad, and he saw Hyukjae with his head down and in his hands while Heechul hugged him and rubbed his back, trying to calm down his friend.

The blond was sobbing his heart out.

The brunet was dying, not being able to help.


Donghae's day dragged on and he went through all of his classes, but to him, nothing really happened. There was no meaning to his day when he knew that Hyukjae was somewhere suffering, and it may have been his fault. 

He had tried texting and calling Hyukjae, asking around, even trying to find Heechul, but no one knew anything and Hyukjae wouldn't answer him.

He was so distressed and he didn't know what to do.

The more he thought about it, the more he came to the conclusion that he was the cause for Hyukjae being this way. He made Hyukjae leave, made him cry, made him run away from his problems.

Sungmin and Kyuhyun had tried to cheer him up, but honestly, what did they expect if Hyukjae wasn't there?

Hyukjae had walked with him everyday to the bus stop, but what now? They were supposed to go out today to the café down the street, but it didn't seem likely anymore.

Right after that thought, Donghae finally received a text from Hyukjae.

He pulled his phone out and immediately got prepared to call him, when he read the contents of the message.

Hi Hae! Don't worry, everything's fine. There was just a little mishap back at home so I don't think I can meet up with you today after school. Sorry.

Hyukjae had lied to him.

Donghae put his phone away and laid his head on his desk. 

He was tired.


When the final bell signifying the end of school finally rang, Donghae pulled himself to his locker. He walked almost lifelessly towards the school doors, when he saw the familiar tuft of blond hair.

He had almost reached the end of the hall by the time Donghae saw him, so he sprinted towards him and watched the slow figure getting closer and closer. When he reached him, he clutched his shirt in his fist and tucked his head right between Hyukjae's shoulder blades so that Hyukjae couldn't see him. He took a deep breath to calm himself down, then another, and then he blew out a puff of air.

"L-look, Hyukjae, if we're g-gonna do this, we n-need to tell each other about any p-problems or worries we're having so that like this doesn't happen! I d-don't know what's wrong with you, and it isn't making anything better because now I feel bad and I don't know what I did! If I even did anything! All I know is that I was h-having an amazing time j-just being able to sit with you, then I remembered I needed to t-talk to Donghwa, and, and, and then y-you left and when I went to find you you were crying! I had to stand there watching as H-Heechul comforted you. You were crying so much, and I couldn't do anything. Then later, when you texted me about a f-family emergency or some other bull, I couldn't even try to reach you anymore b-because you had so blatantly lied to me. You weren't t-telling me why you were so hurt. It was probably m-my fault anyways, wasn't it?"

He squeezed his eyes together and let a few tears fall down before he loosened his ever tightening grip.

"I-I'm really sorry for anything I may have done, but please talk to me. P-please tell me what I did... I don't want this to happen again... I d-don't ever want to see you crying so much because of me... I love you so much, and, a-and I-I'm s-so sorry!"

Donghae's voice faltered at the end and he burst into sobs, so he quickly released Hyukjae's shirt and backed away while trying to muffle his cries by covering his mouth with his hands. Hyukjae didn't need this from him. He didn't need to deal with any more problems.

He probably didn't want Donghae here anyways.

So the brunet kept his hands over his mouth as he silently cried. He looked at the ground and let the tears come out before he felt that he could talk again. He lifted his hands from his mouth but kept them on his cheeks, head not lifting up.

"I-I'm sorry. I love you so, so much. I'll s-see you tomorrow. I hope."

He whispered it out, turned and ran.


 He took it all in. He was texting Donghwa, he had seen Heechul, he knew he was lying, and when he let go to cry, no matter how much he tried to muffle it, it blared in Hyukjae's ears and tore his heart apart.

So when he tried to run away, Hyukjae whipped around and grabbed his wrist. Tears streamed down his face as he stared at an equally tear-stricken face. They were a mess, but it was one that Hyukjae was willing to clean up.

He hugged Donghae tight to his body and cried on his shoulder.

They stood for a while, not speaking, not moving, just hugging and trying to figure things out.

It was just a soft whisper, but he still heard it.

"I love you too."


 That night, the two had a very extensive conversation. They spoke about their worries, insecurities, troubles and any and everything else that came to mind.

They learned about each other and they worked through their thoughts, and eventually, they fell asleep listening to each other over the phone.

At school, everyone just saw another couple having another fight, then the next day they'd come back with no trouble in the air, but to them, it was an experience. All couples have a few troubles, but in the end, they're just growing pains that help us get through the toughest of times.


그래도 너는 나만큼 더 아프지 않길 매일 바래 수 없이도

long story short they had a fight but now everythings chill

also school started up in canada again so sorry if i dont update very often after this! dont have a ton of work this semester, but still!

see you guys! keep commenting and i love you all ^^

ps how old do you think or know i am? keke ill be mad if you say 7