Chapter 4

Yixing and his way-out-of-his-league-and-bad-boy-crush

Yixing was beginning to get tired. He couldn't remember when he started sitting at the piano, it could have been half an hour ago but then again it could have been 3 hours ago. Yixing lifted his hands from the keys feeling satisfied with his practice today and decided to leave the auditorium. 

 

He was walking back through the music block when he heard a distinctive rock chord progression on guitar and bass along with a heavy drum beat. This could only be the school's resident band El Dorado. Yixing couldn't say he was a fan of rock music, it didn't appeal to him quite as much as classical music but everyone had their own tastes so it was to be expected. The band members were Tao, Jongin, Kyungsoo and the ever so handsome Wu Yifan. Kyungsoo was known throughout school as having the best voice (although this wasn't well received by Jongdae because he thought it was himself), Yixing often found himself performing alongside him in the school concerts. Tao was the bass player and he was the loudest of the four, he would always try and promote the group by using a megaphone standing on top of the school building. This didn't normally go unnoticed by the staff or the students. Yixing was pretty sure that Jongin was Kyungsoo's boyfriend but they seemed to fight a lot, Yixing didn't see the point of a relationship if they were always fighting but that was their own business. Jongin was the drummer and he was by far the most popular guy in school, it was strange to see him walking around school without a trail of girls running after him, this made Kyungsoo extremely jealous and this is what Yixing assumed caused most of their arguments. And lastly, there was Wu Yifan, lead guitarist, backing vocalist and all-round pretty boy in Yixing's eyes anyway. Yixing always saw him around school and this is how Yixing thought his crush started. 

 

At first Wu Yifan was the cold guy in his form that hardly spoke to anyone, he glared at anyone and everyone and seemed to easily get on the wrong side of people. He was aloof and cruel but Yixing couldn't help but think that there was more too him. The way that he sat silently in class and just listened was very admirable to Yixing even though he did the same thing. The way that Yifan glanced up at the board and took notes was bewitching to Yixing and often found at the end of classes that he hadn't taken any notes because he was too busy staring at Yifan. 

 

Yixing quickly looked into the room where El Dorado were rehearsing and was met with the door opening. Yixing was frozen in his tracks by yet another voice. What he have to do to get away from these voices today? 

 

"Hey pianist, can we use the auditorium for rehearsals tomorrow?" Jongin asked loudly, Yixing could hear his voice vibrating in his eardrums. All Yixing could do was nod as he tried desperately to look over Jongin's shoulder to try and get a view of Yifan but Jongin towered over him, he had no chance. 

 

"Thanks" Jongin smiled brightly and turned around and shut the door in Yixing's face. However, once he had done, Yixing had a clear view of a certain someone practicing chords on his guitar. Yifan seemed to be getting frustrated with himself, he kept cursing and throwing his hands up in annoyance every time his hands weren't in quite the right places. Yixing sighed and turned away, it was dangerous to stare through a window at your crush, he could risk someone noticing something. 

 

-~-~-~-

 

Yifan was clearing away the rest of the band's equipment, he was normally left with this job but he didn't mind at all. He treasured his band members and so every now and again, cleaning up after them was the least he could do. The rest of the band had left to do their own thing, Kyungsoo and Jongin had miraculously gotten back together during their rehearsal and were making out in the space of half an hour. Tao had said that he had homework to do but Yifan could tell he was lying, he'd probably gone to hook up with some girls again. 

 

Yifan decided to take a small detour to the auditorium before he left, he had some chords that he just couldn't get his fingers around so practicing in the auditorium could help him out. He dumped his school bag in the front row of the audience and brought his guitar up and plugged it into the amp on stage.

 

After an hour of practice, Yifan still couldn't get these chords, he started to scream and felt frustrated with himself. He'd never had this much of a problem with the guitar before, it was an instrument that he'd always been told that he'd mastered from a young age so the fact that he couldn't get the hang of this was not sitting well with him. 

 

Yifan put away his guitar and was walking up the steps to leave when he turned back and looked at the piano where that boy had been sitting a while before. Before he knew it, Yifan found himself sitting at the piano with his hands place nervously on the keys, he wasn't used to this at all. Even though Yifan had always wanted to play the piano, he'd never found the courage to tell anyone, he didn't even know how to read bass clef! He only knew where Middle C was on the keyboard and he'd figure everything else out from there. He played this Middle C and left his finger there for a while, shifting on the stool, why did this feel so natural? Everything around him in that moment seemed to change as he positioned his fingers into a C major chord and played it. Yifan let out a sigh of relief. 

 

The feeling that the piano gave him was extraordinary, astounding and overwhelming all at once. Yifan was beginning to understand why that boy loved the piano so much. But Yifan couldn't continue like this. He rose from the stool, picked up his things and left. 

 

-~-~-~- 

 

Yixing arrived at home after getting a lift from Chanyeol. He was staggering out of the music block when Chanyeol was leaving after his art class. 

 

"Do you need a ride home?" Yixing nodded and Chanyeol had even taken the decency of leading Yixing up to his door. Yixing thanked Chanyeol immensely before struggling to get his key in the lock before finally opening his flat door. He didn't realise how difficult things could be without his glasses. 

 

Shoving the door open, Yixing dumps his stuff on the floor and stumbles over to the couch where he slumps and sighs, it's been a long day and being bullied by your crush didn't particularly help. He kept running the day's events in his head when he could feel the tears start building up behind his eyes, it was another couple of seconds before he let them fall and once he did they didn't stop. Yixing knew it was pointless, Wu Yifan would never even look his way let alone think about going out with him. He didn't even know if he liked guys for God's sake! 

 

"Yixing, why are you crying? And what happened to your glasses?" Yixing felt slender arms wrap round his neck and was frozen solid. Why? Oh God why her? 

 

Yixing's sister, Yujin, or Yu for short. 

 

This was not the surprise Yixing expected when he came home from school and was certainly not a welcome one. Yixing had been living on his own for the last 3 years whereas his sister Yujin was living with his mother. Yujin felt like she could just turn up whenever she liked but Yixing didn't always her find her company so comforting, she was loud, messy and a right pain. Yujin was two years younger than Yixing but didn't go to school as she was homeschooled by Yixing's mother, this meant that Yujin had a small circle of friends so she saw Yixing as one of her closest friends, although Yixing didn't see her in the same way. 

 

Yixing wiped his face with the sleeve of his school shirt and smiled. 

"I'm fine," he lied "I just haven't had a very good day at school that's all." Now that wasn't necessarily a lie. 

 

Yujin walked round the side of the sofa and sat down beside Yixing. 

 

"I can tell when you're lying Yixing." Yujin was pretty, Yixing of course was biased but he truly believed she was, she had long black hair which came down to her waist which she normally wore in a high bun to keep it out of her face. She had a casual fashion sense, she was wearing jeans with a t shirt with a pair of her favourite boots, you could tell they were her favourites because of how worn and muddy they were. This reminded Yixing of another person's shoes, Wu Yifan's. At this thought, Yixing started to tear up again. 

 

"Now you have to tell me what happened." Yujin reached out her hands to hold Yixing's but he stood up and went to his room,

 

"You can cook dinner for yourself right? I'm not hungry." Yixing said without turning to look at his sister before slamming the door and slumping against it on the side before he started sobbing.