Reliable Neighbor

Connected Hearts

Chapter 8  Reliable Neighbor

 

Getting ready for school, Sena remembered to put all the players data, that she finished last night, in her bag. She had to give the data to Mr. Lee today. While she was tidying up her desk, something fell on the floor when she grabbed her notebook. The item was rolling away while Sena stared at it. It stopped moving when it bumped the closet.

 

 

She took the item and observed it. It was the purple ring she got from the weird woman a few days ago. She almost forgot about it. “This should be giving me a miracle, right?” Sena asked herself. Her eyes gazed at the closet. “Is this phenomenon act from the ring?”

 

 

After thinking for a while, she shook head. It wasn't time to be thinking about that. She had to go to school. When she stood up, she realized that this morning was too quiet, unlike yesterday, there isn't any sound coming from the other side of the closet. “Did he already leave for school?” she wondered.

 

 

She opened the closet and looked around Chanyeol’s room until she spotted him. He was on his bed, covering himself. Apparently he's still sleeping. It was almost 8 a.m and if he didn’t wake up, he would be late.

 

 

Where’s his sister? Is she not going to wake him up?

 

 

Hesitating at first, she decided to wake him up at the end. Sena began to put her right foot into Chanyeol’s room, glancing right and left. After making sure it was safe, she walked to the side of his bed and found him covered by his blanket up to his face. She wondered if he could breathe under that. Sena grabbed the blanket and noticed that it was really warm. Having a bad feeling about it, she quickly pulled it down and found Chanyeol bathing in sweat. The sight made her widen her eyes. His cheeks were red. His body was trembling slightly and his eyebrows were frowning. Sena could immediately tell he was having a fever.

 

 

A voice came from the closet, it was Chanhee. He must be looking for her to go to school together. Yes, she must leave for school right now but her leg felt heavy to leave this room and she couldn’t leave Chanyeol when he was like this. Chanhee called her several times until she couldn’t heard his voice anymore. Maybe her brother thought that Sena already went to school because her room was empty. Nodding her head, she assured herself maybe it’s best for now.

 

 

Turning back to Chanyeol, Sena reached out and rest her hand on his forehead. He was burning. How in the world did this happen? He must be very sick. Sena immediately looked around the room to get a towel and a bowl to be filled by cold water. She did find a hand towel in his bathroom but she couldn’t find a bowl or anything similar. Maybe she must take it from the kitchen. She got out from his room cautiously and noticed the house was empty. His sister wasn’t home... then, what about his parents? She shook her head. No, she had no time to be thinking. All she had to do right now was treat him.

 

 

 

When she went back to the room after preparing the compress and getting the medicine, she could hear Chanyeol softly. Sena quickly went to his side and held his hand. “Park Chanyeol...” she called his name softly, trying to wake him up but he just groaned.

 

 

Thinking that he was alone in this state hurt her. At that time, she noticed that his shirt was wet because of the sweat. After debating mentally, she thinned her lips. She had no choice except to take his shirt off and change it into a dry one. It’s embarrassing but she had to do it. Removing any weird thoughts from her head, she began ing his clothes.

 

 

“Yoo...kyung...”  he mumbled with a husky voice, making Sena stop and peer at him for a moment, monitoring his face.

 

Calling a girl name in such state, he must like her, Sena pondered.

 

 

-----

 

 

Chanyeol slowly opened his eyes. He smelled a good aroma, helping him regaining consciousness. He wondered where the smells came from and tried to sit up and lean on the bed frame even though his head was pounding, but somehow he felt better.

 

 

Suddenly the room’s door was opened and Sena went in with a bowl on a tray in her hands. “Oh, you’re awake.”

 

 

“K-Kang Sena, what are you doing here?” Seeing the girl in his room at the moment made Chanyeol surprised. Sena didn’t answer him and just set the bowl on the table next to his bed. He blinked a few times, still confused about the situation. Assuring his condition, Sena placed her hand on his forehead, making his heart flutter a bit because of the skinship. Or maybe... because of the fever, he didn’t know for sure.

 

 

She sighed, relieved. “Thank god your fever has gone down. Feeling better?”

 

 

He nodded. “But, why are you here?”

 

 

“I just happened to go to your room and noticed you were sick.” She took the bowl and handed it to him. It was chicken rice porridge.

 

 

“You must eat so you can get well soon.”

 

 

“You made this?”

 

 

“Well, it’s not that delicious but I’m sure it’s edible.”

 

 

Chanyeol stared at her and repeatedly ask down inside how could she be here, treating him nicely like this. Seeing him still not eat the porridge, she worried if he was still too weak to eat by himself. “Why? Want to be fed?”

 

 

“No... I’m okay by myself.” He began to eat the porridge. It’s really warm and soft. The moist texture went easily down his throat and it was like the food had a restorative effect. Maybe he still couldn’t taste correctly but somehow he could taste its delicacy. “It’s really good. You must be talented in cooking.”

 

 

“Really? Glad to know it fits with your taste.”

 

 

As continuing his eating, Chanyeol’s eyes fell upon his alarm clock. It is almost 2 at noon. He just woke from a very long sleep and then became aware that Sena should be in school right now. He couldn’t help but feel guilty. “Sorry, because of me, you didn’t go to school today. My bad....”

 

 

She shook her head. “It’s okay. We're neighbours who should help each other.” Sena told him and smiled. “It seems you have been alone like this since yesterday.”

 

 

“Yeah. Maybe I’ll be alone for a week.” When he glance at her, he could tell she was worried. Trying not to worry her, he explained, “I’m used to being home alone. Sometimes, my sister goes to Busan because of her work and my parents, I’m not living with them anymore. They decided to stay with my grandmother and have a peaceful suburb life.”

 

 

“But, you’re sick like this...”

 

 

“Don’t worry, I’m much better. Thanks to you.”

 

 

Chanyeol looked up and saw sorrow in Sena’s eyes. She looked like she wanted to say something but it didn’t come out.

 

 

There was silence between them while Chanyeol ate his porridge and Sena sat still, having anything to do until she suddenly got up. “Oh, right. I’d like to make some side dishes for you if you don’t mind. You’ll be alone for a couple of days so I want to make sure you have a proper meal and won’t be sick again like this.”

 

 

“No, no. You don’t have to. I feel bad troubling you like this.”

 

 

“It’s not troubling at all. Moreover, I just can’t go back to my room for now. My mom doesn’t know about me skipping school, so...”

 

 

“Okay, I’ll help you. We can make it together.”

 

When Chanyeol was about to stand up, Sena held him down. “Just rest. Leave everything to me.” She took the empty bowl and left the room, leaving Chanyeol by himself when he got nothing to do. He laid on his bed but felt somewhat comforted inside.  

 


 

Author's note

I removed the fantasy tag... I was wondering from the start what fantasy genre is actually and I Somehow  thought this fic contain some fantasy but then I thought it wasn't include to fantasy.... thingking that, finally I removed it. 

That doesn't change the story anyway.

Thanks for subscribing this story, if you have any suggestion or comments, please feel free to comment, I'd appreciate it a lot :)