New Worldview

Connected Hearts

Chapter 11  New Worldview

 

For last days, Jongin frequently visited Sena at her class. Yes, they came back to what they used to be, close friend. Like before, he always come to Sena when he’s nervous about the upcoming game. His burden as a captain is large enough and he desperately wants to bring his team to the nationals, moreover last year, their team couldn’t proceed to the national because they had to gave up Incheon’s representative spot to Namgu high at regional’s final. And, as his close friend that had been through all of that together, Kang Sena is the only place where he can put out all his laments and even discuss the strategy for the next game.

 

After she met Jongin at the corridor and entered her class, several pairs of eyes were looking at her. She noticed they stopped talking when they saw Sena walked into the classroom. Surely they talked something about her, but Sena tried to not care about it. She walked to her chair and sat down. MinHye, who sat right next to her, looked eagering to tell her something. But, she still closed . If it’s Minhye, she wanted to know about her thought.

 

"What do you want to say? Just say it."

 

Minhye hesitated at first, but in the end, she decided to tell her chairmate about what’s in her mind. "You know, lately they are talking about you?" she started with low voice.

 

"Really?" Sena actually noticed, but she surpressed her curiousity. So, her guess was right, they were talking about her behind her back.

 

"It’s about your relationship with Jongin. He visits you almost every day." Sena didn’t say a word, just listening to what Minhye was going to say. After glancing at one of classmate that gossiping her earlier, she continued "Don’t you think you should stay away from Jongin?”

 

Sena frowned, "Stay away from Jongin? What do you mean?"

 

"Well, Jongin is with a girl named Hyejin now. But, look at you two. Maybe you just acted like how you used to be, but, they are suspicious with your relationship now and ... you know, some bad rumours are circulating around the school.”

 

Sena was staring at Minhye, she couldn’t understand about this sitation. “I can’t. We only became closer again. What’s wrong with that?”

 

“In this kind of problem, they usually corner the female. I'm afraid if this continue, you will be hurt."

 

Feeling her genuine feeling, Sena patted her friend shoulder. "I'm glad you're worrying about me. But right now, I want to enjoy these moments, though It’s only as a close friend." Sena tightened her grip. She admitted that she was still hanging her hopes on Jongin, the hope that someday Jongin would turn to her. Therefore, until that time comes, she wants to continue to be by his side. Is that wrong?

 

----------

 

The game with Namgu high school ended by score 58-58. Although the result was draw, they were quite satisfied with the game because nothing was regrettable. All players were at their best. That was their best game during this year, that was Sena thought. After the game, Sena realized there were several weakness in the team, and if they could overcome and even improve these weakness, it’s possible that this year the national ticket would go into their hands.

 

After Namgu high was home and the players began to rest, Sena was looking for Jongin. She would like to congratulate him because he is the top scorer today. And, she had to give him his favorite drinks that she bought earlier. It’s a special gift from her. He always drinks this after the game was over. After looking for him for a while, she found him at the back of club’s room. He was drenching his head with water from the tap, cooling his head.

 

Sena inhaled, preparing herself, and approached him. "Jongin-ah."

 

Jongin turned as drying his hair using the towel in his soulder. He seemed surprised to see her. "Oh, Sena-yah."

 

"Congratulations for being top scorer for today’s game!" She handed the drink to him.

 

He received it and smiled, but he still looked not that good. Does he has something in his mind? She pondered. Before she could ask him, Jongin mumbled. "Sorry, we're still not unable to win against Namgu high." 

 

Sena slowly exhaled. So that's why his face was like that. He wanted to win that game no matter what to built team's confidence. But with today's result, it's enough she thought. To cheer him up, she patted his back. "It's okay, you can still improve your ability for regional league this summer."

 

He smiled, a relieving smile this time. He knew talking this kind of problem with her was the right choice for him. “Thanks. Always.”

 

She smiled back at him. “No need to thank me.” After looking at her arloji, Sena then took a step back. “Minhye was waiting for me, I have to go.” Today, Minhye was watching their game and now she‘s waiting for her in the gymnasium.

 

“Alright then. Bye.” He was waving at her as sent her away.

 

When she was about to reach the gymnasium, she turned her body again. She just remembered that she had to deliver coach’s words to Jongin. Maybe Minhye could wait for her a little longer.

 

She was heading there, to the place she found Jongin earlier. But, when she arrived, she found him not alone anymore, he was with Hyejin. At that time, she saw Hyejin handed a bottle of drink to him, the same one with the bottle she handed earlier. But this time, Jongin looked happy, he smiled and hugged her with warm expression. At that time, she realized. She is a girl whom he shared his problem with and Hyejin, she's a girl whom he shared his feelings with. That was the difference between her and Hyejin. Realizing that made her heart hurt, it’s more hurtful than before she grew her hopes for Jongin.

 

Suddenly, a hand grabbed her arm and pulled her away from there. It was Minhye’s. Somehow she felt grateful to Minhye for helping her run away from there.

 

---------

 

Sena and Minhye sat facing each other at a bubble drink shop. Seeing her friend just stirring her drink and not even trying to drink it, a sigh escaped from Minhye’s lip. “So, what will you do from now on?”

 

Not knowing what to say, Sena shook her head.

 

Minhye sighed again. “The truth is, unless you let go, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.”

 

Sena stopped stirring. To let him go. Since the beginning, she knew she had to do it. But, she was blind by her desire to be with him. She then stared Minhye right into her eyes with anxiety. “What should I do? It’s hard to let this feeling go.”

 

Thinking of a way to help Sena, Minhye thinned her lip. No matter how much she thought about it, the answer was only one. “Start a new love.”

 

Her beautiful eyes glanced at Minhye’s, assesing her words earlier. “A new love?”

 

Minhye nooded, “I’ll ask my friends to invite us to their matchmaking party. They frequently hold the date with guys from another school.”

 

Minhye was about to take her phone but Sena grabbed her arm fast. “No, think about another way. I’m not ready for a new love yet.”

 

Sena was a slow pace type and Minhye knew about that. “Alright, I won’t force you.”

 

-------

 

Hearing knocking sounds from the closet, Chanyeol got up from his bed and opened the closet, just to found Sena was there.

 

“May I borrow your balcony for a moment?” her voice was soft.

 

He assessed her face. There was something wrong with her, he could see from the sorrow in her eyes, but he couldn’t ask her ‘what happen’. He just nodded. “Sure.”

 

Opening the balcony door, she felt the breeze entered the room gently. There’s nice feeling everytime she was here and she liked it.

 

“Do you want some coffee?” asked Chanyeol.

 

She shook her head. “No, thanks.”

 

Noticing Chanyeol was approaching her and standing by her side, she turned her head. “Did I disturb you?”

 

“Not at all. I was bored anyway because there’s no one home tonight and I get nothing to do.”

 

Few minutes passed in silence before she opened her lip again. “Do you remember about our conversation here days ago?”

 

“About the stars and the lights?”

 

“No, it’s about to let go or hold on.”

 

Of course he remember, because that was the time he made his choice to move on. He glanced at Sena only to find her smiled bitterly. “You were right. Holding on to someone who never loves us back is really hurts. It’s more hurtful than to start letting him go.”

 

Chanyeol stared her for a few seconds, taken aback at her saying. The next thing he knew, he realized that Sena was going through the similar problem as him and somehow, maybe because of the empathic side of him, he wanted to help her.

 

“Do you want to go somewhere?”

 

-------

 

Hongdae at night was filled with a lot of people. Tonight was Saturday night and Hongdae’s one of the most popular places to hang out with friends in Seoul. It was first time for Sena to be in there, she was quite surprised by how loud and busy this place was, but in positive way. There’re many food stalls, shops with attractive goodies, and also cafes along the street. And then, Sena’s eyes fell into  a bunch of people gathered, not far from their standing point. And it seemed that he saw it too. With sparkling eyes, Chanyeol took her into there. Sena knew the guy was really excited about this.

 

As she reaching the crowd, she could hear the music louder and louder. It turns out there was a small music event, which currently there were two men were singing and the spectators were enlivening the atmosphere. Chanyeol and Sena were clapping along with other spectators as the two men finished the song.

 

After that duo were going off from the stage—not a real stage but a positive space in the center of the crowd­—, the host was asking the spectator while raising his hand. “Does anybody else want to show off his skills?”

 

Suddenly, Chanyeol raised his hand, making Sena surprised. Furrowing her brows, Sena stared at him who just smiled mischievously and then went to the stage with confidence.

 

'What is he doing? Does he want to sing?' Sena pondered. She looked around, all the spectator were eagering to see his performance.

 

The music was starting as Chanyeol shouted with his mic on, “Yeah, throw your elbows up!”

 

As soon as the spectators knew what song it is, they suddenly got back to life and cheered as raising their hands. Chanyeol then was jumping repeatedly and the spectators were following him. Meanwhile Sena, she’s a bit perplexed, still confused about what’s going on actually. Chanyeol, with his music. It’s unexpected for her because she never knew about this side of him. Moreover, she didn’t familiar with the song. But, it was catchy actually.

 

The rap was finally starting and Chanyeol started to rap. His words was flowing, leaving a great impression for Sena and making her amazed. It gave her a weird feeling, and the next few seconds, she found herself jumping along with other spectators. When Sena was enjoying his performance like that, Chanyeol grabbed her arms to pull her into the stage and join him. She refused at first, but after looking at Chanyeol’s eyes, she decided to go along with him. She was crazy for real, she thought. She even laughed for finding her self at the center of the crowd together with Chanyeol, jumping along with him in front of bunch of people. Even so, she was enjoying this moment.

 

--------

 

“I don’t know you are a rapper. You’re so awesome!” She said after they’re leaving that music event to find some cafe.

 

“Well, I learn many things in my school.”

 

“Oh, right. I forgot about you going to performing art school. It’s great! Show me your another skills sometime. Do you play guitar? Piano? Or maybe drum?”

 

“Well...” seeing her excitement, he grinned, somehow he felt contented. He almost regretted his desicion for choosing his current school and now, he remembered that it was for his dream. He found his way back.

 

While looking at the night sky, Chanyeol smiled proudly. “Someday, I’ll let you be the first one who listen to my own song.”

 

She nudged, “Because I was your first fan?”

 

“You’re not?”

 

She then grinned, “Yes, I am.”

 

There's no words after that, but they could feel a heartwarming feelings inside. And, without they know themselves, they were healing each other.

 

Out of blue, Sena sneezed.  Maybe because of the night breeze or flu, she didn’t know. Aware of that, Chanyeol stopped walking. “Wait here for me, I’ll come back in few minutes.”

 

She rubbed her nose and nodded. “Okay.”

 

He quickly ran and dissapeared among the people. As looking at his back, Sena chuckled. He must be worried about her.

 

When she was standing, waiting for him, a guy was approaching her. She moved her standing point to avoid him. But, he was following her movement and standing in front of her, making her felt uncomfortable.

 

“Are you alone?” he asked with a scary smile--it was scary in Sena's eyes.

 

“No, I'm with someone.” She answered quickly, showing her uncomfortable feeling.

 

“But, I couldn’t see anyone besides you.” He then took a step forward, and Sena couldn’t help but stepping back. While showing his teeth, he grinned. “It means, I’m alone, you’re alone, we can go together so that we won’t feel lonely.”

 

He was about to touch her shoulder and she was ready to scream, when Chanyeol grabbed that man’s wrist with intimidating eyes.

 

“Don’t touch my girlfriend!”

 

"Ouch!" that man looked in pain when Chanyeol rotated his arm. When his arm was released, that man was apologize to Chanyeol and  ran away.

 

"Are you okay?" He asked while facing her, put his hands on her shoulders. A worry reflected from his round eyes.

 

Sena blinked twice, she could feel a spark of warm feelings rushing through her. At that time, Minhye's voice echoed in her head out of nowhere.

Start a new love...

 


Author's note

I got inspired after watching this video, and I used it as Chanyeol's performance in Hongdae~ kyaa!

It's the longest chapter, about twice longer than normal since I hadn't update for very long time because of my study. I hope you like it :))