His Broken Heart

Connected Hearts

Chapter 3  His Broken Heart

 

The bus began to slow down as it reached it’s bus stop. Among the passengers, there were three good looking boys who were chatting happily in the back seats. One of the boys in the middle turned his head and looked out the window. Knowing where the bus was, he grabbed his bag.

 

“Alright then, I’ll get off here.” This boy named Park Chanyeol, told them.

 

 

Kyungsoo raised his left eyebrow, “Isn’t your house still one more bus stop ahead?”

 

 

“Yeah, but I feel like walking to my house right now.”

 

 

Hearing this excuse, Sehun knew what was going on. It was not the first time Chanyeol acted like this. “It’s just your reason to meet that girl, right?”

 

 

He didn’t admit it nor deny, he just smiled and said,“See you later.”

 

 

Chanyeol stepped down from the bus. Even though his house was still far from there, he really had to get off here so he could pass Cha Yookyung’s house.

 

 

It had been a long time since he last saw Yookyung, his childhood friend. Maybe it was half a year ago. When Chanyeol wanted to see her, he would deliberately pass her house, and stare at it, wondering if she was home and what she was doing right now. He occasionally went to Yoonkyung's house when he was not busy with his school activity. Perhaps if he did that, he could meet her accidentally. Going to different high schools made it difficult to meet each other. They were too busy with their own business. Therefore,  meeting her was precious and he was happy to just greet her or wave at her.

 

 

After he turned right at the intersection, the house could be seen. The white house, two houses from his position. He was walking happily, wondering if he could meet her today. His pace halted when he saw Yoonkyung come out her house with someone. A guy he knew, his friend from junior high school, Byun Baekhyun.

 

 

Park Chanyeol, Cha Yookyung, and Byun Baekhyun, the three were very close and always hanged out together in junior high school. Yookyung and Chanyeol had been friends since elementary school and they decided to get into the same junior high school. And there, they met Baekhyun. They also promised to enter the same senior high school together again. But Chanyeol took a different path. He chose to part from Baekhyun and Yookyung just to pursue his dream in a different high school.

 

 

It was nice to see them two at the moment since it’s been a while. Chanyeol was about to walk up and greet them when he saw Baekhyun lean over to kiss her. He froze, his mind went blank and was still digesting what he saw.

 

 

Chanyeol just stood still, seeing Baekhyun pull his head and then, their eyes met. “Chanyeol-ah.” His eyes grew bigger, surprised to see Chanyeol there. And Chanyeol, he really wanted to run away right now, but his legs felt so heavy.

 

 

Hearing Baekhyun mentioned her childhood friend’s name, Yookyung turned her head. She looked as surprised as Baekhyun. There was silence between the three of them, but then Baekhyun walked toward Chanyeol, trying to break the ice. “Hi, it’s been a while! How are you?”

 

 

Making a curve in his lips was difficult for Chanyeol at the moment, but he still could do it. He was a Happy Virus after all, smiling was like his everyday meal. “Great...” Chanyeol then looked at them one after another. “How about you two?”

 

 

“Y-yeah, we’re fine too.” said Baekhyun.

 

 

Baekhyun and him were chatting away while Yookyung was quiet. She didn’t even glanced at Chanyeol. He realized that something happened between them but he didn’t want to ask anything. He just wanted to ignore what happened earlier. Chanyeol didn’t know what to talk about, he kept talking about random things to Baekhyun. If he could, he wanted to act like anything, like that never happened and forget it, although he desperately want to know the truth. But, he was afraid that the truth was something he never wants to know.

 

 

After laughing from Baekhyun’s joke, Chanyeol and Baekhyun grew silent for a moment. Chanyeol was about to say something random again when Yookyung suddenly said, “Chan-ah, we want to tell you something.”

 

 

Hearing her words, Baekhyun stared at her and nodded like he knew what Yookyung was going to say. Like that, Chanyeol knew he had to face the truth, now or later.

 

 

“W-what do you want to tell me?” he asked, trying to look like he knew nothing.

 

 

Baekhyun his lips and then touched his nape with his right hand shyly, his face also started to grow red. ”Well, I-I’m... with Yookyung... w-we...”

 

 

Cha Yookyung wrapped her arm around Baekhyun’s arm, smiling. “We’re dating.”

 

 

Chanyeol felt like he got hit by a meteor. Those words, the words he didn’t want to hear, he heard it just now. “W-wow, really?” he tried to keep his smiling face. “Congrats!”

 

 

Seeing Chanyeol’s response, Baekhyun was relieved. He was pleased because he finally could tell him about their relationship. “Sorry, we really wanted to inform you that several days ago that we decided to develop our relationship. But we didn’t know how to tell you. I like her as a girl and she likes me as a boy, so as you know, we’re officially dating now.” Baekhyun told Chanyeol happily, not knowing how Chanyeol was feeling in the inside.

 

 

Chanyeol circled his arm around Baekhyun’s neck and rubbed it, messing his hair. “Jasshik! Why didn’t you tell me the news as soon as you confessed?!”

 

 

“I told you already! I was finding a right moment to tell you last time. Let me go!” he struggled to get loose.

 

 

“Alright, I’ll let you go.” Chanyeol said when he saw Yookyung, right into her eyes. And slowly, he released Baekhyun from his arm and took one step back. “I guess I’ll stop bothering you two. It’s time for me to go. Bye.”

 

 

“W-what? You’re going already? Just come in and have a cup of tea...” Yookyung invited him.

 

 

But Chanyeol shook his head. He raised his right hand to wave and smiled, “See you later.”

 

 

-----

 

 

Chanyeol threw his body onto the bed. His head was filled with kinds of thoughts, like Since when she like Baekhyun? What happened between them? Would this still happen if he didn’t choose a different high school?

 

 

But he couldn’t mad at them. He also couldn’t hate them. They are his best friends after all. He was just upset about himself, always waiting for the right moment that never came. Maybe it’s just an excuse. He was just a coward. He was scared it would hurt their eight years of relationship as childhood friends so he couldn’t confess his feelings to her.

 

 

He closed his eyes, trying to sleep and forget everything but it was only 8 pm and he wasn’t sleepy at all. Not knowing what to do next, Chanyeol got up from his bed and ruffled his hair. Maybe some music would calm his head. Thinking that, he the stereo. Music was playing, flowing with his feelings. His heart kept wondering if he really could forget her, sincerely support her relationship with Baekhyun. When he lost himself in his mind, a loud thump could be heard, like something falling. Or maybe... someone falling.

 

 

And there, a girl was lying on the floor in his room. It looked like she fell from the closet. Surprised from what happened, he rose and took his pillow for protection. The girl didn’t move at all meanwhile Chanyeol kept observing her, maybe she could be someone he knew. But he didn’t want to take any risk because a girl could be very dangerous, he knew that, remembering how his sister would be. He slowly reached for a ruler on his desk. And then, the girl began to raised her head. Now he could see her face but... he didn’t know her. She looked very confused.

 

 

Who is she?

 

 

Chanyeol turned off the stereo and took a step toward the girl, of course with the ruler and the pillow to protect himself. He was ready to face this crazy girl. Well, how could a girl randomly enter a guy’s room and hide in his closet if she wasn’t crazy enough to do it.

 

 

"W-who are you?!"