The Prologue [시작]

Black Pearl [Original Ver.]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BGM- Someday by IU [click here]

--------------------------------------------

"Once upon a time, when the powers of light and darkness existed in perfect balance---" 

Hanseul looked up from her desk with a hassled gaze as she zoned out. Leo cuddled up next to her in his domesticaed form. He was so cute as a kitten like that, Hanseul thought as she petted his ears until she heard a soft purr.

She could hear Leo's familiar voice in the back of her mind as he spoke to her telepathically. *Why is professor Choi giving you the same lecture again? We both already know this. The vampires and sorcerers allied themselves together to release the first demons and declared war on the forces of light. And the same war has been going on for almost a century while they release more and more demons each year.* Leo summarized monotonously. 

Hanseul chuckled grimly. *Guess he doesn't want us to forget the state of our kingdom even though we're all so dispersed. I can't help but feel like they're hiding something from me though.* She muttered in his mind as she tapped her chin.

Leo stopped purring and looked up. *Hiding what?* 

*I mean... it's rather strange that they sent Hankyul oppa and I here. Shouldn't we be helping out with the kingdom? Why did we, the werecats, as a race have to disperse? All the other creatures are fine in their own kingdoms. Are they targeting us or something?* 

Leo shrugged. *They probably want to ensure your safety and the next generation of rulers. Who knows.* He said nonchalantly. *I want to go back and fight for our kingdom!*

Hanseul pouted. *At least you have a power. I seem to be the only one in the family that doesn't. Heck, even Yoochun oppa and Daehyun oppa have powers and they're only nobles.* 

Leo sent her a wave of comfort. He already knew what she was and so did everyone else in the house. But all of them were not allowed to tell her until it was time. They did not want to burden her with the fate of a whole world while she was growing up, so it was agreed that they wouldn't tell her until the time was right to return to the magic world.

Leo's ears perked when he heard someone coming down the stairs into the basement. They had been able to get a whole mansion in Seoul, a little isolated from everyone else, where they had raised Hanseul as the princess of Feliane, the werecat nation in the human world away from all of the chaos. It was prophecized a little before she was born, that a wielder of the black pearl, a powerful artifact that could return all the forces of evil to their original forms, would be born to the werecat race.

Since then, the creatures of the dark had been hell bent on  hunting down the werecats, so the kingdom had spread and dispersed to escape the slaughter that would surely ensue. Hanseul's parents sent her and Hankyul away immediately to the human world after they saw that their daughter was born with a pearl naval piercing. Their sixth sense was alerting them that this child had a huge amount of magic in her; the appearance of the oracle only confirmed the palace's suspicions. 

"That child... is a special one. She is the one destined to wield the black pearl..." The oracle had said before he disappeared in a blinding flash of light after his eyes had lingered on the newborn child.

Her parents then organized the dispersement of their kingdom afterwards and immediately sent her and her brother to earth; her brother was assigned the ultimate task of raising the princess in the human world. 

Hanseul had been raised as a princess without a nation. Weird, wasn't it? She knew all of the werecat customs and mannerisms, but she had never encountered any other werecats or any other magical creatures for that matter, except Leo, her tutors, her brother and his friends that came along with her to this world. 

Hanseul pouted. *Even you have a power.* 

Hanseul replayed the memory back in her head. She was about seven and she had been on a walk with her oppa. Hanseul had gone into the forest to play a little bit and she saw Leo there in his domesticated form running away from kids who were trying to grab at his fur. He had just barely escaped a demon raid on his family, and his coat was matted with a bloody red.

She hissed and saved him from the bullies, and she brought him to Hankyul to treat his wounds. Hankyul froze when he sensed one of their kind near Hanseul. Hanseul brought Leo to him, and although Hankyul had argued that it was dangerous to have their kind near them, she adamantly refused to let Leo back into the wild. Hanseul took care of him and nursed him back to health.

Leo smiled. *Because of you.* he thought. 

*Pssh, I had nothing to do with it.* Hanseul responded as she brushed the idea away.

Hanseul didn't know any of this, but it was all because of her. Leo did not have a true feline form. Or rather, he was unable to shift into one, and hadn't had a power until he met Hanseul. 

Since Hanseul was the wielder of the black pearl, the others suspected that she had some uncanny ability to spur other werecats' powers. Leo wasn't from a noble werecat family. He wasn't supposed to have powers. He wasn't supposed to be able to shift into one of the bigger cats. After all, his family hadn't been able to do any of the things above. But he was glad to have found Hanseul, because she saved his life and because she redefined his existence. And for that, he would be forever grateful and loyal to her. He was willing to give anything and everything up for her, including his life. Because of her, he was able to stay by her side as her best friend and family, as someone who could help her and support her in times of need. 

"Dinner's ready!" Yoochun called as he popped his head in the door.

__________

'Come on, Jung Daehyun! Bond, bond, bond, bond, bond to Princess Hanseul! Any day now!' He thought to himself.

Hankyul stopped typing on his computer and looked at the younger boy and chuckled. "Daehyun, trying to form a bond with Hanseul... Again?" He teased.

Yoochun came in through the door and playfully flicked Daehyun on the forehead. "Yah, the bond isn't something you can willingly form. It'll come to you naturally." He laughed. 

"Hyung, like you would know. It can't hurt to try." 

Daehyun had been sent to the human world when he was about eight, a little after they had found Daehyun to be Hanseul's indirect fiancé. He was the son of a duchess and general. The King and Queen of Feliane approved of him as a potential son-in-law, and wanted Hanseul and Daehyun to fall in love together, so ba-da-boom, ba-da-bing, sent to the human world he was. His parents were ecstatic when they heard the offer. Although Daehyun hated the idea at first, marrying some probably snobby princess and being away from his family, he fell

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter