`Story for Laura (Vanilly Sky's Applicant) Part 1

The Proclamations of Love
Story for Laura Heart (Part One)
By ©Imaginatious
Starring,
Laura
Henry
Hankyung

She let out a long and pitiful sigh. Silent cries were heard throughout the room. Slowly, she walked up towards the front of the room. The clatter sounds of her shoes were heard, step by step. She took another deep breath, trying to hold back the tears, she went up to the casket. She took one long look, then crystal like droplets of water came running down her cheeks.

“Shall we begin the funeral service?” The reverend announced, as everyone gathered to their seats. “We're here to embrace the death of Albert Heart, instead of feeling sorrows, we should feel happy, that he's gone to a better place”

Gradually, the words of the reverend faded. All she could think about was how she was going to live. He was her only family, he was the only one that cared for her. She just couldn't believe he was gone. Laura Heart was utterly and completely alone in the world.

After the service, everyone started getting ready to leave. Someone tapped Laura's shoulder lightly, it was a man.

“Are you Laura Heart, miss?” The man asked, Laura nodded her head, “Mr. Heart left a will for you, stop by this address as soon as possible.” He handed her a card, then added, “I'm sorry for your loss”

“Grandpa, why are you doing this to me? Why did you leave?” Laura murmured under her breath as she took one last look before leaving the funeral house.

“Your grandfather, Albert Heart, included you in the will. He has left you his house, and the martial arts school that he owns.” The lawyer informed, while handing Laura a few keys, certifications, deeds to the buildings and a letter. “If there are anymore questions, please contact me”

“Thanks, I will” Laura said as she took the papers and keys and stuffed it in her purse. While getting in her car, she took out the letter and began reading it.

The letter had said,
“To my dearest Laura,
If you are reading this letter, then it means I am no longer with you. Don't be sad, now, I can't stop you from crying, but I'm entrusting my most precious possessions with you. You are the most important person in my life. I remember taking you in when you were only just a baby, you were always obedient. You never gave me trouble in my whole life. I just want you happy, now, do whatever you want with my house and my school. If you decide to sell it, sell it, I know the house is too big for just one person to live in, so sell it. Buy a cheaper house, use your money wisely. You will never be alone in this world, I'm always right next to you, watching out for you. Laura, I've taught you all that I can about life, I've told you all the stories I know, use all the knowledge and wisdom that I provided you wisely. I love you my granddaughter, make me proud. I want you to smile everyday and live happily. It's about time you settled down and find a husband, a man worthy of your love. I give you my blessings in advance, because I know you will never let me down.
Sincerely,
Your grandfather”

Tear drops began to fall upon the paper. Immediately wiping them off her face, Laura looked up at the sky and gave a soft smile. She felt as if her grandfather was smiling right back down at her. “Grandpa, don't worry. I will live a happy life, so I hope you're proud of me”

“Departure for China on flight C324A will be in one hour. All passengers please start getting ready” The overcome was heard as Laura slowly walked towards her gate, gripping onto her carry-on bag, and her ticket, she was ready to start a new life.

“Well grandpa, I'm ready to start a new life, I'm sick of Canada.” Laura thought to herself as she got ready to board the plane.

“Please buckle your seat belts and keep them on until the sign is turned off” The flight attendant informed while checking the passenger's seat belts. Laura got ready and plugged in her headphones into the plane's audio plug. Skimming through the channels, she began listening to Super Junior M's song, Super Girl while lightly tapping her feet to the beat.

A few hours later, “We will be landing soon, we hope you all enjoyed the flight and will come again on China Airlines” the flight attendant said as the plane went into a smooth landing.

Laura got her carry-on bags and began walking to the exit. She didn't really bring anything with her, just her money, a few necessities she needed, and her laptop. It wasn't like she could even bring anything, not since that incident. She took a deep breath, she wasn't in Canada anymore. Whistling for a taxi, she got ready to go to the hotel she was staying at.

Arriving at the hotel, she got into her room right away and laid on the bed, then took a short nap. Waking up, drenched in sweat, she decided to roam around the city. She wasn't used to the hot weather in Shanghai.

The streets were crowded and people were walking in a hurry. Laura decided to examine the scene around her and took snapshots. Laura always had a fascination with photography ever since her grandpa first bought her a panoramic camera. Focused in taking pictures, Laura was knocked over by a woman who was carrying heavy boxes and didn't see Laura.

“Dui bu qi” The woman apologized while putting the boxes down, then checked if Laura was injured anywhere.

“Oh, it's okay, I'm fine, are you okay?” Laura spoke in fluent mandarin.

“I'm okay, I didn't see you there, I'm so sorry” The woman apologized again.

“It's alright, do you need help? You seem to be carrying a lot of boxes there” Laura asked while looking at the boxes the woman was carrying, it all seemed a little bit too heavy for her size. The woman was in her late 40s, and yet she was carrying all these heavy items, Laura couldn't just let her have that burden.

“That would help a lot, thank you” The woman said while giving a few boxes to Laura. They walked into the store and Laura placed the boxes gently on the counter.

“Well, if that's all, then I should get going” Laura said while looking at the time.

“Please, stay, free dumplings on the house, it's the least I could do since you helped me” The woman offered. Immediately, Laura's stomach growled as if it was happy with the offer.

Laura let out a quiet laugh, “I guess I'll take you up on that offer”

With dumplings in her hand and tea in the other, the woman came in and took a seat next to Laura.

“I'm Mrs. Han by the way” Mrs. Han introduced.

“I'm Laura Heart” Laura replied then took a sip of her tea.

“You don't look like you're from around here” Mrs. Han said as she examined the way Laura was dressed.

“I'm not, but I'm living in China now” Laura said.

Mrs. Han had a confused look on her face, “But you're so young! Why are you living by yourself?”

Laura's face saddened, “It's actually...well...you see, my grandpa died recently, and he left his house and martial arts school to me, and I sold it. After I bought my ticket to China, I decided to entrust the remaining amount of my money to one of my distant family members so that when I arrive here, they can transfer the money to me, but...they actually took my money, and they never returned my calls or anything. So right now, I'm just going to try to find someway to make money”

Mrs. Han was shocked by what had happened to Laura, “How about this, you can stay upstairs, and for rent, you can work at this shop, I'll pay you too” Mrs. Han offered.

Laura was shocked, she didn't expect a stranger to offer her a job so fast, she couldn't refuse it, “Really? That would mean a lot”

“Yes yes, now go get your things, you can move in first thing tonight or tomorrow morning” Mrs. Han smiled, there was just something she liked about Laura.

“Really? Is that how it happened?” Laura asked Mrs. Han while laughing. The two were really hitting it off. Ever since Mrs. Han took Laura in three months ago, they became really close. For Mrs. Han, it was like Laura was the daughter she never had. For Laura, Mrs. Han was the mother she never had. They were really close. Every night, Mrs. Han would call her son to tell him about the day she had with Laura and that he should visit.

“Hankyung, you should really meet her, she's fantastic” Mrs. Han encouraged while Hankyung was barely listening.

“Sorry mom, I've been so busy with Super Junior M, I promise I'll come one day okay? I have to go, bye mom. Wo Ai Ni” Hankyung said then hung up the phone.

“He'll definitely like her, I just know it” Mrs. Han said while smiling to herself.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Part one is up! Part two will be up in a moment, depends on when the applicant replies to my email. Thank you for your patience & I will be updating the Table of Contents after this.

The Proclamations of Love Series ©Imaginatious 2008-10
4/19/10