Chapter 15: The Beautiful Game- part 2

Graphite Love

"What are they doing in the middle? They're not even striker to play there." Sungjae said when he saw Jungkook and Jimin in the centre circle.

"Looks like they are talking." Hyeri answered.

"They have been here for a few days, they got enough time to talk. I want to see the game. Now look at him looking at us. Just play you idiot." Sungjae added.

......

The game started in a low tempo. Both team only pass the ball around to get a rhythm before trying to attack. Jungkook instruct the midfielder to move the ball faster after a few minutes according to Changjo's strategy. 

"Now the game will get interesting." Hyeri said. Hayoung know she likes football and knew a lot more than her about this game.

"Our school is playing faster but we can't just break like that. They are the champion of their region, it will not be easy to strike thm down." Sungjae said. He used to play for the team last year but the ACL injury he suffered during the loss make him quit the team. He's fully healed but he still don't want to risk playing againin the nearest time.

......

"V! Just shoot!" Jimin screamed when he pass the ball to V. It was a good pass to an open space in front of the goal. V shoot the ball hard. The goalkeeper, Changmin, dive but by the looks of it, he is already beaten. The ball was about to cross the goal line but... Jungkook sprint and threw himself to block the ball.

The ball go out and Mihyuk clear it from the danger zone. V smiled and pull Jungkook up.

"You still play like before. Always there to save your team. And its look like your speed has increased too." V smiled again and run back to his position while Jungkook realise that this team know his playing style too much. He must be very careful so that it will not be exploited. 

The game is already pass half hour but the scoreline is still the same. Each team build up their attack slowly so they don't make mistake but it also make the tempo slow and only a few clear chance created.

Their usual gameplay was passing the ball to the midfield of Changjo and Leo but today both of them was not playing, Baro is playing as the striker but the ball barely made it to him so he cannot try to score. Minhyuk and the midfielders is trying but the are no way as good as Changjo in playmaking or Leo in winning the ball. Minhyuk is a good dribbler but he don't have the creativity to thread the ball until it reach Jungkook. On the other team, Jimin is winning the battle in the midfield. V, their striker also has some opportunity to shoot. Their backline also did nothing wrong.

Minhyuk pass the ball to Jungkook at the halfway line. Jungkook pass to Baro who is coming to help the midfield.

Then Jungkook saw an opening. He run away from his position while gesturing Minhyuk to cover the position for him. Baro understand and make a through pass into the opponent half. Jungkook run as fast as he can and manage to control the ball. As the defenders are coming to him, he saw Baro running into the penalty box. He is surrounded by Suga and N. He was thinking of passing it back but that will be a waste of the opportunity. Then he do it.

He dribbles past Suga and pass the ball before N managed to block it. Baro take a step and SHOOT...GOALLL!!

...

Hayoung stand up when Baro shoot. But it is not the shot that she is looking at. When the audience celebrate the goal, he saw Jungkook falls onto the field holding his feet. N tripped him. Baro who is running to celebrate his goal stopped running and run to Jungkook. N kneel beside him and yell at the bench. He needs to b treated.

Hayoung did not sit with the other audience. Only after Sungjae pulled her did she realise that she is the only one standing.

...

"Stay here. You'll need to be substituted. Call Hyunsik." Changjo ordered Leo to make the substitution after the medics comfirmed Jungkook's injuries.

"No!! I can still play. This is not serious." Jungkook protest.

"You can't. I wouldn't risk you." Changjo said.

"But this is important.." Jungkook said.

"Which is more important? Your match against your former team or this team success in the Qualifier? You might have things to settle with them but if it ends ruining everyone's hope of winning the Nationals, can you be responsible for that?" Changjo said strictly.

"But.." Jungkook wanted to answer but he heard the whistle for the end of first half. Baro's goal is the only goal in the first half putting them in the lead although the opponent was in control of the game.

Jimin come to the bench and look at Jungkook's feet.

"Look's like we need to settle things at the Nationals." Jimin said.

"Jimin.."

"Don't lose. We'll wait to settle things there. Just focus on recovering. Look's like your team need you." Jimin advice Jungkook.

Then he left.

...

Without Jungkook, Changjo and Leo, the game was really turned around. Only 10 minute into the second half, V scored to put his team in the lead after Jimin equaliser. 1-2.

Jungkook watch from the bench how his team lose the game 4-1. He knows he can do something if he is playing.

In the locker room, the team atmosphere was really dull. No one is speaking anything until Changjo comes in.

"Overall, good game. The defence and attackers done everything they can but they were just too strong. But what I want to say is, How is that performance going to win the Nationals?? Jungkook, you're the side back and the captain, but why are you so eager to get the goal? Minhyuk covering you position? He is the attacking midfielder. And don't bring your emotions into the game. Look at yourself now. Injured. If you just pass it short and play it according the plan, you will still b playing in the second half." Changjo said.

"To the others, is that all you got? We will need much more for the Nationals." Changjo said.

.....

All the other players left but Jungkook is still there with Minhyuk. When Minhyuk helped Jungkook to get out, he saw Hayoung and Mina.

"Are you okay?" Hayoung asked.

"Yeah." Jungkook said slowly.

"No you're not." Jimin said from behind.

Jimin walk beside Jungkook and put his shoulder on him.

Jungkook looks at Jimin and understand that he had something to say.

"Thanks Minhyuk. I'll went home with them." Jungkook say.

"Okay."

......