20 Seconds of Bravery

20 Seconds of Bravery

"I like you."

", I like you."

"I love you."

"Marry me!"

"I kinda like you?"

Tiffany and Yuri looked at their friend who was pacing back and forth. They were still in Jessica's apartment and it was later in the night. Sooyoung had been sitting by herself on Jessica's patio, but when she opened the sliding door, she had woken up Yuri. When Yuri got up to go check on her friend, she ended up waking Tiffany when she walked past her. So now, Yuri and Tiffany were sitting on the cement floor while they watched Sooyoung pacing around the small perimeter the patio had allowed her. 

"What am I suppose to do?" Sooyoung asked her two friends. "I don't want us to be awkward if she doesn't like me back and even if she does like me back, what if we break up? Then what? The four of us won't be the four of us anymore. I don't wanna make it complicated." She sighed and slumped to the nearest wall. "What am I gonna do?"

"Do you even want to tell her?" Yuri asked, "Or are you just seeing if she likes you back?"

"Huh?"

"They are two different things." Yuri started to explain. "Telling her that you like her means that you want to be in relationship with her or trying to see where it goes. Trying to see if she likes you means that you'll know for sure that she likes you and then see where you wanna go from there. The first one is risky, but the second one could take a while, but either way, there's a chance that she may or may not like you the way you like her."

"I think the biggest question here," A voice interrupted, "is that will you be okay in the end?"

The three friends looked back and saw a girl in a very lose, long t-shirt and shorts standing by the patio sliding door.

"Unnie?" Tiffany turned her head to face the voice. "What are you doing up?"

"You may have closed the door, but my window is right next to the patio." Jessica walked towards the three. "I didn't realize that I left my window open, but then I heard the three of you talking and decided to see what the fuss was about." She turned to Sooyoung, who was sitting on the corner, "So you like Sunny huh?"

Sooyoung miserably nodded. "I don't know what to do, Unnie. I don't want us to stop being friends, but at the same time, I've liked her since we were in middle school."

"I don't see what the problem is." Jessica shrugged.

"What do you mean?"

"She likes you too." Jessica blatantly answered.

"What?!" Sooyoung, Yuri and Tiffany said at the same time.

"How is that even possible?!" Yuri's eyes widened. 

Bunny!" Tiffany pointed to the sleeping figure in the living room. "Youngie!" She pointed to the tall, lanky girl sitting in the corner. "Seriously?!"

"You two seriously didn't know?" Jessica looked at Yuri and Tiffany. "She even told me. She was telling me about this a few days ago in the Robotics room."

"She never told us." Yuri rubbed her chin. 

"It made sense though." Tiffany nodded her head. "She knows that none of us can ever keep a secret to save our lives."

"Like when you told us that you liked Sica Unnie." Yuri nodded.

Sooyoung and Tiffany's eyes widened in fear. Yuri realized what she had said and immediately covered . Jessica didn't seem to have heard what Yuri had said. The eldest seemed to be in deep trance with the night sky.

"It's pretty isn't it?" She said softly.

"What's pretty?" Sooyoung stood up and stood where Jessica was.

"The sky." Jessica smiled. "There's something calming about it."

Tiffany and Yuri followed. "It's magical." Tiffany nodded. "Kinda peaceful."

Yuri nodded. "I feel so small looking at this."

"Everything is gonna work out in the end." Sooyoung smiled. 

Tiffany yawned, "You two are so dramatic. I'm going to bed."

-----

The next day, Sooyoung had no idea what to do with herself. Her usual absentminded self was even more absentminded due to the fact that she had some brand new information about Sunny and how there may or may not be a chance for the two of them to be together. Knowing Sunny, Sooyoung knew that there was a big possibility of the two of them not being together since the shorter girl has always seen her as a sister or a very close friend. On the off chance that Sunny would want to pursue her new found feelings for Sooyoung, there was a chance that the two of them would last for a very long time. But from one friend to the other, there would be an awkward encounter if they tried anything more than what friends are use to, especially since Sunny and Sooyoung had always viewed each other as nothing more than friends in fear that if they do get in a relationship, their friendship would be ruined.

"Rise and shine sleepyhead." Sunny shook Sooyoung's shoulders. 

Sooyoung yawned loudly, "Good morning, Bunny."

"Yah." Yuri kicked Tiffany's shoulder. "Wake up."

"Five more minutes." Tiffany rolled to her side an hugged a nearby pillow. Jessica let out a yawn and stretched, but a weight on her chest had stopped her from getting up. "This is a soft pillow." Tiffany mumbled and buried her face deeper in the "pillow".

"Tiffany?" Jessica looked down and saw the teenager hugging her chest. "What is she doing?" She looked at Yuri who was standing above her.

Yuri shrugged, "Beats me. She likes hugging pillows in her sleep." She walked away and headed to the kitchen.

Jessica nudged Tiffany, "Wake up, Tiff." She whispered softly. 

"Unnie?" Tiffany slowly opened her eyes. "Unnie?!" She jumped off the floor and accidentally bumped into Sooyoung.

"Yah, watch it!" Sooyoung glared. "It's too early in the damn morning for me to deal with your right now."

"Those are some fighting words, Youngie." Tiffany pretended to roll up her imaginary sleeve and got ready to tackle Sooyoung to the ground.

"Come at me, bro." Sooyoung taunted Tiffany.

"I'm sorry." Tiffany stood upright and cleared . "I didn't mean to bump into you like that and I apologize."

"Apology accepted." Sooyoung patted Tiffany's back and headed to the kitchen.

Sunny looked at her two friends and walked away.

"What's wrong with her?" Sooyoung whispered to Tiffany.

Tiffany looked at Sunny's back, "I have no idea. I can't really tell you actually."

Yuri walked over to her two friends, "What do you guys think is wrong with Bunny?" Tiffany and Sooyoung shrugged their shoulders. "You think it's because we didn't buy enough of her favorite drinks when we went to Incheon?"

"What do you think, Unnie?" Tiffany looked at Jessica.

Jessica rolled her eyes and walked away, "For three really smart people, you guys can be really stupid sometimes."

"I think she means two smart people and Youngie." Yuri joked and nudged Tiffany's shoulders.

"I really do need to get smarter though if I ever wanna date her." Sooyoung nodded and rubbed her chin. "I really don't know how to get smarter though. I don't have the patience."

"Why don't we study at night?" Yuri snapped her fingers. "You're always up all night anyway, might as well put that time to use."

"I'm awake too, so it would be helpful besides, I feel like you focus a lot better at night." Tiffany agreed. "Plus you already know that Yul and I love our coffee."

"What are you three up to?" Sunny suddenly popped up from behind them.

"Nothing really." Yuri quickly walked away and started to dress herself up for the upcoming school day. 

"Yeah," Tiffany followed Yuri. "We aren't really doing much."

"Just chatting about the weather." Sooyoung smiled and patted Sunny's head.

"You four better hurry up if you wanna make it to school on time." Jessica scolded.

"Yes ma'am." The four friends said.

-----

The walk to school was a silent one. Tiffany and Yuri would usually be debating about a random current event that one of them found on one of their phones. Sooyoung and Sunny would normally join in the topic because it would somehow go on a tangent and jump around from one topic to the other. Depending on the day, Sooyoung would hum the songs that were stuck in her head she had continuously been listening to the night before. Then, out of nowhere, Tiffany and Yuri's debate would start to get heated because they always had two different opinions about worldly events, especially when it came to money. Tiffany was somehow always right, but Yuri would get offended and start to raise to her voice and Tiffany would follow suit. Sunny would get annoyed and tell both of them to shut up because it was too early for the two to even fight about something that doesn't even affect them and their current situations.

But today was different from every morning that they've had. Today, Sooyoung had her hands buried in her pockets. She didn't seem to be interested in talking to Sunny or her friends. Yuri was on her phone, scrolling every once in a while. Sunny tried to look at Yuri's phone, but Yuri was too tall for Sunny to even catch a glimpse at what she was looking at. From Sunny's perspective, the screen Yuri was looking at had a lot of small printed words which could mean that she was reading one of the current events that the Internet had posted earlier that morning. Tiffany was on her phone too, but from what Sunny saw, she was looking at models or clothing. Tiffany was usually one of the loud ones in the morning, but she was quiet this morning. Sunny felt uncomfortable with how her friends have recently been acting.

"Did you see this?" Yuri suddenly interrupted the silence between the four friends.

"See what?" Tiffany looked over.

"This." Yuri handed her phone over to Tiffany. "Denmark is planning on getting rid of their paper currency and just make everything through card."

"I thought that that was stupid." Tiffany scoffed and handed the phone back to Yuri.

Yuri nodded, "Me too." She took her phone back.

Sunny sighed.

-----

The school day had passed rather slowly. Sooyoung and Yuri were sitting in the middle of the field after school since Yuri had decided to ditch dance practice and just have a rest day. Sooyoung had been pulling the grass out of the ground and folding it in between in her fingertips and blowing them away. It was a lazy day for the two friends. Yuri had been yawning for the past 15 minutes and eventually fell asleep, using her bag as pillow and her blazer as a blanket for her arms and Sooyoung's blazer as a blanket for her legs. 

"I guess she really was tired." A voice said from behind.

Sooyoung turned her head and saw Tiffany walking towards her, "Yeah. Sorry we didn't hang out with you at lunch. Yul was helping me study for the English test so we didn't even get the chance to go to yours or Bunny's classroom to visit."

"It's all good." Tiffany nodded. "I was in the counselor's office half the lunch period anyway."

"How come?"

"Something about dorm fees." She shrugged. "Something went wrong with the scholarship money so I just had to go and sort everything out."

"Is everything sorted out?"

She nodded. "It took a while, but I somehow managed to fix it."

Sooyoung nodded and sighed. She squinted her eyes and she looked past the field. "I just wish that Bunny could see how much I really like her. It's killing me knowing that she likes and I'm too chicken to even do anything about it."

"I would just wait it out if I were you." Tiffany advised. "It sounds like you don't want everything to be awkward if you guys do break up and the four of us won't be as close as we are now."

"Sunny isn't even that close with us." Yuri said under the blazer.

"What do you mean?" Sooyoung looked at her.

"Look around you." Yuri shifted her position under the blazers. "Where do you see Bunny? No where, right? It's because the three of us are closer compared to the four us. It's always been the three of us and Bunny. Yeah, she's our best friend and all, but we've always somehow excluded her from all the things we've done."

"But that's because she doesn't want us to do half the things we do." Sooyoung defended.

"That's exactly my point." Yuri pointed out. "She's always been the adult of the group. When we were out doing stupid , she was always the mom that would tell us to be careful or to wear a jacket because it would be cold outside. Plus, the three of us think alike. We all like the same foods, watch the same T.V shows, and we even like the same star for God's sake. Where does Bunny fit in all of this?" Yuri finally sat up and threw the blazer at Sooyoung.

"I don't really know." Sooyoung stared blankly at the blazer Yuri threw her way.

"Exactly." Yuri slipped back inside her blazer and buttoned it in the middle. "We eat junk food and drink coffee, Bunny likes to count her macros and drink smoothies and tea. We watch Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black and Friends, Bunny watches National Geographic and the Sci-Fi channel. Three of us obviously like watching watching T.V. and laze around all day, Bunny likes reading books better and goes for jogs for fun. She's the complete opposite of us."

Tiffany nudged Yuri, "Yah, stop it. You're gonna bum her out even more."

"She needs to hear this from someone before she gets in too deep with this." Yuri pointed out.

"I know, but we should have waited until we were back inside the dorm before you broke the news to her." Tiffany motioned her head to Sooyoung's direction. "Now Youngie is even more depressed now than she was this morning."

"I don't think we'll break up though." Sooyoung said quietly.

"Huh?" Tiffany and Yuri both looked at her.

"I don't think Bunny and I will break up." Sooyoung said louder and with confidence.

"What are you talking about?" Yuri asked.

"Did I stutter?" Sooyoung looked at Yuri. 

"I was just making sure I heard it." Yuri held her hands up in defense.

"Are you really gonna do it?" Tiffany asked her.

"Not now, but soon." Sooyung grinned. "We'll be together forever."

Yuri and Tiffany exchanged uneasy looks.