20 Seconds of Bravery

20 Seconds of Bravery

The following weekend had passed rather slow for the four friends. Yuri had just gotten back from her trip the night before, so she had spent the entire day catching up on her sleep. Tiffany was lazing on the floor with her textbooks scattered in front of her, even though she hadn’t made much progress when she first cracked open her textbooks a few hours ago. Her mind had been occupied with the conversation she had with Jessica a few days ago about how she liked girls too. The hopes of being with Jessica were now back and that a caused Tiffany to be even more distracted more than ever. Sooyoung and Sunny had been keeping to themselves these past few days. Although they both knew that they liked each other, their label as a couple was still unanswered. They haven’t really talked about it too much, but they were both at an understanding that they would keep their relationship away from Tiffany and Yuri for the time being. Until they were sure that this it going to work out, their two friends had to be kept hidden in the dark for a while.

 

No one had heard from Jessica ever since her and Tiffany had gotten back from their little trip, which caused Tiffany to worry. Tiffany had never been in any sort of relationship or ever had feelings for someone, so everything was all new to her. She didn’t know whether she should call her, text her, visit her or just wait for her to show up at her front door. She scratched her head in confusion.

 

“You all right?” Sooyoung asked from across the room.

 

“Huh?”

 

“You look really out of it, Ppany.” Sunny looked up from her book. “Is everything okay?”

 

Tiffany nodded and stretched her back, “I think I just need to get some fresh air really quick.” She stood up and put her sweatshirt on.

 

She leaned over the bar and looked out at the city. It wasn’t the prettiest sight to see, but she was able to see above majority of the buildings. There really wasn’t much to look at since the dorms weren’t that tall and they were placed a few blocks away from Soshi. She shivered as she pulled the hood over her head and wrapped her arms around herself. Her legs started to tremble from the cold, but it wasn’t anything she couldn’t handle. After all, she was used to cold weather, but for some reason, this weather was very unexpected, especially in the middle of August.

 

“You alright?” 

 

Tiffany jumped at the voice and turned around. “Oh, it’s just you.” She let out a sigh of relief. “I thought it was someone dangerous.”

 

“I’m not dangerous?”

 

“Sica, you have never been dangerous.” Tiffany sighed and went back to looking at the small city in front of her. “What brings you to my neck of the woods?”

 

Jessica shrugged, “I just wanted to see what you’ve been up to these days. I haven’t really seen you ever since the trip.”

 

“So you came to see me?” Tiffany asked slowly.

 

Jessica smiled and nodded, “Is that bad?”

 

She quickly shook her head, “Nothing’s wrong with that. I didn’t realize that you were gonna drop by. I would’ve cleaned up my dorm a little bit.”

 

“What’s wrong with it now?”

 

“Youngie and Bunny took over the couch. Yul is passed out on the couch. I’m basically taking up the entire living room with my textbooks and notebooks are basically all over the floor.” She said sheepishly. “I’m not used to someone other than them three to come in and out of my dorm whenever.”

 

Jessica shrugged, “We can stay out here if you want. I don’t really care as long as you’re with me, you know what I mean?”

 

“As long as you’re with me?” Tiffany gave her a confused look. “What’s that suppose to mean?”

 

The dorm door suddenly flew open.

 

“Did you two want some food?” Yuri’s head poked out of the door.

 

“I thought you were asleep.” Jessica said, looking a little exasperated.

 

“I woke up a little while ago.” Yuri shrugged, “What do you two say?”

 

Tiffany looked at Jessica and shrugged, “I could use some food. What about you?”

 

She sighed, “Alright. Where are we going?”

 

“Hot Stone.” Sooyoung grinned. “They’re having an all-you-can-eat special on meat. We might as well take advantage of the entire situation since we’re all broke.”

 

Sunny looked up at Sooyoung and smiled, “She’s so smart.”

 

Yuri laughed, “Of course she is.” She took a jacket from Tiffany’s closet and started walking on the sidewalk. 

 

Sooyoung wrapped an arm around Sunny’s shoulders as they walked together with Yuri right next to them. Tiffany and Jessica smiled at one another and followed them behind.

 

“What are you guys gonna eat?” Yuri asked.

 

“I’m gonna eat some pork belly and ribs.” Sooyoung proudly announced.

 

“Me too!” Sunny beamed.

 

“Bunny, since when did you start eating ribs?” Tiffany asked.

 

Sunny shrugged, “I think it’s about time to make some new changes in my life. Of course, the changes are small, but they’re still changes, right?”

 

“Will there be more of these changes?” Jessica asked.

 

Sunny smiled, “Yes, there will be more of these changes. Don’t worry, they’ll all be good changes. Don’t worry.”

 

Yuri, Tiffany and Jessica all looked at one another and shrugged. As they continued walking down the streets of Seoul, Yuri was humming to herself a song that she had been humming for the past three days. She would bust out into a  random dance move every now and then just to keep the routine she had practiced with her squad earlier that week. Sunny and Sooyoung were chattering amongst themselves and the two of them seemed happy. Even though they weren’t an official couple, they definitely acted like they were ever since that dat they talked at the playground. Tiffany and Jessica were walking close together.

 

“Will you stop that?” Jessica said in an irritated voice.

 

Sooyoung, Yuri and Sunny turned around to see what was going on with the two of them.

 

“Stop what?” Tiffany asked, looking confused.

 

Jessica held Tiffany’s hand, “There.” She smiled. “Now our hands won’t keep bumping into each other. It started to get annoying.”

 

Yuri laughed, “Better keep an eye on your girl, Ppany. I might steal her away from you.”

 

Tiffany blushed, “W-we aren’t official y-y-yet…” She said above a whisper.

 

“Yet?” Sooyoung grinned. 

 

“So will you be soon?”

 

Tiffany let go of Jessica’s hand and covered her bright face, “Leave me alone, Jesus Christ. This is super embarrassing.”

 

Jessica wrapped an arm around Tiffany’s waist, “Don’t worry. I’ll patiently wait for the day you ask me out, okay?”

 

Tiffany nodded with a bright red face. “Deal.”

 

“What’s the deal with you two anyway?” Yuri turned around and looked at Sunny and Sooyoung.

 

“What about us?” Sooyoung asked.

 

“Bunny never liked ribs and she said you were smart.” Tiffany said. “Then all of a sudden, she starts liking ribs and start saying you’re smart. Something isn’t adding up here.”

 

“Are you two finally dating?” Yuri asked.

 

Sunny peeled herself away from Sooyoung, “We’re not dating.”

 

Sooyoung looked hurt by that statement, “What? I thought we were.”

 

“No we’re not.” Sunny said quickly.

 

“Really?” Sooyoung asked.

 

“Really.” Sunny asserted. “We’re not together.” She turned to Tiffany, Jessica and Yuri. “Sooyoung and I are not a couple nor are we dating. Right, Sooyoung?”

 

“Right…” Sooyoung said with a sigh.

 

Tiffany patted Sooyoung’a back, “Let’s go get you some pork belly and meat.”

 

Sooyoung gave Sunny one last look, “I think that’s a good idea.”

 

Yuri smiled at Jessica, “Your girlfriend is really pretty.”

 

Jessica smiled back, “I know.”

 

— — — — —

 

“I want this, this, this, this, this and this. All of them large please.” Sooyoung grinned as she handed the menu back to the waitress.

 

“Me next!” Yuri jumped on her chair. “I want the same thing as her.” She pointed at Sooyoung. “But instead of a soda, can i get water please? I’m on a diet.” She smiled and handed the menu back to the waitress.

 

“I’ll have the same please.” Tiffany pointed at Yuri. “And water as well.”

 

“Are you on a diet too?” The waitress asked.

 

Tiffany shook her head, “I just like water.”

 

The waitress nodded, “What about you two?”

 

Jessica pointed at the picture, “This one please.”

 

“Okay.” She looked at Sunny, “And for you?”

 

“I’ll have whatever she’s having.” Sunny handed her menu back.

 

When the waitress left, there was an awkward silence between the five friends. Yuri was sitting on the right side of the booth, with Sunny. Sooyoung sat herself right in between Jessica and Tiffany, so the two couldn’t really talk together. 

 

“So, Yul,” Tiffany started, “when’s your dance competition?”

 

Yuri shrugged, “I really don’t know. They never really told us when, but they said that it’ll be sometime within the next month or two.”

 

“What about you, Youngie?” Tiffany asked.

 

“What about me?” She asked bitterly.

 

“When are you gonna start looking for a club to join?” Yuri asked.

 

Sooyoung shrugged, “I’m not as motivated as I used to be. I just wanna stay in my room and start watching movies all day again.”

 

The waitress came with plates of food and started setting them each on the table. Sooyoung had a twinkle in her eyes that meant that she wanted to eat every single piece of food on her plates. Yuri her lips and swallowed the excess drool that was starting to build up in . Tiffany rubbed her hands together and had a smile of a killer.

 

“1…”

 

“2…”

 

“Go!”

 

Sooyoung, Tiffany and Yuri started to gobble up the food on their plates. The waitresses stood their in amazement to see such petite girls eat so much food. Sooyoung would wipe the sauces at the corner of her lips with he back of her hands, not giving much care about her physical appearance. Yuri had the decency to wipe the sauce on her face with a napkin and fold it neatly beside her till the next time she would be using it. Tiffany wasn’t a messy eater, so she didn’t really have that much trouble with the sauce all over her area. 

 

Jessica looked at the girl at the end of the table, then her two friends. Her eyes went wide open and her jaw dropped. She never really realized how much Tiffany and her friends ate until now. They had been eating junk food all day, but little did she know that they still weren’t satisfied with the things they’ve been eating all day long. Especially with Sooyoung, she knew that she ate something every couple of hours or else she would start to get grumpy. Yuri seemed to be enjoying the food she was currently. A wide smile was on her face as she took big spoonfuls of rice and BBQ. Sunny, who had been immune to her friends’ actions, calmly ate her food.

 

— — — — —

 


“Check please.” Sunny said after the three had finished eating.

 

Sooyoung was rubbing her stomach, “That was the best $15 I’ve ever spent in my entire life.”

 

“I think Youngie won that round.” Yuri let out a heavy sigh. “The food was amazing.”

 

“Are you guys alright?” Jessica poked Tiffany’s belly.

 

“Please don’t do that.” Tiffany groaned. “My stomach is very sensitive right now.” 

 

Jessica laughed, “Will you be able to walk home?”

 

“Yeah, but I think Youngie passed out.” Tiffany pointed to a sleeping figure lying on her side. “Is it my turn to carry Youngie or is it you, Yul?”

 

Yuri let out a burp, “It’s your turn. I carried her last time.”

 

“Give me a second.” Tiffany slowly got up and stretched herself out. “I gotta loosen myself up so I don’t pull a muscle or something.”

 

“Where are we sleeping tonight?” Yuri asked.

 

“Can we sleep in your dorm tonight, Bunny?” Tiffany asked. “Your dorm is the closest.”

 

Sooyoung groaned, “I think that was the best meal I’ve ever had in my entire life.”

 

Jessica laughed, “Are you able to walk tonight? I don’t want Tiffany hurting her back.”

 

Sooyoung slowly nodded, “Yeah. Ppany, you don’t have to carry me tonight. I can walk.”

 

“Where are we sleeping tonight?” Yuri asked again.

 

Sooyoung shrugged, “If we’re gonna sleep at Bunny’s, I’ll just walk back to my dorm. I think that I need to walk this weight off.” She laughed bitterly.

 

Sunny gave Sooyoung an odd look, “You know what, I don’t think you guys can sleep over. I have a lot of things to do for tomorrow.”

 

“But we’re on a week long break.” Yuri frowned. “What are you doing that’s so important?”

 

“Don’t worry about it.” Sunny took her bag and started walking away in the opposite direction.

 

Sooyoung, Yuri, Tiffany and Jessica all looked at Sunny’s figure getting smaller and smaller. Sooyoung sniffled and walked the different direction from where Sunny was heading. Yuri and Tiffany slowly turned away and started walking with Sooyoung. Jessica looked back at where Sunny was walking.

 

“Are you coming?” Tiffany asked.

 

Jessica shook her head, “I’m gonna go make sure that she’s okay.”

 

Tiffany nodded and gave her a hug, “Call me and tell me what happens just so I know that you two are both okay. Okay?”

 

Jessica nodded, “Alright.”

 

— — — — —

 

There was a silence between Tiffany, Yuri and Sooyoung. Sooyoung had been ahead of Tiffany and Yuri to the walk back to her dorm. As much as she hates to admit it, Sooyoung had always been jealous of her two best friends. They were perfect. They were pretty, smart, a good personality and had nice bodies. She sighed. Why couldn’t she has been born smart?

 

Some people are just born lucky. Some people are lucky to be born.

 

She scoffed. Seems like she was one of those people who were just lucky to be born. She had never felt pretty, smart, nor did she ever think she had a good personality or a nice body. It was as if the higher power somewhere was toying with her. She was always surrounded with potential and bright futures. Where was her future? Her future was to be average. She had an average personality, average looks, but when it came to brains, she was far below average. It seemed like she had broken below average and created a new level for herself. Tiffany and Yuri excelled academically, while she excelled physically, but Yuri excelled physically as well. Sooyoung excelled at cooking, but Tiffany had a musical talent that no one really knew about but her and her friends, not even Jessica knew about this ability.

 

Sunny was right, after all. Sooyoung was never smart. Sooyoung was just average. The average Sooyoung is all she will ever be.

 

“Are you okay?” Tiffany placed a hand on her shoulder. “You look really sad.”

 

“I am sad, Ppany.” Sooyoung sighed.

 

“Do you need a hug?” Yuri asked.

 

Sooyoung shook her head, “I just need to understand.”

 

“Understand what?”

 

“Is dating me really that bad?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Back there.” Sooyoung pointed behind her. “She kept denying it. Bunny made it sound like she really didn’t want me to be her girlfriend. Do I embarrass her? Am I really that much of disgrace that she doesn’t wanna be seen with me in public? I don’t understand. I thought we were perfectly fine and then she pulls this and it’s like she doesn’t even wanna be with me. She’s hot and then cold next. This isn’t a Katy Perry song. She needs to make up her ing mind because I refuse to sit around and wait for her any longer. I’m sick and tired of always feeling this way. I get my hopes up only to have her shut them down. I’m just hurting myself and this optimistic mentality that she’ll one day realize that I’m the one for her.”

 

Yuri and Tiffany fell silent. Neither was about to come up with a response to help make their best friend feel better. They both knew that Sooyoung had been in a mood since earlier that night, even though everything seemed to be fine when they were all back in Tiffany’s dorm. When it was just the four or five of them, Sunny always acted like she was happy and that she wanted to be with Sooyoung. But when they’re out in public, Sunny treated Sooyoung as if she was just a friend and nothing more. It confused Sooyoung more times than she could count. Sunny’s feelings have always been so hard to decode because she the type to always keep everything to herself. Not even, Yuri, Sunny’s oldest friend, knew much about her. She acted like an open book, but when you took a close look at the pages, you knew that some of the pages went missing. The author just did a very good job hiding it.

 

Sunny was full of secrets. She never let anyone in, not even her three longest friends, Tiffany, Yuri and Sooyung. She was a book that the three of them could read, but could never find the missing pages.

 

That’s what Sunny was.