20 Seconds of Bravery

20 Seconds of Bravery

That same day, the three best friends were walking back to Yuri's dorm even though Sooyoung and Tiffany's were a lot closer to the school. It had been a while since they slept over at Yuri's because of the commute, but since they were still in hiding from Jessica, they had no choice.

"My shoulder still hurts." Tiffany complained.

"Mine too." Yuri agreed. "I can't wait to get my pain meds. This was all your fault." She glared at Sooyoung and Tiffany.

"How was it our fault?" Sooyoung defended. "You were the one who picked Ppany up. I didn't ask for your help. You didn't have to pick her up because of your shoulder. That was your decision, therefore, it is your fault."

Yuri gave her a quick glare. "You're lucky this shoulder is still injured or else I would have pounded you to the ground."

"Bring it on, cripple." Sooyoung taunted as she opened her arms.

"Yah." Tiffany quickly stepped in before Yuri could actually punch Sooyoung. "This is exactly why Bunny is mad at us. We need to control our anger a lot better or else she will never hang out with us anymore and end up hanging out with Narsha Unnie."

"Or Jessica Unnie." Sooyoung piped up. "What?" She shrugged off Tiffany's glare. "It would be worse if she started hanging out with Narsha Unnie because I can tell she likes Bunny and everyone knows that Bunny is mine and mine only. Now, if she hangs out with Jessica Unnie, at least she'll tell us what she's been up to so we won't be as worried about her than if she started hanging out with Narsha Unnie. Am I right?"

"Aish." Tiffany scratched her head. "Let's just focus on having Bunny forgive us."

"What are we gonna do?" Yuri asked. "She doesn't wanna see any of us right now. If we show up and make another scene at the Robotics club, not only will Bunny kill us, but Jessica Unnie too. Ever since she found out we didn't like her cooking, she's been out to get us."

"You mean, out to get Youngie." Tiffany pointed to the tall, skinny girl walking beside Yuri.

"I seriously didn't know she would be in the club room when I said that." Sooyoung laughed. "At least I didn't get hit with her shoe."

Tiffany smile. "At least she noticed me."

Yuri knocked on Tiffany's head. "Yah, she threw a shoe at you. Do you really wanna date someone like that?"

"Would Bunny wanna date Youngie?" Tiffany joked. "She's just as bad as us."

Yuri laughed along with Tiffany, "You're right!" She pointed at Sooyoung. "Youngie is just as bad as the two of us but the only difference is that we're smarter than her."

"Yah!" Sooyoung suddenly shouted. "I may be stupid, but at least I have the heart of a lion."

"Which is why you have a lifetime ban from the zoo." A voice suddenly said. The three friends walking suddenly stopped in their tracks and saw a figure coming out of a convenient store. "I see you three are having fun without me."

"Let them be." Another figure appeared. "At least they're trying."

"Bunny? Jessica Unnie?" Yuri looked back and squinted her eyes.

"You three are seriously loud." The shorter figure said. "Aigoo. We could hear you all the way from the back of the store and over the music."

"Jessica Unnie." The three formed a line in front of Jessica and bowed as low as they could. "We're sorry that we called your pancakes terrible. They taste good. Please make more of your delicious pancakes in the future."

"Wah." Jessica smiled in admiration. "You three said it at the same time, the exact same way."

"Bunny, we're sorry." Sooyoung said. "We really didn't mean to act the way we did."

"Yeah. Yuri and I over reacted and we shouldn't have started a fight in the middle of the Chemistry club. We really are sorry." Tiffany nodded.

"I'm sorry, Bunny." Yuri sighed. "You really do a lot for the three of us and we never really properly thanked you for it."

"Thank you." Yuri and Tiffany said together.

"Thanks." Sooyoung said.

"Yah." Yuri nudged Sooyoung.

"What?" Sooyung muttered under her breath. 

"You didn't say it the way we rehearsed." Tiffany said between her teeth.

"How was I suppose to remember?" Sooyoung whispered.

Yuri pulled her two other friends and they formed a small circle in the middle of the street.

"Yah. Why didn't you say it the way we practiced at lunch?" Yuri whispered.

"I forgot, okay?" Sooyoung replied. "We had too many things going on and we were eating. It was just too much for me to handle."

"Are you three done?" Sunny asked from a distance.

"Not yet." Tiffany said.

"Give us one more second." Yuri held up a finger and went back to whispering with her friends.

Jessica and Sunny looked at each other and shrugged. After a few more minutes had passed, the three finally came out of their tiny huddle and walked back to Jessica and Sunny.

"Bunny," Yuri started, "if you forgive us, I am willing to do your laundry for the next week."

"Bunny," Tiffany pumped her first in front of her face, "if you forgive us, I am willing to clean your dorm for a week."

"Bunny," Sooyoung took a step forward, "if you forgive us, I am willing to cook anything you want for a week."

The three looked at each other with a proud grin on their face because they had said it exactly how they rehearsed it back in their little huddle.

"I forgive you three dorks." Sunny smiled.

"Yay!" The three cheered and did a group hug that included Jessica.

"Unnie," Tiffany said after the finished their hug. "I would like you to make me some more of your famous pancakes."

"It's your funeral." Sooyoung said.

"I mean it." Tiffany said. "To show you how sorry I am, I will eat all the pancakes you can make. No matter how terrible it'll taste, I will eat it. You worked on cooking that and it was really mean of us to say that it tasted terrible."

"That's very nice of you," Jessica started, "but that was the first time I ever made pancakes."1`

"It's okay." Tiffany smiled. "We can both improve our cooking skills together."

Jessica blushed. "I'd like that."

Yuri, Sooyoung and Sunny all looked at each other and smiled. Sooyoung stretched and grinned.

"I'm glad Bunny isn't mad at us anymore." She wrapped an arm around Sunny's shoulders and gave it a tight squeeze. "Let's go to the street vendors and celebrate Bunny coming back to us."

Sunny hugged Sooyoung from the side, "Let's go."

The two led the way with Sooyoung's arm around Sunny and Sunny's arm around Sooyoung's waist. 

"They're cute together." Tiffany observed.

"They should just admit they have feelings for each other and just date." Yuri smiled as she shook her head. "It would make both our lives easier."

"Don't kill the magic." Tiffany grinned as she followed the two friends.

Jessica smiled and followed Tiffany, knowing full well what she had meant by that. "I agree, Yuri. Just let the magic happen, don't kill it."

"What are you two talking about?" Yuri shook her head and followed Tiffany and Jessica.

-----

"Ahh." Sooyoung blew on the fish cake on the stick and held it close to Sunny's mouth.

"Aish." Sunny pushed it away. "I'm not 5."

"Bunny, just do it." Sooyoung pouted and held back to Sunny's mouth. "Just do it this once. I promise, then I won't try to feed you again."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"Ahh." Tiffany mimicked what Sooyoung and Sunny were doing.

"Aigoo." Yuri pouted. "I'm not 5."

"Yah, Kwon," Tiffany playfully pushed Yuri by her good shoulder. "I'm trying to help your crippled right now. Are you gonna accept my kindness or not? This isn't gonna happen again."

Jessica was standing beside Tiffany and continuously hit her back from laughing. "You guys are seriously funny. I wish we could hang out like this all the time."

Yuri nodded. "Too bad you're too old."

"Leave, ahjumma alone. She might throw her walker at you." Sooyoug grinned as she took another fish cake. "Besides, Sica Unnie has better things to do than hanging out with four high school sophomores. She has college friends and college parties, right Unnie?"

"Si-ca Un-nnie?" Jessica tilted her head as she sounded out the syllables Sooyoung had said.

"You don't like the nickname?" Sooyoung ate another fish cake.

"You're gonna make me even Sica." Tiffany said as she pretended to make gagging noises.

Yuri laughed, "Ahjumma, can I have another glass of water please?" The lady working nodded as she filled Yuri's glass. "Thank you, ahjumma." 

"What should we do tomorrow?" Sunny asked as she ate another fish cake.

Sooyoung pulled out a notepad from her backpack. "Which ones haven't we done yet?"

Tiffany took it from Sooyoung, "Sica Unnie, which one do you wanna do?" She handed the notepad to Jessica.

"What is this?" She asked.

"Things the four of us haven't done. Since you're part of the group now, you can pick which one we can do." Yuri said, leaning over Jessica and Tiffany's shoulders.

"You're our new friend, Unnie." Sooyoung grinned. "We want you to feel welcomed to this group even though Bunny is a little weird sometimes." She whispered, but loud enough for Sunny to hear.

"Yah!" Sunny smacked Sooyoung's back. "You're the weird one."

"Face it, Bunny." Yuri said, flipping to the next page of their bucket list. "In this group of friends, you and Sica Unnie are the weird ones. This is our normal."

Tiffany nodded as she ate another fish cake. "She's right, you know. We could be weird to everyone else, but since normal is the minority of this group, Yul, Youngie and I are technically the normal ones here. Weird is normal in this group."

"You've just been lawyered." Sooyoung grinned and crossed her arms.

-----

That same night, the five friends decided to spend the night in Jessica's apartment instead of going to Yuri's dorm. It turned out that Jessica's place was right across the street from the library, down the street from the Coffee Hut and only a few blocks away from Soshi Arts Academy as well as the university. Her apartment was basically the mid point of Sunny, Sooyoung, Tiffany and Yuri's small dorms and it was in the perfect place. It was near convenient stores so it was only a walk away, it was close enough to Soshi University, so Jessica didn't really have to take her car everyday and it was on the second floor. It was high enough to get a good view, but not too high where it would get cold during the night. Her next door neighbor had left his Wi-Fi passcode unlocked, so Jessica and the surrounding apartments basically had free Internet.

The apartment was big enough. It wasn't big to where it felt empty and it wasn't small to where it felt like everything was squished together. There was a couch pushed against the wall. Across from the couch was a medium size t.v and a small study table in the middle of the living room. On the right side, there was the patio and the curtains. The kitchen had a table and two chairs, a dishwasher, a sink, a fridge and cupboards. There was another door that led to the bedroom, that only had a mattress at the corner of the room with a small lamp light where a stack of books rested, other than that, the bedroom was empty. The walls were bare except for the curtains on the window, but other than the dresser and the bed in the corner, the room was empty.

Tiffany, Sunny, Sooyoung and Yuri entered the apartment in a single file line. They placed their bags near the door next to their shoes and silently stood there. Normally, the girls would run the bed or the couch, but they weren't as close with Jessica as they were with one another. On a normal night, Tiffany, Sunny and Yuri would have their textbooks, notebooks and papers scattered all over the floor along with their bodies on the floor while Sooyoung was in the kitchen cooking or making them all snacks before they went to bed. Then, Sooyoung would shower, once she was done, the other three girls would take turns showering and raid the closet for clothes they needed for the night. Once everyone was showered, they would wash their uniforms, underwear, and socks so they were clean and good to wear the next day, but this wasn't any of their dorms. It was Jessica's apartment. 

Sooyoung awkwardly stood there and scratched the back of her head, "Umm..."

"Yes?" Jessica looked at her.

"Uhh..." Sooyoung played with her fingers and rocked back and forth. "Nevermind."

"Tell me." Jessica urged, "We're friends now, so whatever you need to say, say it."

"Well," Sooyoung started, "I don't really know what do here."

"What do you mean?"

"We usually know what we do every night, but since this isn't one of our dorms, we don't really know what to do." Yuri answered.

"Huh?"

"I think what Yul is trying to say is," Sunny started, "that we're just too use to our night routine that now that we're in a new environment, we don't really know what to do."

"Yeah I--" Yuri stopped mid-sentence when a blazer landed on her face.

"Got'eem!" Sooyoung and Tiffany high-fived each other and continued to laugh.

"That was fu--" A sock landed on Sooyoung's face.

"Ew!" Tiffany backed away from Sooyoung and proceeded to laugh at her friend.

"That's it." Sooyoung took her skirt off, but she was still wearing spandex underneath her skirt and threw it at Yuri's face.

"Fight. Fight. Fight." Tiffany chanted.

Yuri took her blazer off and whipped Sooyoung with it. Sooyoung took a quick glance at Sunny and just stood there while Yuri was whipping her with the blazer.

"Why aren't you fighting back?" Sunny looked at Sooyoung.

"Because you don't like it when we fight."

Yuri stopped whipping Sooyoung and dropped her blazer. "You're right. I'm sorry, Youngie."

"It's okay, Yul." Sooyoung gave her a side hug, "It was my fault. I threw my blazer at you first."

Tiffany slowly took off her blazer, "Where should we hang out clothes, Unnie?"

"In the closet should be fine." Jessica motioned at the door near the hallway.

Sooyoung, Tiffany and Yuri took their blazers off and started hanging their clothes. Tiffany stripped to her black and pink polka dot spandex shorts and and a lose tank top that showed off her black lacy bra. Yuri was in her dance shorts and a sports bra while she was hanging her school uniform and took a yellow tank top out of her bag that she proceeded to wear. Sooyoung took a black and red tank top from her bag and wore it. She was in her track shorts and the tank top made it look like she wasn't wearing any shorts. Sunny observed her three friends and saw how silent they were. This was usually the time the three would fight about who would shower first and they would start pushing on the way to the bathroom.

"Did you wanna shower first?" Sooyoung asked Yuri. "You do have the injured arm."

"I think it's fair that you shower first, Yul." Tiffany agreed. "Besides, I already showered earlier, so I'll just wake up early tomorrow and shower, that way, we don't use up all the hot water."

"Shouldn't Sice Unnie shower first. It is her apartment." Yuri motioned to Jessica who was standing there next to Sunny.

"It's okay. I showered earlier too, so I'll wake up early and shower." Jessica nodded and walked to her bedroom to change.

"Did you wanna shower first, Bunny?" Yuri asked. Sunny shook her head. "Alright, I'll shower first then." Yuri took her bag and headed to the bathroom.

Tiffany silently walked over to the living room and started setting up everything she needed to study. "Hey, Youngie, can you plus my laptop over there?" Tiffany asked, handing Sooyoung the wire for her laptop.

Sunny braced herself, knowing full well that Sooyoung was going to make a snarky remark and Tiffany was going to threaten to choke her with the wire. Then, Sooyoung would start yelling and Tiffany would start yelling, but it wouldn't be out of anger, it would be insults, but the insults were usually funny.

"Yeah, which one?" Sooyoung caught the wire that Tiffany threw in her direction.

"Whichever one is closest to you." Tiffany opened her laptop and started typing away.

"You okay?" Jessica nudged Sunny's shoulders. 

"Yeah, but it's too peaceful." Sunny sighed.

"What do you mean by too peaceful?" She looked at the younger one.

"These three aren't fighting." 

"Can you stop kicking my wire?" Tiffany looked at Sooyoung. "The laptop is about to fall."

"Oh, sorry." Sooyoung brought her legs closer to her chest. "Better?"

Tiffany nodded. "Thanks."

"That's what I mean." Sunny pointed at Sooyoung and Tiffany. "This is weird having these three nice to each other."

"Isn't that what you wanted?" Jessica asked. "I thought you didn't like it when they fought."

"I didn't like it when they fist fought because someone always got hurt." Sunny said. "But when they yell at each other, it's kinda funny, now it's just boring."

"Bunny?" Sooyoung called.

"Yeah?"

"Can you help me with my math homework?"

"Why don't you ask Ppany?"

"She's busy with her Econ homework. I don't wanna disturb her."

"Next." Yuri came out of the bathroom and threw the towel at Sooyoung.

"Help me after I'm done showering." Sooyoung patted Sunny's head and walked to the bathroom.

Yuri plopped herself next to Tiffany, "Econ?"

Tiffany nodded. "This ."

"No kidding." Yuri laughed. 

Tiffany shrugged, "Better than math." 

"Math is the ." Yuri defended.

"That's what nerds would say." Tiffany stuck her tongue out.

"You right, you right." Yuri laughed and got her things ready for the night.

"You okay, Bunny?" Tiffany looked at her.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Sunny lied.

"You don't look fine." Yuri said.

"I just miss some people."

Tiffany and Yuri just nodded and went back to doing their homework.