20 Seconds of Bravery

20 Seconds of Bravery

A petite teenage girl laid in bed, dead asleep with her hair covering her face and her left leg dangling off the mattress she called a bed. Soft snores escaped her chapped lips as vibrated from her heavy breathing. Unaware of the time, the girl scratched the exposed part of her stomach and proceeded to roll to her right side.

6:05 AM.

Bzzt. Bzzt. Bzzt.

The teenager rolled to her left and blindly attempted to find her alarm clock. Her fingertips roamed the wooden floor of the apartment in order to get a feel of the cold metal clock that was buzzing, interrupting her perfect slumber.

"Gotcha." The girl mumbled as she slowly sat up and rubbed her eyes. An enormous yawn escaped her lips as she stretched her legs out in front of her, causing her blanket to fall off her twin size mattress. Smacking her lips to get some wetness back to them, she laid back on her bed and rolled off the floor.

"Ohhf." She stretched her entire body again on the wooden floor and slowly sat up for the second time that morning.

Knock. Knock.

As she stood up, she grabbed her blanket and wrapped herself with it as she made her way to the door.

"Morning." A tall, slender girl in a plaid skirt, a white button up tucked into her skirt, a red necktie and a black blazer smiled as she gave the other one a small wave.

"You're here early, Youngie." The other girl yawned and motioned her friend to go inside her apartment.

"I had some trouble sleeping last night. So I ended up staying up and watching some late night shows and here I am." Her friend grinned. "Anyway, I have some ramen in my apartment if you want some. We still have two hours till school started anyway."

"What about Yul and Bunny?"

"What about them?" The taller one raised her eyebrow.

"Won't they want some breakfast?"

The tall one shrugged, "I have a feeling that Sunny's gonna bring us some breakfast on the way to school. Yuri will probably just try to mooch off us. The usual."

"Yeah, the usual." The brunette muttered as she opened her small closet to dig for her school uniform.

"Ppany, is your back still bothering you?"

"Kinda, but I think it's just because I've been hunched over a lot these days."

"Seriously though, I think you should buy a new mattress."

"Sooyoung, you know that this is all I can afford right now."

"I'm just saying." Sooyoung raised her hands up in defense. "Besides, you already know that Yuri has a spare, why not just ask her for that?"

Knock. Knock.

Tiffany sighed and walked to her door.

"Yo." A raven haired girl grinned. "What are you two up to in this fine morning?"

"I have breakfast." A smaller figure popped up behind the raven haired girl and held out a plastic bag full of snacks.

"Thank you, Sunny." Tiffany smiled and took the bag from the shorter girl.

"Why are you here so early?" The second tallest of the group looked at Sooyoung who just shrugged.

"I couldn't sleep."

"I told you not to watch all those horror movies before you go to bed." The shortest one scolded.

"Calm down, Sunny." Sooyoung scrambled up to avoid the shortest one, "I was just doing some research for Ms. Kim's paper and time just got away from me. When I did try to sleep, I couldn't, so I ended up watching stuff on T.V and pulled an all-nighter."

"You haven't slept since then?" The raven haired girl said shocked.

"Geez, Yuri." Sooyoung scratched the back of her head, "You really should just worry about yourself. I'm still alive aren't I?"

"Not for long if you keep this up up." Sunny glared.

"Jesus Christ." Sooyoung groaned and laid on Tiffany's mattress.

"Are you guys ready to go?" Tiffany asked, already dressed in her school uniform.

Her three friends smiled and headed out for the door.

"Ahh!" Yuri stretched her arms out and sighed. "It's such a nice morning, why do we have to waste it being stuck inside a damn classroom all freakin' day anyway?"

"Because they don't allow high school students to skip class because the seniors last year decided to ruin it for all of us."

"I still blame them." Tiffany grumbled and kicked a pebble with the tip of her shoe.

"Aish." Sunny scratched the back of her head, "Let it go, guys. Besides, those s are suffering with entrance exams. Just let it be."

"They were the ones who ruined it for this graduating class anyway." Sooyoung pouted.

Choi Sooyoung, also known as Youngie or the 5'6 shikshin. She may not look like much with her short, boyish-like hair and her slender physique, but she is one of Soshi Arts Academy's most athletic players, other than her rival, Kim Taeyeon. The 16 year old was one of the fastest runners in the track team, one of the best forwards on the soccer team, and a hell of rebounder for the basketball team. Her three best friends had never failed to miss any of her games that earned Sooyoung a Soshi Scholarship for sports, unlike her older sister, Soojin who was always at her boyfriend's house doing God knows what. Although she isn't the brightest tool in the shed, she always had the heart of a lion. Her big mouth and quick temper always seemed to find its way to get her into trouble which causes Sunny and Yuri to always bail her out.

"Aish. Just stop talking already. You're starting to irritate me." She scratched her head and glared at her friend.

Tiffany Hwang, a 5'3 individual was Sooyoung's partner in crime. Although not as athletic as Sooyoung, she was the mastermind behind all the pranks the two have pulled over the years that they have been friends. She had always been the one working behind the scenes while Sooyoung did all the hard labor. Tiffany's six sense of money had landed her the Soshi Scholarship for the newest business program that opened two years ago. Although, she would never admit it, she keeps a guitar in the back of her closet that only her three best friends know about. She tends to keep things to herself which is pretty much why no one outside of the little group approaches her.

"Calm down you two." Sunny stepped in between them before a fight could break out between the two girls.

Lee Sunkyu or Sunny Lee was the mother of the group. She was the one who formed the little group together in the first place. Through Sunny's kind actions and loving personality, she had managed to break up a fight between Tiffany and Sooyoung back in middle school, knowing full well that the two had hated each other since elementary school. She's the group's little miracle worker and always seems to cheer everyone up when they're all down. A talent that the little group has loved about Sunny because of her tender love and care. Although she had a motherly side, Sunny is also one of the smartest kids in their grade 11th grade class. She had managed to become Soshi Arts Academy's co-robotics captain, making her the youngest robotics captain in the years that the school has been founded.

"I don't know why you are acting like this." Yuri laughed. "We don't graduate for another 3 years."

Kwon Yuri, the only person in the little group who actually has friends outside of the group because she is one of the best dancers Soshi Arts Academy has to offer. Her outgoing personality along with her confidence are two amazing traits the other three girls have always been jealous of. Yuri is the only one in the group that is able to hold a nice, normal conversation with anyone and is sincerely friendly with everyone she meets. Her radiant smile is her biggest dropper, especially in this all-girl school. Rumors have been spreading about her being the hottest "Oppa" around campus because of what she wears outside of school even though the school uniform gives her just as much justice. 

Tiffany shrugged, "I don't know guys, but it seems like Youngie need to reevaluate her life right now."

"What makes you say that?" Yuri turned her head and tilted her head.

Sunny pointed. "I think this speaks for itself."

"NOOOOOO!" Sooyoung screamed as she dropped to her knees and buried her face in her hands and shook her head. "This can't be happening..."

Yuri looked at the school and saw that there was a medium size poster stapled on the school's daily bulletin board.

"'Due to the current construction, the track and field will be closed till further notice." Yuri read aloud. "The front office sincerely apologizes for the track and field students and to the rest of the student body who planned on using the track and field in the future.'"

Sunny, Tiffany and Yuri fell silent. All three pairs of eyes were glued to the Sooyoung crying on her knees.