20 Seconds of Bravery

20 Seconds of Bravery

“Unnie?”

 

Jessica sighed, “Are we going at this again?”

 

Tiffany laughed, “No. I have a question, a serious question that I need an answer to.”

 

“What is it?” Jessica asked. “I swear that I will seriously give you a serious answer if you ask me a question that serious.”

 

Tiffany crossed her arms, “I don’t even wanna ask you anymore because you’re just gonna go and do this again.”

 

Jessica poked her cheek, “Tell me.”

 

Tiffany shook her head, “You’re not gonna take the question seriously.”

 

“Alright, I promise to answer it.” Jessica said in a serious voice.

 

“Have you ever liked a girl?”

 

“Me?”

 

“Is there anyone else in the car?”

 

Jessica laughed, “I have liked a girl. Why do you ask?”

 

Tiffany shrugged, “Just asking. I told you something about myself, it only seems fitting that you tell me something about yourself.”

 

Jessica nodded, “Alright, fair enough. Was there anything else you’d like to know about me?”

 

The younger shook her head, “Nothing I can think of at the moment, but I’ll be sure to ask you more questions once I think of some more.” She smiled and focused her view back to the windows. “Unnie?”

 

“Yes, Miyoung?” Tiffany opened , but soon closed it when she heard her Korean name being said. “Something wrong?” Jessica looked at her.

 

“No one has ever called me by my Korean name in a long time.”

 

“Your dad doesn’t call you Miyoung?”

 

She shook her head once again. “Appa is in America with my two siblings. They don’t really call me nowadays since I’ve been super busy with school and things like that.”

 

“All you do is go to school and hang out with your friends. How are you too busy to talk to your own family that you probably haven’t seen in a very long time?”

 

“Well, it’s super easy actually. Since my dad is retired, he is somewhere in the world. He never likes to stay in one place for too long. It also helps that he was in the military, so he gets a lot of benefits when he travels. My brother and sister both have families of their own, so they don’t really call me as much as they used to, but they still call me from time to time. Even though our conversations are practically pointless because it’s always the same shallow greeting over and over again. Plus, whenever I ask them if I can stay at one of their houses over the summer, the answer is always no, so I just stopped talking to them altogether.”

 

“So you and your family are basically all strangers?”

 

Tiffany nodded, “Pretty much. I don’t even think my dad wants to talk to me. The last time that happened, we got in a really big argument because I told him that I wanted to stay in Korea after my mom died.”

 

“What happened?”

 

“Well, before death happened in my family, I used to spend my summer vacations here in Korea with my grandparents on my mom’s side. When I was in 4th grade, my grandpa died, then in 5th, my grandma died. So my mom decided to move to Korea for a while to settle some legal stuff with my aunt. Since it was summer vacation, I decided to go with my mom and while she went to settle the legal stuff, I was going to live with my aunt and her family. Over the summer, my mom got really sick. It was a really high fever and then her respiratory system just shut down on her. My dad called my aunt and told her to enroll me for school here since I would be a couple of months behind if I go to school in America. So I enrolled here and started studying here. When I finished the school year there, I told my dad that I wanted to stay here and finish school here and go to college here. He obviously didn’t like the idea, but since I was already here, he couldn’t really do much in order to bring me back to the States. Ever since I told him that I wanted to stay here, he took it personally, like I didn’t wanna go back home, but honestly, I don’t think that I ever do wanna go back home. Korea reminds me of my mom and grandparents, so I don’t really think I would ever want to leave. This feels more like home to me.”

 

“You didn’t have friends when you lived in America?”

 

“Friends?” Tiffany laughed. “Of course, I didn’t have friends. Why do you think I always went to Korea on summer vacations?”

 

Jessica laughed, “I guess you’re right.”

 

“What about you?”

 

“What about me?”

 

“What’s your story?”

 

“Mine?”

 

“Do you see anyone else in this car?”

 

“What do you wanna know?”

 

“What’s your family like?”

 

“Umm…let me see…” Jessica hummed as she thought about her answer. “I have a little sister named Krystal, she just turned 17 a few weeks ago actually. My parents know that I like girls and I’ve never really showed much interest in men. That pretty much sums up my entire life.”

 

“Really?” Tiffany gave her a surprised look.

 

“Really.” Jessica nodded. “Well, I was born in San Francisco, which is why my full name is Jessica Sooyeon Jung.”

 

“Huh.”

 

“What?”

 

“I thought that you would have had a much harder life than me in all honestly.”

 

“Why do you say that?”

 

Tiffany shrugged, “I don’t know. You look like the type.”

 

“The type?”

 

Tiffany shrugged, “I don’t know what I’m talking about anymore, I’m going to sleep for a bit. Wake me up when we’re back in town.”

 

“So I’m just gonna drive back to town and you’re not even gonna keep me company?”

 

Tiffany smiled, “Glad you understand.”

 

— — — — —

 

Sunny and Sooyoung had been sitting at the park for a while and neither of them seemed uncomfortable or bothered by the silence shared between them. Sunny had been looking at the streets right across from her while Sooyoung was kicking the sand underneath her feet. 

 

“I feel like I haven’t seen you in forever, Bunny.” Sooyoung said, taking a deep breath.

 

“I guess it kind of felt like that for a bit.” Sunny replied.

 

“Did you miss me at all?”

 

“I did.”

 

“Did you think about me at all?”

 

“I did.”

 

“I hope they were good thoughts.”

 

“Don’t worry about that.”

 

“Do you see a future in us?” Sooyoung looked at Sunny.

 

She shrugged, “I don’t know.”

 

“Would things have been different if we were adults and not teenagers?”

 

“I think so.”

 

“Is that good or bad?”

 

“I don’t really know.”

 

“Which way do you take this situation as?”

 

“Do you wanna hear the good or the bad first?” Sunny asked.

 

“The bad.”

 

“Bad because if we break up, then our friendship will never be the same ever again. It thinking about it because you’ve always been there for me and took better care of me than Ppany and Yul. We had a more special bond between us that always made me feel like we’ve been best friends for the longest time.” She shrugged. “It felt like I’ve known you my entire life, even when we were still kids. You’ve always treated me better than the other two.”

 

“The good?”

 

“Good because we’re best friends and we have that special bond, like I said a second ago. You already know me better than anyone else and I don’t really have to do much to impress you and things like that. We can skip the dating and move on to being in a relationship, but at the same time, we are just kids. We don’t know what the future has in store for us. For all we know, our future could have two separate ways for us and we end up breaking up. Or you realize that you’re gonna be missing out on a lot of things when we head off to college and break up with me? What then? What’s gonna happen to us in the future?”

 

“Sounds to me like I lose either way.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You think we’re gonna break up in the end no matter what.” Sooyoung sighed. “Do you really think that I’m that kind of person?”

 

“I don’t wanna be the one to hold you back when you go to college.” Sunny said quietly.

 

“I’m glad you like me back though.” Sooyoung grinned.

 

Sunny laughed, “At least we both feel the same way, but doesn’t it scare you though?”

 

“What does?”

 

“Never mind.”

 

“No, tell me.”

 

“It sounds like you plan on being with me for a really long time.”

 

“How is that scary?”

 

“You’ll never be with anyone else.”

 

“How is that scary?” Sooyoung repeated.

 

“You’ve never been in any other relationship.” Sunny reasoned. “If we go out and we last, doesn’t the thought of being with me for the rest of your life scare you?”

 

Sooyoung shook her head, “Not really, no. Does it scare you?”

 

“You’ll never have experience a first kiss with anyone ever again. You’ll never get the butterflies when you ask someone on a date ever again. There’s just going to be a lot of things that you’ll be missing out on if we do go out.”

 

Sooyoung knelt down in front of Sunny, “None of that matters.” She held Sunny’s hands. “I’ll have my first kiss with you. I’ll have the butterflies when I ask you out. I’ll have all these things with you and that’s all that matters to me. I’ve always felt this way about you and I don’t think that these feelings for you will go away just like that. I don’t think that’s how this works.”

 

Sunny laughed and squeezed Sooyoung’s hands, “You really think we’ll last?”

 

“I think we can.”