20 Seconds of Bravery

20 Seconds of Bravery

Three days have passed since the school closed down the track and field. Sooyoung had been trying to find new ways to occupy herself with the new amount of free time that had been bestowed upon her. In three days, she had cleaned out her dorm along with Tiffany's, Sunny's and Yuri's. Somehow found an old label maker and labelled everything in her dorm, including her bed and label maker. If Yuri hadn't been with Sooyoung, the teenager would have probably bought another label maker just so she had something to label the other label maker. 

Although Sooyoung had all the time in the world, her grades were still failing. Even though she was bored out of her mind, cracking open her textbooks was still something that never seemed to cross her mind. With her dorm being right across from Tiffany's, she had been spending a lot more time with the latter even though their time consisted of Tiffany doing some actual studying while Sooyoung found new ways to bother her friend. 

"Someone take this girl off my hands." Tiffany gripped her hair in hopes to control some of her anger. "I can't find any peace! She throws wadded up paper at me and scratch paper, but paper that I actually need to finish the homework and the notes I take that day! She kicks me under the table at every chance she gets because "her legs are too long" and she can't help it because they have a mind of their own! She's driving me crazy! I haven't had a moment's peace. When I'm at school, she's there. When I'm walking home, she always manages to catch with me. When I'm in my own dorm, she finds ways to get in!"

"It can't be that bad, Ppany." Yuri said, trying not to laugh at Tiffany's current state of mind.

"This climbed through my window thinking that I left it open for her to slither through." Tiffany glared at Yuri with her crazy eyes.

"Sounds like you are in quiet a pickle, my friend." Yuri patted her back.

"Sunny, you gotta help me out, man. If she keeps this up, I will probably punch her."

"I would pay to see that!" Yuri cheered.

"Tiffany is not going to punch Sooyoung."

"Can I punch Sooyoung?" 

"No!" Sunny glared at Yuri, who slowly lowered her hand. She turned to Tiffany. "What if I take her off your hands tomorrow?"

"Why not today?" Tiffany asked.

"Because I have a robotics meeting and I don't want Youngie there. We all know how this gentle giant can't sit still to save her life." Sunny sighed. "I need the juniors and seniors to take me seriously. I can't have them doing that if Youngie is in the room with me constantly asking me questions and interrupting every five seconds."

Tiffany nodded in agreement, "Alright. I better start walking home. I'm probably going to stop at The Coffee Hut to study."

"Can I catch up with you later at The Coffee Hut?" Yuri asked. "I need to study too and maybe you can help me with it."

"Me too." Sunny added. "Plus I can help you and Yuri with math and science. Maybe force Sooyoung to actually study for once."

Tiffany nodded, "Maybe she just needs something to motivate her."

"See you two later." Sunny grabbed her backpack and started heading towards the Physics building.

"In a while crocodile." Yuri did a small salute and jogged towards the gym.

Tiffany stacked her Economics and Accounting workbooks and grabbed her backpack as she headed towards the door. It was actually a good day, but she knew that this relaxing feeling wasn't going to last with Sooyoung appearing at any given moment. She sighed as she felt the touch of the wind graze her skin.

"Hey wassup hallo!" A familiar voice said, interrupting her relaxing thoughts. An arm suddenly locked her neck and knuckles started to mess up her hair.

"Argh!" Tiffany grunted. "Stop!"

Sooyoung laughed and eventually stopped, "Here, let me carry your books for you." She offered.

"What game are you playing at Choi?" Tiffany gave her a skeptical glance.

"Nothing, really." Sooyoung smiled and held out her hands. "I know I've probably been bothering you and all these past couple of days. Truce?"

"Truce." Tiffany handed her workbooks to Sooyoung.

"Can we stop by at the dorms first?"

"Why?"

"I wanna grab my textbooks."

Tiffany stopped where she was and gave Sooyoung a worried look. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, why?"

"You want to study." Tiffany said in awe. "You never study."

"I know," Sooyoung sheepishly scratched the back of her head and looked at the ground. "Sunny likes smart people, like Narsha Unnie and you. I'm obviously not so smart."

"Of course you're smart." Tiffany assured, "Maybe not book smart, but you're smart in more ways than just one."

"I got a 17 out of 60 in our last English test and I somehow managed to spell my name wrong! Ugh!" Sooyoung kicked a pebble that hit the wall that bounced back and hit her knee. "Ow! God dammit! See?!" Tiffany covered to hide her laughter. "Go ahead and laugh. I know you want to."

"You !" Tiffany screeched and bent forward as her laugh started to get stronger and stronger. "It was just a rock!"

The walk back to their dorm was quiet, except for Tiffany laughing every now and then at Sooyoung's early actions. Sooyoung walked silently, still carrying Tiffany's workbooks. She had been spacing out a lot recently thinking about how she was going to impress Sunny in the upcoming exam. She had tried to study on her own the past two weeks, but since track practice was always letting the team out late, she had been too tired to actually study. Now that the track and field is closed, the teenager had tried to do some self-studying by herself, but she would always get bored and then do something like go to Tiffany's dorm or clean something in her own dorm or find anything to distract herself from her current situation.

When the two got to their dorms, Sooyoung handed Tiffany her workbooks and gave her a small smile, "Thanks again for helping me out, Ppany. I need to impress Sunny on our next exam, maybe she'll consider me as one of her suitors."

"Suitor?" Tiffany raised her eyebrow. "Why don't you just study to make your grades better instead of trying to impress Sunny?"

Sooyoung's small smile turned into a grin, "Because she makes me want to do better and actually try in school so our future will be safe and secure."

She shook her head, "You need to get your head out of the clouds." She opened her dorm door. "Just knock when you're done getting your things together. I'm just gonna change, these school uniforms make me feel uncomfortable."

"I'll see you in a little bit." She waved and disappeared in her dorm.

Tiffany found a pair of shorts, a lose t-shirt that she tucked in the front and a cardigan that went a little longer than her shorts. She grabbed a box of pocky and stuffed a couple in before putting her laptop in her backpack. She grabbed her two workbooks from earlier and headed for Sooyoung's dorm.

"Oh, fancy running into you here."

"Where's Sunny?" 

"Nice to see you too, Ppany." Yuri pouted. "Sunny's downstairs. She's sitting in the lobby waiting for you and Youngie to finish up."

"Hey guys." Sooyoung grinned as she came out of her dorm. "How'd you two manage to beat me and Ppany here anyway?"

Yuri shrugged, "We rode our bikes back."

"Damn." Sooyoung laughed.

"What?"

"You are one of the hottest Oppas around."

Yuri eyed her own outfit. It wasn't really anything outlandish, just a simple outfit. Her black skinny jeans hugged her toned legs quiet nicely and her tight white v-neck shirt complimented her curves in all the right places. Her signature black leather jacket and her sunglasses tucked on the left side pocket gave her a "bad girl" vibe.

Yuri scoffed, "You look like your mother still dresses you."

"Hurtful, man." Sooyoung covered herself, "My mom actually picked these clothes as my weekend going out clothes. She works hard."

"Your mother is all the way on the other side of Korea. She is literally a 7 hour drive, how can she possibly help you pick your clothes out?"

-----
SUNDAY NIGHT

"Umma, what about this one?" Sooyoung grinned holding up a graphic tee with high waisted shorts in front of the webcam. "Wouldn't this make me look cool?"

Her mom shook her head, "I want you to wear leggings and a shirt and then a plaid shirt. I don't want boys looking at you the wrong way."

"But Umma..." She whined.

-----

"My mother finds ways." Sooyoung took a pocky from Tiffany's hand and stuffed it in her face. "Besides, I'd rather have her worry about me than Unnie. I feel like if she knew what that woman was doing with her boyfriend, my mother would have a heartattack." 

"What took you guys so long?" Sunny asked, standing up from the couch. "Let's go before all the good tables are taken."

The four friends walked in comfortable silence as they made their way to the Coffee Hut.

"Soo, use your height to find us a table with an outlet." Sunny smiled, pulling the end of Sooyoung's plaid shirt.

Sooyoung placed her hand on her forehead and scoured the place to look for an empty table that was able to seat four even though the place was usually empty. Yuri rolled her eyes and headed to their usual hang out spot in the very corner of the store. Sunny and Tiffany followed shortly behind her as the three friends sat down at the rectangle table. Sunny and Tiffany pulled out their laptops and plugged them into the outlets and placed their textbooks in the middle of the table. Yuri pulled out her Calculus textbook, a stack of binder paper and her pencil box without forgetting a heavy sigh. Sooyoung looked at all three of her smart friends and pulled out a stack of her doodles from her "study session" with Tiffany from the other day. 

Sunny looked at Sooyoung, "You didn't bring your textbooks to our study date?"

Sooyoung blushed, "St-study date? There's four of us here." Tiffany nudged her underneath the table and gave her a look. "I mean, of course it isn't a study date with just the two of us. It's just four friends sitting at a coffee house with their textbooks studying..." Yuri smacked her face with her palm. "Obviously, I'm not gonna  study because all I brought with me was a stack of drawings, but maybe we should all just study because that's why we are all gathered here today on this joyous occasion to study...right?"

Yuri sighed with her palm still on her face, "We are just studying. Calm down, Romeo." She stood up and grabbed her wallet. "I'll go get us something to drink and some snacks."

"H-hey!" Sooyoung turned bright red. "Just study and let me do my own doodles."

 Tiffany opened her laptop and began typing in hopes to try to hide her laughter, but was still stealing glances at Sooyoung. "Jesus Soo, you should have Sunny help you study for next week's test."

"Are you guys in a study group?" A voice asked.

Tiffany turned her head, but her eyes were still glued to her laptop, "Yeah we are. Did you need something?"

"Do you guys need another person?" The voice asked. "I mean, I'm pretty smart I guess, but you guys look smarter than me. I could use the extra help with my classes."

Tiffany looked up and saw the figure. There was an angel dressed in skinny jeans, sandals and a floral top that showed a little bit of her stomach. "Uhhh...."

"Which school do you go to?" The stranger asked.

"We all go to Soshi." Sunny asnwered. "I'm Sunny by the way." She held her hand out towards the stranger. "Lee Sunkyu, but called me Sunny."

The stranger held her hand out, "Jung Sooyeon, but call me Jessica and I also go to Soshi."

"That stuttering blabber mouth is my friend, Hwang Miyoung, but her name is Tiffany. That one over there is is Choi Sooyoung."

Yuri suddenly appeared, "Bunny, they ran out of blueberry scones, but they still had the vanilla bean scones, so I got those. I got the snacks that pop candy bread thing that Ppany likes, but never really cared enough to remember the name of. I got Youngie a bunch of blueberry bread. They're making the drinks right now, so once they finish that, I'll go get them."

"Yul, this is our new study buddy, Jessica Jung." Sunny smiled.

"Kwon Yuri." Yuri smiled and held out her hand. "So what's a pretty girl like you talking to girls like them?"

Jessica laughed, "I'm just looking for a study group. I was hoping that I could join your little group."

"The more the merrier." Yuri laughed and pulled out a seat next to Tiffany, "Have a seat and we can all get our brains racking together."

Tiffany blushed when Jessica sat beside her with her perfume smelling like heaven. "What classes are you taking this year?" The teenage brunette was at a loss of words. She couldn't think of words fast enough, so she just ended up pointing at her business textbooks and her laptop. "Economics and Accounting?" Jessica looked at where Tiffany's finger was pointing at. "You must be really smart. Did you get a scholarship?" Tiffany nodded. "Are you gonna talk to me at some point today?"

"Cookie?" Yuri leaned over and smiled, trying to save her friend from more embarrassment.