20 Seconds of Bravery

20 Seconds of Bravery

The four high school students and undergrad frantically ran down five flights of stairs while a tall, skinny girl had one of her friends over her shoulder. Sooyoung was already running out of breath by the time they had gotten to the third flight of stairs. She knew that Sunny was too small to carry Yuri, Tiffany and Jessica didn't seem to have too much stamina to begin with and there was no way in hell she was going to let Narsha take a turn at carrying Yuri. She wanted to prove to Sunny that she was more than just a stupid teenager who wasn't really anything to her group of friends. She knew that in order to do so, she had to carry Yuri all the way down the five flights of stairs and into Jessica's car. By doing so, Sooyoung had thought that it would impress Sunny and that it would show her that she wasn't the same person back in elementary and middle school. She had to prove to Sunny that she had changed for the better and that she was the entire reason why she wanted to be a better person than she was the day before. Sooyong knew that in order to win Sunny's love, she had to prove to her that she had matured and that she had grown up.

All those nights she had spent by herself locked up in her dorm room with books scattered, hair up in a messy bun and in sweats had to be for something. All those countless hours of being hunched over trying to get the material to stick to her pathetic brain had to be for something. All those nights Tiffany and Yuri had stayed up with her drinking a cup of coffee after the other just so she could keep her eyes open long enough to memorize another vocabulary word had to be for something. All those nights she stayed awake lying in bed thinking about how she would ever support Sunny and their future together had to be for something. All those thoughts that rushed through Sooyoung's mind all at the same time as she ran down the flight of stairs in hopes to prove to Sunny that she's been in love with her since they had been kids.

"Yah!" 

"What?" Sooyoung huffed.

"Watch it. I'm crippled." Yuri smack Sooyoung's back.

"I can just drop you." Sooyoung panted as she ran down the fourth flight of stairs.

"Knock it off you two." Tiffany panted in between her words.

When they finally reached the first floor, the girls rushed to Jessica's car.

"My car only has 5 seats and since I'm driving, someone has to stay behind." Jessica informed.

"I guess that's Narsha Unnie." Sooyoung quickly said as she put Yuri in the back seat in between her and Sunny.

"I'm sorry, Unnie." Tiffany said as she got in the front seat. "I know you're worried, but we'll let you know how Yuri's doing. I'm sure Sunny will text you."

"No she won't!" Sooyoung yelled over the sound of the car's screeching noise as it sped off. Sunny glared at Sooyong. "What?"

"That was rude of you." She crossed her arms.

"You're seriously not thinking about going out with her are you?" Sooyoung looked back at her.

"So what if I was?" Sunny looked away. "It's not like you have the right to tell me what to do."

"Of course, I can't tell you what to do because even if I did tell you what to do, you still wouldn't do it. You never listen to what I have to say, it's always what you have to say. When do you ever listen to me?" Sooyoung's face went red from talking too fast and she started to run out of breath.

"I listen to you, Young." Yuri piped in.

"Thanks, Yul." Sooyoung said angrily. "At least someone in this car does."

Tiffany slumped back in her seat and sighed. She made a short eye-contact with Yuri who seemed to have gotten the message and gave her a small nod in return. Jessica looked at the girl in the passenger seat and then the injured girl in the back seat. She let out a silent sigh knowing that it was going to be an awkward car ride to the hospital.

-----

"Please sign this form and we will call your friend up to get checked up." The nurse behind the window informed as she handed Sunny a clipboard with a small stack of papers. "You look like a responsible person, fill this out for your friend and give it back. Next." Sunny took the clipboard and gave her a small bow. 

"Wow." Tiffany said once they were far enough. "She was a ."

"No , Sherlock." Sunny slumped next to Yuri as she started to fill in the important information.

Awkward silence covered the girls. Sunny was scribbling away, too occupied to notice a sulking Sooyoung in the furthest corner of the hospital's emergency room. Yuri was given some sort of pain medication, so she had been going in and out of consciousness. Jessica was suddenly very interested in her cuticle care and busied herself by looking at them. Tiffany was looking back and forth at Sooyoung and Jessica, unsure if she should talk to Jessica or go make sure Sooyoung was okay.

"I'm gonna go." Sooyoung suddenly stood up with an annoyed look on her face.

"Want me to take you home?" Jessica looked up.

She shook her head. "I'd rather walk."

Without another word, Sooyoung walked through the E.R doors and began walking home.

"You're not gonna go after her?" Tiffany looked at Sunny.

"Why should I?" Sunny shrugged. "She said she wanted to go home. Let her go home instead of making sure that her best friend is okay and she hasn't broken anything."

"You're kidding right?" The brunette gave her friend a look of disbelief. "You're not gonna go after her?"

Sunny sighed and slammed the pen on the clipboard causing Yuri to snap back into reality. "Look, Ppany, I get it. I do. Sooyoung likes me. I can't deal with that right now. It's always been me taking care of the three of you because you es can't seem to keep your together. So once I'm done taking care of this dumb ," She pointed at Yuri, "then, I'm gonna go to Sooyoung's dorm and make sure that that other dumb is okay." She pointed to the E.R's double doors. "Then once I'm done with that, I have to make sure that you," She pointed at Tiffany with the pen, "the other dumb , knows what happens after I talk to Sooyoung because you and I both know that she's gonna go crying to you. Okay?"

Tiffany slumped back on her chair. She felt herself getting smaller and smaller as Sunny ranted on and on about how she was tired of everything they kept putting her through. "I'm sorry that you feel like all we do is cause you trouble."

"I'm sorry too, Bunny." Yuri's head bobbed back and forth as she slurred her words.

Jessica awkward stood up, "I'm gonna go get some snacks."

Tiffany slowly nodded while Sunny just gave her a nod and went back to writing on the clipboard. The brunette stared at the square patterns on the hospital floor when her phone rang.

Ding.

'Hey, is Yul OK?' -Sooyoung

'Not sure. We're still waiting in the lobby.'

'How pissed is she?' -Sooyoung

'Pretty pissed. She's mad at all of us though. Kinda just snapped.'

'What do you mean?' -Sooyoung

'I'll call you tonight and tell you.'

'I'm in some deep huh?' -Sooyoung

'I think we're all in some deep .'

'' -Sooyoung

Tiffany sighed and closed her phone. ", indeed." She muttered under her breath.

"Kwon Yuri, the doctor will see you now."

Sunny softly shook Yuri by the shoulder, "C'mon, Yul." Yuri slowly opened her eyes and smacked her lips together.

The two friends silently walked through the doors together and eventually disappeared when the door shut behind them. Tiffany opened her phone once again and let out a heavy sigh.

'I'm gonna keep my distance with Sunny for a bit until she cools off. I don't wanna set her off.'

'Yeah. I think I'm gonna do that too.' -Sooyoung

Tiffany was almost surprised that Sooyoung had replied almost instantly. 'Where are you?'

'Just walking back to the dorm. I stopped by for some food. Want some later?' -Sooyoung

'Yeah. I'll be here for a while though.'

'I'll probably still be awake, besides, Yul is gonna wanna come over anyway.' -Sooyoung

'Alright'

Tiffany closed her phone and put it back in her blazer pocket.

"Is everything alright?" An angelic voice asked.

She sighed, "Yeah. This is just the first time Sunny's gotten this mad at all of us like this."

"Wanna talk about it?" Jessica rubbed Tiffany's back.

Tiffany let out a heavy breath, "I guess it all kinda started when Sooyoung and I got in a fight back when we were kids. I honestly don't know how, but Sunny somehow managed to get us to be the best of friends. I mean, knowing how close Youngie and I now, you wouldn't have guessed that we used to be sworn enemies when we were kids. The three of us have a really bad temper, not gonna lie, but Sunny had always been patient with us. You saw how Yul snapped in the Chemistry Club, that's normal for us. This isn't the first time we've been to the hospital." She tiredly laughed. "I think Sunny just got sick and tired of us fighting all the time. Maybe this is the last straw."

"Do you guys usually make up afterwards?"

"We never really made up." Tiffany scratched the back of her head. "Now that I think about it, we never really apologized after all those times we've put Sunny in these kinds of situations. But I think that I'm gonna keep my distance from her just until she cools down. Youngie was saying the same thing. What do you think I should do?"

Jessica shrugged, "I think that you should apologize, but maybe wait when she isn't in this kind of mood because people can say some mean things when they're stressed. I hope you and Sooyoung don't take what she had said a little while ago to heart."

The double doors opened and Sunny appeared. Yuri walked behind her with her right arm in a sling. She gave Tiffany a bright smile.

"I am OK!" Yuri grinned.

"What'd they say?" Tiffany asked, getting up.

Yuri shrugged, "They said that it was good to see me again."

"Idiot." The brunette smacked her forehead. "What'd they say about your shoulder?"

"Oh, they just had to pop it back in place." Yuri gave her a thumbs up. "Now let's go to Youngie's dorm. She probably has food."

Tiffany nodded, "Did you wanna come, Bunny?"

Sunny gave her a quick glare, "No. I just wanna go back to my dorm."

"O-ok." Tiffany said.

"Let's go then." Jessica stood up and started walking to her car. "Who am I dropping off first?"

"Me." Sunny said without much hesitation.

Sunny sat in the front seat with Jessica this time while Yuri and Tiffany sat in the back seat. Sensing the vibes Sunny had been giving all night, Yuri decided to keep shut which caused the car ride to Sunny's dorm to be awkward. Sunny kept an angry face. She didn't seem to have any intention of looking anywhere else but forward. Her arms were still crossed and the only time she spoke up was when she was giving the driver directions to her dorm.

"Goodnight, Bu--" Yuri and Tiffany said together, but Sunny had already slammed the door shut before they could even finish.

Tiffany sighed and used Yuri's good shoulder as a head rest, "We ed up really bad this time, Yul, didn't we?"

Yuri sighed, "Yeah, we did."

Ring. Ring. Ring.

"Oh, that's my phone." Yuri said. "Can you get that? It's in my left jacket pocket."

"Hello?" Tiffany answered.

"Ppany?"

"Youngie?"

"Why do you have Yul's phone?" Sooyoung asked.

"I was answering it for her. What's up?"

"I have the food, I just need to reheat it and stuff when you guys get here. Sound like a plan?"

Tiffany looked at Yuri, "Youngie has food ready. Did you just wanna spend the night in her dorm tonight instead of going home this late?" Yuri nodded. "Alright. Is it alright if, Jessica Unnie comes? She did take us to the hospital and all."

"Of course, you can bring your lover. That is not a problem." Sooyoung laughed on the other side of the line.

Tiffany hung up, "Unnie?"

"Yes?" Jessica said from the front.

"Did you wanna go to Youngie's house and have dinner?" Tiffany asked, "You know, as a thank you for driving Yul to the hospital and dealing with the drama between the four of us."

Jessica laughed, "Alright."

-----

Knock. Knock.

"Hey guys." Sooyoung grinned as she opened her dorm door. "Make yourself at home, Jessica Unnie. If you need anything, just ask and one of us will get it for you."

Jessica looked around, "Do I just sit on the floor?" She pointed to an empty spot on the floor by the table.

Sooyoung looked embarrassed and scratched the back of her head, "Yeah... Sorry about that, but you can use my desk chair if you want." Tiffany and Yuri both looked at each other and then back at Sooyoung.

"All our dorms are actually like this, Unnie." Yuri piped in. "Since we're students, they dorms are all built for just one person to live in."

"Yeah." Tiffany added. "I don't think that any of the students have chairs and their dining tables are usually fit for sitting on the floor."

"I'm sorry," Jessica apoogized, "I didn't mean to make you guys feel uncomfortable. It was just when I was in high school, I lived with 3 other girls, so we had a dining room."

"Oh!" Sooyoung waved her hands in front of her, "Don't worry about it. Let's just all forget that this ever happened and let me just bring the food on the table."

Tiffany started laughing and eventually Yuri joined in. 

"What's so funny?" Jessica looked at the two high school students.

"You just sounded really old!" Tiffany smacked her hand repeatedly on the table as she continued to laugh.

Yuri almost fell backwards from laughter, "She really did! She sounded like an ahjumma telling us all about when she was a youngster."

Sooyoung placed the pot of ramen in the middle of the table and handed everyone a pair of chopsticks. "Stop laughing at our new Unnie and eat."