20 Seconds of Bravery

20 Seconds of Bravery

Tiffany stood in front of Jessica’s house and rang the doorbell. A few minutes had passed, but there wasn’t an answer at the door. She checked her watch, it was only 8 AM, she should be awake. She rang her doorbell a few more times, but there was no answer.

 

Pulling out her phone, she began to call the number, “Are you home?”

 

“What do you want?” The voice sounded hoarse.

 

“I’m outside. Open the door.” Tiffany rang the doorbell once again.

 

“You’re what?!” Jessica automatically shot up from her bed.

 

“I’m outside.” Tiffany repeated. “Did I stutter?”

 

“Give me a second.” Jessica scrambled out of bed to get some decent clothes.

 

“Wait. Let me in first!” Tiffany yelled over the phone.

 

“Hold on, Hwang.” Jessica said coldly. “I need to put clothes on first.”

 

Tiffany groaned, “Let me in. It’s cold.”

 

Jessica shook her head. In her short shorts and loose tank top, she opened the door. “Happy?”

 

Tiffany eyed Jessica up and down, “Wow.”

 

“What?”

 

“You’re beautiful.”

 

Jessica blushed and looked at the ground. “I’m gonna go get ready.” She said quickly and disappeared in her bedroom.

 

Tiffany smiled and looked at what she was wearing. It wasn’t much, but she did put some effort into it. She was wearing her favorite pink button up with some white shorts along with brown sandals and a black cardigan to tie the entire outfit together. She even got a second opinion from Sunny, Sooyoung and Yuri.

 

— — — — —

 

The night before

 

“What are you gonna wear?” Sooyoung asked, who was lying on her bed.

 

Tiffany shrugged, “I haven’t really given it much thought, actually.”

 

“Are you serious?” Yuri walked to them and sat on the bed.

 

“First date impressions are the most important impressions!” Sooyoung sat up. “You need to start digging through your closet and find something presentable.”

 

“What’s the big deal?” Tiffany looked confused.

 

“Are you gonna meet her parents wearing sweats or are you gonna wear a very formal attire?” Yuri asked.

 

“You’re right, you’re right.” Tiffany nodded and started digging through her closet to find things she was going to wear tomorrow. She pulled out a oink floral dress and a long, brown cardigan. “What about these?”

 

“Too much.” Yuri shook her head. “It makes you look like you’re trying too hard to impress her.”

 

“But I am trying hella hard to impress her.” Tiffany defended.

 

“She doesn’t need to know that.” Sunny grinned. “Next.”

 

Tiffany groaned and came out holding brown skinny jeans and a plaid button up shirt, “How about this one?”

 

“Too casual for a date.” Yuri shook her head.

 

“But it is a casual date.” Tiffany sighed.

 

“She’s probably gonna wanna wear a dress. So you can’t wear a dress. There can only be one of you wearing a dress, one has to wear the pants in this relationship.” Sooyoung said.

 

“Hold on.” Tiffany walked in the closet and came out holding a white pair of shorts and a pink button up that were folded to her elbows. “Well?”

 

“Perfect!” Sunny, Sooyoung and Yuri gave her a thumbs up.

 

— — — — —

 

“Where are we going?” Jessica asked with a smile on her face.

 

Tiffany held her hand and smiled, “To the Han River. There’s a restaurant that just opened over there and I thought that it would be best to go there and have brunch.”

 

She admired the girl who has holding her hand. Never in her life would she ever think that this perfection was going to end up being with her. Her perfect floral sundress perfectly hugged her curves. Being around was so easy, that it almost came naturally. The way their hands hugged each other and just everything else. 

 

It was like she was made for loving her.

 

Did she actually in love with her?

 

She shook the thought out of her head. It was too soon for her to be thinking about love, let alone a life with Jessica. She wasn’t even sure if this day would go the way it was planned. Her future had to be financially stable before she would ever think about getting a serious girlfriend.

 

Tiffany knew she would have to bring it up at one point in this relationship, if it would last that long anyway. A junior in high school shouldn’t have to make those kinds of decisions, at least not while they were still in high school.

 

Jessica looked over at her and smiled. “What?” Tiffany asked.

 

“Nothing.” Jessica’s smile got even wider. “I’m just happy, that’s all.”

 

Tiffany smiled back, “Even though I woke you up in the middle of your beauty sleep?”

 

“Even though you woke me up.” She laughed.

 

The two of the entered the restaurant, hand in hand. It was a quiet place. A sound of smooth jazz music could be heard above the chatter of people. The servers were very presentable and well put-together. The walls were a dark shade of brown along with the tables and chairs to match. The light from the mid-day sun escaped through the windows, which gave the place a very nice glow.

 

“Do you have a reservation, madam?” A gentleman bowed.

 

“Yes,” Tiffany answered. “It is either under Tiffany Hwang or Kwon Yuri.”

 

The man hummed as he looked for the names. “I’m sorry, but there isn’t any under that name.”

 

“Are you sure?” Tiffany frowned. “Is Choi Sooyoung there?”

 

“I’m sorry, but no.” The man shook his head.

 

Tiffany huffed, “Well, do you have any tables available for two?”

 

The man nodded, “We do, but it’s not in the best location.”

 

“I’m sure, it’s not that bad.” Jessica patted Tiffany’s hand.

 

“Follow me.” The man led the way. 

 

After a few lefts and rights, the two were finally stopped at a small table next to a very large plant. It was by the door where the servers were coming in and out of the room behind it with trays and food.

 

“Are you sure you wanna stay here?” Tiffany looked over at Jessica. “You know we can always go somewhere else, right?”

 

“This is fine.” Jessica nodded. “Besides, we already made the trip out here and we’re already here. Might as well take what we can get, right?”

 

Tiffany let out a chuckle, “Alright. If the lady wants to stay, then, we shall stay.”

 

“Enjoy.” The man bowed. “A server will be here shortly.”

 

She smiled and held the chair for Jessica and pushed it in, “Thank you.”

 

“You are very welcome.” Tiffany sat on the opposite side of her. “Anything you want. Don’t even worry about the price.”

 

Jessica scanned the menu, “Are you sure?” She bit her bottom lip. “These are really pricey.”

 

Tiffany shook her head, “Don’t even worry about it. My special lady friend deserves the finest things in life.”

 

“Lady friend?”

 

“You’re not my girlfriend yet.” 

 

“What can I start you two lovely ladies with?” The server smiled.

 

“Water for me please.” Tiffany said, “And I would like the Calamari with marinara sauce on the side with cheese, please.” She handed the server the menu.

 

“As you wish.” He said with a nod and looked at Jessica. “And for you?”

 

Jessica tapped her finger to her chin, “I would also like water.” She clicked her tongue. “Can I get the Salmon with salad on the side please?”

 

“Of course.” The server took Jessica’s menu and nodded. “The food will be out shortly.”

 

“This is nice.” Jessica grinned. “I feel like I’m really on a date.”

 

Tiffany frowned, “You are on a real date.”

 

“I mean, it feels like I’m with someone my age.” Jessica explained.

 

“What’s that suppose to mean?” 

 

“Don’t take it the wrong way.” Jessica held Tiffany’s hand. “I haven’t been on a date where the girl acts like her age.”

 

“But I’m 16.” Tiffany pulled away. 

 

Jessica held her hand again. “It’s a good thing. Trust me, it is. It’s been a while since I’ve had some good company.”

 

Tiffany relaxed in her touch, “Okay.

 

“Hello.” The server smiled. “Here is the salmon for the lovely lady.” He sprinkled some salt and pepper and held up a cheese grainer. “Say when.” He began grinding the cheese.

 

Jessica waited after there was a good amount of cheese in her salad, “When.” She smiled, “Thank you.”

 

“And here is your calamari.” He placed the plate in front of Tiffany. “May I give you two some advice?”

 

“Sure.”

 

“The door swings out, around this time, a rush usually happens.” The server stated. “Please be careful of the door hitting you and your table.”

 

Tiffany nodded, “I’ll be sure to keep that in mind, don’t worry.”

 

He nodded, “I’ll be here every so often to make sure that everything is going well for you two.”

 

“He’s getting a good tip.” Tiffany smiled when he walked away.

 

Jessica smiled, “I’m glad you’re here with me today.”

 

“Me t—“ A door hit Tiffany’s side. “Ow!” Jessica covered to keep herself from laughing. Tiffany smiled, “So, how have you been?” 

 

“It’s been good.” Jessica smiled. “How’s your arm?”

 

Tiffany laughed, “It didn’t hurt that much.” Jessica rubbed her arm. “Yeah, it feels so much better now that I’m with you.”

 

“Me too.”

 

“Ow!” A door smacked Tiffany’s face. “My face hurts.” 

 

“Oh my God!” Jessica rubbed Tiffany’s face. “Are you okay? Do you think we should ask for a different place to eat? Did you wanna just go somewhere else?”

 

“Look out!” Someone from behind the door yelled. 

 

“Huh?” 

 

A big bucket of icy, cold water drenched Tiffany right in her seat.

 

“I am so, so sorry!” The girl carrying the bucket put the bucket down and started to help Tiffany clean up.

 

“Wh-why is th-this wa-water s-so c-c-cold?” Tiffany shivered.

 

“Honey, are you okay?” Jessica got up and started patting Tiffany’s with the napkin she had on her lap. 

 

Tiffany nodded, “I think so. It’s just super cold.”

 

The manager suddenly showed up. “What happened here?”

 

“I accidentally spilled water all over her, sir.” She bowed. “It was an accident. I am so sorry.”

 

“What did I tell you about going through the front double doors during work hours? The manager scolded. “This happened last week too. Do I have to fire you for you to finally learn?”

 

The girl looked down, “No, sir. I’m sorry, sir.”

 

“Please, don’t fire her.” Tiffany stood up. “It was an accident. Besides, it’s just water. My clothes can easily be washed.”

 

The manager bowed, “Thank you for your understanding.” He turned back to the girl. “Minseol, this is your last chance. One more screw up and you’re fired, got it?”

 

“Yes, sir.” The girl nodded. “Thank you, sir.” She let out a heavy sigh once the manager walked away.

 

“Are you okay?” Tiffany patted the girl’s shoulder. “That was pretty intense.”

 

Minseol nodded, “Thank you for sticking it up for me back there.”

 

Tiffany smiled and nodded, “Don’t worry about it.”

 

“Wanna get out of here?” Jessica fixed Tiffany’s wet hair. “We should get you home so you can get a new change of clothes.”

 

“Are you sure?” Tiffany stood up. “I don’t want our first date to get ruined.”

 

“It won’t be ruined.” Jessica laughed. “It’s only about 2 in the afternoon. Let’s go and get you in some new change of clothes before you catch a cold.”

 

— — — — —

 

Thankfully, Tiffany had listened to her two friends when they told her to bring an extra blanket and an extra jacket in case it had gotten too cold. Jessica had gotten the jacket, while Tiffany got the blanket.

 

“Are you warm enough?” Tiffany asked.

 

“I’m still a little cold, but it’s alright.” Jessica nodded.

 

“Are you sure?” She asked.

 

Jessica shrugged, “It doesn’t really matter.”

 

“Here.” Tiffany took the blanket off and wrapped Jessica around it. “I’d rather have you be warm.”

 

“But what about you?”  She gave her a worried look.

 

She shook her head, “Don’t even worry about it. I don’t get cold easily.” 

 

That statement was of course a lie. The younger girl was freezing. 

 

“what do—“ A car came speeding down the street and drove over a puddle.

 

Jessica covered .

 

Tiffany’s white shorts now had brown spots on them and her pink button up was no longer pink. She looked and felt dirty actually. The perfect date she wanted with Jessica was now ruined. She spent so much time planning and making sure that everything was going to go smoothly, but she just wasn’t getting her way. It was so frustrating, it made it feel like she was about to cry.

 

“Are you okay?” Jessica gave her a nervous look.

 

Tiffany sniffled, “Yeah. I’m just…”

 

“What?”

 

“I’m just having a bad day.” She looked down at the sidewalk. “This day wasn’t suppose to go like this. It was suppose to be perfect. I had plans, Jessie.”

 

She laughed, “It’s okay. That’s life right there.” She held her hand. “It’s just how it is. Not everything will go the way you planned, but that shouldn’t bring you down. I thought you were better than that.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I thought that you would just shrug that kind of stuff off.” She shrugged. “You know? You’ve always been a very upbeat and cheerful person. I thought that you were just going to laugh this entire thing off. I guess I was wrong.”

 

“You’re right.” Tiffany smiled. “Alright, let’s just go back to my dorm then. Let me just text tell them to get out of my apartment.”

 

Jessica smiled, “Alright.”

 

— — — — — 

 

“She sent the text.”

 

“It’s go time.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“That’s what the text said.”

 

“Calm down, Jesus Christ. Can’t you see I’m going already?”

 

“Hurry up, bunny rabbit.”

 

— — — — —

 

“Did you wanna wait in your car or did you wanna come inside?” Tiffany asked.

 

“I’ll go inside.” Jessica parked her car and started to get out.

 

“Hey guys.” Sunny smiled. “How’s it hanging?”

 

Tiffany shrugged, “I’m just gonna go inside and change.”

 

“Perfect timing.” Sunny smiled. “I needed to ask Unnie something anyway. Mind waiting out here with me?”

 

“I don’t see the problem in that.” Jessica nodded. “What’d you wanna ask?”

 

“If Jesus can walk on water, can he swim on land?” 

 

“Huh?”

 

“Hey Unnie!” Sooyoung grinned. “What brings you to our neck of the woods?”

 

“I’m here with Tiff actually.” Jessica said. “She just went up to her dorm to change into something else. She had a bad day at the Han River when we were there earlier.”

 

“What happened?” Sooyoung asked. “Did she run into a tree again?”

 

Jessica laughed, “No. Someone dumped water on her on accident and a car splashed her with dirt water. So she kinda needed to change.”

 

Sunny laughed, “Sounds like you two had a very interesting date.”

 

“I had fun though.”

 

— — — — —

 

“Hurry. Hurry!” 

 

“I’m trying my best!” 

 

“Try harder!”

 

“Stop yelling, Kwon Yuri.” Tiffany growled. “You’re not helping me with my nervousness any less.”

 

“Alright.” Yuri patted her friend’s shoulder. “Here’s the flowers. You look really kick . You’re gonna knock her socks right off. Ppany, fighting!”

 

Tiffany looked at herself one last time. “How’s Bunny and Youngie doing?” Tiffany asked as she brushed her teeth.

 

“They’re okay, I guess.” Yuri shrugged. “You already know how those two are. They fight, Bunny leaves, they don’t talk. Then, Youngie gets depressed, goes and talks to her, they talk it out, and Bunny comes back. You really didn’t miss much actually.”

 

Tiffany nodded. “Did you text Youngie and Bunny?”

 

“Doing it right now.” Yuri gave her a thumbs up.

 

— — — — —

 

“Excuse me.” Sooyoung said as she checked her phone.

 

“Who is it?” Sunny asked.

 

“It’s just Yul.” Sooyoung sighed. “She said that Ppany got stuck in the bathtub again.”

 

“I guess we gotta go get her.” Sunny shook her head.

 

“She got stuck in the bathtub?” Jessica gave them a confused look, but didn’t really ask too many questions. She had already gotten used to the fact that Tiffany and her friends were an odd bunch. Situations such as these weren’t uncommon to her anymore.

 

“So you’ve known Ppany for almost a year, huh?” Sunny asked, as they walked up the stairs.

 

Jessica nodded, “It’s weird.”

 

“What’s weird?” Sooyoung asked.

 

“I like a 16 year old.” Jessica said. “It sounds weird when I say it out loud.”

 

“Don’t worry, it’s not uncommon.” Sooyoung laughed.

 

“I know,” Jessica said as she opened the door.

 

Sooyoung, Sunny and Yuri all went inside the bathroom. It was the only room in the dorm big enough to fit the three of them. There was no way in hell they were going to hide in the bedroom, so the next best thing was hiding in the bathroom.

 

They had put confetti in the bathtub ahead of time when Jessica says yes to Tiffany’s questions. They even prepared a dinner for the five of them for later that night.

 

Tiffany’s dorm was dimly lit. There were candles all over the dorm and Tiffany was standing right in the middle holding a bouquet of flowers. She wasn’t in her usual attire. 

 

She looked much more attractive with her black skinny jeans that hugged her legs. The red plaid button up shirt with a black tied and a brown vest gave this boyish look, but it made her look like she meant business. 

 

She smiled, “Hey, Jess.”

 

“Hi, Tiff.” Jessica said slowly as she looked around the dorm. “What’s all this?”

 

“It’s been a ty day, I know.” Tiffany laughed as she walked towards her. “But spending it with you made it one of the most memorable days of my life. So, will you make this one of the best days of my life and say yes to being my girlfriend?” She held out the bouquet of flowers towards Jessica, who stood their speechless.

 

“Yes.” She said quietly.

 

“Yeah?” Tiffany grinned.

 

“Yes!” Jessica jumped into Tiffany’s arms. “A million times yes!”

 

“She said yes!” Tiffany threw Jessica up in the air. 

 

“She said yes!” Sooyoung, Yuri and Sunny jumped out of the bathroom and threw confetti up in the air. “Congratulations!”

 

“Yes.” She said and wrapped her arms around Tiffany’s neck and pulled her close.

 

“You do realize you have to deal with my everyday, right?” Tiffany wrapped her arms around Jessica’s waist.

 

“I do realize that.”

 

“Alright then.” Tiffany leaned in and kissed her girlfriend.