20 Seconds of Bravery

20 Seconds of Bravery

Sunny, Sooyoung, Tiffany, Jessica and Yuri were all lounging around Sooyoung’s dorm. No one had spoken a word after Sooyoung had made it official that she would be leaving by the end of August.

 

“Worse birthday gift ever.” Tiffany sighed.

 

“Happy 17th, Ppany.” Sooyoung gave her a sad smile.

 

 Sunny scoffed and got up. She didn’t forget to slam the door when she walked out the dorm. Tiffany, Yuri and Jessica remained silent.

 

“I’ll go get her.” Sooyoung got two jackets and headed out her dorm.

 

“What’s gonna happen to us after our this summer?” Yuri asked, finally breaking the silence.

 

“I don’t know, Yul.” Tiffany said in a small voice.

 

— — — — —

 

Sooyoung put her jacket on and started walking down the walkway. Sure enough, Sunny was sitting at the bottom of the stairs, shivering.

 

“I knew I’d find you here.” Sooyoung wrapped the extra jacket around Sunny’s shoulders and sat next to her.

 

“I don’t want you go to.” Sunny said quietly.

 

“I know.” Sooyoung wrapped an arm around her and pulled her close. “I don’t want to go either.”

 

“Who’s gonna take care of me when you leave?” Sunny began to cry.

 

“You big baby,” Sooyoung teased and hugged her tighter, “you’ll have Ppany and Yul. They’re gonna take care of you when I go back to Gwangju.”

 

“But I want you taking care of me.” Sunny cried even harder.

 

“I know, Bunny.” Sooyoung cradled Sunny on her lap. “My poor little Bunny. You know that I’ll always come and visit, right?”

 

“But it’s not the same, Soo.” Sunny pulled away. “You know that it’s not the same as not seeing you everyday. Every other week isn’t gonna cut it for me. Call me selfish, but I can’t stand not seeing you everyday. I have to have you here next to me, not on the phone with me.”

 

Sooyoung wiped the tears running down Sunny’s cheeks, “I know, Bunny. I’m sorry things have to be like this. You know that I’d stay if I wanted to, but you know I can’t stay. Without the track and field, my scholarship money isn’t there anymore.”

 

Sunny hugged the taller girl, “I don’t want you to leave.”

 

“Why not?” Sooyoung asked. “You’ve always been hot and cold whenever it came to me.”

 

“I know.”

 

“You act like you like me one minute, the next, you treat me like I’m the scum of the earth. Why is that, Sunny?”

 

“I’m scared.”

 

“Of what?”

 

“That once we are official, you won’t wanna be with me anymore.”

 

“What?” Sooyoung looked confused. “That’s one of the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard you say.”

 

“Some people act like this, but once they get in a relationship, they realize that they just liked the chase, not the commitment.” Sunny clarified. “Does that make sense?”

 

“Yeah, but why did you think that that theory applied to me?”

 

“I don’t really know.” She said in a small voice. “I’ve always been afraid of commitment. I don’t like thinking about things in the long run.”

 

“Do you see me being in your life junior year?” Sooyoung asked. Sunny nodded. “What about senior year?” Sunny nodded again. “Do you want to be my girlfriend?” She nodded. “Then what’s stopping you from being with me?” She stayed quiet. “Tell me, Lee Sunkyu!”

 

“You might leave!” Sunny pushed Sooyoung away from her and got out of her embrace. “You might leave, just like everyone else.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Sooyoung got up and took a step towards Sunny.

 

“You’re going to leave me.” Sunny repeated. “You’re going to leave, just like Umma, Appa, Eunkyu and Jin Kyu.”

 

“Do you really think that I’m going to leave you like the rest of them?” Sooyoung spun Sunny around to face her, “I like you, okay? That’s never going to change. No matter where I’m going, I’m always going to like you.”

 

“How am I suppose to believe that?” Sunny stood there, wiping the tears that didn’t seem to want to stop flowing.

 

Sooyoung looked at the crying girl standing in front of her.

 

Her heart ached from seeing her cry. 

 

When Sunny was just a kid, her family had given her to her uncle, Lee Man Soo. They were a poor family and her parents couldn’t afford to have another child under their care. When Sunny was in elementary school, her uncle had finally gotten a hold of her parents, but her parents didn’t show signs of wanting the little girl back in their lives. Sunny’s two older sister, Eukyu and Jin Kyu had managed to get a hold of Sunny a few years later when she was in middle school. She had invited  them to her uncle’s house to have dinner and spend the night. That same night, Sunny figured out that they only wanted to meet her because they needed money. The money she had locked away in the top drawer of her closet went missing, along with some of her clothes, shoes, and jewelry. She had been bitter towards her family ever since that day.

 

Sooyoung eyed the girl in front of her, not knowing what to do, she hugged her from the back. The bottom of her chin resting on the short one’s head, “I hope you realize that I am not Eukyu or Jin Kyu and I’m definitely not your Umma or Appa either. I’m your best friend, Choi Sooyoung. The girl who’s been head over heels for you ever since we were in elementary school. The same girl who kept coming back even though you’ve hurt me so many times in the past. The same person who will always have a very special place for you in her heart. The same girl who will always take care of you no matter what happens. The same one who doesn’t plan on letting someone like you out of her life. Even if we’re just friends, girlfriends or just two people who just know each other, as long as I know that you’re in my life, I don’t mind it at all.”

 

Sunny sniffled, “I wanna be with you, but it’s gonna be so hard when you’re so far away.”

 

“I’m only gonna be one train ride away.” Sooyoung gave her a sad smile. “I know that it’s a little far away, but at least we’ll be able to visit each other a couple times a month. Moving away for me isn’t really a permanent decision right now, but it’s one of the options. I don’t know what I’m going to do yet, but you best believe that I’m trying my best to stay here. Ppany, Yul and Unnie are all here and you’re also here. So I have to stay no matter what. What do you say?”

 

“I don’t know, Youngie.” Sunny said slowly. “Shouldn’t we wait until we’re a little older to make decisions like these? I mean, you’re only staying here because of me and that shouldn’t be the reason why you’re staying. I don’t want to hold you back from what you really want in life. Maybe going back home will be good for you. You never really liked the fast pace life Seoul had anyway.”

 

“But leaving Seoul would mean leaving you.”

 

“Exactly,” Sunny said. “Maybe leaving would be a good idea. It’ll give us a break from each other and then we can see where to go from there.” She sighed. “I don’t really know actually. This is all new to me and I don’t know what to do.”

 

“You’re my future though.”

 

“You can’t think like that.” Sunny scolded. “You should think of yourself before anyone else first. I can’t always be your number one priority. You have your Umma to think about too. She hasn’t seen you in a really long time and she wants you to come home. Don’t you miss your Umma too?”

 

“I do,” Sooyoung sat back down at the bottom of the stairs,“but at the same time, I’m gonna miss you guys too. You’ve always been my best friends and I don’t want that to change.”

 

“Just because you move doesn’t mean that we still be best friends. We’ll still be best friends, the only difference is that you’re just a little further away from us.”

 

“Do you think that me moving away would be the best?” Sooyoung asked.

 

“If you think it’s the best, then I think it is the best.” Sunny said. “I will support you every single decision you make.”

 

“Hey guys?” Yuri said quietly. Sooyoung and Sunny stopped talking and looked in Yuri’s direction. “Unnie is starting to get hungry. Did you guys wanna order something too?”

 

Sooyoung looked at Sunny, “I could use some chicken.”

 

Sunny shrugged, “Me too.”

 

— — — — —

 

“I’m telling you,” Tiffany said, “all you have to do is puff your cheeks out and then swallow. That’s how you do circular breathing.”

 

“Then how come Kenny G can do it without puffing his cheeks?” Jessica crossed her arms and looked at Tiffany.

 

Tiffany narrowed her eyes at her girlfriend. A few seconds after thinking, she snapped her fingers and grinned. “He’s a professional.”

 

“Ugh.” Jessica said in exasperation. “You’re impossible.”

 

Tiffany smiled and kissed her cheek, “You know you like being with me.”

 

Jessica’s frowned was now upside down, “Yeah, I do.”

 

“What do guys want for dinner?” Yuri asked, closing the dorm door after Sooyoung and Sunny went inside. “These two want chicken.”

 

“I don’t really care what we eat, just as long Jessie isn’t hungry anymore.” Tiffany stretched and placed an arm around Jessica’s shoulders.

 

Jessica leaned back, so her back was on Tiffany’s front, “You’re so thoughtful.”

 

“Ew,” Yuri purposely stepped in between the couple and walked to the kitchen.

 

Sunny gave her a weird look, “What’s her deal?”

 

Sooyoung shrugged and wrapped an arm around Sunny’s shoulders, “Beats me.”

 

“Are you guys okay again?” Yuri asked, sitting back on the table. She placed  her glass of water in front of her.

 

“Are we okay now, Bunny?” Sooyoung looked at Sunny.

 

Sunny rested her head on Sooyoung’s shoulder and smiled, “We’re more than okay now.”

 

“Are you two official now?” Tiffany asked.

 

Sunny and Sooyoung shook her head. “We’re waiting to see how things are gonna go in the future.” 

 

“Really?” Yuri asked in surprise. “Since when was this decided?”

 

“Earlier when we were downstairs.” Sooyoung said, “We talked it out and both agreed to see. We still don’t know if Youngie is moving back home yet, so for now we’re just gonna play it by ear.”

 

Yuri nodded, “Yep. We’ve always known that you two are the type of friends who have always been more than friends.”

 

Sooyoung smiled, “I guess you’re right.”

 

There was a knock on the door.

 

“I’ll get it.” Tiffany stood up and walked over.

 

“Delivery for Kwon Yuri?” A guy stood at the door and held up a couple boxes of chicken.

 

“Right here.” Tiffany smiled and handed him a few bills. “Keep the change.”

 

“Thank you.” He bowed and left.

 

Once the food was set up on the table, everyone ate in silence. It was very unusual for the group, especially Sooyoung, Yuri and Tiffany to eat in silence. Jessica and Sunny seemed to have noticed their friends weird behaviors. Tiffany looked up from her rice and smiled at Jessica who returned the gesture and rested her head on her girlfriend’s shoulder. Sooyoung and Yuri looked at the new couple and shrugged. Sunny looked at Sooyoung and just kept on eating the food that was on her plate.

 

When they were all done, Yuri collected all the plates and began washing the dishes in the sink.

 

“You alright?” Sunny walked over to the kitchen and sat on the nearest chair.

 

“Yeah,” Yuri shrugged. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

 

“You’ve been distant,” Sunny rested her chin on the back on the chair. “What’s going on?”

 

“Nothing,” Yuri scrubbed the dishes.

 

“Really?” Sunny raised an eyebrow,” Do you have something against the dishes?”

 

Yuri sighed and took her gloves off, “It’s just that you guys are all in relationships.”

 

“Youngie and I aren’t in a relationship.” 

 

“But you will be.”

 

“Fair enough.”

 

“It’s just lonely seeing you all happy with someone.” Yuri went back to washing the dishes.

 

“Have you thought about being in a relationship?”

 

She shook her head, “My future plans can’t have me being in a relationship. You already know that. Even if I want to be in a relationship, I can’t. If I wanna be successful, I can’t have a girlfriend distracting me.”

 

Sunny smiled, “Watch. When you least expect it, a girl is going to swoop in your life and she’s gonna punch you right in the gut and knock the wind out of you.”

 

“What makes you so sure?” Yuri raised an eyebrow.

 

“You aren’t ugly and you aren’t stupid either. Youngie just happens to be both of those but for some reason, I still like her.” Sunny stood up and patted Yuri’s shoulder. “One of these days, you’ll understand what I mean.”

 

In the living room, Tiffany and Jessica were sitting around the table. Tiffany was doing homework and Jessica was just leaning her back on the younger one’s side. Sooyoung was sitting on the floor and with her legs in front of her. She wasn’t really doing much, but it looked like she was in some sort of deep thought. Sunny smiled and sat next to Sooyoung. 

 

The girl washing the dishes in the kitchen looked at the sight in front of her. She wasn’t really sure if she was jealous or if she was lonely, but she felt some sort of emotion. Being a teenager, she didn’t really understand what she wanted in life herself. Did she want a girlfriend that badly or was she just lonely? Even though she’s been on dates before in the past, it still never really felt as if she ever found the right person for her. They were either boring or straight. There was no in between, literally. 

 

When she was done washing and putting the dishes away, she walked over to the living room to join her other friends.

 

“Did you have fun washing the dishes?” Tiffany asked, looking up from her homework.

 

Yuri laughed and started getting her homework ready. “I just love washing dishes,” She said sarcastically. “It’s a secret passion of mine.”

 

Jessica suddenly stretched from Tiffany’s side, “What are you two rambling about now?” She let out a yawn.

 

Tiffany smiled and kissed her cheek, “Nothing, go back to sleep. I’ll wake you up when everyone is heading out of the dorm.”

 

“But I’m not sleepy.” Jessica yawned again.

 

“Tell that to someone who’ll believe you.” Tiffany wrapped an arm around her. “Now back to sleep. I know you need it.”

 

Jessica nodded and drifted back into her dreamland, “You always take care of me.”

 

Yuri chuckled. “What?” Tiffany looked up from her notebook.

 

“Nothing.” Yuri shrugged, “I just never knew that you were the romantic type.”

 

“Of course I am,” Tiffany smiled. “I can’t wait for me to get older and actually get a job and start a career.”

 

Yuri raised an eyebrow, “Why?”

 

Tiffany brushed a strand of hair out of Jessica’s sleeping face. She looked at her friend sitting across from her and smiled, “I wanna be someone she can be proud of. I want people asking her where her husband is, but then she’ll say, ‘I don’t have a husband. My wife is actually coming back from her company because she’s a CEO and she owns that thing too.’ Then, people will laugh at her, but she’ll laugh along with them because she knows that she’s jealous of the life she has with me. I want people to look at us and get jealous because we’re both very successful people, we have a life together and we just fit, like two puzzle pieces. I wanna be someone she can depend on, someone she’ll want to come home to after a long day at work and someone she’ll want to fall asleep with every night. I just wanna be that person for her.”

 

Yuri smiled, “Sounds like you’re in too deep with this one.”

 

“I’m falling, but I hope she’ll catch me.”

 

“I think she will.”

 

“What are you two talking about?” Sooyoung suddenly appeared and sat at the edge of the table. “Sounds like Ppany is in love.”

 

Sunny smacked Sooyoung’s shoulder, “Don’t make fun of her. Let her feel whatever she wants to feel. Besides, you’re in no position to say anything like that.”

 

Sooyoung laughed, “I know, but it’s very rare to see Ppany be affectionate, especially, if it’s with another human being.”

 

“Just leave her alone.” Sunny shook her head and sat next to Sooyoung. “Can I have some water please?”

 

“Of course,” Sooyoung immediately stood up and went to the kitchen.

 

Tiffany and Yuri looked at Sunny with a smile. “What?”

 

“Looks like love is in the air.” Yuri commented.

 

Sunny rolled her eyes, “Love has always been in the air with me and Soo.”

 

“Can’t argue with that.” Tiffany laughed.

 

“I can toast to that.” Yuri raised her glass of water and took a giant gulp.

 

“Agreed.” Tiffany lifted the pencil she was holding and hit Yuri’s glass.

 

“What are you three talking about now?” Sooyoung asked. She handed Sunny her drink and sat back down next to her.

 

“Something’s just in the air,” Sunny smiled and leaned her head against Sooyoung’s shoulder.

 

As if by some miracle, all their problems disappeared that night. It was just five friends hanging around a table, talking and laughing. All their troubles seemed to have been forgotten as they sat their and enjoyed each other’s company.