20 Seconds of Bravery

20 Seconds of Bravery

The next morning, Yuri, Sooyoung and Tiffany all woke up with the scent of pancakes being made somewhere in the dorm room. Since Yuri had recently sprained her shoulder, she was able to get the bed while the other three girls slept on Sooyong's floor with blankets and pillows that they had taken from Tiffany's dorm right across the street. With Sooyoung having the longest legs, she had to sleep underneath the table with her torso under the table as her legs and upper body stuck out from the table. Next to her was Jessica because Tiffany was known for moving a lot in her sleep and she didn't want anyone to get kicked at some point in the night. With Jessica being the oldest, she had felt responsible for cooking the three high school students breakfast before she headed off to school and work afterwards.

"Rise and shine, sleepy heads." Jessica greeted with a bright smile.

"Dammit." Tiffany covered her face with her pillow and rolled to her side. "5 more minutes, Unnie. I'm still trying to sleep."

Yuri smacked her lips and slowly sat up from the bed, "My shoulder feels like it's burning."

"Pain meds are in the cupboard." Sooyoung yawned. "Help yourself with 2. I'm not gonna have you OD in my dorm."

Yuri slowly nodded and made her way to the kitchen. She scratched her and loudly yawned,  "Your bed is really comfy, Young."

"I would hope so." Sooyoung stretched under the table, "It's a memory foam Unnie gave me because I had back problems when I was shorter."

"That's because you grew too fast." Tiffany rubbed her eyes and stretched on the floor. "You have the stretch marks to prove it too."

Sooyoung threw a pillow at her face, causing Tiffany to fall back and hit her head on the pillow she had originally slept with the night before. "Yah. You know how those bother me."

"Aish." Tiffany stood up and tackled Sooyoung back on the floor.

"Yah." Yuri scolded. "Bunny is still mad at us, so we have to be on our best behavior for the next month or so. I don't wanna it up."

Tiffany nodded, "Yes. I don't want her to be mad longer than she needs to be. The last thing we need is an angry Bunny."

Sooyoung sulked, "I don't want her to hate me."

"Aigoo." Yuri smacked the back of her head. "Don't worry your pretty little stretch marks about that. The love of your life will come around, but for the time being, let's have some of Unnie's delicious pancakes."

"Call!" Tiffany sat up and waited for Jessica to place the pancakes on the table for all of them.

"Do we just grab them?" Yuri asked. "I've never really eaten pancakes before."

"That's because it's American." Tiffany said, going to the fridge and grabbing butter and syrup. "Since Youngie doesn't really have any plates, we'll just all share this one and stuff."

"I'll cut them into pieces for you guys." Jessica offered.

"Wah!" Sooyoug grinned. "She's even more motherly than Sunny! Unnie!" She gave her a thumbs up, "Daebak!"

Tiffany took the first bite and stopped.

"Well?" Jessica smiled, giving her hopeful eyes. "How is it?"

The younger girl swallowed hard, "Well..." She gave her a forced smile, "I can honestly say that it's nothing like I've ever tasted in my entire life."

"Me next!" Yuri grinned and waited for Jessica to feed her.

"Well?"

Yuri chuckled and wiped with the napkin, secretly spitting it out, "You cook a lot better than Ppany, I'll give you that."

Sooyoung gave Yuri a weird look, "But Ppany--"

"Is awesome at cooking!" Yuri interrupted before Sooyoung could hurt Jessica's feelings.

Sooyoung finally caught on the lie that was currently unfolding in front of her and suddenly had mixed feelings whether or not she should actually take a bite or not. On the one hand, her new Unnie did work very hard to prepare them this American-style breakfast that doesn't happen to them very often but her friends seem to not like the cooking very much. Then again, it would be very rude of her to not take a bite, but at the same time, she could see Yuri and Tiffany giving her the "don't do it unless you have a death wish" look.

"Youngie!" Sooyoung's eyes automatically met Tiffany's. "This is too good and it's been a while since I've actually had pancakes, is it cool if I just eat them all?"

Yuri and Sooyoung gave her a suprised look, "Really?"

Tiffany's eyes started to water as her smile got bigger, "Really. You two know how much I love pancakes and I haven't eaten them in a while."

'Oh ,' Yuri thought. 'She's taking one for the team.'

"Ppanyyah," Sooyoung gave her a look of encouragement, "Fighting!"

'You will be remembered as the brave one.' Sooyoung thought. 

"Fighting..." Tiffany took a chunk of pancake and doused it in syrup and butter.

"You like my cooking that much?" Jessica smiled.

"Of course, Unnie." Tiffany gulped. "Why wouldn't I?"

"Yay!" Jessica clapped her hands with excitement. "I'm gonna make this for you every single day then."

"NO!" Yuri suddenly jumped. "I mean..." She suddenly realized her irrational actions, "No, because....because..." She looked over at Sooyoung and Tiffany for help.

Tiffany swallowed, "Because we'd get tired of it and it won't be as good anymore. Right, guys?"

"Yeah." Yuri grinned. "We'd grow tired of it and eventually not like it anymore."

"Well, we have to get ready for school." Sooyoung suddenly stood up and brushed the pancake crumbs off her lap.

"So early?" Jessica gave them a confused look.

Sooyoung nodded, "We usually walk and Sunny either meets us here or at the convenience store halfway from the school. From there, we buy snacks, drinks and sometimes lunch and then head to school. But since you made us this delicious breakfast, we won't have to stop by and buy breakfast today. So we thank you for that."

Tiffany and Yuri bowed with Sooyoung, "Thank you for breakfast."

"I never thought that you guys would be in high school." Jessica said. "When I first saw you four, I thought you were in Soshi University, not Soshi Academy."

"We said we were from Soshi though." Sooyoung looked confused.

"I know, but I also said I was from Soshi, but neither of us specified whether is was the academy or the university which is why I was sort of blindsided when I saw you guys in the Chemistry club room in your high school uniforms."

"She does have a point." Tiffany nodded. "But then again, you did just walk up to us and asked to join our study group."

"All because of my 20 seconds of bravery." Jessica smiled proudly.

"20 seconds of bravery?" Sooyoung asked.

She nodded, "I don't normally talk to people at all mostly because I don't like having to introduce myself and all that, so I use that method. I muster up 20 seconds worth of bravery and see what happens. My mom has been trying to force me to make friends with people my age, but I thought you guys were my age because of the books and thought that you guys were in a higher math level than me because Yuri and Sunny had college edition textbooks."

Yuri nodded, "I can see that though. Sunny and I had our calculus textbooks and she had her fundamental robotics books that day too."

Tiffany clapped her hands once, "Plus Narsha Unnie introduced her as her Unnie too, so I kind of just assumed that you were a few months older, but then she mentioned undergrad and that sort of didn't add up to me."

Sooyoung nodded, "Yeah, but we have to get going or else we're gonna miss Bunny and then she's gonna leave us and get even more mad at us for ditching her." She started pushing her two friends out the door. "Unnie, it was really fun, but I don't want Bunny mad at us more than she already is."

Jessica nodded in acknowledgement, "I understand. I hope to see you guys soon, though."

"We're almost always in Youngie or Ppany's dorm, so feel free to stop by." Yuri offered. "If not, call one of us and we'll tell you where we are."

"Sounds like a plan." Jessica pulled out her phone and handed it over to Tiffany.

"I'll give you all our numbers then." Tiffany smiled and started punching them in. "Here you go, you're all set."

-----

Sunny had decided not to go to their usual convenient store and just headed straight to the school. She purposely woke up late and took the bus to school in order to avoid her three friends. As guilty as she felt for leaving without much notice, she was still too angry to see them in person. A few days away from them would probably do her some good. Maybe a break from each other is what the four friends might need from each other since they spend almost every waking day together. It was probably unhealthy. 

She got off the bus and started walking to her classroom. Fortunately for her, Sooyoung, Yuri and Tiffany weren't in the same home room as her, so the chances of the three of them seeing her was very slim.

-----

"She isn't in here." Sooyoung looked around the store in disappointment as Tiffany and Yuri were hungrily stuffing their faces with ramen and egg.

"What'd you expect?" Yuri asked, slurping her ramen. "She's clearly mad at us, did you really expect her to show up?"

"She usually shows up." Sooyoung looked at her untouched ramen. "She always shows up."

"I guess she's that mad at us." Tiffany took a sip of her water. "Ohh, cold water always feels so good after eating hot ramen."

"This is serious guys." Sooyoung slammed her fists on the table. 

"Yah, yah." Yuri flicked Sooyoung's forehead with her good hand, "Don't spill our ramen with your giant hands. Some of us are actually trying to eat here."

"Besides," Tiffany reasoned, "I'm sure that she won't avoid us all day. She's gonna want some lunch and eventually come crawling back to us around lunch and then we act like nothing ever happened and we go back to the way we were." She shrugged. 

"You make it sound that easy." Sooyoung blew on her ramen and started to eat it.

"It is that easy with Bunny." Yuri nodded in agreement.

"I have a feeling that this isn't one of those times." Sooyoung gulped some of her ice cold water.

"What makes you say that?" Tiffany asked, wiping her bottom lip with the back of her hand.

"This just feels wrong." Sooyoung waved her hands in front of her. "Something just feels off today. Don't you guys feel it or is it just me?"

"Off how?" Yuri asked, looking around the store for some snacks.

"Like Bunny won't even talk to us today." Sooyoung shrugged. "Don't you guys feel it?"

"Is this Lover's Intuition?" Tiffany laughed as she started taking a couple bags of chips and a couple of drinks. "It's Yuri's turn to pay today."

"I think it is Lover's Intuition." Yuri laughed as she pulled out her wallet from her blazer pocket. "Just calm yourself. I'm sure that she's gonna meet us to go study later today at the Coffee Hut as always. She never misses a study session."

"I hope you're right." Sooyoung said, placing her bags of chips and drinks on the counter. "I really can't shake this weird feeling. I've had it ever since I woke up this morning."

"Is that why you were acting weird around Unnie?" Tiffany asked.

"You mean, your future lover?" Yuri playfully nudged Tiffany.

"Knock it off." Tiffany looked away, blushing. "We're just friends who help each other with homework. That's all we are."

"So is Narsha Unnie to me." Yuri laughed as she paid for their food.

"You can actually feel the between you two." Sooyoung laughed as she picked up the bags of food and drinks. "Don't even try to lie your way out of this one because we saw how you looked at her in the Chemistry club room."

"And I saw how you practically ran for your life when I hurt my shoulder." Yuri made kissing noises. "The heartless Choi Sooyoung does care."

"I'd push you if you didn't have the splint." Sooyoung glared. "I only care about Bunny talking to us again. That's really all."

"Ouch, that's kinda hurtful." Tiffany patter her heart. "That cut deep."

"So deep!" Yuri made stabbing motions towards her heart. "Deeper than the ocean."

"Aish!" Sooyoung ruffled her hair every which way. "Stop being s and just walk to school."

-----

The three friends made their way to the second floor carrying their bags of snacks and drinks. Sunny looked up from her textbook and saw her three friends chatting amongst themselves. At first, they looked happy, then they were deep in thought. Then, Yuri had said something that caused the other two to smile, nod and walk away.

"Who's locker are we gonna keep it in?" Sooyoung asked, holding up the plastic bags.

"My locker still has all our winter jackets, so there really isn't much room in there." Yuri shrugged. "What about you, Ppany?"

"Mine still has our extra uniforms in case an accident happens." Tiffany said. "There's room, but I doubt it's gonna fit all the drinks. Youngie?"

"Mine has all our textbooks." Sooyoung sighed. "This is a lot harder to do without Bunny."

"How about this?" Yuri smiled. "We put the chips in Ppany's locker and the drinks in mine. Since the chips are in bags, it won't ruin our clean uniforms and since our winter jackets are suppose to be water resistant, we can put the cold drinks in there and since our jackets are usually cold, it'll keep the drinks cold a little bit longer."

"Yul, you're a genius!" Sooyoung patted her back.

Sunny sighed and continued doing her schoolwork.