So Close, Yet So Far

After all this time, it's still you

You woke up the following morning feeling too exhausted to even leave your bed, so you decided to spend the rest of the day in your room. The maids brought you food to your room and Nana made sure you took your medicine on time. The day went by very slowly. You spent your time reading and occasionally dozing off when you felt sleep creeping into your eyes. Taekwoon occupied your thoughts and your dreams. He seemed worried when he fed you last night and gave you the medicine. Seeing you in this state concerned him, maybe even more than it concerned your family. They all were sleeping while he stayed awake until past midnight to feed you and make sure you took your pill. The pill reminded you of the feeling of his thumb brushing lightly against your lip. Your cheeks would immediately heat up at the memory. His extensive care warmed up your heart and drew a smile on your tired face.

Taekwoon, on the other hand, spent his day going back and forth between the kitchen and his room. He tried to finish as much as he could from his college work when he wasn't needed in the kitchen or around the house. He'd only linger around when he heard the maids talking about you since he couldn't go to your room himself, she looks better today, Madam said we need to make her something warm to eat, it's time for her pill. He'd smile to himself and then go back to finish whatever he was working on without his thoughts of you ever ceasing. You occupied his thoughts more than you could ever imagine. Everything he did was driven by a hidden force derived from you. He studied hard because he wanted you to be proud of him, he worked hard because he wanted to be worthy of you, he did it all because he wanted you to love him back, and for that he was willing to do everything.

He went to bed after he finished preparing for college. He set his alarm at 1:30 a.m., not wanting to miss your medicine. His dreams were all related to you. He saw himself holding you in his arms, staring into your eyes and whispering words of love to his heart's content, words he kept buried inside him for so long.

He woke up a few minutes before the alarm. He blinked a couple of times, as if adjusting the reality contradicting his dreams. Letting out a sigh, he sat up in bed, grabbed his phone and turned the alarm off before getting off bed. He washed his face and then went inside the kitchen to make you something to eat.

 

You were still in your bed, tossing and turning, unable to sleep since you spent the day dozing off and napping whenever you felt too tired to stay awake. Looking at the clock hanging on the wall, you noticed that it was almost time for your medicine. You sat up in bed wondering if Taekwoon will come to your room like he did last night. You appreciated his efforts to look after you and take care of you even though you didn't blame him for getting sick. After all, you were the one to take him out of the house in this cold weather.

You got off bed and took a look at yourself in the mirror. All you saw was a disheveled hair and an exhausted face. A blush tinted your cheeks when you caught yourself fixing your hair not wanting him to see you in this state.

A few minutes passed and Taekwoon wasn't there yet. You looked at the clock again and you saw the minute hand pointing at 1:45. Thinking that Taekwoon must be asleep, you decided to go to the kitchen yourself. You walked towards the door and opened it to find him walking in your direction. He smiled when he saw you standing in front of him and you smiled back as you let him inside your room before closing the door. He placed the tray on the coffee table and then said:

- Sorry, I'm late.

- It's okay.

You looked intently at the tray and the sandwiches he brought before saying:

- Did you make these?

His cheeks turned red as he scratched the back of his head in embarrassment before answering:

- I... I thought you might be hungry and... You have to eat something before taking the pill.

You sat down on the edge of your bed and he sat on the chair next to the coffee table. You pushed a lock of hair behind your ear as you said:

- I am a bit hungry. Thank you.

You reached for the sandwich and took a bite as his eyes followed you. He had a warm smile on his face as he watched you munch your sandwich in silence. When you figured that it was unlike the usual sandwiches you had before, you looked up at him:

- Is this the same thing you made me the other day? Cheese and honey?

- Yes.

- Why do I even like this strange combination?

- Is it bad?

He asked in concern. You shook your head 'no' as you said:

- No no, I like it. I just find it weird that I used to like this.

You paused for a second and then added:

- I gave my dad a hard time after we moved.

He looked at you, urging you to keep talking. Your voice created a pleasant sensation in his ears and a throbbing in his heart. You met his gaze and then added:

- I was a picky eater. I barely ate anything. I hated vegetables and seafood. I couldn't eat meat, and I ate only fries and fried chicken most of the time.

He listened attentively with a smile on his face before asking:

- What about now?

- Now I eat almost everything.

He giggled and your heart skipped a beat. The sound of his giggle was as soft as the look in his eyes as he stared at you. Warmth, longing, and love were things you found only in his eyes, hidden behind a beautiful sparkle that glistened to every word you said.

When you were done eating, he looked at his watch and then reached for the medicine on the tray.

- It's time for your medicine.

He took the pill out of the container and you instantly parted your lips. He put the pill in your mouth, letting his thumb brush your lower lip lightly before pulling away. A shiver went through your body and a blush crept into your cheeks at the sudden contact. He averted his eyes away from you before standing up and putting everything on the tray.

- Do... do you want anything else?

- No... Thank you.

He gave you a tiny nod before leaving your room and closing the door. As soon as he left, you found yourself tracing where his thumb had touched your lips, pondering on whether he did it on purpose or by mistake. Even though it was a bit awkward being touched like this, you had to admit that it didn't make you uncomfortable, just slightly shy. This feeling left you puzzled. Did you actually like it? You couldn't say yes, but you couldn't say no either. There was something about it that it didn't bother you but you couldn't bring yourself to saying you actually liked it. You suddenly remembered his little giggle earlier and you smiled to yourself as you hugged your pillow tightly and lay on your bed with a grin on your face.

 

 

You woke up the next morning feeling a lot better. You got out of bed and took a quick shower before going downstairs and joining your family over breakfast. Nana's face lit up when she saw you walking up to where she was sitting. You took your seat next to Hakyeon and he smiled at you and gave you a light pat on the back. You looked around to see Taekwoon looking at you from a distance, a faint smile touching the corners of his lips when your eyes met. His smile unleashed a mysterious tingling in your tummy and you felt heat spread across your face. You turned away, afraid you'd get caught exchanging unexplained stares with him and ate your breakfast in silence.

 

After breakfast, you grabbed a book from Nana's study and sat in the living room. While reading you saw Eunji walking to where you were sitting. You put your book down when she sat down next to you. She smiled and placed her hand on your shoulder as she asked:

- Do you feel better today?

- Yes. Thank you for asking!

- We were so worried about you.

- It was just a cold. I feel a lot better now. Thanks to Taekwoon, you thought to yourself.

- That's good.

She paused for a second and then said:

- I just wanted to tell you that we're having our wedding here.

- Really? That'd be great!

You said excitedly and her smile grew bigger.

- I know! Nana suggested it and Jaehwan said he's okay with it as long as it makes me happy.

- Did you pick a day?

- Yes. We have a month and a half to prepare for it. I want to have my wedding before... before my baby bump is visible.

She said and you saw a tiny blush spreading across her rosy cheeks. You placed your hand on her knee and gave it a light squeeze as you said:

- I'm sure it will all go perfectly fine.

- Thank you.

She took a few seconds to form her following sentence:

- But... I need your help with something.

- Sure! How can I help you?

- Um... I don't want to get my wedding dress from here so... I was wondering if you came across any bridal boutiques while abroad.

You remembered passing by a couple and being astonished at how beautiful the wedding dresses were. Then you remembered attending a friend's wedding a year or so ago:

- I have a friend who got married last year. I'll talk to her and ask her to send me her wedding pictures. Her dress was very astonishing and I'm sure you'll like it! If you do, then we can contact the boutique she got it from and take a look at their other designs.

- Are you serious?

- Yes.

She hugged you tightly and then said:

- You're the best.

You patted her back and smiled at her compliment before saying:

- I'll talk to her now and let you know if I get anything.

- Thank you so much!

 

 

She left so you picked up the book before noticing a shadow hovering over you. You thought she wanted to ask you about something else. You looked up and to your surprise you found Taekwoon standing next to your chair, holding a tray with a glass of water and your medicine on it.

- It's time for your pill.

He said and you smiled at him.

- Thank you.

You said in a whisper. You struggled to hide the blush creeping into your cheeks as you took the container and then took a pill out of it. He took a closer step and cleared his throat before saying in a soft voice:

- Do you feel better today?

You gave him a tiny nod before taking the glass of water from him and swallowing your pill. He took the empty glass and placed it on the tray before asking:

- Do you want me to get you something to eat?

- No, thank you.

He gave you another warm smile and then turned around and walked towards the kitchen. Your eyes followed him until he disappeared inside it as you placed your hand on your chest. Your heart was beating faster than usual and you smiled to yourself at the effect he leaves on you.

Hakyeon interrupted your thoughts when he sat next to you and nudged your shoulder lightly.

- What are you looking at?

You were still looking in the direction of the kitchen so you turned and looked at him as you answered:

- Nothing.

- Do you feel better today?

- Yes. I think I answered this question 5 times already.

He giggled and then said:

- We freaked out when Taekwoon ran into the house carrying you in his arms.

You tilted your head as you looked at him, perplexed by what he said.

- When... when did he carry me?

- When you fainted. How did you get to your room then? He picked you up and you fell down and carried you to your room. Don't you remember?

You frowned as you tried recalling any of what he said. You could only remember feeling dizzy and then you woke up in your room.

- I don't remember any of this. I just remember waking up on my bed.

- You were very sick that morning. I think that's why you fainted. Nana called the doctor immediately and he said you had fever.

- It's really weird that I can't remember.

He hesitated for a second and then asked:

- So... you don't remember... saying anything?

You frowned again.

- Did I say something?

He looked away as he said:

- Never mind.

You punched his side lightly. You knew he was hiding something.

- Tell me.

- It was nothing.

- Tell me then.

You said in a demanding tone. He sighed before saying:

- You called Taekwoon 'Woonie,' just like you did when we were kids.

Your heart skipped a beat. You raised an eyebrow at Hakyeon, suspecting that he was lying. When he didn't laugh or even smile, you asked:

- What is this supposed to mean?

He shrugged his shoulders and said:

- I don't know. Maybe you were raving; maybe it was your fever. I have no idea what happened but you suddenly acted like you were your 10 years old self, calling for him to come rescue you.

- Rescue me?

Things were getting weirder, you thought to yourself as he said:

- Yes. I told you about our little game. You were the princess, he was the prince and I was the villain. I'd hide you somewhere and he'd look for you and rescue you from me.

- This is very strange. Why would I suddenly remember that?

He didn't give you an answer. You were both silent for a couple of seconds until you lifted your head up and asked him:

- Did he hear me say it?

He thought for a second and then nodded and you hid your face in your hands in embarrassment. He laughed at you as he patted your back.

- It's not like you actually remembered him.

You froze for a second and then looked at him.

- Does fever have anything to do with memories?

He shrugged his shoulders again:

- How am I supposed to know? Ask Google.

He looked at his watch and then excused himself, leaving you there drowning in tons of thoughts, all related to Taekwoon. Why didn't he mention it? You thought to yourself as you picked your book up again. Your eyes went over the lines but your head wasn't registering any of it. You were wondering whether Taekwoon believed that you remembered him or not. You didn't want him to have any false assumptions about you remembering your feelings for him or the childhood you had together. You didn't want to give him any false hopes. He was too kind to you to be hurt like that. You decided to talk to him when he comes to your room tonight. You spent the rest of the day rehearsing your lines and thinking of the best way to tell him that you might never remember anything related to him.

 

 

At exactly 1:45 a.m., he was standing in front of your room with a tray in his hand. You were waiting for him in front of the door. You both smiled when your gazes met. You let him in and closed the door before sitting on the edge of your bed. He placed the tray on the coffee table and then handed you the napkin and waited until you placed it under your chin before asking:

- Do you like spaghetti?

You stared at the plate in front of you before saying:

- Yes, a lot! Did you make it?

He scratched the back of his head in embarrassment and then answered:

- No no. Mrs. Han did.

- It smells very good.

He smiled and then looked at his watch before standing up. You looked up at him as he said:

- I have to go now. I need to go to college early tomorrow.

You felt a bit disappointed to see him leave so early.

- I'm sorry you had to stay up this late.

- It's okay. Do you need anything else before I go?

You swallowed hard before deciding to ask him the question that has been bugging you all day long.

- Um... the other day... when you carried me to my room... did... well first thank you very much... but... um... did I say anything?

He fiddled with his fingers as he said:

- Don't thank me. It's my fault taking you to the garden in this cold weather. But... I am... not sure I remember.

- Hakyeon said... I called you... Woonie?

His eyes sparkled as he stuttered:

- I... Well... Um... yes... you did.

Your heart skipped a beat as you asked:

- Is it the... pet name I... used for you?

- Yes.

You could tell it stirred something in him and you felt bad for having to turn him down. You wanted him to know that you weren't remembering things and that it happened when you were unconscious. You hated disappointing him like that but you felt like you had to do it. It would feel worse to give him fake hopes.

- I don't know why I said it... Hakyeon said it's probably my fever because... I can't remember any of this... I mean... I didn't really remember anything, I... was probably just... raving.

The sparkle in his eyes died down as he smiled bitterly and said:

- I know. People mumble things when they have fever, things they don't mean.

A slight pain pierced your heart at the disappointment in his voice. You let out a sigh and then said:

- I... really wish I could really... remember something but...

He stared at you dotingly, making you feel even guiltier:

- I told you not to worry about it. It doesn't matter.

You felt like you could see through him. That fake smile he had on his face was hiding so much pain. You wished you could do anything to ease his pain and rid him of this sadness filling his eyes.

- But... if you still like me... wouldn't you want me to... remember my feelings for you?

- I... I want you to remember but there is nothing I can do about it.

You stared at him as he avoided eye contact with you. So much pain. Suddenly, an idea popped in your head and you found yourself asking him:

- What was the last thing we did together? Did we play a certain game? Did we eat some kind of food? Can you remember?

You were trying to find a way to trigger the memories in your head. People say a certain kind of food or perfume could wake up memories you thought you forgot, memories that were pushed to the back of your head. You asked him while hoping he'd remember something that could help bring back anything related to him. He thought for a second and you knew he remembered something when he looked up at you. He hesitated for a couple of seconds before saying:

- I... the last time we were together was when I...

He took a long pause and you urged him to speak. His lips trembled and he fiddled with his fingers for a couple of seconds before saying:

- When I... kissed you.

  1. immediately looked away when your gaze met his. His ears and cheeks turned a light shade of pink while you continued to stare at him in astonishment. You were blushing heavily as you felt a tingling in your tummy.

- I have to go.

He said in a whisper before turning around and walking towards the door.

- Sorry for keeping you up so late.

He took a quick glance at you.

- Good night.

- Good night, Taekwoon.

 

 

What Taekwoon said kept you busy all day long. As soon as you woke up you grabbed your laptop and tried to find real results of people who had lost their memories, or lost links to it, and tried to restore them using several methods, among which was physical contact. You came across an article that stated: "if the old stories are not narrated exactly as they happened, the chances to remember are lessened, since the stories are in this case interpreted." But then you came across a point that said physical contact can bring back memories more effectively than perfumes would. You were dying to know if kissing him would actually trigger your memories. When you asked him last night, you didn't expect the kiss to be the last thing you did together. Hakyeon had told you that it was, but you thought he was missing something, something that only you and Taekwoon knew about. Apparently, you didn't get to spend any time together after being caught kissing and getting locked up by your parents. You couldn't stop feeling guilty for making him suffer for such a long time without being able to relate to his pain. You were also feeling ashamed that you were considering kissing him only to be able to get back the memories that you lost without considering how he'd feel about being used like this, especially by you. This made you decide to look for another way, something that doesn't involve him or cause him any further discomfort.

 

 

Later that night you waited for Taekwoon to come to your room. It was almost time for your medicine but he didn't show up. You were afraid your conversation last night was making him uncomfortable that he didn't want to come to your room. Maybe I shouldn't have asked him? Every time you thought of him your thoughts were accompanied with feelings of guilt. Why do I keep bothering him all the time?

You waited for a few more minutes before deciding to go downstairs. You tied your hair up and put on a knit robe before leaving your room. You walked in the direction of the kitchen while thinking of the all the possible reasons that made Taekwoon not show up at your doorstep tonight. What you saw had absolutely nothing to do with all the reasons you thoughts of.

The scene in front of you tugged at your heart strings. Your heart melted when you saw Taekwoon sleeping on the table, with a number of books around him. You walked on the tips of your toes, not wanting to startle him, before standing next to him. You felt your cheeks heating up when caught yourself staring at his sleeping face, taking in every detail of his handsome features. He's very handsome.

With shaking hands you nudged his shoulder lightly while whispering his name:

- Taekwoon... wake up.

He started moving slowly, lifting his head off the table and looking at you with half-lidded eyes. It took him a couple of seconds and continuous blinking to realize that he wasn't dreaming and that you were there in front of him, waking him up. He stood up abruptly and fixed his hair as he said:

- I'm sorry. I dozed off while studying and forgot about your medicine.

- It's ok. I can take it myself.

- No wait.

He said and then moved toward the fridge.

- You have to eat something first.

- I'll eat anything. I'm not hungry.

He pulled out a plate with some left over spaghetti in it. He stared at it for a second and then put it back in the fridge.

- What's wrong with it?

- It's cold and...

You grabbed the plate and closed the fridge as you said:

- It's fine. I'll eat it.

You sat down to the table and grabbed yourself a fork as he poured you a glass of water and placed it in front of you. He watched you as you ate in silence before taking the pill out of the container. You reached for it when you saw him rub his eyes. He was very sleepy and you didn't want to bother him any longer.

- Go to bed. I'll take care of the dishes.

He blinked a couple of times and then said:

- No no. I'm not sleepy. I... I have to study.

You took a quick glance at the books next to him and then asked:

- Are you studying chemistry?

He nodded. You looked at the sheet in front of him before saying:

- Go to bed and I'll do it for you.

He rubbed his eyes again while saying:

- But... I want to do it myself.

- Then let me help you.

- Can you?

- Of course. I know all about chemistry.

His face lit up and he asked:

- Are you sure you want to help me?

You blushed and said:

- Of course. You've been taking care of me ever since I got here and I... I want to pay you back.

He hesitated for a second before saying:

- Let me wash my face and come back. I'll be quick.

He ran into his room and you found yourself giggling at his reaction. He seemed very excited about it that he was back a few seconds later. It seemed like he didn't have enough time to dry his face. You laughed at him as he grabbed the kitchen roll and wiped his face. He asked as he sat down next to you:

- Don't you want to sleep? It's almost 3...

- I am not sleepy. Shall we start?

He kept a tiny space between your chairs and looked at you as you went through the sheet. You asked him for a piece of paper and he ripped one out of his notebook and handed it to you. You started explaining the questions one by one. He listened intently and took note of things you explained as he worked his way through the homework sheet with your help. You stole quick glances at him as he wrote the formulas needed for each question and you found yourself silently admiring him. He was handsome; you realized that the first time you came face to face with him. But staring at him closely, you admired his puffy cheeks, his straight nose, his cat-like eyes and the curve of his lips. You looked at the expressions on his face as he tried to solve one of the questions and you smiled to yourself at how serious he looked. He was putting a lot of effort in staying awake and working on his homework, which was something you admired as well. Why do I seem to like everything about him? You asked yourself as you continued to stare at him, wondering if your admiration could turn into something else.

 

Almost an hour later, he was looking proudly at the sheet in his hand. He turned to look at you with a happy grin on his face:

- I thought I'd never be able to do it! Thank you so much!

- You're most welcome.

  1. smiled and he placed the sheet inside one of his books. You were both silent for a second until he turned to look at you. Your heart skipped a beat when he was gazing into your eyes.

- What?

You asked, your cheeks turning red.

- I... Since you came back, I... I wondered if... if we'll ever sit together like this. I mean... just you and me.

He slowly leaned closer to you. You swallowed hard as you stared at him. You didn't move back, not even when you could feel his warm breath tickling your lips. Your heart was pounding in your chest and a knot formed in your throat as you waited to feel his lips on yours, wondering if it'll stir any memories or feelings in you. When he finally pressed his lips against yours, you felt a pleasant sensation run though your body. It was very a short, yet sweet, peck on the lips but it left you in awe. Heat built up in your body when he pulled back slightly and looked at you with a shy smile on his face:

- Is this okay?

He whispered and you hesitated for a second before nodding and smiling back at him. He put his hand behind your back pulling you closer before pressing his lips on yours again. His lips were soft against yours, soft like a feather, leaving behind a delightful tickle. You closed your eyes as his hands pulled you into his warm embrace. Your hands fell against his chest, and your fingers curled, clutching his shirt as you kissed him back. His hands went up and down your back sending shivering down your spine. You parted your lips slightly and let out a muffled moan causing him to lean down and deepen the kiss. After a few dreamlike seconds, his lips stilled and he pulled away slowly as the smile on his lips disappeared.

- We shouldn't do this.

He whispered as he looked away. You uncurled your fingers and let go of his shirt, looking at him, puzzled and hurt. He stood up and walked away from you. He gave you his back as he whispered:

- I'm sorry.

- Taekwoon...

You called his name faintly but he didn't look at him. Long seconds passed until he said:

- Please leave.

Your breathing hitched. When you felt tears welling up in your eyes you bit your lip, trying to prevent them from rolling down your face. Your body was still not over that beautiful ecstasy, and your heart was crying in pain at the sudden loss. You couldn't understand what happened. You were both delving into the warmth of the other when he suddenly became cold and distant.

You couldn't bear looking at him after he asked you to leave. You got off your seat and walked out of the kitchen without exchanging a word with him. When he finally turned around, thinking that you were in your room already, he wasn't aware that you were hiding behind the corner, gasping for air and clutching your chest in pain. He let out a loud grunt and hit the table in frustration and you could feel your heart clench as you ran towards your room.