Together Forever

After all this time, it's still you

It's been three weeks since that night. After you moved in with Taekwoon, you both started looking for jobs. It was easier for you to find a proper job with your qualifications and connections. Of course you had to make a few phones calls with Seokjin and your father's secretary asking them for help and making sure they didn't tell your father. It took Taekwoon a bit longer to settle for a job at a music studio. Even though it wasn't what he wanted, he was willing to settle for it until he could find a better one. He also kept his night job at the coffee shop and studied in between the two. You felt sorry for him and asked him several times to quit one of the two jobs but he said he promised to look after you and he wasn't going to break his promise now. You expressed your feelings of guilt every time he came home exhausted and tired but he always assured you that he enjoyed both jobs and that finding you at home waiting for him made all the exhaustion disappear. The more time you spent with him the more you realized this was the life you truly wanted. 

 

 

You were packing the stuff in Taekwoon's apartment after the two of you decided to move to a bigger apartment when you received a phone call. You were surprised when you answered and heard Nana's voice. When you hung up with her you were more surprised you didn't notice Taekwoon walking into the room and closing the door behind him. When he saw you looking dazed he called your name. You lifted your head up and looked at him. You didn't know how to tell him about Nana's call. You knew he'd get upset about what she said, but you had to tell him.  

"Nana called."

You blurted out. He sat down next to you and put his arm around your shoulder. He asked with a worried tone: 

"Is she okay? Is your father okay?"

"Yes. They're all okay, don't worry."

You reassured him. Pausing for a second, you thought of his reaction to what you were about to say. You studied his face as you said:

"She... She knows we're moving."

"How did she know?"

"I... I forgot to tell you. The landlady is her friend. She's... She's been helping with the rent ever since you moved here."

"What?"

His jaw dropped in shock. You bit your lower lip when you saw the troubled expression on his face. 

"She told me a while ago but I forgot to mention it to you."

He let out an audible sigh. You didn't want him to know, but it was better to tell him yourself. If Nana was to tell him, it would definitely make him feel worse. You placed your hand on his knee as you looked at him. He lifted his head up and looked at you as he asked: 

"What does she want now?"

"She said she's sending us a few things, for the new apartment."

He got off the sofa and paced the room before saying:

"Call her and tell her we don't need anything."

You walked up to him and said:

"I did but she said the stuff are already on the way."

He frowned so you cupped his face and then said: 

"I know you hate getting help but they're our family."

He placed his hand on yours:

"I don't want them to feel like I can't provide you with a good life."

"I don't care what they think! You have a stable job now and so do I. We're living a good life. If they want to help then let them. They should help, like any normal family does." 

You paused to give him time to think. You wanted them to help, not because he wasn't doing enough, he was doing more than enough. But you wanted him to rest. You wanted him to quit one of his two jobs and focus on his studies instead of worrying about money. You didn't want to show it but were glad Nana called. You suddenly remembered the second half of the phone call.  

"She... She also said she wants to visit us when we're done moving."

The frown disappeared as he looked at you in astonishment. If she said she wants to visit you it means she's no longer mad at you, hopefully

"Really? Why?"

"She didn't say why. She just asked me to let her know when we're ready."

"That's a good thing, right?"

He said as he smiled at you. You smiled back and said: 

"I hope so."

 

 

 

A week later, you and Taekwoon were done unpacking your stuff in your new apartment. You could finally see yourselves living in your own home. His tooth brush next to yours on the bathroom vanity, his mug next to yours on the kitchen counter near the coffee machine you bought a few days ago, his clothes, his shoes, his perfumes, side by side with yours. It was everything you've ever wanted, ever since you knew your heartbeats were for nobody but him.

You called Nana when you were settled. She said she'll be coming the following day and you and Taekwoon couldn't sleep as you thought of all the possible scenarios. He was worried that she was coming to take you back. He was afraid she'd convince you to go back home with her. You held him tight, as you lay next to him that night and rested your head on his chest as you assured him that nothing can take you away from him. 

 

The following morning you were both sitting in your living room, dressed and waiting for Nana to arrive. Minutes passed very slowly as you were both anxious, thinking about all the possible reasons behind the visit. When the bell finally rang announcing her arrival, you were on your feet, opening the door with shaking hands and taking a deep breath as you watched her walk into your apartment.

She greeted you as she entered and Taekwoon helped her with her jacket. She then took you in her arms, rubbing your back with a smile on her face as she said: 

"We missed you."

She pulled out and cupped your face as she stared at you with a warm smile on her face.

"You do look happier than ever."

She said before turning around and looking at Taekwoon, who was standing behind her with a shy blush on his cheeks. She extended her arms towards him and he took hesistant steps in her direction before letting her wrap her arms around his middle and pat his back. Your face broke into a smile at the scene of the two of them hugging with content smiles on their faces.

 

When she finally sat down after exploring the whole apartment, she motioned you to sit next to her while Taekwoon sat on the armchair facing you. She examined your faces for a couple of seconds and then asked:  

"So, when are you having your wedding?" 

Her question caught you off guard. You exchanged looks with Taekwoon and then looked at her as you asked:  

"Who said anything about a wedding?" 

She raised an eyebrow and looked at the two of you before saying with a perplexed expression on her face: 

"Didn't you say you're getting married?"

"Well..."

You didn't know what to say. Taekwoon proposed to you that night but you never talked about it again. You knew he wasn't joking but you weren't going to bring it up unless he did. Moving into a new apartment and adjusting to your new jobs, you were both too busy and tired to talk about this topic. But apparently, Nana was still thinking about it. 

"If you insist on being together, then you need to get married. I don't like the idea of you living together without marriage."

"But..."

You were both still speechless. You were blushing as she contiuned:

"But what? You moved into a new place, you're both working and old enough to get married."

"We will but we're not sure about the wedding."

Taekwoon finally said. You nodded, agreeing with him. You were both not so excited about holding a wedding similar to the one held for Eunji, especially after getting kicked out of the house. If you had to hold one, then you'd rather have a simple party with your family and close friends, but Nana would never grant you that simple wish. 

"Do you want my only grandchild to get married without a wedding?"

She asked, as if responding to your thoughts. 

"I don't want one."

You interfered. She turned to look at you in surprise and then said: 

"That's not for you to decide. Set a date and let me know and I'll take care of everything."

"But... What you've given us so far is more than enough. We wouldn't want to..."

Taekwoon said but she interrupted him as she said: 

"Consider it as my gift to you. Your mother made me promise to look after the two of you and I never break my promises."

You were both left speechless. She meant a lot to you both, and you wanted nothing but to see her happy. Coming all the way to your apartment and promising to arrange a wedding meant she was over her prejudice against Taekwoon and it also meant that your father was no longer against your relationship with him. If holding a wedding meant that your relationship with your family will go back to normal then you'd gladly welcome it even if it was against your will. Looking at Taekwoon, you could sense that he shared the same point of view. He grew up with this family and he'd never want to live his life away from them, and he'd also never want to take you away from the family you spent such a long time away from. 

 

 

As soon as Nana left, Taekwoon called your name and asked you to sit next to him. He shifted in his seat so he could look at you as he held your hands in his. He rubbed the back on your hand with his thumbs gently for a couple of seconds, increasing your curiosity before asking: 

"Do you want to marry me?"

It took you a second to get over your surprise and say:

"Yes."

He smiled widely and then asked:  

"When?"

"As soon as we can."

His smile only got wider as he tightened his hold around your hands. He thought for a few seconds before saying: 

"How about next month? The semester will be over soon and we'll have more time to prepare for the wedding."

Next month? A couple of minutes ago he didn't seem so excited about a wedding.

You nodded and then pecked his cheek before saying: 

"I can wait."

You rested your head on his shoulder and he wrapped his arm around your shoulder as he said: 

"I'll check my calendar and then we can call Nana and tell her of our decision." 

 

 

 

 

It took you and Taekwoon a couple of days to confirm a date. He checked his final exams schedule and you arranged with your colleagues after checking with the HR and your direct head of department. You called Nana and she expressed her delighted to be given the green light to go on with the wedding preparations. She did as she promised, taking care of every single detail. The wedding was to be held at the family's house. She will accompany you to all the bridal shops she knows so you can choose a dress for your wedding. You will have to sit down with the wedding planner and tell her of what you want your wedding to look like. She wanted you to get involved in each and every step. 

The first thing you had to do before all that was meeting your father. You saw him as soon as you entered the house following Nana's steps. You were surprised at how well he recieved you. You expected him to ignore you, but instead he took you in his arms, rubbed your back and you could tell he was sobbing. It broke your heart to see him in this state, and you felt worse when he apologized. He didn't say anything more than 'I'm sorry,' but you could feel your heart swelling in your chest. When he pulled out and looked at you, a smile crept into his face as he pushed a lock of hair behind your ear. He promised to make it up to you, for all the times he misunderstood you and Taekwoon, and caused you both pain. 

 

Everything was overwhelming. The planning, the invitations, the dress; everything. While Taekwoon was busy with his final exams, you and Nana went around the town to get all that you needed for the wedding. By the time you were done, he was done with his exams. He went out a few times with Hongbin and Wonsik to get himself a suit. You were thankful to them for looking after him when you were busy with your family and their endless to-do lists. You were even forced to stay at your family's house to go over a few details since the wedding was close.

 

 

The month flew by very quickly. Three days before the wedding, you could finally go home to Taekwoon. You've been staying at the family's house for two weeks with a few hours a day to spend with him. You found him sitting to his desk. You cleared your throat and he placed the book on his desk and turned to look at you. He had an unreadable expression on his face. 

"I'm sorry. Nana forced me to stay and I had a few things to double check before..."

"I'm going to bed."

He interrupted you and then got off his seat and walked toward the bedroom. You froze in your place for a few seconds before following him. You opened the door and let out a quiet gasp when you found him taking his pants off. You turned your back toward him as you said: 

"I'm sorry. I know you're upset but can we at least talk about it?"

"He remained silent. You turned around slowly and felt your heart sink when he was already in bed. You sat down next to him."

"Taekwoon please."

He let out a sigh and turned to face you. 

"I was very busy. I told you I'll stay there. I had no other option."

"You seem to like it there more than you like it here."

"No. Of course not."

The frown on his face suddenly disappeared and a smile crept into his lips as he said:

"That's a relief."

You gaped at him and then let out a grunt as you hit his chest and got off bed before leaving the room. He jumped off bed and ran after you.

"Wait. I was joking."

You turned to look at him.

"Don't do that ever again!"

"Do what?"

He said as he giggled so you hit his chest again. He hugged you tightly and sniffed your hair before whispering: 

"I missed you so much!"

 

 

 

The day before the wedding was your free day. Nana allowed you to go out with Taekwoon one last time before changing your social status from single to married. You spent the day at home. Around midnight and while cuddling on the couch, you started discussing your plans after the wedding. You wanted to travel on a honeymoon and he promised to take you anywhere you wanted. The conversation then suddenly changed to talking about children and you felt flustered for a few seconds. It took him a couple of seconds to realize you were blushing and fiddling with your fingers. He smiled at you, pushed a lock of hair behind your ear before saying: 

"We have the rest of our lives to worry about that. Now I want to take you somewhere."

You titled your head to look at him. 

"Go get dressed. I have to call someone."

"Who is it?"

"Solji."

"What? Why?"

He ruffled your hair when he saw jealousy all over your face. 

"I need her to help me with something."

"I'll do it just don't call her."

"Come on! We're getting married tomorrow and you're still jealous of her."

You huffed in annoyance and then got of the couch. He giggled and then said: 

"I'm calling Hongbin too."

"Why? What are you planning?"

He shrugged his shoulders and said: 

"Nothing. Just go get dressed."

You rolled your eyes before heading towards the bedroom, leaving him to do his phone calls. You were wondering what is it that he needed Solji and Hongbin's help with. You wanted to go and ask him but you knew you weren't getting any answers, so you picked a dress and put it on. You fixed your makeup and then left the room to find him sitting on the couch where you left him. 

"I'm ready."

"I'll go get dressed and then we're ready to leave."

 

 

"Where are we going?"

"You'll know in a minute."

He said before pulling over in front of the coffee shop. You looked at him, puzzled. 

"Why are we here? It's closed."

"I know. Let's get inside."

You got off the car, still confused as you followed him into the coffee shop.  The blinds were down and the lights were off. You almost yelled when Hongbin opened the door from inside the dark coffee shop.

"What are you doing here?"

"Surprise!"

You almost bumped into Taekwoon as you let out a yelp when Wonsik, Solji and a guy you haven't seen before came out of nowhere and screamed in the darkness before turning the lights on. You turned to look at Taekwoon who closed the door behind him and placed his hands on your shoulders. 

"What is this about?"

He leaned in and pecked your cheek as he said: 

"I wanted us to have our own wedding. Away from the family's fancy tables and expensive drinks."

Wonsik went into the kitchen and came back with a 2 layers white cake with a pink ribbon between the layers and the word "Congratulations" written on the top layer.  He placed it on the table in front of you. You looked at the cake in astonishment before hugging him tightly. 

"Thank you."

He patted your back before pulling out. 

"Congratulations."

Hongbin was standing next to him so he extended his arms and hugged you too. When you pulled out you found Taekwoon standing next to Solji. She turned to look at you as she said: 

"Congratulations."

She then handed you a small box. 

- What is this?

You looked at the box in confusion. 

"Your wedding gift."

You stared at the box in disbelief. You never really liked her, and you definitely never imagined she'd get you a wedding gift. You've always thoguht she was after Taekwoon. This proved you wrong. What made it worse was Taekwoon introducing the guy you saw next to her as her boyfriend, whom he seemed to know very well. You took the box from her and thanked her and she smiled at you, a genuine smile, before hugging you. Taekwoon looked at the two of you hugging with a smile on his face. 

"Finally, my wife and my best friend are on good terms."

He said loudly and you felt your cheeks burn in embarrassment. He never called you 'my wife' before but that wasn't the reason behind the blush on your cheeks. It was Solji's puzzled look that made you hit his arm and draw an awkward smile on your face. You were saved when a knock on the door got everybody's attention. 

"Who is it?"

Wonsik asked. Taekwoon didn't asnwer as he opened the door. Your jaw dropped when you saw Hakyeon walk into the coffee shop as he said: 

"I'm sorry I'm late."

You ran towards him and threw your arms around his neck. He lifted you up and hugged you tightly as he said: 

"You thought I'd miss it?"

He put you down and then turned to look at Taekwoon. They stared at each other for a couple of seconds until Hakyeon broke the silence as he said: 

"Congratulations, my friend."

You couldn't believe your eyes when they hugged each other. The hug lasted for a few seconds but to you it looked like it took longer than that. It felt like they needed this hug, a very long time ago. Behind all the fake prejudices, they still cared for each other, like in the old days. You smiled when you saw the pat each other's backs and then said: 

"My husband and my best friends are finally on good terms."

Hakyeon let out a laugh and Taekwoon looked at you and smiled. Hongbin suddenly said: 

"Are we going to eat the cake or what? I'm starving!"

You laughed and then felt a hand on your shoulder. You turned to find Solji looking at you. 

"I need to give you something."

You followed her into the kitchen and saw her take a white veil out of a bag she hid in the kitchen. You gaped at it and she said: 

"You can't have a wedding without a veil, right?"

"I... I don't know what to say."

She smiled at you as she placed the veil on your hair and then said: 

"Don't say anything. Your groom is waiting."

 

 

You walked out of the kitchen with Solji on your side to find Taekwoon standing at the other end of the coffee shop with the boys on his sides and their eyes fixed on you. Solji had handed you a small bouquet of flowers that you held in your hands as you walked toward Taekwoon. You saw a smile on his face and tears in his eyes as he watched you take more steps towards him. Your heart was pounding in your chest when you were finally standing in front of him, holding his hands and staring into his eyes. A tear found its way down his cheek as he said: 

"I've waited my whole life for this."

 

 

 

"It's my turn to say that I've waited so long for this."

You said as you stood in front of Taekwoon, again, but this time in your wedding dress, between your family and friends. He held your hands in his as he smiled widely at you and then said: 

"Not longer than I did."

You smiled back at him before turning to see Hakyeon walking in your direction with a small box in his hand. 

"The rings."

Taekwoon took the box from him, whispered a 'Thank you' before opening the box. He took the rings out, handed you one and held on in his hand. 

"I do."

You said, answering the priest's question with a blush creeping into your face. He held your hand, slide the ring into your finger before asking you to place the other one in his hand. You slide the ring in his finger among the cheers of your friends and relatives. 

"You may now kiss your bride."

He cupped your face and lowered himself before locking your lips with his. You placed your hands on his chest as he pulled out. 

"I love you."

You whispered. He pecked your temple, pushed a lock of hair behind your ear as he said: 

"And I've never stopped loving you."