It's You

After all this time, it's still you

 

You could finally sleep at night in your room. The security guards roaming around the house day and night made you feel safe. Even though you'd hesitate every time you were about to enter your room, worrying that you'd find someone inside it, you were able to get over that incident quickly. Your mind was busy with other matters. You were feeling guilty towards Taekwoon. Especially since he disappeared for almost two weeks after what happened the other night. You didn't see him around the house at all ever since. You were afraid that he was intimidated by you after being trapped in your room. You had no idea why you did that. You really needed answers but the distressed look on his face made you regret having done that. You wanted to apologize to him. You asked for chocolate milk every night hoping to see him and be able to apologize, but you were faced with a different maid every night. You started to worry that what you've done might have caused him to stay away from you or even leave the house forever.

 

 

The two weeks passed very slowly. The boring, redundant routine of every day was driving you insane. You woke up in the morning to find your family having breakfast in the garden or in the dining room, then you spent your day reading in your room or hanging out with your cousins. Lunch was served at 1 and you had to be there along with the rest of the family. Dinner was served at 8 and of course you had to be there too. Tea and dessert followed and then everybody would go around, minding their own business and you'd be back to your room, reading or watching T.V. Sometimes you'd hang out with Hakyeon if he was at home. This went on for days and days, the same schedule, the same faces. Everything was the same and you were starting to hate this excessive familiarity.

You asked your father several times to let you go to their company and start working in the position he promised you, but he'd always say it's too early for you to busy yourself with work. On one hand, he was still worried about you, even though the police assured him that they're handling the situation. On the other hand, he wanted you to get familiar and comfortable with this place you called home before you were ready to meet new people. You understood your father's concern, even though he's always been overprotective. You also didn't mind taking a break from work and spending some time with your family, but a month was too long and you had to figure out a way to convince him to take you to work as soon as possible. For the time being, you spent your day going around the town with Hakyeon, which you thought wasn't that bad.

 

 

It was on a cold night and while you were in your room reading one of your favorite novels for the fourth, maybe fifth, time that you heard an unsual knock at your door. Blood froze in your veins when you looked at the clock on the wall and realized it was around 1 a.m. The maids usually knock very lightly and announce themselves immediately. You grabbed your phone and had Hakyeon's number ready to dial in case you were met with an unfamiliar face. You took careful steps toward the door before placing your hand firmly on the handle and asking:

- Who is it?

- Your chocolate milk is here.

You sighed in relief when you recognized the voice. You opened the door slowly with a blush on your cheeks. Taekwoon was standing in front of your door with a tray in hand and a mug of chocolate milk on it. You didn't expect to see him in front of your door after disappearing for two weeks. You stared at him for a couple of seconds, taking in his handsome features and the unreadable depth of his eyes before saying:

- But... I thought... I didn't...

You stuttered as your eyes studied his face carefully. You've never looked at him this close before. There was something about his eyes that was both attractive and scary. His gaze was sharp and uncanny, yet tender and loving. His cheeks looked like he had cotton candy hidden inside them, which made him look somehow cute. The curve of his lips... that was another story. 

Your thoughts were interrupted when he let himself into your room and placed the tray on the nightstand beside your bed. As he turned around to leave, you called his name:  

- Taekwoon. 

He paused for a couple of seconds and then turned around very slowly. He looked at you silently so you said: 

- I... I'm sorry about... the other day. 

He remained silent, his eyes studying your face, causing you to blush as you added:  

- I didn't mean to... 

- It's ok. 

He whispered and then turned around to leave but you called him again. 

- Did you make this yourself? 

He looked at you, puzzled. His eyes followed your hands as you pointed at the mug of chocolate milk. He nodded.  

- Everyday? 

He nodded again and you could see his ears turning a light shade of pink. 

- But I didn't ask for any milk tonight. 

He looked flustered as he stuttered: 

- I... I thought you forgot...

You lips lifted up in a tiny smile as you pushed a lock of hair behind your ear and said:

- Actually, I forgot. Thank you. 

He nodded again and left. You followed him with your eyes as he disappeared before closing your door and flopping on your bed. You needed to know more about him. He didn't look like he belonged here and there was a secret behind him that you were determined to unravel. You decided to ask Hakyeon about him and get your answers no matter what. 

 

 

 

When you went down for breakfast the next morning, you didn't see Hakyeon. When you called him he told you that he was having breakfast with his friends. You told him you needed to talk to him when he gets home. You haven't forgotten about Taekwoon. You spent the night thinking about him. He was very mysterious as if surrounded by his own aura. Somehow you had the feeling that Hakyeon has the key to all Taekwoon's secrets. After all, they seemed around the same age so they might have something in common. 

You sat down to the dining table and ate your breakfast in silence until Nana turned to look at you and then said:

- I need to talk to you when you're done eating.

You gave her a tiny nod as you sipped your tea while thinking of what she wanted to talk to you about. An hour after breakfast, one of the maids walked up to you and asked you to go to the study room. You knocked at the door and heard Nana calling you in. You entered the room and sat down next to her.

-  How have you been? 

She asked. 

- I'm good, don't worry.  

She placed her hand on your knee and squeezed it lightly. 

- I was so worried about you.

You placed your hand on hers and gave her a reassuring smile as you said:

- Please don't worry. It's over now.

She sighed in relief before moving to the main issue:

- So... I wanted to ask you this but I thought I should postpone it until you were feeling better. Hakyeon's mother wants to know if you've considered our suggestion.

It's Hakyeon again, you thought to yourself. You took a deep breath, remembering your attempt to test the waters last night, and then said: 

- Nana, I think we should really forget about me and Hakyeon getting married.

She looked at you and raised an eyebrow when she didn't receive the answer she expected. She asked, carefully studying your face: 

- Do you have someone else?

You giggled before answering:

- No. But Hakyeon and I don't really like each other that way.

- Nonsense.

You were expecting her to say that. She's very stubborn.  

- Nana, please listen to me. I moved here to stay. I'm not going anywhere. Marrying Hakyeon won't make me stay if I don't want to. But I really do, because of you and because of dad and because of everyone. Please let's not talk about this again.

You heard a knock and then saw Hakyeon walking into the study room. Apparently, he heard bits of what you said when he opened the door so he addressed Nana as soon as he entered:  

- Nana. Do you want me to marry this girl and live a miserable life?

You punched his side and Nana laughed at his little pout. She then sighed and said: 

- I've always thought you'd marry Hakyeon ever since you were kids. Maybe if you spend more time together you'd like each other more.

- I don't think so. I spent my whole life with her and I don't think I can take another day. 

Hakyeon said teasingly, causing her to laugh again. You stuck your tongue out at him and he giggled. 

- See? He hates me!

She let out another sigh and said:

- I guess it won't work this way. Anyway, and this is for both of you, whoever you'll marry will have to live here with us.

She then turned to look at you as she said:

- Nobody is allowed to take you away from me again.

She hugged you tight and you inhaled her scent and relaxed in her arms, letting her your hair and back. You had to admit that there was something comforting about her. Even though she was strict when it came to a lot of matters around this house, she had a kind heart, and an undying love to her and her sister's grandchildren. Ever since her sister passed away, she was responsible for both families which meant she had to be strict to be able to hold them together. You appreciated her and loved her because she was the only mother you could remember. 

 

 

 

At lunch you had to sit with Nana and her friends. They said she's been talking to them about you since you left and they were all dying to meet you. After lunch and a couple of hours spent chatting with Nana's friends over tea, you were free to go find Hakyeon. You were eager to ask him the question that has been bugging you all day long, who is Taekwoon? You found him in his room listening to music and you thought this was the best time to ask him since he was in a good mood.

- May I come in?

You asked as you stood at his door step. He turned the music off and motioned you to come in. You entered his room, closed the door and sat on the edge of his bed.

- Why did you close the door?

- I need to talk to you.

He sat up and looked at you.

- What is it?

- Promise me to tell me everything I need to know.

- It depends.

- Come on!

- Ask me and I'll do my best.

You sighed and then took a deep breath before asking:

- Who is Taekwoon?

He swallowed hard as he tried avoiding eye contact with you.

- Answer me please. I'm dying to know and nobody is telling me anything.

- I can't.

- Why?

- I just... I am not allowed to speak about this.

- Hakyeon, come on! I promise I won't tell anyone

- I can't. Nana would kill me.

- Hakyeon please!

You were now begging him. He gaped at you when he saw tears forming in your eyes, threatening to flow down your cheeks.

- Come here.

He tried hugging you but you pushed him away.

- Why are you crying?

Tears were now streaming down your face. 

- I... I feel like everybody is trying to hide something from me and I hate this feeling. Nobody answers my questions. He even said he's not allowed to speak to me and you said you're not allowed to talk about it and Yoojung won't answer my questions and she even asked her sisters not to. I am feeling excluded and nobody cares how bad this makes me feel.

- You spoke to him?

You threw the closest cushion at him for ignoring everything you just said and asking such a question. He grabbed the cushion and asked:  

- What did he say? 

- He said he's not allowed to speak to me.

He huffed in annoyance and then added:

- You shouldn't talk to him.

- Why?

You yelled.

- Why am I not allowed to talk to him? What happened that we're not allowed to talk to each other? Who is he? 

He huffed again before saying: 

- I'll tell you but you have to promise me you'll never speak of it to anybody. Don't even speak of it to me ever again. Understood?

You nodded and waited patiently for him to keep talking. He sighed and then said: 

- I know I'll regret this. Okay, wait, let me show you something first. 

He walked up to his desk, looked through the drawers until he found what he was looking for. He sat next to you on the edge of his bed and then handed you an old photo of three kids posing for the camera.  

- Do you know who this is?

He asked as he pointed at the photo. 

- This is you and me. 

He hit your head and you let out an 'ah'. 

- You're so smart. I'm talking about the third kid. 

You scratched your head and said:

- No.

- This is Taekwoon.

You snatched the photo and took a closer look at the kid. You looked at it for a couple of seconds before getting it snatched back by Hakyeon.

- This makes no sense. Why would anyone take a photo of us with one of the servants? Why was he even there at this young age? Is this some kind of child labor?

He looked at you in shock. 

- What the hell are you talking about? Child labor?

You blushed heavily as you said: 

- Sorry. It just looks weird. 

He rolled his eyes at you and then continued: 

- So... we had a gardener who was very close to Nana. They enjoyed working in the garden together and talking about random things mostly related to flowers and trees. This gardener lived with his wife and child in the guest house for as long as I can remember. Nana considered him a part of the family and treated him as such, so his kid was allowed to play with us all the time. She even asked for the tree house to be built because he wanted one. 

- So Taekwoon is the son of the gardener? 

- If you interrupt me again I'll stop talking. 

- I'm sorry. 

- As we grew up, Taekwoon was getting closer to both of us. We never thought of him as the son of the gardener, but rather as our friend. The three of us would play together all the time. You were the princess, he was the prince because apparently you liked him more than you liked me, and I was the villain. Every time I kidnapped you, he'd fight me and rescue you and you'd run away with him and leave me tied to the tree until one of the maids would find me and untie me. 

He stopped when you started laughing. He threw a cushion at you and you stopped laughing. 

- I am sorry. 

You giggled and he pouted. 

- Please go on. 

- No. 

- Come on.... I said I was sorry. 

- One time, when we were almost 10? No you were 10 and we were 13 I think, Nana found.... 

- Found what? 

He seemed flustered as he said: 

- I think I should stop. 

- No please don't. I am dying Hakyeon. Please!

He hesitated for a couple of seconds and then looked at you as he said: 

- Nana found you and Taekwoon kissing in the tree house. 

You gasped and he laughed at the surprised expression on your face. 

- Kissing? But we were kids. 

- It was a very innocent peck on the lips but.... poor kid, he got into so much trouble for such an innocent act. Your parents wanted him out; Nana stopped talking to the gardener for at least a month. Taekwoon's father beat him up and locked him up for a long time.

- But why? He was a kid! How could they do such a thing to a kid? 

- Because.... he is the son of the gardener and you are the daughter of his masters. They were afraid you’d get too attached to him so they had to do what they did. 

- Are you kidding me? 

You were now looking at him in disgust. How could they do that?

- No. You cried for days saying you liked him and you allowed him to kiss you when he said he liked you too but you ended up being grounded for weeks. 

- And then what? 

- You got into that accident and left the country. His parents passed away a couple of years later. Nana looked after him and allowed him to stay so he's been working here ever since. 

As soon as he was done talking he noticed that you were crying. He put his hand on your shoulder and gave it a light pat. You wiped your tears away and looked at him as you asked: 

- Is this why he's not allowed to talk to me?

He nodded and then answered:

- Yes. Nana even considered sending him away before you came back but changed her mind when he promised he'll never speak to you and she made us all promise not to bring this up to you, ever. She's going to kill me if she knew I told you. 

- I won't tell her. I promise. 

You said faintly before standing up. He looked at you in concern as he asked: 

- Where are you going?

- I need to be alone. Thank you. 

---------------------------------


Author's note: I started this story more than a year ago. It went through a lot of editing before I decided to publish it. I really hope you're enjoying it and I'd really appreciate your feedback and comments ❤
Happy new year ❤