Back into Safety

After all this time, it's still you

Everything was a white, hazy blur. You were carried out of the room, your eyes following Taekwoon and your lips mouthing a mantra of his name. You could barely keeps your eyes open, exhaustion draining you of your energy as you lay on the garner like a corpse. Taekwoon was carried on another garner, into a different ambulance, and you felt your heart ripping itself out of your chest and following him. Amid the chaos, you wished if someone could answer your questions; is Taekwoon okay? Is he breathing? Is he alive?

Your questions remained unanswered as a paramedic rode in the ambulance with you and closed the door. You remembered reading somewhere that when an ambulance's siren is off, the person is no longer alive. It would be no use to hurry to the hospital is the body is already a corpse. Why isn't the siren on?

You looked up at the paramedic and the last thing you remember seeing was a on your hair and a needle in your forearm… and a whisper "you'll be okay." You parted your lips to ask a question but it never left your lips, "is he going to be okay?"

Sleep crept into your eyes as the paramedic placed an oxygen mask on your face. Is Taekwoon breathing?

 

Your head felt heavy and your body was soon relaxing, letting go. It wasn't long until the heaviness had slowly disappeared and you could finally open your eyes. You were surrounded by familiar greenery, am I dead? You heard a voice calling your name, a childish voice. Turning around, you saw two kids running after each other. The girl was way ahead of the boy, running in her dirty jeans and disheveled hair, laughing and screaming at the same time. She was followed by a boy in a similar pair of jeans, holding a jar of cookies in his hands and looking behind him every couple of seconds. Looking behind them, you noticed a third kid running with a frown on his face. As the two kids at the front reached the stairs of the tree house at the other end of the garden, the third kid stopped to catch his breath. When he saw them climb the stairs hurriedly, he ran again, yelling: "wait!"

'Open the door,' he yelled as he climbed the stairs toward the locked door. The other two kids were laughing as they sat behind the door, resting their back on it and blocking it with their bodies. 'If you don't open the door I won't play with you again.' The two kids exchanged looks for a couple of seconds before getting off the floor and opening the door. 'Why am I always the chaser? Why can't I be the prince?' The angry kid asked and the other boy looked at the girl with a smile on his face. She then said: 'Because you're not good at it. Taekwoon knows where to find me. If he's the chaser, then we'll definitely lose!'

 

You opened your eyes slightly and saw the face of the paramedic looking at you in concern. She patted your head and asked if you're okay. You nodded, that was all you could do. You wanted to keep your eyes open; you wanted to stay aware of your surroundings. The dream was strange. You'd read about people remembering their childhood on the verge of death and you didn't want to die yet. I need to see Taekwoon before I go. I need to talk to him, I need to touch him, I need to kiss him.

Sleep forced itself into your eyes and you surrendered. Your body was acting against your well, expressing a protest to the harsh circumstances it's been through for the past couple of days. Dehydration, pain ripping through your body like a sharp knife. Your brain had sent a message to your limbs that you're safe; there is no need to resist anymore. Sleep.

 

As soon as you closed your eyes, the heaviness faded and you saw the kids running around the garden again. The third kid was missing, there was no urgency nor a chase. The girl suddenly stopped and then turned around. 'Taekwoon!' She cried and the boy hurried in her direction. He looked at her face to find a tear rolling down her cheek. 'What's wrong?' he asked in concern and she simply pointed at her feet. The boy giggled and the girl glared at him. He placed his hand on his mouth to prevent himself from giggling. 'I'm sorry.' He said as he looked at the girl's shoes as he tried to figure out a solution for this problem. 'Take your shoes off.' He ordered the girl who looked at him with teary eyes as she whined: 'I don't want to touch it!' He let out a sigh and knelt in front of her before helping her slip her foot out of the shoe. He then took his shoes off and handed them to her, 'put these on,' he ordered again and the girl complied. 'Can you walk now?' He asked as he held the girl's hand in his. A smile crept into her lips as she tried walking in his shoes. 'They're big, but no poop.' He smiled and walked toward the house, still holding the girl's hand in his. The smile didn't leave his face regardless of the maids yelling at him for walking inside the house barefoot.

 

Everything around you was white, bright. A warm hand on your face, a hand checking your pulse, another hand wiping blood off your mouth. You heard machines peeping to your side along with incomprehensible murmurs. Where am I? You were afraid that it was a dream; you were still being held a captive in that filthy garage. The smell is different, the hands are different. Those hands are kind, warm. No. I am out. I am safe. You repeated, over and over again until you could feel your body relax. Is Taekwoon safe?

 

This time, it wasn't only kids who appeared in your dream. A woman with chestnut hair and black hair was walking toward the dinning table. She knelt down and looked under the table to find the girl hiding beneath the tablecloth, sitting in the corner, head between her knees and tears running down her cheeks. The woman the girl's hair gently as she asked: 'Why are you crying?' The girl lifted her head up and whined: 'Mommy! Hakyeon yelled at me and Taekwoon doesn't know I'm here.' She smiled and gathered the girl in her arms. The girl wrapped her arms around her mother's neck and cried again: 'What if Hakyeon comes and yells at me again? What if Taekwoon doesn't find me?' The woman carried her daughter in her arms and took her to the kitchen. The girl sat down to the kitchen table while her mother warmed some chocolate milk for her and added a couple marshmallows to it before saying 'I'll kick his if he yells at you again.' The girl laughed and her mother ruffled her hair with a grin on her face. A couple of seconds later Taekwoon ran into the kitchen, breathing heavily. He looked at the girl and then asked: 'Where have you been? I looked everywhere for you!' The girl looked at her mother and then said 'Mommy rescued me!' Her mother smiled brightly at Taekwoon and asked him to sit down before handing him a glass of milk. 'Thank you, ma'am.' The boy said and the woman looked at him in a slight disappointment. Taekwoon's cheeks turned a light shade of pink as he corrected himself, 'I'm sorry. Thank you... mom.'

 

Whiteness surrounded you, and a sense of numbness traveled up and down your limbs and you were forced to give in to the people surrounding your body. You heard glimpses of the conversation they were having, the numbness in your body and the throbbing pain in your head prevented you from understanding any of what was said.

This is cruel... the boy... lost a lot of blood... let's not lose the girl... Did they say too? Did... Did they say let's not lose the girl, too? Did they... Did they lose him? Is... Is he alive?

 

Going back into the realm of dreams, you saw the girl again, but this time she was on the floor, crying. 'Woonie~' Taekwoon came running in her direction before kneeling down in front of her and holding her face in his hands. He brushed his thumb lightly against her cheek, wiping her tears away as he whispered: 'Stop crying.' The girl sniffled and then said: 'But it hurts! I can't walk!' Taekwoon giggled and then turned around and asked her to get on his back. She hesitated for a couple of seconds and he urged her to hurry. She threw her arms around his neck and he walked her inside the house and then put her down on the nearest sofa. As he helped her into the couch, she pulled herself up and pecked his cheek. He looked at her, a blush spreading across his cheeks and ears. 'You're my hero,' she whispered and he smiled shyly before turning around to find her mother.

 

Lights went on and off continuously, and you could feel the change in place as nurses moved you into another room. You weren't aware of the time, and you didn't really care about the time unless it meant you could get off this bed and see Taekwoon. Someone walked into the room, plugged machines to your body and left the room, leaving you to drawn into the realm of dreams again.

 

The girl was crying, but this time it wasn't a simple scrape on the knee. She was being dragged into the house by a man. You could see glimpses of his face and you finally recognized your father pulling the girl behind him toward her room. He pushed her inside her room, completely ignoring her pleads. 'No! I don't want to go to my room! No! Mommy~! No! Let me go! Mommy~!' He locked her inside her room and you could hear her tiny hands hitting the door repeatedly. Her mother ran upstairs, begging her father to let her go to no avail. 'Let me out! Mommy~! Help me! Mommy~ Taekwoon~!'

 

 

- I just want her to wake up. Baby, just talk to me, talk to daddy.

You could hear your father weeping. I'm not alone anymore! He was talking to someone, not you, there was another person in the room. It was a woman's voice. Nana! She was crying too. You tried getting up, opening your eyes, moving your hands, all to no avail. Your body was still weak, very weak. You tried again and again, but they kept crying and you figured that all your attempts to show them that you can hear them were in vain. Frustration forced tears to roll down the sides of your face. It was the only way you could express that you are here, you are alive.

Upon seeing tears roll down your face, you heard a gasp followed by a warm hand wiping the tears away. A soft lip pressed on your temple made your tears roll again and the weeping started all over again. This lasted for a few hours, more or less, you couldn't tell. But the weeping would faint, and you'd feel like you were taken to another place before the cries would become loud again and you could feel your father and Nana by your side.

 

After continuous attempts to open your eyes or move your body, you could tell you succeeded when you heard your father call your name and your hair. You found yourself looking at him with half-lidded eyes. Your body was still weak, plugs attaching it to a machine on your side preventing you from moving.

- She's awake. Mother, she's awake. Call Hakyeon!

Your father called and then took the seat next to your bed. He continued to your hair, tears running down his face as he asked:

- Are you okay? How do you feel? Does anything hurt?

You looked at him, smiling faintly without being able to speak. Nana walked into the room with a smile on her face. She took the seat on the other side of the bed and you tried turning your face in her direction. She let out a sob as she placed her hand on your face and it gently.

- I thought I lost you.

You gave her a tiny nod. Smiling was more difficult than you remembered. A stinging pain in your lips prevented you from smiling or simply parting your lips. The door was open and you saw Hakyeon entering the room and almost running in your direction. He threw his body on yours and you let out a muffled cry. He pulled himself up and you were shocked to see his swollen face covered in tears.

- I won't let you out of my sight again! Do you hear me? I don't want to lose you!

You tried smiling again, but it hurt more than before. The doctor entered the room greeting you and your family before turning to the monitor on your side. Your father got from his seat and watched the doctor check your condition before asking:

- Is she going to be okay?

- Don't worry. Her condition is stable now. She'll need more time to be able to speak and move. She's been through a lot but she'll be fine.

A nurse walked into the room and placed a drip on the handle near your bed before wiping the back of your hand with a piece of cotton and then pressing the needle against your hand. You winched in pain and Nana held your other hand tightly until the nurse was done. She your hand as she said:

- It'll be over soon, honey.

The doctor left with the nurse and your father went back to his seat, your hair and asking you if you feel better. You were forced into another long sleep without yet knowing if Taekwoon was okay. You wanted to ask your family about him, you wanted to ask the doctor but your body failed you.

 

You didn't know how much time had passed until you could finally open your eyes again, but your father was wearing a different suit and Nana seemed a bit less tired than last time. Hakyeon was still wearing his checkered shirt and you figured that he spent the time with you. He was the first to jump to your side when he saw you trying to lift your body and sit up in bed. It was very difficult to support your body with your arms. You remembered getting your arm squashed under the chair. This is why it hurts to bad, you thought to yourself.

- Easy.

Hakyeon said as he placed a pillow behind your back. You threw your arms around his neck, and he placed his arms around your middle, pulling you up and resting your body against the pillow.

- Thank you.

You whispered in a weak voice.

You looked at the faces surrounding you, and a small smile crept into your lips. You were grateful to have them around you and you could finally feel safe. The horror you'd been through had left its traces on your body but now that you were among your family you knew nothing would harm you again. Hakyeon sat on the edge of the hospital bed and smiled as he said:

- How do you feel?

- Better.

You then gathered your strength and looked at Hakyeon as you mouth the question that had been bothering you for days. You asked him, and the fear of what his answer would be sent shivers down your spine. You asked, but you never thought you were prepared enough to bear the answer.

- Where is Taekwoon?

A deadly silence filled the room, and everything around you stilled. Hakyeon swallowed hard as he averted his eyes away from you.

- Hakyeon...

You almost whispered. Your heart was pounding in your chest and your hands were shaking. Did he not make it? Did I lose him?

You turned to look at Nana. She avoided your stare and looked at your father. Your heart sunk when they all avoided your question. You remembered, very clearly, how he fell on your body, how his blood covered your hands. No, this can't be true. He promised he'll never leave me, he can't leave me now.

- Please.

You almost begged, tears welling up in your eyes. You remembered how he whispered "I love you" before passing out. Are these going to be his last words? Even though none of them answered your question, you could read their expressions for the answer you were afraid to hear, the answer they're afraid to say. Hakyeon looked at you apologetically before getting of the bed and leaving the room. You called his name but your voice was weaker as you chocked on your tears. I lost him. I lost the person who gave my life meaning, from the very beginning. I lost the love of my life. Did I tell him how much I loved him? Did I kiss him enough? Did I...

Tears rolled freely down your face. You lifted your hands up and covered your face as you wept, unable to believe that this was the end. A piercing pain shot through your body and you let out a cry in pain.

- Call the doctor.

Nana yelled and your father jumped from his seat and ran out of the room. The doctor walked into the room a few minutes later to find you in this state. Your body had collapsed into the mattress, tears streaming down your cheeks uncontrollably.

- What happened?

Nobody answered the doctor's question and he called the nurse in and soon you were forced into sleep again, but the pain tugging at your heart didn't sleep. Did I really lose him?