Best Friends

After all this time, it's still you

In your sleep, you saw Taekwoon walking in your direction, a radiating aura surrounding his body. You hesitated for a second before walking toward him. He had a beautiful smile on his face as he extended his arms and pulled you near his heart. You wrapped your arms around his body and inhaled his scent as you rested your head on his chest.

“I love you.”

His voice echoed in your head and you lifted your head up to look at him. You cupped his face as you stared at him dotingly before saying:

“I love you too.”

 

 

You slowly opened your eyes and were met with a deadly silence except for the beeping of the machine near your head. Whiteness surrounded you, and your heart skipped a beat when Taekwoon’s face disappeared. A few seconds passed and you tried to comprehend your surroundings before feeling a piercing pain in your heart when you remembered how you were forced to sleep when you asked about Taekwoon. You tried sitting up in bed only to collapse back on it again. Nana let out a gasp as she jumped from her seat and ran toward you.

“Are you okay? Should I call the doctor?”

You looked at her, eyes filled with tears as you asked:

“Is he…did he…”

Your lips trembled as you tried not to stutter, but you couldn’t say it. She your hair gently without giving you an answer. You closed your eyes, teeth biting into your lips as you prevented tears from rolling down your face.

A knock on the door and the voice of the nurse announcing that Taekwoon had woken up made your heart jump in your chest. Nana let out a sigh in relief and you found yourself struggling to sit up in bed and look at the nurse.

“Is he okay? Please tell me he’s okay, please.”

“He’s doing okay, don’t worry.”

She smiled and you could finally smile, knowing he was alive.

“Can I see him?”

You asked her as she placed a pillow behind your back and motioned you to rest your back on it. Before she could answer your question, you heard your father’s voice as he said:

“See whom?”

The nurse asked you to call her if you needed anything before leaving the room and closing the door behind her. Your father walked in your direction as he repeated his question. You swallowed hard and then said:

“I need to see Taekwoon.”

He sat down on the chair to your right, crossed his legs and then asked:

“Since when have you been going out with him?”

Nana turned to look at him, as if saying “this isn’t the time for this,” but he ignored her as he said:

“Answer me.”

You averted your eyes away from him and remained silent.

“Are you out of your mind? Do you want to disgrace the name of the family?”

You darted your gaze in his direction as you repeated after him in disbelief:

“Disgrace the family?”

Before your father could say anything, Nana interfered:

“Dear, you know how much I love you. And you know how dear he is to me. We're all thankful to him for saving your life. But...”

She paused for a second before exchanging looks with your father and saying:

“But we can't allow this.”

“You know you can't do this. He is our servant. What made you think you could do this to me? to the family?

You father was almost yelling, his face a dark shade of red.

Thankful? I almost got him killed.

“We'll reward him for saving you but that's it! I will not allow you to insult the family.”

Your father added. A stinging pain in your lower lip prevented you from saying anything. The cut in your lip threatened to reopen, and you were forced to remain silent. You wanted to tell them that you know; you know what they did 15 years ago to both of you. But you couldn’t. The taste of blood in your mouth did not allow you to defend him or yourself. You turned around to find the bell. You pressed it and soon the nurse was cleaning the cut before asking you to be more careful.

Hakyeon walked into the room a couple of minutes later to find you staring at the ceiling while Nana sat on your side, holding your hand and patting it lightly.

“What’s wrong?”

Your father looked at him and then got off his seat as he said:

“Nothing. We’re going home. You stay with her.”

He then turned to look at Nana who got off her seat, leaned forward to peck your temple before following him outside the room. Hakyeon sat down on the chair near your bed and held your hand in his before asking:

“Are you okay?”

Tears rolling down your cheeks alarmed him.

“What happened?”

Hakyeon gathered you in his arms and let you sob in his chest as he patted your back gently, unable to understand the reason behind your cries.

“Why are you crying? Are you in pain?”

“T…Taekwoon…”

You stuttered and he immediately said:

“He’s fine! I just came back from the ICU and he’s doing okay. Please don’t cry!”

You pulled out and looked at him. He wiped your tears away as he added:

“His condition is stable now but he’s very tired, he can barely open his eyes.”

Your heart sunk with every word he said and more tears rolled down your face. He cupped your face and printed a kiss on your temple before saying:

“The doctors said he'll be fine. He just needs time to recover, don't worry about him.”

“I want to see him. Please.”

You looked at him, begging him to take you to see Taekwoon. He looked in the direction of the door and then said:

“Your father is waiting outside. He sent Nana alone with the driver and is talking with the police officer.”

“What? Why?”

“They're still investigating your case, to make sure you’re no longer in danger.”

You sniffled and then said:

“Hakyeon. We’ve been through a lot. He was tortured and starved. And it’s all my fault. I have to see him. Please take me to his room, please!”

Your father walked into the room, catching the last part of your sentence.

“You're not going anywhere.”

His voice was loud and harsh. It shocked you that instead of worrying about your condition, he’s worried about you seeing Taekwoon.

“Dad I...”

He interrupted your sentence when he yelled:

“I never thought you'd be this reckless.”

“But dad... I love him.”

“Stop it!”

“Please just listen to me!”

You cried and he yelled again:

“I don't want to hear anything! I won’t allow you to do this to our family. Do you hear me? Forget about and don’t force me to harm him.”

“No! Dad please!”

The nurse ran into the room upon hearing your cried and your father's screams.

“Please sir, she needs to rest. I'm afraid I have to ask you to leave.”

You were sobbing as he left after telling the nurse that you weren't allowed to leave your room. Hakyeon was forced to leave with him in fear of him taking you to see Taekwoon. You were left alone and the nurse came into the room after sending them both out.

“Please take some rest. Don’t let anything upset you. The doctor said you'll be able to leave within three days.”

She turned to leave but you called her and she turned to look at you.

“Yes dear?”

“Did they all family leave?”

“Yes.”

“Can... can I ask you to do me a favor?”

“Sure. How can I help you?”

 

 

Your tears and sobs broke her heart and she left the room only to come back a few minutes later with a wheelchair. Your face lit up when she said she’ll take you to see him. She helped you sit on the wheelchair before taking you out of the room.

As you arrived to the ICU room, she told you that you won't be allowed in for too long and you promised to take a quick look at him and get back to your room. Tears rolled down your face when you saw him lying motionless on his cold bed, tubes going in and out of his body, bruises covering his face and exposed chest, the trace of the cigarette burn still apparent on his shoulder, stitches on his side where the bullet had been. You never imagined you’d see him in this state. He let out a muffled moan and your heart ripped to pieces. You could never forgive yourself for being the reason behind his pain.

The nurse positioned the wheelchair on the right side of his bed. Reaching for his hand, you held it in yours and it gently as your eyes studied his face for a reaction. He fluttered his eyes open and turned his head very slowly in your direction. The look in his eyes tugged at your heart and you felt tears flowing uncontrollably down your cheeks. Tears rolled down the sides of his face when you held his hand and placed it on your cheek.

“Taekwoon, I'm sorry, I’m so sorry. I'll never forgive myself for doing this to you. Please forgive me.”

More tears were rolling down his face and you felt his fingers move on your face; a very slight patting-like movement, but it was enough to make your heart flutter, and your tears to flow freely down your cheeks.

“Please don’t cry. We’ll get over this, I know we will.”

You let your fingers softly rub against his when you felt a hand on your shoulder. You turned around to find the nurse looking at you apologetically.

“I'm sorry but we should leave. You need to go back to your room.”

You nodded before turning back to look at Taekwoon. You brought his hands to your lips, printing a kiss on his palm. He closed his eyes as you placed his hand back on his side, you whispered:

“I’m sorry.”

The nurse pushed your chair toward your room and helped you back on your bed before leaving. You spent the night thinking about Taekwoon and crying every time you remembered his bruised face and stitched body.

 

The two following days passed ever so slowly. Your worries about Taekwoon never lessened, but thanks to Hakyeon and the nurse looking after him, you received updates on his condition regularly. As for your condition, it was getting better with the help of Nana and the medical staff your father hired to look after you. By the end of the second day you were able to leave your bed and walk in the corridor with Nana for a few minutes before returning to your bed.

By the end of the third day the nurse informed you that you'll be discharged from the hospital. Nana was more excited about your discharge than you were. She said she'll go home and come back with clean clothes for you to change in before leaving the hospital. You flashed her a smile as she left the room, but as soon as she was gone, the smile disappeared. Leaving the hospital meant leaving Taekwoon behind and not being able to follow up on his health, something you couldn’t bear.

Once Nana and your father left, Hakyeon sat down next to you as he said:

“Do you feel better now? Do you think you can leave the hospital?”

You nodded. After hesitating for a couple of seconds, you looked at him and asked:

“What about Taekwoon? When is he going to leave?”

“The doctors said he needs a few more days and some checkups before getting discharged. But he'll need someone to look after him when he goes home.”

You let out a sigh and he patted your shoulder before saying:

“Your father almost killed me when he knew I knew you were seeing Taekwoon.”

“I'm sorry.”

You said faintly and the corners of his lips lifted up in a smile as he ruffled your hair and said:

“Don't apologize, they’ll know sooner or later. What matters is that you’re both okay.”

“Thank you.”

You said in a whisper and then added:

“I need your help.”

He looked at you, waiting for you to continue:

“I… I know my father said I won't be allowed to see him anymore. But... I can't.”

You were starting to tear up so he said:

“I know this is going to be difficult for you but you have to consider all the things your father has been through to prevent this from happening.”

“But I can't leave him, not now, not ever. I love him, Hakyeon, I really do.”

He cupped your face and wiped your tears with his thumb as he said:

“Then just give him some time to understand that. He was so worried about you and he can't risk losing you again. As for Taekwoon, I was thinking about hiring a nurse to look after him when he leaves. He needs someone to be around him for a while until he fully recovers.”

“A nurse? But... I wanted to look after him myself.”

“That will be a bit difficult considering you're still recovering yourself. Once you get better I'll think of something and take you to see him myself, okay?”

He ruffled your hair again before taking you in his arms. You buried your face in his chest as you said:

“Thank you. Thank you so much!”

 

 

 

 

When you went back home, you found your family waiting for your arrival. They were worried about you, receiving you with hugs and kisses and asking you if you were fine. You appreciated their concern but you were too tired to answer the questions they bombarded you with. After sitting with them for as long as you could, you excused yourself and went upstairs toward your room. You needed to rest your body and your mind. While you and Taekwoon were equally suffering, your family only cared about you, completely ignoring Taekwoon who had spent longer years with them. None of them asked about him, and none of them seemed to care. You spent the night tossing and turning in bed. Sleep couldn't find its way to your eyes as you thought about Taekwoon lying on that hospital bed in a room lacking all means of comfort and warmth, while you were safely sleeping in your comfortable bed, among your family. Life is too harsh.

 

A week passed awfully slowly as you spent it between your room and the living room, your phone never leaving your side as Hakyeon kept sending you regular updates on Taekwoon’s condition. You appreciated his help and you thought it was his way of expressing the feelings of guilt toward Taekwoon. He never told you what happened to his friendship with Taekwoon after you left, neither of them did, and you were left to assume that his parents prevented him from playing with Taekwoon or simply talking to him. There was coldness in their relationship and you doubted that it had anything to do with you.

During the weekend and while spending the day in your room, you heard a knock on your door. Jumping from your bed, you asked:

“Who is it?”

Instead of identifying himself, the person behind the door said:

“Taekwoon is home.”

You opened the door hurriedly and found Hakyeon standing in front of you with a smile on his face.

“Are you serious?”

He nodded and you immediately threw your arms around his neck. He hugged you tightly as he patted your back. You whispered:

“Thank you!”

You pulled out and looked at him before saying:

“Can you take me to him?”

“Now?”

He asked.

“Yes! I can't wait to see him.”

“But… Nana and your dad…”

“Please!”

You almost begged. He thought for a second and then asked:

“Did you have lunch yet?”

“No.”

“Okay then, go get dressed. I’m taking you out for lunch.”

You gawked at him. Who said anything about lunch now?

“Hakyeon, please! I am not even hungry I just want to see him!”

He chuckled and ruffled your hair before saying:

“That’s what we’ll tell Nana you idiot. We’ll just say we’re out for lunch.”

Your eyes widened in surprise as you stared at him before asking:

“Are you serious? Would you… would you really do that for me?”

He frowned.

“What kind of a question is this?”

A tiny blush crept into your cheeks as you explained:

“I mean… what if you get in trouble…”

“Just get dressed before I change my mind.”

You hugged him again as you said:

“Thank you!”

He pulled out and looked at you with a smile on his face before saying:

“Meet me down stairs in 10. I’ll go talk to Nana.”

You got dressed in less than 10 minutes before going downstairs hurriedly, unable to hide your excitement. You couldn’t wait anymore. Spending all this time away from Taekwoon especially when he needed you the most was beyond difficult, and you were thankful for Hakyeon to take you to see him after all this time.

When you went downstairs you found Hakyeon waiting for you. You looked at him and mouthed "Nana" and he gave you a tiny nod before saying:

“I'm starving! Let's go!”

“Have fun!”

Nana said as she gave you a pat on the back. You turned around to find her standing behind you.

“I'm glad you're finally leaving your room. Enjoy your time.”

She said before pecking your temple. You felt slightly guilty for lying to her but Hakyeon pulled your hand urging you to leave.

 

 

 

As you were on your way to Taekwoon’s apartment, you turned to look at Hakyeon before saying:

“Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

You hesitated for a second before asking:

“Why aren’t you friends with Taekwoon anymore?”

He glanced at you and then said:

“I told you. It was difficult to be friends with him while he served me and my family.”

“That’s not a good reason.”

You said without looking at him. You were sure there was another reason. They could still be friends while Taekwoon worked for them. You could never understand your family’s prejudice against servants.

Hakyeon seemed to take his time thinking of an answer. You waited patiently for his answer and he finally took a deep breath and then said:

“You are the reason.”

You glanced at him and he continued:

“I blamed him for your departure. I blamed him for your mother’s death. If it wasn’t for him, you’d both be with you, that’s what I thought every time I saw him.”

“It wasn’t his fault!”

You defended him. If it was anybody’s mistake, it was your family’s. You and Taekwoon didn’t do anything wrong. Being in love isn’t wrong, you thought as you continued to look at him in shock.

“But I shouldn’t have.”

He added, only to raise your curiosity.

“While I could see you in summer, he was left at home to suffer the loss of the only friends he ever had. I never understood his pain, and I wish I did.”

You placed your hand on his shoulder, giving it a tiny pat before saying:

“He never spoke badly about you. He cherished your friendship and I’m sure things will take a better turn from now on.”

He smiled and gave you a tiny nod as he pulled over in front of the apartment building as he said:

“Shall we go see him?”

 

 

 

 

On your way to Taekwoon’s apartment, you ran into the landlady.

“You're Taekwoon's girlfriend, right?”

She asked as she looked at you in concern and you figured she must have heard of what happened. You nodded and she added, confirming your assumptions:

“I heard the news of what happened. I'm really glad you both came out safe.”

“Thank you.”

You said before introducing her to Hakyeon.

“This is Hakyeon, our friend.”

She shook his hand as she smiled before saying:

“Nice to meet you. You're here to see Taekwoon, aren't you?”

You nodded and she said:

“Go ahead. The nurse is there with him.”

You turned to look at Hakyeon who said:

“I told you I'll hire a nurse.”

You whispered a 'Thank you' as you bid the landlady farewell and turned toward Taekwoon’s apartment. You knocked on his door and waited a few seconds until the door was open. You were greeted with a male nurse who smiled at you before looking at Hakyeon and saying:

“Why didn’t you tell me you’re coming?”

You exchanged looks with them and then asked:

“Do you know each other?”

“Yes. He’s a friend of mine.”

Hakyeon said and then walked into the apartment. You followed, your eyes roaming the place looking for Taekwoon. You found him sitting up in his bed as he rested his back on the headboard. It seemed that the nurse was changing the dressing of his injuries since you could see the kit resting on the coffee table near Taekwoon’s bed.

As soon as he saw you, he extended his arm, motioning you to get closer to him. You ran toward him, throwing your body on his and hugging him tightly. Your tears were faster than your words. They were flowing freely down your cheeks as you wrapped your arms around Taekwoon's body. Your hand accidently brushes against one the stitches on his side, and he frowned in pain but didn't move as he put his arm around you, patting your back gently.

“I'll come back in 2 hours. Call me if you need anything.”

The nurse said and Taekwoon gave him a tiny nod before thanking him. Hakyeon then looked at you and Taekwoon before saying:

“Welcome back.”

Taekwoon looked at him in slight confusion before answering:

“Thank you.”

“I'll wait in the car.”

“Hakyeon.”

Taekwoon called his name and he turned around to look at him.

“Thank you for letting me see her, and… thank you for hiring the nurse. I really appreciate it.”

“Don’t mention it.”

He then turned around and left the room. Taekwoon continued patting your back and your hair, letting you wet his chest with your tears. When you pulled out and looked at him, you found him staring at you dotingly. He smiled and you couldn’t smile back as you noticed the dark circles under his eyes and the bruises still apparent on his face. 

“I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.”

He cupped your face and let his thumb brush against your cheek, wiping your tears away.

“I'm okay now. Please, don't cry.”

“This is all my fault. I'm sorry.”

The corners of his lips lifted up in a smile as he pushed a lock of hair behind your ear and said:

“We're both safe and you're here with me. That's all that matters to me.”

He then leaned forward and pecked your temple before pulling out and looking at you.

“I missed you.”

“I missed you too! I missed you so much! I was so worried about you but... but dad knows we're seeing each other and he didn't let me stay... he didn't let me see you and I should have... I should have...”

You blurted out and soon were sobbing again. Remembering how suffered alone broke your heart. You hated that you couldn’t be with him, you couldn’t look after him when he’d been looking after you ever since you arrived. You hated that you were so helpless.

He placed his index on your lips, interrupting you midsentence.

“None of this matters as long as we’re together now. We’ll figure something out but right now all I care about is you. I’ve been dying to know if you’re safe, if you’re doing well. Thanks to Hakyeon, I could finally sleep at night knowing he was looking after you when I couldn’t.”

You stared at him in confusion, so he added:

“He’s been visiting me a lot in the hospital and the nurse is his friend, so… they were both updating me on your condition and… I really appreciate his help.”

He did what?

“He’s such a good friend. I… I wish we never grew apart.”

He said and then looked at you:

“I missed you.”

“I missed you too.”

He pulled you into his embrace again and you closed your eyes as you relaxed in his hold, your arm around his middle and his around your shoulder, and you’d never felt safer.