Memories

After all this time, it's still you

As soon as Hakyeon left your room and went to his, Taekwoon called you. He was waiting for Hakyeon to leave before he could talk to you, not wanting to make the situation worse. You picked up as you wiped your tears away.

- Are you okay?

He asked in concern, and you hummed in response, so he asked again:

- What did Hakyeon say? Did he... did he say if he's really going to tell your father?

You let out a sigh and then said:

- He... he made me promise not to talk to you again.

He somehow figured Hakyeon would at least tell you to stay away from him. He was aware of how sensitive the situation was, and he knew where exactly he stood in this house. After a relatively long pause, he said:

- Listen, I understand if... if you're re-considering our relationship... I'm willing to do whatever you want.

- Why would you say that?

You asked, sensing helplessness and defeat in his voice.

- I... your father would never let me near you. He... he probably hates me and he will never allow us to be together. I... I'd never want to take you away from your family.

- Taekwoon... I love you! I really do! And I'm old enough to know what this means.

Your answer warmed his heart. No matter how anxious he was, your words soothed his heart. He smiled to himself and then asked:

- Then... what shall we do about Hakyeon?

You giggled. It seemed that he always had to worry about Hakyeon.

- We'll figure out something. We just have to be a bit more careful. I don't think he'll let us alone and he'll definitely be watching us closely from now on.

He thought for a couple of seconds and then said hesitantly:

- I... I've already figured out something.

- What?

You asked in curiosity, wondering what plan he came up with in such a short time. It hadn't been half an hour since you'd been busted by Hakyeon and it made you wonder if he somehow saw it coming.

- I'm planning to move out.

- Move out?

You repeated, in an attempt to comprehend what he'd just said. It never crossed your mind that he'd leave this house. No matter how many times he talked about not wanting to be a servant anymore, leaving the house wasn't a part of the image.

- Yes. I'll graduate in a couple of months. I'll start working full time at the coffee shop next month and I have some money saved. It'll be enough to rent a studio apartment till I graduate and get a better job. I... I actually found an apartment already. It's just a block away from the coffee shop. The landlady was nice enough to postpone the first payment till I move in. I was going to show it to you but... this happened and...

- Wait wait...

You interrupted him when he was saying too much for you to comprehend.

- I don't get anything. You're moving out? When were you planning to tell me?

- I just needed to finalize everything before I tell you. I don't want to stay here anymore.

- But.. What about me?

- I am doing this for us! I am not letting go of you, I'm just letting go of this situation. When I'm no longer working here then we won't be afraid to tell everybody that we're together.

You remained silent, trying to take everything in. When you didn't give him an answer, he called your name in concern.

- I didn't expect you to move out.

- It won't make a difference. I'd still come to see you whenever you want to and we can meet anywhere you want without any worries.

You took a deep breath and then said:

- I... Do whatever suits you.

- Are you... are you mad at me?

He asked. You couldn't deny that you were upset, but you tried your best to understand his point of view. He needed this, he definitely did and you felt obliged to support his desire to set himself free.

- No but... this isn't easy for me. I just need time to take it all in.

He let out a sigh and then said:

- Don't worry about this now. Get some sleep and we'll talk about it later.

- Okay.

- Good night.

- Good night.

 

 

You hung up and sat on your bed, your knees drawn up to your chest as you thought about everything that happened. When did I get too attached to Taekwoon? You asked yourself. You were slowly starting to like him when you realized how much care and attention he was giving you, how sweet he was to you, how much love you could see in his eyes. You thought it was the constant dreams that were making you wake up looking for him for no apparent reason. Everyday you'd feel more attached to him, clingier to him without understanding why. When Hakyeon caught you with him in the kitchen your heart dropped. When he yelled at Taekwoon and pulled you behind him, locking you in your room, you felt like this was a moment of Deja Vu. You knew you had to lie to him to avoid any further complications, but Taekwoon's phone call made things worse. To hear him say that he wanted to move out broke your heart. You hated that he felt obliged to stay away from you. To move out meant he will no longer have to serve anyone, but it also meant that your chances to see him and spend time with him will lessen. You lay down and decided to get some sleep since you couldn't do anything about this situation.

 

 

You woke up the following morning and went to work, trying to keep your thoughts focused on fulfilling your part of the current research. You were fascinated by the results your coworkers had reached and it made you feel that you need to put more effort into your work to achieve half of what they'd achieved so far.

It was a long tiring day, especially since Taekwoon had decided not to call you, assuming that you were mad at him. You wanted to talk to him, but you needed time to rearrange your thoughts. A part of you was worried that Hakyeon would really tell your father about you and Taekwoon. However, when you saw your father and Nana at lunch, they both seemed unaware of anything.

 

You spent the rest of the day in your room, thinking of the complicated situation you'd gotten into. You hadn't forgotten about Hongbin's request to meet you again, which only added to your worries. If he decides to officially propose, things will get more complicated than they already are. Hakyeon would definitely be delighted by the news. I need to talk to Taekwoon about this, you thought to yourself. You looked at the clock hanging on the wall. You will need to wait until everybody is asleep to be able to talk to him. Phone calls won't suffice in talking about such a matter and you really needed to see him. But then you'll need to figure out a way to avoid running into Hakyeon.

 

 

After long, boring hours, you got off bed, put on a light jacket before leaving your room. It was past midnight, everybody had gone to his room after dinner and it was finally the time for you to leave your room. You were sure Hakyeon would be watching you, but you weren't going to the kitchen anyway. You had sent Taekwoon a message to meet you in the garden. You still remembered Hakyeon's fear of the dark and this was your chance to get away from him.

As soon as you closed the door behind you, you heard another door open and you knew it was Hakyeon. You let out a sigh as you climbed down the stairs, ignoring his calls. He ran after you and grabbed your arm as he said:

- Where are you going?

You stared at him for a second and then pulled your arm away.

- I need some fresh air.

- Don't lie to me.

- I am not lying.

- Just open the window in your room and you'll get all the fresh air you want.

- You don't tell me what to do.

He grabbed your wrist again.

- This is wrong!

- I told you I just need fresh air. I am not going to see him. Now let me go.

He slowly let go of your wrist and watched you climb the stairs toward the kitchen. He followed you and almost sighed in relief when you skipped the kitchen on your way to the garden. He waited a few more seconds to make sure that you weren't trying to fool him before going back to his room.

 

You turned around as soon as you stepped out of the house to check if Hakyeon was still following you. You saw a tall figure walk in your direction. Your heart skipped a beat when the figure extended his arms and took longer strides in your direction. The corners of your lips lifted up in a smile when you realized it was Taekwoon. You met him half way and he took you in his embrace, wrapping his arms around your body. You buried your face in his chest and wrapped your arms around his middle.

- I missed you.

He almost whispered.

- I missed you too!

He your back and hair and you stilled in his arms, indulging in the warmth of his body. When you finally pulled out, you saw a beautiful smile adorning his face. He leant forward and printed a kiss on your temple before saying:

- I didn't mean to hide it from you. I swear I was going to tell you but... things kept getting in my way and I...

- I understand.

You interrupted him, and his smile grew bigger.

- Which is why I love you.

He said and you giggled. He held your hand in his as he asked:

- Shall we walk around for a bit? I don't want to let go of you yet.

You nodded as you laced your fingers with his.

- We spent most of our childhood here.

He said after a couple of minutes. You looked at him and found a content smile on his face. You turned to look in front of you at nothing in particular until your eyes were fixed on the tree house. The dream you had a while ago popped in your head. You could still remember it very vividly and you suddenly felt the urge to see for yourself, whether it was a memory or a dream.

- There is something I need to see.

You said, your eyes still fixed on the tree house. You let go of his hand and walked hurriedly in the direction of the tree house and he followed you, wondering what it was that had suddenly caught your attention.

- What is it?

- I'll tell you in a minute.

You stood under the tree house for a couple of seconds, taking a deep breath and wondering how seeing the insides of the tree house would make you feel.

- Just tell me what it is.

Taekwoon said and you turned to look at him before saying:

- Patience and you'll know everything.

You climbed the few stairs up to the entrance of the tree house and he followed you. You entered it, bowing slightly to avoid hitting your head with the ceiling. You took your phone out and the flash light. Looking around the place stirred something inside you. You could swear you heard faint, childish giggles that made the corners of your lips lift up in a smile. Taekwoon placed his hand on your shoulder as he asked:

- Are you remembering something?

You nodded. You looked around until you found what you were looking for. You walked up to one of the corners where a relatively large box rested untouched for almost 15 years. You knelt down next to the box and moved it slightly to the side. Taekwoon called your name but you were too focused on the wall behind the box. You brought your phone closer to where you thought you'd find what you're looking for. Your face lit up when your hands touched the engravings. It's real! You thought to yourself before turning to look at Taekwoon. His eyes were teary and he had a sad smile on his face. He asked in a shaking voice:

- You remembered?

- I think I did.

He pulled you into his arms and buried his face in the crook of your neck. He was sobbing, much to your surprise. You patted his back lightly and waited for his sobs to cease before pulling out and looking at him.

- Taekwoon...

- Do you know how long I waited for you to remember... anything?

- But you always said it didn't matter.

- I... I just didn't want to pressure you about it. The first time I kissed you... after you came back...I... I thought you'd remember something... anything about our first kiss.

You placed your hand on his cheek as you said:

- We did it here, didn't we?

He looked at you lovingly as he tried to prevent his tears from flowing down his face again and then said:

- Yes.

- And we are here now. After all these years, we’re back to where we started.

- We are.

- Then kiss me. Let's pretend we've never been apart.

He cupped your face as he whispered:

- I love you.

- I love you too. Now kiss me.

He slowly leaned forward and it was torturing you how many seconds passed before you could feel the warmth of his lips on yours. He kissed you with a yearning tugged deep inside him. Maybe it was his 13 years old self, the one who'd been so taken by you years ago.

You parted your lips allowing him access and his tongue found its way inside your mouth. He tasted of coffee and forgotten memories and you were losing control over your body as you surrendered to him. His hands were now traveling down your sides as he let go of your lips and moved down your neck and collarbones. He whispered 'I love you' between his kisses and you smiled as you tangled your fingers in his hair.

After what felt like forever, he looked at you, the love he held for the past 15 years making his eyes sparkle.

- I love you. I never stopped loving you and I will never stop loving you.

He cupped your face and kissed you again.

- I should go. Hakyeon is probably looking for us.

- I don't want to let go of you.

You cradled his face in your hands as you said:

- I promised Hakyeon I won't speak to you again... I don't want him to harm you in any possible way. We'll have to endure it for a bit more.

- I'd endure anything for you.

- When will you move?

- After the wedding.

- But that's... 3 weeks from now!

He pecked your lips again as he said:

- I'm sorry. I'll call you every day. I'll text you all day long. We can come here whenever you want, but after that nobody can control us and we can meet whenever you want.

- Taekwoon...

- Yes?

- I love you.

 

 

You walked into the house hurriedly, trying to get to your room before running into Hakyeon. He caught you entering the house after leaving the tree house with Taekwoon. Taekwoon entered the house from the back door, avoiding him and you were glad he didn't see him. Hakyeon blocked your way as he asked:

- Where have you been?

- I told you I went out for some fresh air.

- You took too long. Where have you been?

- Hakyeon, stop it. Stop interrogating me every time you see me. I was around and no I didn't see Taekwoon.

You pulled your jacket up trying to cover the love marks Taekwoon left on your neck.

- I'm sorry, but I'm doing this for your own sake.

- I can take a very good care of myself, thank you!

You left him standing there and went back to your room not wanting him to ruin your mood. You didn't want to forget about the taste of Taekwoon's lips on yours, the feeling of them on your neck, the feeling of his hands on your back and sides. You went to bed, hugging your pillow and thinking about everything he said, everything he did, and knowing it was everything you ever wanted. He texted you as soon as you entered your room, wishing you a good night and following it with a kiss, and you could feel your cheeks heat up again.

 

 

You'd spend every day texting or calling each other whenever you were alone in your room or during the lunch break. You'd wait patiently for him to call and you'd feel your heart skip a beat when your phone starts vibrating and his name would appear on your screen. Sneaking into a storage room, you'd pick up and answer in whispers. He'd ask about your day, if you've eaten your lunch, drank enough water, took a rest, and if you met any new people - indirectly trying to know if you met any guys specifically. You loved the way he looked after you and asked you if you missed him to which you'd say 'yes' every single day. You missed him, very much, and you could tell he missed you by the way he whispered in your ears every night before you'd fall asleep with your phone in your hand. You were dying to sneak into the kitchen after midnight to see him and he tried to go to your room several times, but each time you left your room you'd find Hakyeon sitting in the living room pretending to read the newspaper or a book or just sitting there watching T.V. You knew he was doing this in an attempt to make sure you and Taekwoon never have the chance to meet at all. He didn't know you've already exchanged numbers. But text messages and phone calls were never enough, especially when he was in the same house as you, sitting downstairs while you were upstairs in your room wishing to lay your eyes on him instead of on his name on the screen.

 

After that night in the tree house, he had told you that the box in your dream existed too. It was his birthday gift to you, but he wasn't sure if you'd taken it with you when you traveled. When you failed to remember, he assured you that it was fine and that he'll get you a real necklace for your next birthday.

The following morning you asked Mrs. Jung about Taekwoon's birthday, wanting to get him something first. You were surprised to know that his birthday was the following week. You had a couple of days to think of something to surprise him. Mrs. Jung had mentioned that he didn't have anybody to celebrate his birthday with. She and the rest of the servants gathered and got him a cake every year but he never showed any interest in celebrating his birthday, as if it never mattered to him.

Everything was easy to prepare. You had asked for a small fridge to be installed in your room where you'd hide the cake. You also bought him a gift and hid it in your closer. The main problem was Hakyeon. You had to figure out a way to send him away.

You waited until his birthday to order the cake and hid it in your fridge. You were surprised when he didn't mention anything about his birthday when you spoke to him that morning. It hurt you that he showed no signs of celebrating it even on his own. This made you more persistent on celebrating it with him even if you had to fight for it.

 

While having dinner with your family, you looked around and noticed that Hakyeon wasn't around.

- Where is Hakyeon? Is he sick or something?

You asked Nana.

- No, he's fine. He said he's spending the night at his friend's place.

You almost let out a sigh when you knew he wasn't going to be home tonight. You had a stupid grin on your face that you struggled to hide as you ate your dinner in silence, thinking of a way to call Taekwoon to your room without raising his suspicions.

 

You waited until midnight and prepared the candle, the cake and the perfume you bought him yesterday before calling him. He picked up immediately.

- Taekwoon! Spider... in my room! Come quickly.

- I'm coming!

He hung up and you let out a laugh before calming yourself down and waiting for him at the door. You switched the lights off and waited for him. He barged into the room with a bug swatter and a bug spray as he said:

- Where is it?

You pulled him inside the room and closed the door as you started singing him ‘Happy Birthday' while giggling at the expression on his face. He dropped both the swatter and the spray in shock. You could barely see his face in the light of the candle but it still looked funny. He had his mouth open as he stared at the cake in disbelief. He remained like this for a couple of seconds until you finished the song. He turned to look at you and pulled you in his arms as he whispered:

- Thank you. Thank you so much!

You patted his back gently when you felt his body shaking. He's crying!

- Taekwoon!

You called his name softly surprised that he was crying at such a time.

- I can't remember the last time I celebrated my birthday.

You felt a tear roll down your cheek at his endless sobs. You tightened your hold around his body and continued to pat his back until he stopped crying. You turned the lights on and he immediately hid his face with his hands. You pulled his hands down and cupped his face as you stared at the tears streaking his cheeks. You wiped his tears with your thumb before pecking his lips and both his cheeks.

- I'm so sorry. This is all my parents' fault. But I promise, I'll make it up to you.

He shook his head 'no' but you continued:

- From now on we'll celebrate your birthdays together. I promise.

 

 

 

It took him a couple more minutes to calm down and stop crying. His eyes were puffy and red but he tried his best to draw a smile on his face as he sat with you on the floor of your room. The candle was melting so you urged him to make a wish and blow the candle. He closed his eyes and smiled and you figured he was making his wish already. He held your hand in his tightly and pulled it toward his lips before printing a peck on the back of it. When he opened his eyes, he blew the candle and then looked at you as he said:

- Do you want to know what I wished for?

- Is that okay? I thought it would bring you bad luck.

He was still holding your hand. He looked at you for a few seconds and then said:

- I don't care as long as I have you.

Your cheeks turned pink as you said:

- Then tell me.

- I wished that we'd be together, forever.

You stared at him lovingly as you said:

- We will.

You then turned to look at the cake:

- Shall we eat?

 

 

 

If there was anything new you found out about Taekwoon in the last couple of minutes was that he loved cake. He probably loved cake more than he loved you. As soon as you brought the cake closer to him he started the frosting off his fingers. The strawberries were long gone by the time you cut him a piece. It astonished you that he ate his piece in less than two minutes and asked you to cut him another one. When the cake was gone, you were on the floor laughing at the pout on his face as he counted the months till his next birthday.

- I'll get you another one tomorrow.

You said as you sat down on the edge of your bed. He giggled shyly before saying:

- You don't have to. I can wait till your birthday.

You laughed again as you lay down on your bed, placing your hand on your tummy.

- I'm so full.

- There is one last bite left though.

He said and was suddenly hovering over you. He wiped his finger on your forehead and started laughing as you stared at him in confusion. You traced where his finger touched your face and let out a grunt when you saw frosting on your finger.

- I will kill you!

You jumped off bed and grabbed the tissue box before wiping the frosting off your face and finger.

- I'm sticky!

You grabbed your pillow and threw it at him. He dodged it and let it fall on the floor before grabbing it and aiming it at you. You grabbed another pillow and were about to throw it but then stopped.

- Wait Taekwoon I think I'll throw up.

You whined as you placed your hand on your tummy and walked towards him with a frown on your face.

- Are you okay?

He let go of the pillow in his hand and extended his arms for you to lean on him but then you stood upright and smacked his face with the pillow before running away from him.

- Please... let’s...stop. I'm... tired.

You said between your giggles as you lay down on bed again. He walked up to you and sat down next to you. You suddenly remembered.

- Ah! I bought you a gift!

You said as you sat up but he pushed you down and hovered over you. He was staring at you and you found yourself blushing as you stuttered:

- I... the gift.

He leaned forward, pecked your lips and then whispered:

- You are my gift.

He kissed your lips again and you gave in to him. He placed his hands on both sides of your body as he deepened the kiss. He pulled out to catch his breath before leaning forward again and printing a kiss on your jaw. He moved up a bit and on your earlobe before peppering your jaw and neck with short kisses. Your body was tingling and your toes curled as he continued to print kisses down your neck and collarbone. He pulled out and stared at you. You looked at him with a smile on your face. You stilled for a few seconds, staring at each other lovingly until he said:

- If you keep looking at me like that I won't be able to stop myself.

Your body shivered and your cheeks turned bright red as you said:

- I don't want you to stop.

He printed a chaste kiss on your temple before sitting up. You sat up facing him, wondering what made him stop suddenly. He placed a hand on your cheek as he said:

- I love you, and I want you, I really do.

He paused for a second and then continued:

- But... I can't... I can't do this here, or now.

- Why not?

You laid your hand on his chest, feeling the steady beat of his pulse. He placed his hand on yours and then said:

- I need to make sure I deserve you first. When I... when I have you and give myself to you, I want to know it's what you want as well. When I make love to you, I want it to be in my place.

Your cheeks were burning as you smiled shyly at him. He pulled you into his arms and kissed your shoulder as he said:

- I know I can't bring back time. I can't bring back all those years we spent apart. But I promise, I'll give you better years. We'll create better memories, together.

- And I can't wait.