Home

After all this time, it's still you

As soon as the flight captain announced that the plane will be landing soon, you took a deep breath and looked at the person sleeping next to you. You nudged his shoulder gently and whispered in his ear, not wanting to startle him: 

- Dad. We're landing. 

Your father started moving slowly. He opened his eyes and lifted his head off your shoulder before looking through the window at the landscape beneath the plane getting closer, looking like a colored map. He hated flights and preferred to sleep through the flight, asking you to wake him up when the plane was landing. You, on the other hand, preferred reading books and only slept when you felt sleep taking over your eyes.

You looked through the window again, your heart pounding with anticipation as the ground was starting to get closer with every second. It has been almost 15 years since you left home and moved abroad with your father following the death of your mother. You couldn't remember much of the life you spent home before the accident you and your mother have been through. The doctors said that the loss of your memory was a result of the accident. They also said that it was possible that memories could come back to you, but for 15 years nothing came back. It was as if the first 12 years of your life were a silent, blurry movie where the characters and the memories of them are vague. The only people you remembered were the people who visited you and your father frequently after moving abroad and stayed in contact with you during the past 15 years. Those were Hakyeon, your childhood friend, your maternal grandmother, or Nana as you liked calling her, and Uncle Kim, Hakyeon's father and your father's best friend and partner. Nana stayed with you for a couple of years before going back home after falling ill and needing someone to look after her, uncle Kim would visit every once in a while during his business trips, and Hakyeon spent every summer with you and your father so you were always able to catch up on things you did during the school year.  

 

You stood up and helped your father get off his seat as his assistant helped carry the backpack you brought along. You were soon breathing the air of home. You've always wondered how it would feel to go back home after all this time. You thought that it won't stir many feelings in you since you couldn't remember much of it, but to your surprise, you could feel tears flow down your cheeks the minute you stepped out of the plane and into the airport. You wiped your tears away as you felt your father rest his hand on your shoulder. 

- I missed it too. 

You looked at the smile on his face and took a deep breath before proceeding to look for your luggage and take the car home. 

 

The ride home took almost an hour. The family's driver was waiting for your arrival. He told you that the whole family was waiting for you. You heard him speak with someone on the phone telling them you were on your way home and that the 'party' should start. You didn't expect a party but your father told you how proud the family was of you having graduated from a very prestigious university with honors. Your specialization was rare and the number of students competing to achieve what you have accomplished was huge, but you were chosen for your excellent record, making your father and your family proud of you. 

 

In the family mansion lived Nana, the children and grandchildren of her sister; Uncle Kim and his family. It was Nana's wish to gather the whole family in one house. Uncle Kim was Nana's nephew and your mother's first cousin which made Hakyeon your second cousin. The rest of the family were Uncle Kim's brothers and sisters and their children. Your mother was Nana's only child and you were your parents only child as well. Uncle Kim and your father were best friends and their wives were also good friends, and you and Hakyeon were almost inseperable. Those were the only relatives you remembered. You were worried you'd embarrass your father or yourself if you were to meet a family member and fail to remember their name. 

 

Arriving at the family's mansion, you found Nana and Hakyeon's mother waiting for you. You threw yourself into Nana's embrace as soon as you could, trying to take in as much as you could of her scent. You've missed her very much since you haven't seen her in a couple of years after she fell sick. Hakyeon's mother hugged you tightly when Nana turned to hug your father. She patted your back and led you inside the house as your luggage was carried by one of the butlers. As soon as you entered the house, you saw a lot of unfamiliar faces that were supposed to be familiar. Your heart clenched as you tried to recognize any of them until Hakyeon popped in your face and saved you by taking your hand and introducing you to every single person present. He acted like your assistant and called the person by their name before they could ask you if you remembered them. He knew you couldn't remember much and you appreciated his attempt to help you avoid any possible embarrassment.

 

A couple of hours of chatting, drinking, hugging and kissing a new family member every couple of minutes, dinner was served. You were seated between your father and Hakyeon, surrounded by the rest of the family. Your grandmother was seated at the head of the table, next to her were Hakyeon's parents, his aunt and her husband, their daughter and her fiancé, next to them his second aunt, her husband and their children, and a couple more distant cousins you couldn't remember. The maids served dinner and drinks and chats continued over dinner on how much you were missed, how many years have passed, and how much you have grown up to look like your mother. 

 

While eating and chatting you heard Nana and Hakyeon's mother speak of your friendship with Hakyeon several times. You two were very close to each other, sometimes you felt like he was your older brother, always taking care of you and looking after you. But you knew they didn't mean it this way. After dinner, you walked up to Hakyeon and asked him if he also noticed their continuous chats and glances in your direction; and he said he did. 

- My mother thinks we should get married. 

He directly answered and you raised an eyebrow and stared at him in confusion. You never thought your name and Hakyeon would be brought up together in the topic of marriage. 

- Get married? You're joking right?

- No.

He said calmly. He then sipped his drink and continued:

- My mother thinks we're very compatible and she wants you to stay here with us, so Nana suggested we get married to each other. 

- But.. I didn't come back to get married. I am not even thinking about getting married, not to you and not to anyone else at the moment. 

- Me neither.

You looked at him again, confused. He smiled and placed his drink on the table before saying: 

- I told you about their plan, not about mine. I'm listening to their suggestions just like you are. This doesn't mean I agree with them. 

You sighed in relief so he said: 

- But I might consider it. 

You darted your gaze in his direction and he burst out laughing at the expressions on your face. You punched his side before noticing one of the male servants gazing in your direction. He was a tall, young man, with an unreadable, yet handsome, face. You couldn't remember seeing him before, and you had no idea why he was staring at you and Hakyeon but as soon as he noticed you looking at him he retreated and went back to mind his own business. 

Hakyeon tickled you in response to your punch and you started laughing before noticing the servant darting his gaze in your direction and you could see the expressions on his face change before he left the room and walked toward the kitchen. Your condusion increased but you brushed it off when you assumed that he was just surprised with the way you acted around Hakyeon or was bothered by the loud laughter. 

- I need to sleep. 

You yawned. Hakyeon stood up and said:

- Let me take you to your old room.

He took you upstairs to where your room was. You looked around the corridors and couldn't remember anything of what you saw. The whole scene was unfamiliar to you and you were starting to worry about entering your room and not remembering a thing. He led you to your old room and you gulped as he opened the door and let you in. As soon as you entered you could see frames holding some pictures of you and your parents hanging on the wall next to your bed. 

- Do you remember any of this? 

Hakyeon asked and put his hand on your shoulder. You shook your head 'No' as your eyes continued to look at the frames. He gave your shoulder a light squeeze before saying: 

- Maybe if you stay here for a while you'll be able to remember something. It doesn't matter if you don't, we're still here for you, so don't pressure yourself. Okay? 

He kissed your temple and wished you a good night before leaving the room and closing the door. You walked in the direction of your bed and threw your exhausted body over it. The flight, the party, and the dinner have drained you of your energy and left you no time to look around the house or your room as sleep slowly crawled into your eyes. You had no idea when did you fall asleep but you woke up to Nana's serenading in your ear and tears flowing down your cheeks. 

- This is the lullaby your mother used to sing to you to sleep when you were a baby.

You wiped your tears away as you sat up in bed and took her hands in yours:

- I know. My father used to sing it to me when we moved. 

- We missed you so much.

Nana said before printing a warm kiss on your temple. 

- Breakfast is ready. We're all waiting for you. Get ready and meet me downstairs. 

She got off bed and left you to change. Trying not to keep them wait any longer, you took a quick shower, opened your bags in a haste trying to find something to wear and ended up wearing the same clothes you wore last night since everything you had needed ironing and you had no idea where the iron was or what to do in such a situation. 

 

You went downstairs and indeed found the whole family sitting at the dining table waiting for you. Your father motioned you to hurry and you walked faster until you sat down next to him and Hakyeon. You looked around and saw everybody seated exactly the way they were last night. Apparently, each person has a specific seat assigned for him/her and they should stick to it. Weird. You sat down, greeted your father and Hakyeon and went on to say good morning to the rest of the family. Nana motioned one of the maids and breakfast was served. 

 

You ate your breakfast in silence, thinking about this bizarre place you called home. While staying abroad with your father you were served by a housekeeper who did almost everything around the house. But you treated her like a family member. When she'd be done making dinner, she'd join you and your father, and the three of you would eat together. You'd watch T.V. together sometimes when she'd finish her chores, and you made sure to help clean around when she was busy ironing or washing the dishes. But here things seemed to be different. Your family being very wealthy, they lived a different life than yours. Servants were everywhere, cleaning and cooking and serving food and drinks around the house. They'd serve a meal and wait until the family was done eating to take the plates back to the kitchen and start cleaning up the dining table.

You leaned into Hakyeon and whispered:

- Do the servants have to watch us eat all the time?

He looked at you and raised an eye brow:

- Of course.

- Why?

- What if you need a drink or something?

- When do they eat then?

- Who cares?

You gaped at him before feeling your father's hand tugging at your sleeve.

- Eat in silence. Nana doesn't like chatting during breakfast.  

You nodded and continued eating your breakfast in silence, not noticing the tall servant staring at you with the same unreadable expression on his face. 

 

 

 

- I still don't understand why we have so many servants. I can do everything myself. I mean... I don't mind getting help but that's too much. 

You ranted to Hakyeon after getting kicked out of your room by his mother who asked two of the servants to empty your luggage, put everything in its place and iron your clothes. You sat down on the chair in his room as he got off his bed and sat on the chair facing yours. 

- You're going to have to get used to it. This is how we've been living our lives for forever. There is nothing you can do about it. So just accept things as they are and stop complaining. 

- But this is not fair. 

- What is not fair about people doing their job and getting paid for it? 

- I don't like being served when I can do things on my own. 

- Stop complaining.

He said as he flicked your forehead and you cried in pain. 

- What did you do that for? 

- I thought it would help you remember that this has always been your life.

- That's not funny. 

You said as you attacked him, trying to flick his forehead the way he did to yours. He pushed you on his bed and ran out of the room. You ran after him and saw him bump into the tall servant, that's how you refer to him in your head now, and both falling to the floor. The tray the servant was holding fell to the ground and you saw the glass of wine he was carrying shatter into pieces. You ran to help Hakyeon up and then looked at the servant to see him picking up the shattered glass with his bare hands. 

- Are you blind? 

Hakyeon yelled at him and you were taken aback by his sudden anger. He was blindly running out of his room so why was he yelling at the servant when it wasn't his fault at all? 

- Hakyeon... 

You tugged at his sleeve, asking him to stop. He pushed you and addressed the servant: 

- Clean this up and get me another glass to the living room. 

Hakyeon went inside his room as the servant nodded and continued to pick the glass. You knelt down and said: 

- Let me help you. 

He flinched when he saw you kneeling down next to him and you could suddenly feel Hakyeon's hand grabbing your wrist. 

- What are you doing? 

He asked as he pulled you behind him toward the living room.

- I was just trying to help. 

- Don't. 

- Why?

- Because you shouldn't. 

You sighed as he continued pulling you into the living room and then outside the house toward the garden. 

- Where are you taking me?

- I have something to show you.

He said excitedly and you followed him, surprised by the sudden change in his attitude. He stopped in front of an old tree house that looked shabby and neglected for many years. You stared at it for a few seconds and then asked:

- What is this? 

- Don't tell me you don't remember this!

He said in disappointment and you were starting to feel embarrassed. He sighed and then said: 

- We spent most of our childhood here. You'd play the princess and Taekwo... 

He suddenly paused and you looked at him, puzzled. 

- Who is he? 

- Who?

He asked.

- This Taek something, who is he? 

- I didn't say Taek.. I said I'd take you home with me after saving you. 

Liar, you thought to yourself before saying:

- Stop lying.

- I'm not lying. Look, Nana is looking for us. We should go inside. 

He almost ran into the house leaving you behind, confused about what he just said. You didn't know anyone with the syllable Taek in their name. You followed him, trying to get him to speak but you failed as you saw him chat with his parents while Nana called you and took you into a study room. 

- I didn't have enough time to talk to you last night. 

She said and you smiled at her. You missed her so much but you always spoke to her over the phone that you didn't have anything new to tell her when the two of you sat alone in the study room. 

- I'll get straight to the point. 

- What point?

- I called you here to talk to you about Hakyeon. 

You swallowed hard because you weren't sure what to expect. Hakyeon told you Nana and his mother are planning to get you married to him but you weren't sure if she was going to talk about it on your first day home. Unfortunately, she did. 

- I see that you and Hakyeon are really close. 

- Yes. He's like a brother to me. 

- Shh.. He is not your brother. 

- But.. 

- His mother told me he doesn't stop talking about you every time he comes back from his summer vacation and that you spend most of your time with him. 

- Yeah because he's my frie..

- Let me finish. 

She stared at you and you sealed your lips and nodded. 

- I have told her that it would be suitable for the two of you to get married to each other and she shared the same opinion with me. 

- But...

She interrupted you again. 

- But what? Hakyeon is a very good boy. We know his family very well and you are close to him. You won't find a better husband than him. 

- I don't want to get married.

You blurted out before she could interrupt you again. 

- What?

- I don't want to get married.

You repeated and waited for her reaction. 

- Why not? You graduated from college, you'll get a job at your father's company and you're old enough to get married so why not? 

You stayed silent so she asked: 

- Is there anything wrong with Hakyeon? 

- No no not at all.. I just.. don't love him.

She laughed at your answer and then said: 

- Love comes after marriage. Do you think I was in love with your grandfather before we got married? There is no such thing as love before marriage. 

- But Nana... 

- I'll give you a couple of days to think about it and then I need to hear you say yes so we can prepare everything.

She said and left the room without giving you the chance to speak. You were starting to consider whether going back home was a good decision. You left the study room and looked for your father. You found him walking around the garden, alone, so you took the chance and walked up to him.

- Are you happy?

He looked at you, wrapped his arm around your shoulder and said:

- Aren't you?

- I don't know.

He stopped walking and looked at you.

- Is anybody bothering you? 

- Not at all. It's just... 

- Honey, what is it? You know you can tell me. 

- Nana was talking to me about Hakyeon and...

He sighed. 

- Did she tell you she wanted the two of you to get married? 

- Did she speak to you too?

He laughed and then said: 

- Of course she did. I told her to wait a little bit before talking to you but she never listens to anybody. 

He then saw the frown on your face and said: 

- Do you not like Hakyeon? 

- I do, but.. I like him as a brother, a friend... I am not even thinking about marriage right now. She said she'll give me a couple of days to think but I just feel flustered by the whole thing. I am not used to being home yet and now this. 

You took a deep breath and then continued: 

- Now I am wondering if coming back was a good decision. 

He pulled you into a hug and patted your said: 

- I know things are difficult for you. It's a whole new life and you need time to get used to it. I'll speak with Nana and ask her to give you more time to think. You know how much she loves you and cares about you. I don't think she'd want you to feel upset about being home.

You pulled out of his hug and pecked his cheek. 

- Thank you. 

- Anything for my little princess. 

You suddenly remembered what Hakyeon said about the tree house and the 'Taek' person so you decided to ask your father but before you could, Uncle Kim approached the two of you and asked you to leave them alone because he wanted to discuss some matters with your father. You left them and went inside the house to be received by your cousins who took you into the living room and started asking you about your life abroad, your studies, and foreign boys. 

- Did you have any boyfriends while you were there?

One of them asked and the rest waited for your answer in anticipation. You giggled and then said: 

- No. I tried to focus on my studies instead of dating. 

They let out an 'oh' in disappointment. One of them asked: 

- But are the boys hot? 

You pretended to think for a couple of seconds before answering: 

- Yes, very. 

They all squealed and one even said she wanted to study abroad and meet a hot guy to date and you couldn't but laugh internally at their silly plans. You've never thought about dating, not because boys weren't interested in you, but because you were more focused on your studies than on dating. Although you knew your father wouldn't mind you dating a foreign boy, you had no intention of dating anyone until you were done studying. 

Again, you could see the tall servant staring at you. You were wondering why was he always doing that but couldn't figure out why. He seemed so distant, so unreadable, which made you very curious about him. You wanted to talk to him, to ask him why was he always watching you but you couldn't. You were always surrounded by your cousins or your grandmother and you weren't allowed anywhere near the kitchen or the servants' rooms. You had to hold your curiosity to yourself, knowing that even Hakyeon wasn't going to help you figure him out. 

You then decided to forget about him and rejoin the conversation which was now moving from dating to shopping and brands available at home and brands abroad. You remained silent as you listened to them talk about their favorite brands of clothing and shoes unaware of the servant looking at you intently, a faint smile creeping into his lips as he sighed before turning around and walking toward the kitchen.