Me Without You

After all this time, it's still you

It has been a week since Taekwoon broke up with you. You couldn't remember what sleep felt like. Happiness sounded like a concept from a different world. All you could feel was heart break and misery. You couldn't bring yourself to even eat; the only taste in your mouth was the salty tears running down your cheeks. The sleepless nights were nothing compared to the nights you found yourself walking out of your room and going down to the kitchen. You sat to the kitchen table in Taekwoon's place and spaced out for what felt like forever, silent tears running down your cheeks. The memories filling this place were bittersweet. Your first kiss, your first argument, the nights you spent together chatting and working on Taekwoon's chemistry home work, the tears you shed in his arms. Your heart clenched with every memory and you chocked on your tears before getting off your seat and walking toward his room. It was abandoned long ago, but you felt like you could hear his voice coming from inside his room, calling your name.

You tried calling him several times. You missed his voice and at times you felt that you needed to hear it. At such times, you felt very vulnerable and a part of you refused to believe that he actually broke up with you. You called him late at night and sometimes as soon as you woke up, hoping he'd answer your calls. At times you felt pathetic and at times you were angry with yourself for being so feeble. You waited a long time before he answered, and when he did, you wished he didn't. You despised yourself and despised him and wished you never shed a tear on him. Why is love so humiliating?

"T... Taekwoon?"

Your voice was shaking and your heart skipped a beat when he finally answered.

"Why are you calling me?"

You could feel blood freezing in your veins as hot tears rolled down your face. His voice was cold and distant, as if he was bothered by your constant calls and wanted to put an end to it.

"Taekwoon I need you."

Silence.

You started weeping, your voice shaking along with your whole body. He was never this cold to you. Even when he was upset with you for any reason, his voice was calm, making sure to never upset you. Was it all fake? How can someone fake love?

"Taekwoon please."

You cried, but he remained silent. You were afraid he hung up but you could hear his heavy breathing as he inhaled and exhaled without answering. It was around 9 and you thought he was in his room, studying or eating but then you heard noise next to him and a faint voice asking who it was. You sniffled when you could tell it was a woman's voice. Your heart dropped when you heard her voice but it stopped beating altogether when he whispered back:

"It's a wrong number."

"Why are you doing this to me?"

You wailed and he let out a sigh before saying:

"Stop calling me."

He hung up and you were left to your tears and sobs, feeling disgusted with him and with yourself for trusting him and giving yourself completely to him only to have him break up with you and sleep with another woman within week. It was the last time you heard his voice, and you were determined never to call him or cry over him again. It tormented you and you spent nights imagining him sleeping with another woman, making love to another woman, kissing another woman.

 

Things were only starting to get better as you busied yourself with work and when you received the support of everyone around you. Seokjin was always there for you when you broke down suddenly and he'd cover up for you when you said you needed to be alone. You felt sorry for him, having to go through your sudden fits without complaining or even asking for an explanation. Hakyeon was there for you when you'd leave the dining table and run toward the toilet, not wanting to break down in front of your family. Hongbin and Wonsik were there for you too. They'd call you every other day asking if you were feeling better and you felt sorry for having to reject their lunch or dinner invitations. You wanted so desperately to ask them about Taekwoon and whether they were still visiting him. You were hoping they'd mention him while talking to you, but they never did. Eunji was also there for you. She was shocked when you told her Taekwoon broke up with you. You didn't go through the details with her, not wanting to distort the image she had of him and simply said it wasn't working out. She suggested taking you on a trip abroad. She'd repeat her invitation at least three times a week, hoping you'd change your mind. As much as you hated being this weak and vulnerable because of Taekwoon, you slowly understood what family and friends were for. It still hurt that he had broken up with you and at times you'd feel lonely, but having them around you lessened your pain.

 

 

 

 

Things were slightly different for Taekwoon. Hongbin called Wonsik as soon as he left your room, telling him of what happened between the two of you. He told him he needed to talk to Taekwoon, but Wonsik, being hot blooded, said he wouldn't wait for Hongbin to come, and instead ran toward Taekwoon's apartment himself. He stormed in as soon as Taekwoon opened the door for him and he grabbed him by the collar asking him what he'd done to you. Taekwoon remained silent and Wonsik tightened his grip on Taekwoon's collar. Taekwoon averted his eyes away from Wonsik's but the latter wanted an answer. Taekwoon's silence was getting on his nerves so he let go of his collar and punched his face making him land on the couch, grunting in pain. He then grabbed his collar again pulling him up as he repeated his question. Taekwoon pushed him away as he said:

"It's none of your business."

"How could you do this to her? How could you?"

Wonsik yelled before turning around to find Hongbin standing at the door.

"You know nothing."

Taekwoon yelled before sitting on the couch. He lifted his head up and looked and both of them before adding:

"I... I used to work for them. My family and I used to live at their house. We were their servants."

Hongbin's eyes widened in shock. How come you never mentioned this before?

"So what?"

Wonsik asked and Taekwoon darted his gaze in the boy's direction.

"So what? She was taken away 15 years ago when I simply told her I love her and kissed her lips. We were kids but they saw me as a threat and had to move out because they didn't want me to have anything to do with their daughter."

Hongbin sat down next to him before asking:

"Are you serious? What's wrong about falling in love? You're well educated and you have a job. So what if you used to be their servant?"

Taekwoon took a deep breath before saying:

"You don't understand. Her father was here... He... he said he’ll force her to marry one of his friends if I don't break up with her. He locked her up and she starved herself for three days because of me. I don't know what else is he capable of, and I don't want to know. All I care about is for her to be out of any troubles caused by me."

"But you should fight for her! Why are you giving up on her so easily?"

Wonsik yelled at him.

"I don't want her to get hurt."

Wonsik snorted.

"Do you even love her?"

Taekwoon glared at him before saying:

"I love her all my life! I waited 15 years to be able to claim her as mine!"

"Then why did you stop?"

Hongbin interfered, asking them to stop arguing. Taekwoon bit his lower lip, preventing his tears from escaping as Wonsik looked at him apologetically. Hongbin took a deep breath before asking:

"Why didn't you run away with her?"

Taekwoon was silent for a couple of seconds before saying:

"Do you think I haven't considered taking her away? It's everything I thought of the second she acknowledged my feelings. I wanted to take her away and spend the rest of my life with her. But... I can't. I didn't want to ruin her life. Did you see her room? Did you see their house? Do you know how wealthy her family is? Do you think she'll be able to live in a filthy room like this, and have to wash her clothes and make her own food? Do you think I'd let her cook and clean for me like she always does? She does it because she enjoys it, she does it because she is not obliged to, but once she realizes she'll have to do this for the rest of her life she'll hate me for it. She'll hate me for taking her from the comfortable life she's living and moving her to this tiresome life."

"Did you ask her?"

Hongbin asked and Taekwoon stared at him for a couple of seconds before lowering his head and saying:

"I... I didn't. I asked her to run away with me but she said she couldn't leave her family behind.. But... when she came back the other day she... she asked me to run away with her... but I couldn't say yes... not after her father's threats."

He was looking down the whole time. Wonsik sighed in annoyance before asking:

"So you're really giving up on her?"

Taekwoon remained silent. Hongbin could tell Wonsik was losing his temper again so he stood up and said:

"Is there anything we can do to help?"

Taekwoon looked at him, confused. He thought they'd hate him and might not understand what he's going through. Instead, they wanted to help.

"Would... would it be too much to ask if you keep me updated on how she's doing? I..."

He paused as he scratched the back of his head before saying:

"I just want to know that she's doing fine wi.. without me."

Wonsik rolled his eyes and Hongbin elbowed him as he said:

"I'll do my best."

They walked toward the door and turned around when Taekwoon called Hongbin's name:

"It's okay if... if you no longer want to come over.. I... I understand."

Hongbin looked at Wonsik and then back at Taekwoon before saying:

"Who said anything about not coming over? Unless you don't want us to."

"No no... I... I don't have many friends and I.. I appreciate that you guys visit me all the time."

"Don't say that. What are friends for?"

Hongbin smiled at him and nudged Wonsik who said:

"I'll come again tomorrow."

 

 

 

"I saw the cut on her lip."

Wonsik said while driving Hongbin home.

"I saw it too. It's awful that her father did this to her."

"She said she fell off the stairs. I could tell something was wrong with her when I saw her pale face but she refused to talk about it. I would have assumed she was just sick if I haven't seen the pain in her eyes. She ran into his arms the second she saw him but I left. I wish I had stayed a bit longer. Maybe he wouldn't have been so harsh on her."

"He had to. After seeing what her father has done, I doubt he wanted to defy him."

Wonsik sighed before saying:

"It really bothers me that I can't help them."

Hongbin put his arm around Wonsik's middle before saying:

"We'll figure out something."

 

 

 

On the fourth week you were ready to go out and enjoy your time with Eunji or Hongbin without feeling emotionally unstable and throwing sudden fits. Even though you did it mostly for them, you did it for yourself. I am completely over him; you'd lie to yourself but do your best to act accordingly. Eunji took you shopping and her husband tagged along. He was a funny, light-hearted person and you enjoyed having him around. Eunji probably told him about your break up, so he made sure to crack jokes and make silly faces at you whenever he noticed you spacing out or looking distant. Eunji forced you to try a short, navy dress although you told her you weren't sure if you'll ever wear a dress this short in public. She said it looked perfectly fine on you and bought it regardless of your attempts to stop her. You didn't hate the dress, but the color stirred unnecessary feelings in you. Remembering the night of her wedding and how Taekwoon faked his jealousy over you dancing with Hongbin, and then how the night had turned, were something you wished you could forget.

 

Hakyeon took you out for lunch during the weekend. He asked you where you wanted to go and the only place you could think of was the restaurant Hongbin took you to. He then said he'd take you somewhere else, somewhere he's the first to take you to. You were surprised when you entered the small burger shop around the corner and sat down on a table toward the back of the shop. He ordered food and started talking about the girl he likes, but never actually approached, and you were amused by the way he talked about her and the way his eyes sparkled the whole time.

"Why haven't you talked to her yet?"

"I'm afraid she'll reject me."

"What if she doesn't? What if she's waiting for you to make a move?"

"Do you think so?"

"I think you should try."

He thought for a couple of seconds before saying:

"Maybe I should."

You smiled at him as food arrived. You ate in silence while thinking of the place Hongbin and Wonsik said they'll take you to tomorrow. They said they'll keep it as a surprise until you arrive there but you were dying to know. Having them all around had made it easier for you to go through the day. You haven't known them for too long, but you felt blessed to come across the right people and having them support you when you most needed it.

You looked at Hakyeon take his phone out. He started typing a message and you raised an eyebrow:

"Are you texting her already?"

He giggled, trying to hide his nervousness.

"No no. It's a friend from work."

You looked at him suspiciously as he pressed "send" and put his phone in his pocket.

 

 

 

 

Taekwoon sighed and a smile crept into his lips as he put his phone away after reading the text Hakyeon sent him:

'I am taking her out for lunch. She's been smiling a lot lately. I think she's getting better. Sorry.'

 

 

 

 

"It's beautiful!"

You said as you looked around the art gallery Hongbin and Wonsik took you to. They have told you earlier that they're taking you somewhere but they never told you where exactly until you were standing in front of the gallery's entrance. You looked at them in confusion until Wonsik said:

"We have some of our works exhibited here so we thought you'd be interested in seeing them."

Your eyes widened in surprise and Hongbin scratched the back of his head in embarrassment as he said:

"They're not great but we're happy to see them here."

"I can't wait to see them!"

You said excitedly and Wonsik pulled your arm, taking you inside the gallery. They walked around, spending a few minutes in front of each piece without telling you which ones were theirs. There were paintings, photographs and collages and you wondered what form they used for their works. Hongbin never mentioned anything about art and you were surprised to know they actually had works in such a gallery. They paused in front of two pieces and exchanged looks before looking at you, waiting for your reaction. One was a photograph and the other was a graffiti. You looked at them in confusion before catching the name tag next to each piece.

"These are yours?"

You asked in astonishment and Wonsik giggled in embarrassment.

"Yes. Do you like them?"

Hongbin asked and waited for your answer. You took your time looking at the two pieces and then at the boys before saying:

"I love them!"

"Really?"

Wonsik asked and you nodded.

"I really do! They're perfect!"

 

You listened to them intently as each of them described his piece and what inspired him to make it. Wonsik was very excited about his and he kept asking you if you liked it more than Hongbin's to which you always said 'yes.' You walked around the gallery for another half an hour before Wonsik started whining about how hungry he was. They spent the next 15 minutes arguing where to go and you giggled at how Wonsik ended up mumbling when Hongbin said he'll take him to a pizza place when he wanted Chinese.

"What do you want to eat?"

Hongbin asked you. You thought for a second and then said:

"I'd eat anything. It doesn't matter."

"You have to choose, pizza or Chinese?"

Wonsik asked and you giggled when he stressed the word Chinese and winked at you.

"I'll go with Chinese."

Hongbin pursed his lips as he exchanged looks with you and Wonsik and the latter stuck his tongue out at him causing you to giggle. You found their bickering very adorable and it somehow reminded you of Taekwoon. It was difficult to go a day without thinking about him, and you hated it. You hated how much he had affected you. It made you feel like a fool after realizing it was all an act.

Wonsik took his phone out and typed a message as he said:

"Let's go. I'm starving."

 

 

Taekwoon let out a sigh as he read:

'She still looks sad every once in a while. I feel sorry for her, but we're doing our best to make her smile.'

'Thank you. I really appreciate it. Is she with you?'

'Yes. Hongbin and I are taking her out for lunch.'

'Can you tell me where?'

'Do you want to come? What if she doesn't want to see you? We don't want her to start feeling bad again.'

'I miss her... I just want to see her from afar. I won't approach her I promise.'

 

 

 

Taekwoon got dressed and left his room as soon as Wonsik sent him the restaurant's location. He had to figure out a way to see you without alarming you. He was dying to see you, and passing by the house was never an option. It's been a month since he last saw you and although the boys have been texting him and assuring him that you were doing fine, he needed to see you.

He arrived at the restaurant half an hour later wearing a hoodie and glasses in an attempt to hide his identity. He entered the place looking for you and he froze when he saw you sitting with Hongbin and Wonsik, eating and chatting together. He stood there for a couple of minutes, his heart pounding in his chest as he watched you laugh with them, looking cheerful and happy. He smiled to himself until one of the staff approached him asking if he needed help. He looked at the waiter and then said:

"I'm sorry. I'm supposed to meet a friend but I think I'm at the wrong place. Excuse me."

He then turned around and left with a faint smile on his face. He took his phone out and texted Wonsik.

'I left. She seems happy. Thank you for looking after her.'

 

 

He got in his car and drove to the college. Ever since the break up, he hasn't spent much time in his room. Everything in his apartment reminded him of you. When he lay on his bed he remembered having held you in his arms and having watched you fall asleep in his chest with your arm wrapped around his body. When he moved to the couch he remembered you sitting there feeding him or changing his dressings. When he entered the kitchen he saw the kitchenware you got him after he moved and he would lose his appetite and decide not to eat at all.

He spent the day at college or in the library studying and trying to distract himself. Solji felt sorry for him every time she'd seen him sitting alone pretending to study while looking at his phone and reading your previous text messages. He'd lie and say he was looking for something rather than reminiscing, but she caught him several times smiling to himself as he read your messages without him noticing. She was there when you called him. She suggested they study together in an attempt to help him keep up with what had missed due to the shooting incident and she saw his face when he saw your name on the screen. He looked at her and she motioned him to answer, knowing that you have been calling him without receiving any answer. He picked up and scribbled something on a piece of paper and showed it to her, 'ask me who it is.' She looked at him, puzzled, and he pointed at the paper again, so she did. She was shocked when he said 'wrong number' when she was sure it was you. As soon as he hung up she wanted to ask him why he did that but he was gone. He left his seat and disappeared, only to come back a few minutes later with puffy eyes. She didn't ask him and could only watch him as he pretended to study, doing his best to avoid looking at her. He knew she must be judging him, thinking he was a bad person to have done such a thing to you, but she understood his misery very well, and felt bad about not being able to help him.

 

 

 

You walked up to your room after greeting Nana with a fake smile only to assure her that you were doing fine. You entered your room and lay on your bed, exhausted. A few minutes later you heard a knock on your door and you opened it to see your father standing in front of you. He let himself in and sat on the chair facing your bed so you sat on the edge of the bed and waited for him to speak. Even though you thought you'd never forget what he'd done to you, you came to realize that he really did it to protect you. He was too harsh, and at certain moments you thought he never loved you, you understood that he did it all for your own sake. Parents' intuition, you thought to yourself, that's how he probably knew Taekwoon wasn't good for me, and he was right.

"How are you today?"

He asked.

"I'm good, I guess."

"Did you do something special today?"

You nodded and then said:

"I went to an art gallery with Hongbin."

A smile formed on his lips as he said:

"Hongbin is s good boy."

"Did you forget that he's dating?"

You knew what he was implying, so he smiled and said:

"No I haven't. But I'm not here to talk about Hongbin. I'm here to talk about Yoongi."

You raised an eyebrow and looked at him, puzzled. You never thought he'd consider introducing you to any guy. That’s Nana's job.

"Yoongi is a new employee. He is a nice guy. I met his father a couple of times and they seem like a very good family. The boy himself is hardworking and devoted... and single."

"Are you trying to hook me up with him?"

"I'm only suggesting you meet him. He joined the company last week, but he works in a different section. I told him about you and he's interested in meeting you, as a co-worker. I haven't told him anything about... about what happened... so make sure you don't bring it up to him, at least not now."

"I didn't say I'd meet him."

"Well, I'm not here to ask you, I'm here to tell you that he will be coming to our house tonight for dinner."

"But..."

"Honey, please... can't you at least do it for me? Just sit with him and his family when they come for dinner."

"He's coming with his family?"

"Yes."

You sighed.

"I will."

He leaned in and pecked your temple before saying:

"Thank you! They'll be here at around 8, be ready."

You nodded and he left your room. Although you were already tired and exhausted and wanted nothing but sleep, what your father said forced sleep to stay away from your eyes for at least another hour. It has been a month since Taekwoon broke up with you and although you were pretending to be alright, you weren't sure if you could consider going out with someone else. You hated him, very much. But your hate came from being unable to forget him and move on. You hated him because he was there all the time. Even when you thought you were over him, the simplest thing you did would remind you of him and you hated being so vulnerable to all the memories related to him.

You woke up at around 5, too lazy to leave your bed but you forced yourself up and took a quick shower before busying yourself with reading one of the books on your shelf. You spent the next 2 hours reading until you heard a knock on your door. You got off your chair and opened the door to find one of the maids asking you to get ready since the guests are almost here. You grunted in annoyance before thanking her and going back to your book. You were too distracted to read so you put the book away and looked through your closet for something to wear. This can't be very bad, can it? You thought to yourself as you picked a dress and started changing your clothes.

"He might turn out to be a nice guy after all. This will probably help me get over Taekwoon."

You lied to yourself as you left your room and went down stairs to meet Yoongi and his family.