Kris' Background

The Healing Club

Wu Yifan was a native Canadian.  He never went by Yifan--he went by his English name, Kris.  Tall and handsome from birth, he always had girls chasing him.  He had a cool image: he was calm and quiet, an exciting and mysterious prize that every girl wanted to win.  Although his blood was Chinese, he lived in Canada for most of his life.  He lived with his single mother, and he also had an older sister. 

One could say that Kris was both intelligent and moronic.  He was trilingual--he knew how to speak Mandarin, Korean, and English-- he had been taught all three by his mother.    But his school-work showed that knowing multiple languages meant nothing.  He knew answers: how to solve the problems, but he was extremely lazy and didn't care enough to try. 

Yifan's mother and sister decided that they wanted to try living in Korea.  They saw his suffering (and almost failing) grades and decided upon a change of scenery.  Yifan started his junior year of highschool in Seoul, South Korea. 

Although his grades were far from good, Kris was no idiot.  He knew why his family had decided to move.  He had a cool image at school, but at home, he was a huge nerd.  He read manga and comics, he wrote to penpals, and he openly showed his love for his small yet precious family. 

Nothng about Kris improved after moving to Korea.  He kept his grades just above passing, so he wouldn't fail.  In his Korean school, he believed that he was "too cool" to do his work.  He was a valiant knight in shining armor--and had been suspended several times after getting in fights defending weaker students that had been bullied.  He had a fanclub of kids that were grateful for his chivalry. 

It was the last straw, however, when Yifan played an innapropriate song on the school intercom.  He defended himself by saying: "Baby Got Back is a very educational song...and the people here don't even really know what it means anyway!"  His principal furiously assigned him to after school detention.  (Yes, the same detention as Kai.)