Prologue

The Healing Club

The date was July 12th, 1998.  The Seoul Orphanage for Underprivilidged Children had two drop offs that day.  One, a two year old boy named Choi Kyung-soo, born on January 14th, 1996.  The other: a one year old named Lee Jong-in, born on January 12th,1997.  It was a dark and rainy day, both children had been left on the porch with an envelope containing their basic information.  The nuns running the orphanage had an idea that the families of the children were living in extreme poverty, and had no choice.  Although abandonment was illegal, the nuns did not press the issue of finding the absent parents.  They knew that returning them to their families could mean a harsh life, or even death.  It was quite obvious that the two children weren't related.  They were dropped off at different times--but the caring note that each child was left with was an indicator of a multiple family plan.  That--and the two boys appeared to already be aquainted with one another.  As the two year old entered the orpahanage, the younger ran up to the young boy as if they were brothers.  Sister Lee Hyo-ri's heart warmed at the sight, glad that they at least had someone.  As she saw the two trying to communicate, she analyzed the notes that had been left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NAME: Choi Kyung-soo

DATE OF BIRTH: January 14th, 1996

BLOOD TYPE: A

ALLERGIES: NONE (OF CURRENT KNOWLEDGE)

We leave him in your care.  Apologies. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NAME: Lee Jong-in

DATE OF BIRTH: January 12th, 1997

BLOOD TYPE: A

ALLERGIES: NONE (OF CURRENT KNOWLEDGE)

We leave him in your care.  Apologies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, it was quite obvious that the dual abanonment had been planned by the two families, with the letters left in the exact same format.  Although the Orphanage didn't have the best funding, she knew that the two poor boys would need to be raised properly--if they were ever to become proper citizens of South Korea. 

As the two boys aged, they formed an extremely close and brotherly bond.  Many of the children at the Orphanage were jealous, but they left after less than a year anyway.  Sister Hyo-ri dreaded the day that one of the boys were adopted, (She almost hoped that they never were.  They felt like her own children, which she had none of.) knowing that the two could be forever seperated.  They did everything together, despite the year age difference.  Kyung-soo took on the role of a responsible hyung and teacher, while Jong-in played the part of the eager dongsaeng.  They had many major adventures as they aged at the orphanage. 

Sister Lee Ho-ri and sister Jang Na-ra were the ones who ran the Orphanage, and they witnessed many of the events that the two boys experienced.

  • When Kyung-soo and Jong-in were ages 6 and 7 respectively, they decided that they would create their own "secret language."  The nuns found it quite endearing as the two stressed over possible meanings.  They came up with a short list of vocabulary, which didn't remain secret for long as the nuns quickly caught on to the meanings.  Although the simplistic little word list could be considered immature, the boys used the language for as long as the nuns could remember. 

-Stupid turtle-moo: I'm angry

-Crying cow-meow: I'm sad. 

-Longing bird-roar: I miss you

-Wrong cat-quack: I'm sorry

-Silly bear-hug: I love you

  • One day, Jong-in came running in after elementary school.  He had seen a vendor on the street, with necklaces for sale at $5 a piece.  He begged and pleaded for the money, wanting something to share with his hyung.  Kyung-soo calmly told the boy that they could afford such fineries as soon as he found a job. The dissapointed look on Jong-in's face really motivated Kyung-soo, especially when the boy said "Crying Cow-Meow," which meant 'I'm sad' in their language.   Kyung-soo promised the boy that he would look for a job at age 12, and it broke the hearts of several of the sisters.  They each quietly donated some of their personal money until they had raised $10.  When sister Hyo-ri pulled the then 10 year old Kyung-soo aside and lovingly placed the money in his hand, she was suprised as the young boy sank to his knees in tears.  He thanked her from the bottom of his heart, and vowed that he would pay the money back as soon as he was able to earn the money.  Sister Hyo-ri and Na-ra felt such pity for the poor boy, and warmly told him that it was unneccesary, that it was a gift.  Tears running down his innocent face, the child thanked them once again while running out the doors--no doubt going to fetch the necklaces.  Young Jong-in was wondering what had happened to his hyung when the said boy returned to the Orphanage, arms behind his back.  The sisters gathered around, eager to see what the result of their generous contributions would be.  There were only a few other children in the Orphanage at the time, and they were all outside playing.  Kyung-soo slowly pulled his hands out from behind his back, a necklace in each hand.  "Kai, (the nickname that he had made up for Jong-in) look at what I got!  Both of them have the first letter of our first names!"  Thanking each nun with his eyes, he started to hand the "L" necklace to Jong-in.  To Kyung-soo's surprise, Kai grabbed for the necklace with the "C."  He said, "Hyung, I want the one that has your last name on it.  We are brothers and these necklaces will show that we will always be together."  As the two boys hugged and cried in their happiness, several of the nuns wept out of sadness.  They knew that at some point, it was highly likely that the two would become seperated. 
     
  • On another occasion, the 10 year old Kai had left the Orphanage for some reason, and  was nowhere to be found.  Worried sick, the 11 year old Kyung-soo ran out into the pouring rain to find his missing dongsaeng.  He asked people all around, ran with all his might, and ended up faintly seeing Jong-in four hours into his search.  Faintly, because as soon as he spotted his brother, he passed out.  Jong-in was panicked seeing his unconcious brother, and carried him home on his back.  By the time he returned to the orphanage, he was exhausted.  The nuns looked on in horror as a sopping wet Jong-in came back with a passed out and also sopping wet Kyung-soo on his back.  They were even more alarmed as Jong-in gingerly placed his hyung on a mat, and passed out himself.  Upon waking, Jong-in was scolded severly for the trouble that he caused--Kyung-soo had fallen ill searching for him.  Apologizing profusely, "Wrong cat-quack!" Jong-in said to his hyung when he briefly regained his conciousness.  Kyung-soo waved it off, "It's fine, I'm glad you're safe, Silly bear-hug," before he fell asleep yet again.  It was later explained that Jong-in had wondered off to chase an ice cream truck that mentioned giving away free ice cream, and got lost. 

The crazy antics were never-ending: until the day that it did end.  The boys had returned home from school, ages 11 and 12.  Throwing aside their schoolbags as they did daily, the two were laughing and chattering happily as they entered the orphanage.  But it changed when Sister Hyo-ri and Na-ra entered their room that they shared between 6 boys and softly called Jong-in out.  Neither boy thought much of it, Kai saying: "Just wait a few minutes, hyung, I'll be back soon!"  The sisters looked at each-other in sadness.  He would be returning, but only for 10 minutes to pack his few belongings and say his goodbyes. 

"Kai... (The sisters had taken to calling him by his nickname as well) you've been adopted."  "REALLY?! Why didn't we bring Kyung-soo too? He is going to be so happy when we tell him!" he was excited and ready to run and get his hyung when his world shattered.  "No, Jong-in, only you have been adopted.  Kyung-soo is staying here."  Jong-in was devastated.  His hyung wasn't coming with him?  "No, I dont want to go then," he firmly refused.  Sighing in remorse, the sisters broke the sad news to him.  "Your adoptive mother is a teacher at your school, Mrs. Kim.  She was enchanted by you, and has already legally signed the papers.  You have to go."  They had no contol, and had even pleaded with the rich woman not to tear apart the relationship.  The woman's husband was extremely eager to adopt--and insisted upon it.  The nuns returned to the bedroom, packing his meager belongings for him.  Curious, Kyung-soo asked what was going on.  He wondered why they were packing only Jong-in's things.  He realized the answer before the nuns had a chance to explain.  "NO! PLEASE NO! HE'S ALL I HAVE!!!!" The two were atttached to the nuns on their knees, begging and pleading for him to stay.  The nuns apologized, saddened by the thing that they could not control.  When Kai's adoptive family arrived, Jong-in was literally dragged sobbing out of his hyung's embrace.  "I'm sorry hyung!  I'll find you as soon as I can!" Jong-in screamed at the top of his voice.  Kyung-soo even attempted begging the wedded adopting couple, but they coldly refused.  The nuns saw the light fade from Kyung-soo's eyes as his hyung was dragged away.  Yelling "I love you!" to eachother tearfully, the two parted ways. 

From that day on, Kyung-soo was a changed boy.  He rarely spoke at all, only politely answering questions or notifying the nuns of his activities.  Five months later, a couple came in, adopting Kyung-soo.  Because he was broken and no longer cared, he was led away by the new family.  He didn't even fight it.  To him, the only thing that mattered was Jong-in. 

 

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

OMG, so I literally cried while writing this.  I'm the type of person who ABSOLUTELY DESPISES SAD THINGS.  I promise it will become happier later on.  This story is all about healing, and in order to heal, the past wounds have to be explained.  I'm really sorry for any grammar mistakes, I have a lot of trouble typing this.  I literally cried, like I felt so bad for torturing my characters, as if I was actually forcing Kai and D.O. to have such awful lives.  Anyway, following this will be a short background for each character, and how they came to meet their friends, and eventually the story will actually start.  I want to thoroughly explain the background before actually starting the story.  Again, sorry for anything that this causes. 

By the way, this is how I envision the two necklaces to look.

KAI'S NECKLACE: (D.O.'s last name intial.)

 

D.O.'S NECKLACE: (Kai's last name initial.)

(In case it hasn't been figured out, their surnames changed to their actual ones after they were adopted.)