Detention Days

The Healing Club

1ST DAY OF DETENTION

Mrs. Kim, Jong-In's adoptive mother, was elected supervisor of after school detention.  The principal instructed her that she was to introduce the "delinquents" to each-other, have them share their misdeeds, and perhaps do their homework together.  Mrs. Kim was not surprised at all when she found that her own son was assigned to the group. 

As she sat at her desk in the front of her room, she looked at the empty desks before her.  (Picture is from her perspective.)  She knew the boys would be sitting in the back of the room, but she also knew that those assigned the detention weren't true delinquents.  She assigned seats, with the arrangement ending as follows:

Luhan   Baekhyun        Kai   Yifan        Yixing   Jongdae

Mrs. Kim placed name cards on each desk, and she waited for the boys to arrive.  First walked in a tall, blonde boy.  Then a dazed looking boy, a nerdy looking (yet pretty) boy, a boy with a smiling mouth, and then a boy who wore glasses but looked very innocent.  She was surprised that they were still seniors.  Each had entered with an unenthusiastic "Hello Mrs. Kim," a bow, and then a stalk to their seat.  It was 5 minutes before Kai arrived.  "Hey mom," he said nonchalantly.  Mrs. Kim was extremely frustrated with his mention of her role, but just gestured for him to take a seat.

She started: "This is daily detention, which you will be reporting to every day after school for the rest of your senior year.  I'm Mrs. Kim, as you all knew previously.  Please stand and introduce yourself, tell us why you're here, and something about yourself.  Starting from Jongdae please."

"Hi guys! I'm Kim Jongdae but please call me Chen!  I'm here because I like to prank people!  And um.....I might as well tell someone...I had Terminal Lymphoma as a kid.  I'm all better now though." Mrs. Kim wondered why someone like him had been assigned detention, he seemed harmless. 

"Hi.  I'm Yixing." Yixing stood and said after nudges from Chen.  Jongdae whispered in his ear, as the boy had obviously not heard the directions.  "Um... I dont know why I'm supposed to say this, but I wear briefs and I am still underage."  Yifan, Chen, Baekhyun, and Kai snickered, while Luhan helpfully called across the room.  "Mrs. Kim Teacher asked us to introduce ourselves, say why we're in detention, and say one thing about ourselves that we don't usually share."  Luhan felt bad for the oblivious boy, knowing the feeling after being bullied for most of his life.  Lay shot him a grateful look before standing yet again.  "Okay...My full name is Zhang Yixing.  I'm here because...I don't know why I guess.  Maybe because I like to daydream?  I like to play the guitar, but my dad is trying to buy my way into medical school."  The other boys nodded in sympathy, while Mrs. Kim realized why that boy was placed in detention.  "Hey Yixing, since you're so LAZY, can we call you LAY?" Chen asked.  Yixing shrugged as if it didn't matter.  (He probably wouldn't pay attention anyway.)

The tall boy stood up and spoke a whole paragraph in English before realizing that he was supposed to be speaking in Korean.  Every person in the room smiled at the obvious clumsiness of the seemingly-chic looking boy.  "Dammit, this is why I dont speak in school.  I'm Wu Yifan, but call me Kris, because I'm more comfortable with it.  I grew up in Canada, and I'm here because school is not my style.  I am secretly not as cool as I look, but dont tell anyone."  Mrs. Kim and Kai had understood his English and the Korean, so Kai made a comment in English.  "The people here are just too dumb to know English hahaha."  Mrs. Kim looked on in disapproval as the two boys laughed, the others oblivious. 

Kai stood next: "I'm Kim JongIn.  Call me Kai because that is the only name that I respond to.  I lived at an orphanage until I was adopted by the beautiful Mrs. Kim and we lived in the U.S. for 6 years before coming back to Korea.  I'm here for my complete disregard of school rules I guess.  And I am currently looking for my childhood best friend, so please tell me if you know anyone your age that has the name Kyung-Soo or a necklace like mine but with a "L" on it. Thank you!"  'Of course he brought that up here.  I dont know how I am going to find that boy, but I have to if I ever want Jongin to live a happy life,' Mrs. Kim thought. 

Baekhyun stood and yelled: "I'm Byun Baekhyun!  I'm here because I was assigned detention!! HAHA!  Right now I'm battling depression and I've been depressed for years!"  Mrs. Kim didn't know why Baekhyun was smiling if he had depression, but she hoped that he would benefit from the detentions.

The last boy timidly stood.  "Mm-y name is X-xi Luhan.  I-i have been bullied my entire life so please dont bully me.  I am here because of things that I did so I wouldn't get beaten up."  Baekhyun, seated next to Luhan, muttered some words of encouragement, as he was no stranger to bullying. 

Mrs. Kim decided to help matters for the day.  "Okay, for the next 45 minutes, just chat amongst yourselves."  The boys were obviously impressed with her laid-back mannerisms. 

The boys spoke happily for the remaining time, even Luhan and Lay joining in the conversations, to the surprise of Mrs. Kim.  She heard tidbits of conversation from the boys: "Dont wear glasses tomorrow and wear normal clothes.  We have every class together, I'll protect you!" from Kris.  "I like to sing, you should play guitar while I sing sometime!" from Chen.  "Seriously, if you find anyone who fits the description, text me!  Here's my phone number!" from Kai.

Mrs. Kim was already able to tell then that those boys were not Ne'er Do-Wells.  They were very friendly with eachother, perhaps at ease because it was just detention.  When the time ended, they knew a lot about eachother, phone numbers, and practically whole life stories.

 

AFTER, THROUGH THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR 

The year went by too quickly, seeing improveents from each detention member.  Luhan started dressing normally and embracing his "youthful" look.  He was no longer bullied, and even had many admirers, male and female.  Lay was able to pay more attention and focus, as he was able to play guitar with Chen, who found out that he actually had a decent voice.  The two would even write songs together and perform them during detention. 

Baekhyun became much happier with his new friends, spending time with all of them.  Though he still had depression, he knew that he was on the righ path.  Kris was known to be the goof-ball that he was, but only by the detention members.  Other classmates still shivered in fear from his burning glares, and peers still though he was absolutely untouchably cool.  Kai was the center of it all, the dependable one that they all would go to.  When all of their grades went up significantly, they were told by the principal that the detention was no longer mandatory.  To the principal's surprise, the boys begged to keep having detention

At graduation, they all knew they were heading to the same university.  They hoped that they'd be able to find a place to meet as a group.  They became great friends, each person complimenting the others with their own unique characteristics.  They were able to move into a single suite dorm at their new college, each person with a roommate.  Kai and Kris decided to room together, as they had become good friends and liked to converse in English.  Chen and Baekhyun chose to room together, because they found eachother's personalities hilarious.  Luhan and Lay were able to get along famously, and were extremely eager to move into their home for the next 4-6 years. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So this FINALLY marks the end of my "Backgrounds."  I am really looking forward to actually starting the story, but I wanted the story of the original groups to be known.  Thanks a lot if you've read this far, and sorry for all of the bad spelling/grammar.  I would like to repeat that the experiences of the characters of this story may be far from how things actually happen...these are just my dramatic take on them.

The next chapter will contain the move into the dorms for both groups, and unbeknownst to them*****SPOILER ALERT***** the two groups are neighbors!!! (Yeah, I can and will write spoilers about my story in my story haha). Thanks again to those who have read, subscribed, commented, or up voted!:)