D.O.'s Background

The Healing Club

After adoption at age 12, Choi Kyung-soo's name was changed to Do Kyung-soo.  He was moved to Pusan, and lived there until his freshman year of high school, when the family moved back to Seoul.  He grew to love his adoptive father after a few years, but his mother was a different story.  While his loving father insisted they adopted him for their love, his mother would bluntly state that they only adopted him to get government checks.  Daily, he would spend time with his father, as the quiet boy had never made friends.  He was painfully quiet, missing his best friend. 

His life was once again dramatically shattered with the death of his adoptive father.  After being diagnosed with cancer at the age of 48, he passed away just a few months later.  Kyungsoo's adoptive mother got worse and worse--eventually taking to alcoholism and drug use.  She remarried less than a year after her previous husband died, moving them back to Seoul.  Life from then on was hell for Kyung-soo.  The step-father would constantly abuse Kyung-soo verbally.  "You'll never amount to anything!"  "You are one ugly person, no one will ever want to be seen with you."  "If your mother didn't love you so much, You'd be back in that goddamn Orphanage that you came from."  For years on end, foul words were all that Kyung-soo heard about himself.  Eventually, at about age 16, he begged his "parents" to let him find his old friend from the Orphanage.  He was forbidden to go there.  The tension built and built until Kyungsoo snuck out, despite the threats that he recieved.  His step-father must've found out about his plans because as he walked down the street to the Orphanage, he was suddenly attacked.  He had never been hit before, and was too stunned to fight back.  His adoptive step-father kept beating and beating him, years of hatred building up to the moment.  The last word that Kyungsoo uttered before his vision went black was "Kai."

He woke up in the hospital, with about half of his memory forgotten.  He didn't know that he had forgotten about the Orphanage.  He didn't remember how he was beaten so badly.  Worst of all, he had no memories whatsoever of Jong-in.  The only thing he remembered about his early childhood was the name "Kai" and the neckace that he possessed.  (And the strangely phrased few phrases that he knew by second nature.)  He remembered the verbal abuse from his father--he remembered the drunken mother that he couldn't depend on.  As he moved through high school, he recieved straight A's in everything.  His "parents" didn't care.  He had never been told "I love you" or "I'm proud."  Only: "You're scum" and "Just go die."   He was never told how he ended up in the hospital that day--but the beatings still occured occasionally.  A couple times per month, he would be hit by his step-father.  He never knew why.  He did everything that was asked of him.  He got good grades.  He knew that he was destined to be a loser, due to the persuasion of his step father, but he never knew WHY.

One would think that with all the torment, Kyung-soo would try to end his life.  But he stayed strong despite his weaknesses.  After every fight, he listened to music to calm himself down.  After every beating or harsh word, he iced his wounds, placed his band-aids, all while softly singing to himself.  He softly cried by in his room--brokenhearted.  He hoped that there would be something better, something more.  When he entered his junior year at a new high school, (due to the frequent moving of his "parents") his life finally made a turn for the better.  Although he was quiet and afraid, his life dramatically changed. At 17 years old, he finally made a few friends.  He met Chanyeol, Xiumin, Suho, Sehun, and Tao.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Sorry for any grammar errors or spelling errors.  I typed this up fairly quickly.  I hope someone gets something out of this story:)