Overthinking hurts humans

Some things change, some things don't
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The winter break went by as fast as any other break. Every day, Cheonsa had thought about Myungsoo. She was back in Middle School again and can’t even express with words how upset she is. She wanted to prove herself that she matured, that her heart won’t be shaken by men like Kim Myungsoo; but she was wrong. Not once did they meet, and the only time they contacted each other was Christmas. Myungsoo wished her a Merry Christmas, Cheonsa wished him one as well. That was it. Oh, right, new year’s eve too. But those texts were probably mass texts sent to all of his contacts. 

 

As expected, Lee Cheonsa really doesn’t mean anything to Kim Myungsoo. She was just the easiest to approach from day one, and thus she’s being played like this. Someone who can entertain him the following three years. These three years won’t even exist in Myungsoo’s memory. How could she be so easy? Why did she fall under Kim Myungsoo’s spell?

 

”You got this,” Cheonsa tells her mirror, straightening out her school uniform. ”Just ignore him. Treat him like he treats you.”

 

Like absolutely nothing. 

 

The way to school seemed much longer than usual, but surprisingly, she’s in time for once. If it’s because she wanted to get out of her suffocating house where she only sees traces of Myungsoo or because she wants to get to school quickly because she’s dying to hear what Myungsoo has to say in his defence she doesn’t know. Maybe she just wants to see him, after these three long weeks; but that she would never acknowledge. 

 

With quick steps, Cheonsa makes her way to her locker. No one else than Kim Myungsoo is leaning against the lockers next to hers, as usual. He’s looking down at his phone, scrolling through something she can’t tell. Without a word, she opens her locker.

 

Myungsoo looks up from her phone, eying her suspiciously with wide eyes. He looks surprised, and so adorable. Cheonsa mentally slaps herself; get your head together! Remember, you’re not an easy woman!

 

”Did you get chased here or something? How come you’re in time?”

 

Cheonsa gives him a quick glare before getting her things and then shutting the locker, so hard that Myungsoo flinched. ”Why? Can’t I?”

 

She turns around and starts walking towards her classroom, Myungsoo follows her as usual, walking her to her classroom. Like nothing happened. Like she’s just supposed to forgive his ignorance. ”Wow... Did something happen?”

 

As usual, the fact that Kim Myungsoo is not used to the fact to be treated like this, to be rejected or ignored, pissed Cheonsa off. Maybe she woke up on the wrong side of the bed, but all of her sadness and disappointment during the winter break are coming out now as anger. ”What if it did? Would you and your small mind be able to understand anyways?”

 

The words just appeared out of nowhere. Cheonsa hadn’t even felt them on her tongue and they were out. A little nervous to see Myungsoo’s reaction, she glanced his way. He stops in his steps. ”Excuse me?”

 

Cheonsa doesn’t stop walking, continues her way to the classroom. 20 weeks. For 20 weeks had the two of them been friends. That equals 140 days, 100 school days. Excluding holidays, it’s around 70 days. So for 70 days Myungsoo had followed Cheonsa to her classroom. On the 71st day, Cheonsa is walking alone. It doesn’t feel as good as Cheonsa wishes, she feels like throwing up and that she shouldn’t be doing this; she should be grateful that after all these years of crushing on Myungsoo; he finally noticed her. What makes her so greedy? Her pride? Or the fact that Myungsoo won’t ever love her half as much as she loves him?

 

What if she will regret this? After all, this was her three year’s old dream. What if Myungsoo won’t ever forgive her? What if she’s actually being too greedy? She still loves him, she knows it, so what if...-

 

Cheonsa shakes the thoughts out of her mind, Myungsoo’s words echoing in her brain. If we ask ourselves, ‘what if?’, there is a possibility we may overthink. Overthinking hurts humans.

 

”Don’t overthink it,” Cheonsa once again says to herself. ”Stop thinking about it. If he really cares he’d put down some effort in this.”

 

She turns around, expecting Kim Myungsoo to stand there and watch her with one of his known, confused, expressions that Cheonsa saw a lot in Middle School when Woohyun tried to explain the importance of sports, but where Myungsoo was earlier standing there is nothing. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter