The unachievable one

Some things change, some things don't
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The teacher points at Myungsoo’s outstretched arm with her pen. ”Myungsoo, come here and show your solution to the problem.”

 

Eagerly Myungsoo rises from his seat and hurries to the big, whiteboard table. Confidently he writes down his answer to the math problem on the whiteboard. Mrs. Kwon looks at him with a small smile on her lips, knowing that he will get it correctly. Everyone knows what a math freak Myungsoo is. Just mentioning math makes his face light up in happiness.

 

Cheonsa is good at math. She had always been. The problem is that she finds it so incredibly boring. And to be honest; she’s not the hand-raiser type. Even if she’s 99% sure of the answer, she won’t raise her hand unless she’s 100% sure. In primary school, she always raised her hand, but she seems to have changed over time.

 

It’s only been a few months into the first year in Middle School, but everyone appears to know that Myungsoo likes math. He’s such an open person, but still he is so mysterious that it makes Cheonsa crazy. For example, everyone knows that Myungsoo is good at math and at sports. Cheonsa is certain that not even half of the class knows that she is too. They don’t talk much to each other, even though they’re in the same class. It’s not that Myungsoo is full of himself or that Cheonsa is shy, it’s just that they don’t have anything to talk about.

 

And Myungsoo is popular. He has a lot of friends. Not only is he good looking; he is smart, kind, funny, polite. Getting close to someone with a lot of friends is hard. Especially since there’s nothing wrong with his current friends. The ones Myungsoo mainly hang with are Nam Woohyun - the sporty football nerd in the class, and Lee Sungyeol; a little weird but funny, tall guy. But he also hangs out with a lot of confident girls at times, which makes Cheonsa’s heart ache a bit. Sometimes she wonders what she could have done differently to make Myungsoo like her, or at least be her friend. 

 

Cheonsa is not poor on friends either, she if satisfied with the friends she has. Which is two, but she loves them. The three of them got to know each other on the first day of school, and it showed out that they all get along well with the other. Of course, there’s a lot of differences between them. Sunmi, for example, is tall and really smart. She’s pretty, prettiest in the class according to Cheonsa. Even though, she doesn’t seem to care much about the boys; not even Myungsoo. Saeun is her other friend. She’s sporty, popular among girls in other classes, since she makes friends easily. Though, she has a lot of temperament and a strong opinion that she believes everyone should agree with; Cheonsa can’t even count all the times they got into an argument because of that. And; she has a little crush on Myungsoo’s friend Woohyun. 

 

Math class ends, and the three of them meet up to eat their lunch together outside. The weather is getting colder, but they still sit outside to eat. It’s much quieter, and it’s easier to talk. Even though a thick cloud of cold air forms every time they open their mouths. 

 

”Myungsoo is great at math though,” Sunmi points out and takes a bite from her sandwich. Math isn’t her best subject, but she’s good at it anyhow.

 

The two other girls agree and nod their heads. ”He’s really the whole package, god blesses his parents,” Cheonsa sighs and take a spoon full of rice. ”Imagine how many confessions he gets.”

 

The other girls agree again. The things they mostly talk about is indeed boys, but what can you expect out of 13 year olds? Cheonsa can’t really imagine what a great life Myungsoo must live. In her whole life, she hadn’t gotten a confession even once. Not that she wanted one from someone special either, but it’d boost her confidence if she could get some.

 

”Myungsoo is indeed the most good looking guy,” Saeun says after she swallowed down her food. ”But in my eyes Woohyun has more charm. Like, isn’t Myungsoo kind of lazy? He’s playing football half-heartedly.”

 

”That’s a part of his charm,” Cheonsa giggles and smiles a little at how Woohyun scolds him after every football game where he doesn’t even try to stop the opponents. Even if he’s in the opposing team he scolds him. Cheonsa likes that, though. She’s not athletic at all, the only sport she likes is badminton, and she doesn’t like it that much either. A sporty guy would never work for her.

 

She fell in love with Myungsoo’s looks but, kept loving him because of his personality. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter