Chapter 3

EXO Unit

 

 

            Kyungsoo and Lay were the first ones back. They got started quickly and had only just begun prepping the body.

“How’s it going?” Suho walk through the two doors into the medical examiner’s office.

“Why the hell does Kris think we work miracles? I mean seriously, we just got back!” complained Kyungsoo, while prepping the tools.

“Oh but we do Penguin. We do.” smiled Lay, patting Kyungsoo on the back and walking over to the body to collect fingerprints. “But Sweetheart. Please remind Sunshine that it takes a while. Oh and bring these prints to Princess.”

            Suho laughed a little at Lay’s ability to incorporate 4 code names in a few sentences, but nonetheless took the prints and left the room calling his thanks over his shoulder. In the forensics lab, Luhan was running around looking for the fingerprints he knew took at the crime scene. He was frantic.

“WHERE ARE THEY?!” He yelled, on the verge of hyperventilating. “I swear. I SWEAR. I brought them in when I unpacked the van. And DNA won’t be back for an hour. Or MORE! Kris will kill me. Oh my GOD. Oh my GOD. OH MY GOD.” he began waving his hands in the air. “THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!”

Suho leaned on the doorframe quietly chuckling at Luhan and his panic attack.

“Luhan” Luhan turned “I have fingerprints. We have the body. Remember?”

“Damn you.” Luhan ran over to Suho, “Thanks” He beamed at Suho before bouncing back to his computer to get to work on the fingerprints.

            About an hour later, Kris was done with paperwork, Chen was on the phone with a gun shop about the gun found at the crime scene, and Kai, Tao, and Chanyeol returned, although with a  lot of snacks and coffee.

“Thought we might need it.” Said Kai, handing out the coffee.

“Bless you.” sighed Kris, “Paperwork was a .”

            After a few more hours of paperwork, another round of coffee, snacks, dinner, and a third round of coffee. Lay emerged from the ME’s lab and looked around.

“Whoa guys. You look like hell.” He smiled.

“Shut up Lay.” Mumbled Kai, with his eyes closed

“Good news is, other than being hit in the head with a cross, our woman was completely healthy, and..”

“and?” Kris prompted.

“and had gunshot residue on her hands!” Luhan happily said, joining Lay in the bullpen, while waving a paper in the air.

“Steal my thunder why don't you.” Lay pouted.

Luhan bounced on the balls of his feet excitedly. “The woman’s name Bang Yonghee. Age 24, works as a waitress at a maid cafe, and has no living relatives.” He took a breath before continuing, “She was Bang Yongguk’s little sister.”

“Didn’t we just take down Bang Yongguk and BAP last year?” questioned Suho, looking up from the latest report on another case his friend was working on.

“Yeah” Kris stood up and walked over to Luhan and took the sheet. “Kai, Baekhyun. Go talk to the ladies at the maid cafe.”

“ yes! Ladies in maid costumes. I’m there.” Kai smirked and Kris smacked him on the head. “Jesus boss. Stop smacking meeeee.” He whined

“Shouldn’t have said that.” Baekhyun whispered just loud enough for Kai to hear.

“Shut up Honey Bun.”

The cafe was basically all pink, white, and gold, besides the ladies who were in black and white.

“I don't know why anyone would do this. Yonghee was so sweet. She would never hurt anyone. When her brother died she cried all the time.” Her co-worker and best friend Areum said in tears.

“Would you know why she had a gun?” Kai asked quietly with his hand on her shoulder.

“No. I have-” She paused “Actually, her brother gave her one when he suspected someone was after him. But I never knew she knew how to shoot.”

Baekhyun scrutinized the woman then turned around and surveyed the cafe. All the other girls looked as though they were faking their smiles. Actually, he knew they were. It was apparent that the news of Yonghee’s death took a toll on them. He was 200% sure none of them did it. He turned back to Kai.

“Did anything seem odd to you lately?” Baekhyun asked, kneeling down in front of her.

“She was acting a little paranoid recently. She kept looking around and every day she would come in to work with her hood up and a mask. I asked her what was wrong but she would just brush me off.”

Kai and Baekhyun made eye contact.

“If you remember anything please give us a call.” Kai said patting her shoulder.

She nodded and looked up, “If you wouldn’t mind… could I have a hug?”

He smiled and gathered the crying girl into his arms as she sobbed harder.

 

“Kai got a hug!” Baekhyun sang walking in to the office, “and a number.”

“Shut it. She asked for it.”

Kris looked at the report that Baekhyun brought back. Nothing stood out except for the fact that the victim was squirrely lately. Her friend obviously didn’t know the reason but he suspected it has something to do with her older brother. Bang Yongguk wasn’t a nice man. He had multiple homicides, thefts, drugs, and guns. Basically he was the head of a large gang that was basically had control of the entire underground of the city. A few months ago the EXO unit took down the gang and shot Bang Yongguk in the process. Actually, Kris had done it himself and now felt a little remorse for the girl who he left with no family, but it was his job. He knew they would never find where the gun came from. unless…

“I need to go see Donghoon.” He strode out of the office with Suho scrambling to keep up with his long strides.