Chapter 11

EXO Unit

A/N Sorry I haven’t updated in so long  I’m on a hiatus from school and have time to write again! Look forward to more badass adventures of Vivienne and the EXO Unit!

 

Luckily, Vivienne got to Claire in time. Claire had put up some resistance at first when Vivienne tried to set up protection, but eventually  Claire gave in when she made Vivienne promise that she would be one of the people on the protection team. She groaned. Im Yonghee the model was back. She was back in the spotlight after a year of sparse social media activity. The year she spent as Yonghee was fast paced. She had been following around a mafia member that actually came to nothing.
“Model huh?” Kai asked from the wall, where he was leaning and watching Vivienne cooking in the kitchen.
“Mhm.” She hummed, not looking up from the frying pan. She was making breakfast. She hadn’t eaten and Kai had all but forced her to make for him too.
“Why model?”
“It was my boss’s idea, really.” She shrugged. “I guess I’m pretty enough to be a model. It wasn’t bad. I got some fans I guess.”
“How come no one has come up to you?” Kai walked over to lean on the counter next to her.
“According to my social media, I’m in Paris. Also, I don’t go out much.” She turned of the stove and put the food on two plates. “I work too much.” Kai nodded in agreement as he followed her back to their desks.
“YOU MADE KAI BREAKFAST AND NOT ME?!” Chanyeol yelled, standing cross-armed in front of Vivienne's desk.
“You weren’t here.” Kai smirked, taking a bite of his pancake. Chanyeol pouted and sulked back to his desk.
***
Kris came in late that day. Vivienne glared at him as he sat down at his desk.  Baekhyun had to hold back a laugh. Vivienne was not happy with Kris, but for a good reason. He had showed up at her condo at 2am on Sunday, drunk. Like so drunk that he could barely stand. She had no idea why he had chose to come to her of all people. He was definitely closer to everyone else but yet he picked her. It was a really frustrating encounter. She had been asleep when her doorbell began to ring repeatedly.
“Kris? Hey Kris? You okay?” Vivienne asked dragging him into her home. Kris giggled and leaned on her more.
“You’re pretty.” He slurred, wrapping his arms around her and swaying. “I like you.” Vivienne’s eyes widened. Was he confessing? What the ?
“You’re really ing drunk dude.” She sniffed the air, “And you reek of booze. Ugh.” He stood up straight and looked down at her.
“Do you like me too?” She gave him a look.
“What?”
“Do you like me too?” He looked desperate. “Please tell me! I need to know.”
“Kris. You’re drunk. You have no idea what you're saying.” She roughly grabbed his arm and started to drag him to her guest bedroom.
“But I do know what I’m saying! I do!” Vivienne scoffed.
“Right.” Kris halted in his tracks and took a step closer to her. She took a step back. He advanced again.
“Stop. Kris. Stop!” She held her hands up to try to push him away. “What are you doing!” He had grabbed her hands and pushed them to her sides. He leaned in, so close that their noses brushed.
“I want you to like me. I need you to like me.” He got closer and Vivienne jerked her head back, smacking her head on the wall. She couldn’t take him down; he was drunk and his grip was really tight. “Why don’t you like me?” He breathed, the scent of alcohol invading her senses.
“You’re drunk Kris. Let’s get you into bed.” Kris’s head dropped onto her shoulder.
“You should like me.” He mumbled. She sighed and dragged him to bed.
Kris couldn’t make eye contact with Vivienne. He remembered everything: how confused she looked when she opened the door, how she didn’t think twice about dragging him into her apartment, his confession (kinda), how close he had gotten to her. He himself had no idea why he had gone to her house. His feet carried him there without his knowledge. What was the point? Why her? He shook his head. It was not the time or place to think about that. Still, it was always at the back of his mind.
***
The day passed slowly. Way too slowly. At around lunchtime, they sent Sehun and Luhan out for food and bubble tea. The two needed the sunlight and fresh air after always being cooped up in the labs. Chanyeol and Chen got into a paper ball fight when Kris had gone out with Suho for a meeting. Kyungsoo beat the two for it. Tao sharpened all his knives. Twice. He even threw one across the bullpen into the wall. Kyungsoo hit him for that too. Baekhyun and Lay were both reading quietly, while Kai and Xiumin annoyed the hell out of Vivienne, who was trying hard not to shoot them.
Despite the annoying dumpling and cupcake, Vivienne was pretty happy where she was. Being a sniper, she had never been one for working with others; usually she liked to work alone. Just her, her sniper rifle, and her target. She never thought that she would work with this ridiculous twelve member unit. Even their leader. It felt nice to know someone had your 6. It was new to her and she was getting used to it surprisingly fast. It was surprising.
Tao had been chosen to accompany Vivienne to SFW. Kai had whined, stomping his foot and saying the he was Yoon’s partner, not Tao. Kris finally gave in when Kai began to shake him. Vivienne didn’t really care who came with her.
“Im Younghee! Im Younghee! Over here!”
Cameras flashed in Vivienne's eyes, blinding her and slowly giving her a headache. She tried to keep a straight face and not grimace in frustration. Tao felt natural in front of the cameras, calmly posing. All the things she learned a year ago, how to pose, what facial expressions to make, came flooding back.
“Damn you look good.” Chen sounded smug over the com. Vivienne clenched her jaw.
“Was that for Tao or Kai?” she mumbled. Chen just laughed loudly, causing her to wince at the volume.
“You.” Chen paused. “And your cleavage. Ow!” It was obvious that someone at hit him. Vivienne, Tao, and Kai chuckled as they walked into the building.
They found Claire quickly. Claire smiled and pulled Vivienne down next to her.
“Thank you for being the one with me.” Claire turned to Tao on one side and Kai on the other side. “You too.”
The three agents scanned the room for sight of Michael Andrews. They were 80% sure it would be him. The group had agreed that Vivienne’s cover needed to stay intact and she would only jump in if absolutely necessary. Kai had a grip on her hand. Vivienne didn’t know why he did, but every time she tried to pull away, he would hold it tighter. Model after model walked by and they still didn’t see their target.
Suddenly, a gunshot rang out through the entire room. The bullet flew by and hit a man behind. There was screaming and ducking.
“Everybody down!” Kai yelled as he and Tao pulled out their guns. Vivienne threw herself onto Claire, using herself to shield her. The other members of EXO rushed in while everyone was still taking cover.
“Where did you see him go?”  Kris yelled from across the room.
“I think out the back. That way.” Kai called back, pointing to the door.
The boys ran to go after their target, while Vivienne stayed to console a hysterical Claire.
***

    It took them three days after the attempt on Claire’s life to track down their killer, Michael Andrews. They tracked him down to a warehouse in Incheon Harbor with a few ‘helpers’. Vivienne had gotten the order to kill them too. Killing them would be easy, but still, having to kill another agent was plaguing her. Those three days were spent either in the office or training on the shooting range. Every shot hit home perfectly but still she it wasn’t enough.
    “Yoon? Hey! Yoon!” she looked up to see her partner looking at her from his desk next to her.
    “What’s up cupcake?” she tried to smile but she guessed it looked more like a grimace. Kai gave her a small smile and pushed a cup of coffee closer to her.
    “Drink this. You look like hell. Like satan would be afraid of you.”
    “Hardy har har.” Vivienne rolled her eyes and took a sip. “I’m just a bit preoccupied today I suppose.” There was a pause before Kai responded.
    “Wanna talk about it?”
    “Nope”
    Sehun burst into the bullpen, frantically babbling to himself.
    “Sehun. Calm down.” Suho got up and rushed over to their youngest. “What’s wrong?”
    “You guys gotta leave now! The killer and his team are all in the warehouse. I got heat signatures. It’s the best time!” Sehun pushed Suho towards the armory. “Get your guns! And vests! You gotta go!” Everyone shot up and rapidly prepared to go.
***
The bastard had a hostage. A ing hostage. Suho knew it was his job to diffuse the situation. This job always fell on his shoulders. There was always a possibility that it wouldn’t work and the hostage would die. It always made him nervous, even though he knew he had to remain calm. Not only that, there were definitely more than one person in the building.
“Where’s Yoon?” Tao looked around as they all prepped to go inside. It was true. Vivienne was nowhere to be found. Kris was furious.
***
    Vivienne adjusted her rifle on her back, and quietly slipped through an open door.  There was a huge man sitting at a table, playing on his phone. She pulled out her KBar knife, snuck up behind him, and slit his throat. Quick and easy. She smirked and moved on to find the next target. After silently taking down four more targets, she found a good place to get set up. She was about 1,000 meters away The rest of the team was already trying to talk Michael down. She really wished that they wouldn’t be there when she took him out. It still felt wrong. But a direct order was a direct order.
    “BACK UP! OR I’LL SHOOT. I SWEAR I WILL!” She heard Michael yell from over the com. She couldn’t shoot yet. The bullet would go through him and into the hostage. After what felt like a century, Suho took the crying hostage away. Vivienne got into position. Kris took a step towards Michael with the intent of handcuffing him. 
    “Bye bye.” She whispered, then pulled the trigger. The bullet hit her target square in the head. “H2SO4 still got it.” She stood up, put her rifle on her back, and pulled out her phone. “Boss? It’s done.”
    “Well done.” Her boss sounded proud. Vivienne sighed and shoved her phone back in her pocket. She walked back towards the exit with the sound of the rest of her team loudly conversing about the sudden death of their target.
    When she rejoined the group, Kris was livid.
    “Why did you do that?!” He roared, reaching to grab her shoulders. She smacked his hands out of the way and walked over to the car to break down her gun. “Are you gonna answer me?” She didn’t respond and wiped down her knife. “Vivienne! I’m talking to you!”
    “It was an order.” She mumbled.
    “What?” He hissed.
    “It was an order!” She yelled, spinning around to glare at him. “When I get orders, I follow them! I don’t know about you but when my boss says shoot, I SHOOT!” She slammed the trunk of her car and walked around to the driver side. “Find your own way home Cupcake.”
***
    Vivienne didn’t go to work the next day. She couldn’t face Kris after what she did. He had been so angry with her. She didn’t particularly care that he was upset with her, she didn’t want to deal with his glares. She was getting a manicure when her phone rang.
“Hello?”
“Agent Lee. This is Phil. Your director.”
“Who?” Vivienne chuckled. Her director laughed.
“You joker you.” Suddenly he turned serious. “The USMC needs your help.” Vivienne’s eyes widened.
“Why me?”
“Because they asked for you.” The director paused. “And I know you Vivienne. You feel bad after shooting another agent. You’re definitely avoiding Agent Wu and everyone else in the EXO unit. You need a vacation and I know that this job will be a release.” Vivienne chewed on the inside of her cheek.
“Where will I be going?”
“You’ll do it?”
“Where will I go?” she asked again.
“Iraq. There is a terrorist cell that needs to be taken down in Mosul. You’ve helped this team before in Fallujah. Sergeant Major Craig Lewis asked for you specifically.”
“Ahh… Makes sense. When do I leave?” The director chuckled.
“I knew you would agree.”
***
Suho kept looking up at the door to the office. Everytime he heard the door open he hoped it would be Vivienne but it never was.
‘Where is she?’ he thought. ‘What could have happened?’ He looked over at Kris who had his face in his hands, obviously out of it. Something was wrong and he needed to find out what. He picked up his phone and dialed her number. No answer. Now he was really worried.
***
Vivienne took her helmet off and shook out her hair. It was nice to be out of the stuffy city and in a nice hot, sunny, open desert. Even though it was a warzone. But that added to the fun. She chuckled. What sort of person could relax in a warzone? A violent, workaholic, military trained, CIA agent named Vivienne Yoongi Lee, that’s who.
“Agent Lee. Welcome to the Darkside.” Vivienne smiled at Sergeant Major Lewis.
“Good to be here. It’s great to see you.” He nodded and led her to a tent.
“You can bunk in here while you’re here.” She walked in and dropped her bag on a bed. 
“Pretty nice if you ask me.” She nodded and looked around. “Yup. Pretty nice.” The tent was pretty spacious, with beds lining the two sides. It didn’t seem that many others were in the tent with her. “Who else is in here?”
“The four other guys in the team you’ll be working with. Fire team Red Eclipse. One of the best teams we got out here.” Lewis nodded proudly. Vivienne smirked and followed him out to eat dinner with the other soldiers. 
***
A week later, Vivienne still hadn’t returned to work. Kai, Suho, and surprisingly Kris were more anxious than the rest of the unit. It wasn’t like Vivienne to disappear. Even if she was late, she would always call. Something didn’t feel right and no one could figure out what it was.
***
Over the week she had been in Mosul, she got to know everyone in the camp. She really got to know the fire team she would be working with. The four members were an amazing team. Lance Corporal Edwin Mendiola was the moodmaker. He was always cracking jokes and leading the conversation at dinner. Kids loved him. He talked during fire fights and training and even though he was the lowest ranking member of the team, he never seemed uncomfortable in his position. It was never boring with Mendiola around. Corporal Eli Benesch was serious. Vivienne had only heard him laugh twice. He was a wizard with languages and the locals seemed to trust him. Staff Sergeant Taylor Nelson was quiet, and always followed orders. He was loyal and always made sure everyone was taken care of. He was a little OCD but it was always helpful. The leader was everything a leader should be. 1st Sergeant Brent Ferguson was strong and caring. He was practical and the first thing he did after any training or fights was check on everyone else before himself.  She absolutely, thoroughly enjoyed their company.
“Then she literally climbed over Serg B.” Mendiola laughed. “God Lilly is a riot.” Lilly was Ferguson’s six year old daughter. Literally the cutest child ever. 
“Lilly is a young child. She’s very playful.” a small smile graced Ferguson’s face. He really missed his family. 
“So Viv. I hear you trained with the SEALS.” Mendiola shoved a piece of chicken into his mouth. “And that you’re the famous H2SO4.” Vivienne laughed.
“I wouldn’t call myself famous but yeah. I am H2SO4.”
“Damn!” Benesch mumbled. “Glad you’re on our side.”
***
Kris pressed the code into the keypad into Vivienne’s apartment. Everything was in order. Nothing seemed out of place. He looked around the spacious kitchen. No plates on the drying rack. No fruit in the fruit bowl. He opened the fridge. Nothing but condiments, wine, and beer in the fridge. Frowning, he turned around and walked to the her bedroom. Her bed was made, nothing in the hamper, absolutely nothing out of place. He was about to leave when he noticed something on the desk. On it was Vivienne’s phone and ID. Her real one. Not an alias. She was definitely not living in her apartment and he doubted she was even in South Korea.
***
“We’ll go in hot and take as many down as we can.” Ferguson said loudly, trying to be heard over the loud sound of the HMMWV driving through the desert. “Try to keep at least one alive. I’m leaving that to you Nelson.” Nelson nodded and adjusted his rifle. “Agent Lee. You just do what you do best. I know I don’t need to worry about your skills.” Vivienne smiled. She really like the way Ferguson respected and believed in her and never felt the need to protect her based on her gender. He treated her like everyone else on the team. 
“Yeah Viv. Do that H2SO4 thing you do.” Mendiola laughed, tightening her helmet. She swatted him off and stuck her tongue out. Vivienne felt ready. five weeks preparing, she knew this operation would go off without a hitch. The team was strong and skilled. They were definitely better than anything they were about to face.
***
Five weeks. It had been five weeks since Vivienne had gone missing. The boys couldn’t find her anywhere. Even Sehun’s supreme hacking skills couldn’t find her. It was like she just disappeared of the face of the earth. Five weeks was a long time. They wondered if she was still alive.
***
Vivienne got into position in the building across the street from where the terrorists were hiding out. She set up her gun, smiling at the feel of the smooth, cool metal in her hands.
“Kitty in position.” She whispered, looking through her scope and lining up the crosshairs on on the head of one of the men. “I got the shot.”
“Good.” Ferguson’s voice crackled over the com. “On my mark. Ready… Set… Go!” Vivienne pulled the trigger. She didn’t have to look to see that she had hit her target. She put her gun onto her back and ran into the other building. 
There was shouting, Ferguson shouting orders, the cell leader shouting orders, Mendiola talking. So much was going on. Vivienne winced as a bullet grazed her cheek. She growled and shot the man who shot at her. 
“Nice shot!” Mendiola laughed. “Guy wasn’t- AH!”
“Mendiola!” Vivienne yelled, turning and killed the terrorist. “You ok?!”
“I’m fine Viv. Keep going. I’m ok. It’s just a flesh wound.” Mendiola laughed, dragging himself out of harm’s way. 
Vivienne was about to respond when she was hit in the face with the of a gun and knocked back into a wall. 
“Son of a .” She hissed. She retaliated quickly, jumping on the guy and stabbing her assailant, her gun laying on the floor where it had flown after she was hit.
“Lee you ok?!” Benesch called from across the room where he was engaged in his own fight.
“All good!” She called back, retrieving her gun and rushing into position next to him.
“There’s a hostage! It’s a child!” Nelson cried.
“.” Ferguson growled. “Lee! I need you to shoot the guy. Nelson! Get the kid out of here!” Vivienne grunted in reply, holstered her baretta and went to find a position where she could take the guy down from.
“I’m in position. I need to keep the guy occupied for a minute.” She bit her lip. She listened to Nelson yelling at the man to release the child. The terrorist pointed his gun at Nelson. “Taking the shot.” Vivienne pulled the trigger. Head shot. Nelson grabbed the child and ran out of the building. She sighed and stood up. “We’re clear.” 
There was more yelling and gunfire. Vivienne unloaded about seven clips and was running out until there was silence.
“We got one! He’s surrendered.” She heard Ferguson call. “We’re clear.” She sighed and holstered her gun. She rushed over to Mendiola who was leaning up against the wall, his leg had stopped bleed and his breathing was normal.
“You good Viv?” Mendiola smiled up at her. “Of course you are you tough, tough, badass.” Vivienne chuckled.
“And you are a .” She pulled Mendiola up and helped him out to the HMMWV.
Outside Benesch was consoling the child who seemed to have calmed down. Ferguson was on the phone with his boss.
“You’re a really good shot, you know that Lee?” Nelson smiled down at her. She squinted up at him, blinking against the bright sun. 
“Thanks. It was fun.” She smiled back. Ferguson patted her back.
“You did good.” Vivienne wiped the blood from her face and smiled wider. She felt a lot better. She could definitely happily go back to work.
***
Six weeks after Vivienne went missing, EXO unit had given up on her returning. Kai had been drinking more than he used to, Suho had thrown himself into his work, even Luhan was down. 
It was the Monday morning after the raid, Vivienne returned to work. She happily stepped off the elevator and made her way to her desk.
“Yoon?” Vivienne smiled at Kai who had just exited the kitchen.
“Hey cupcake.” Kai was astonished. She looked different, happier, calmer, relaxed. She was tanner and… covered in cuts and bruises?!
“Yoon! What happened?!” She shrugged.
“Just a relaxing vacation in Mosul, Iraq.”
“IRAQ?! RELAXING?!”He yelled, turning red. “What were you doing in IRAQ?!”
“You were in Iraq?” Asked Suho quietly. Vivienne nodded and took a sip of her coffee. Kris finally looked up from his desk at the tan, beat up CIA agent.
“Yeah.” She replied. “Just a little USMC/CIA mission.” Kris was astonished.
“What did you do?” He asked, trying not to glare at her.
“A nice, easy raid on a terrorist cell. It was fun.” She smiled. “Kinda relaxing.”
“Relaxing? Fun?” Luhan whispered, standing at the entrance from the lab. “YOU CALL LEAVING WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE, GOING INTO A WARZONE WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF GETTING KILLED FUN AND RELAXING?! HOW COULD YOU EVEN THINK THAT?!” he took a deep breath. “Do you know how worried we were?” He looked at the floor before running towards her and pulling her into a hug. “Don’t do that again, ok? Don’t ever do that again. Tell us next time. Please?” Vivienne tried to struggle free, stupidly uncomfortable with the forensic scientist’s close proximity. 
“O-ok.” she lightly patted his back.