Part 5

The Backdoor

            Just like that week, the rest of the month drug on and flew by at the same time. I had that strange timeless feeling when you do the same thing you did before you went to bed right as you woke up so it was like you never went to sleep in between. The hours I spent working blurred together and before I knew it my deadline was coming up quickly.

            Jongdae messaged me every few days or so to make sure my progress was going smoothly and Yixing came by once to force me to take a break and cooked me dinner. I’d just gotten off the phone with the editor, he explained that after I was finished they’d take a day to look at them and would send them back to me for the final touches before sending them to the print shop on the last day of this month. I let him know that the plan was going to push it but it was still doable for me.

            “That’s great! And listen, after I drop the package off at the printer all the staff and anyone else involved all go out for dinner to celebrate, we’d really like you to be there if you can make it” he’d said.

            My first thought was to definitely accept, but if everyone involved was going to be there, that meant Luhan, and I still wasn't sure what Luhan meant. "I'll see what I can do" I didn't give him an exact answer so that he wouldn't count on anything.

            “Okay” he was a little upset but was trying to be hopeful, “just text me if you feel like coming and I’ll give you the details”

            “Will do” I hung up quickly before I could start to feel bad and decided to stop for the day so that I could eat something and take a shower before the news came on. When I was sitting on the couch I wondered if I’d finished too early today because I wasn’t feeling tired at all. It’s too late to go out. I scrolled through my emails mindlessly and tried to come up with something to do to tire myself out when Yixing text me asking me how I was doing. I replied that I was done working for today but I couldn’t sleep. I figured he’d ask me to go and do something with him then but he turned around and called me.

            “What is it?” I answered.

            “What’s wrong?” he didn’t sound concerned, he just knew that there was something I wanted to talk to him about.

            “Well, Jongdae just told me that I’m invited to the big staff dinner at the end of the month to celebrate” I got right to it instead of beating around the bush because Yixing knew me too well.

            “That’s good” he answered with enthusiasm that slowly turned into a question as to why I didn't seem to be happy about it.

            "Staff dinner means Luhan will be there" I informed him.

            "And Luhan is... the guy form the bar... the guitarist that-"

            I cut him off before he could remind me too much of that crazy night. "Yes, that guy is Luhan, he's one of the editor's 'best models'" I did an imitation of Jongdae but Yixing didn't catch it because he'd only met him once. "I'm asking you if you think I should go"

            "Hmm" he hummed into the phone and it sounded nice to me because I knew he was thinking hard about it for me. "I think you should definitely go" was his decision. "Luhan acted the way he did to help you, even if it was in his own way, so I don't think he'd try anything as long as he isn't provoked. Besides you never know who's going to be there, you need to put yourself into the scene more to find new jobs"

            "I guess you're right" I'd begun to see it his way which was always easier. "There will be a lot of people there, I'll probably have to say hi to him and then I won't have to bother with him the rest of the night"

            "Go, celebrate and meet some people and if you need me call me" he concluded making sure I understood what his final verdict was.

            "Thank you Yixing, I don't know why you're still so good to me after all this time" I smiled and I could feel him smiling on the other end too.

 

            I was so out of breath; the most breathless I'd ever been in my life. I was running through an alley way but I didn't exactly know what from; I just knew I had to run as fast as I could and get away. It was late at night, so late that despite the many night shoppers there still seemed to be no one around, no one to give me help.

            I headed up the bridge that stretched across the wide river and stopped to catch myself when a chill ran up my spine. I turned around in a flash to see Luhan, pinning me up against the hand rails, whispering something into my ear like I'm going to kiss you now and then I out.

 

            I woke up feeling even more drained then I had before I took my nap. I'd taken the finished collection to Jongdae very early this morning and we had a cup of coffee in the shop that we'd decided to meet up at for the exchange and I told him that I was planning on coming to dinner later that night.

            "I'm glad you decided to come, we like to treat everybody that participated so I was going to be sad if you couldn't make it since you've been a major part of this issue" he was relieved as he explained to me where the restaurant was and how we'd have an entire room reserved in the back so we didn't have to worry about getting rowdy. "I'm catching the train because we usually drink so if you want to be on the safe side"

            "I see" I wasn't sure if I was in the mood to drink but that was probably just because it was so early and I was running on so few hours of sleep.

            When I returned home after getting some shopping done I put my sweatpants back on and curled up into my bed for a nap. I could tell now that I wasn't going to be granted that peace so I got up to do a little cleaning since I'd neglected my apartment these past few stressful days. When I was satisfied with the place it was just about time to start getting ready so I picked out my clothes and headed for the shower.

 

            The train was not my favorite form of transportation, mostly because I wasn't used to having to take it. I've had my own car since I was an adult, and before then my parents always had someone hired to take me where ever I needed to go.

            Thankfully Jongdae had offered to meet me at the train station and walk me down to where the restaurant was because it was a bit far away and it was in an area of Seoul that I wasn't very familiar with. "Minseok!" he called to catch my attention. "You don't look very good" he laughed when I caught up with him. "Train makes you sick?"

            "I guess so" I replied and he pulled a water bottle out of his bag he had slung around his shoulder, opening it and handing it to me. "Thanks" I took a sip and put the cap back on and we started down the sidewalk.

            "Listen, we're going to have the final layout playing on a slide show on the wall for a while, just a heads up"

            "Oh?" I opened the water bottle and took a large drink at this time.

            "Don't be nervous, but I invited a few editors from our partnering magazines so they'll be looking at your work. I honestly think they'll like you, so be prepared to get a mountain of business cards"

            "You didn't have to do that" Jongdae understood that I was only just now becoming a professional in my field, which is why he was a little weary of hiring me in the beginning. In fact, I still don't even know why he decided to give me a chance, but I think I did my best so I hope this will open up some opportunities for me and that's probably what he was thinking when he invited everyone. "With my little experience, why did you even take a chance in hiring me?"

            A slight smile appeared on his face like he was trying to hold it back which was unusual compared to his easy grin. "Everyone was in that position at once in their life, hell I was when my sunbae gave me a chance take over a project." he laughed at the memory and I kind of wanted to know the rest of that story. "And, I don't know there was something about you that made me want to help you. I still get that feeling right now"

            "Ah" I took another sip to avoid saying something in response and we just walked in silence now. I wonder what that feeling is he's talking about? I asked myself, not because it made me uncomfortable, hearing that someone you just barely met has an unknown feeling about you, but because I thought I might be the same.

 

            I stuck close to Jongdae for the first thirty minutes or so. The restaurant we were at wasn't too crowded tonight so our large party wasn't disturbing anyone trying to have a peaceful night. I tried to avoid looking over at the slideshow playing on a sheet hung from the far wall but I couldn't help myself most times and now I knew where in the montage my photos fit and I would look away when I knew they were coming up.

            A moment after I'd caught myself blankly watching the screen, analyzing the photos from the other projects and how well done they were, when I realized Jongdae had given me the slip. I panicked for a second but quickly calmed myself down when a tall and handsome man approached me.

            "Hello there" he smiled and I felt the powerful and confident aura just roll off him and smother me.

            "Ah hello" I replied and bowed unconsciously.

            "I'm Kris Yifan, you could say I'm Jongdae's boss." Jongdae's boss, why does he want to talk to me? "Well actually I'm Jongdae's boss' boss" he corrected with a playful laugh only making me more nervous. "Relax" He patted my knee, "I just wanted to personally thank you for your contributions to another good issue. I have to admit I didn't trust Jongdae when he suggested having you do the shoot, but I'm glad he convinced me"

            "Thank you" I shook his hand as he left and continued to sip on my glass I'd picked up earlier to calm myself.

            "That guy, he really gets on my nerves sometimes" someone who had met me from behind said, most likely referring to Yifan. I looked behind me to see Luhan in surprising attire.

            He had taken a seat at one of the cocktail tables and had his legs neatly crossed because he was wearing a skirt with a pair of fancy tights masking the more manly features of his legs making them look long and slender topped off with heeled boots and a frilly shirt. Long curled locks sat at his shoulders from the wig and I wondered if someone had done his makeup or if he was really that good at drawing winged eyeliner. "Luhan?" I asked just to make sure the pretty girl sitting in front of me really was the punk guitarist I knew Luhan to be.

            "Don't you say a thing about how I'm dressed. I had to" he downed his drink which didn't look very ladylike. "Every time we do these dumb things I have to dress like this. Is it just to make fun of me or what?"

            I felt like I could relax a little now that I was with someone familiar and I chuckled at him pouting. "You really don't look bad like that"

            "Shut up, I know" he flipped the fake locks back dramatically and I scoffed.

            I saw Jongdae again from where he was talking to someone across the room and when he noticed I was sitting alone with Luhan he looked concerned but I smiled at him and he smiled back. "You two have gotten surprisingly close" Luhan mentioned as he watched us communicate with each other with only our eyes.

            "Really? I like being with him but I don't think we're close at all. He's done a lot for me despite that and I'm very thankful" I remembered that his boss Yifan said he didn't want to hire me at first but Jongdae changed his mind. I wondered what he said about me to do that.

            Luhan seemed grumpy now, "Jongdae doesn't usually do things for no reason. He has some motive behind bringing a nervous guy like you in all of this"

            I wanted to ask him what he meant but a group of people said that they'd finally found me and started to hand me their cards and ask me questions about how I got into the business and how they'd like to attempt to work with me. When they finally left I breathed again and Luhan had left so I just sat there. My drink was empty now and I debated on getting up to find another when Luhan came back with one for himself and one for me. "You look like you definitely haven't had enough of these"

            "Thanks" I took the glass from him and he sat next to me instead of at the table behind me.

            "Don't you have somewhere you need to be?" I looked around, from what I'd caught of Jongdae he hadn't sat down once, more and more people kept finding him and talking to him.

            "I don't particularly enjoy working with any of these people, I'm only here because I'm getting paid to be, and there's free drinks" He drank some more and picked some food off a platter that was being carried around. He offered me some but I declined since I already ate when I arrived and I couldn't even imagine being hungry in a situation like this.

            We talked a little more before Jongdae came to find me to introduce me to a few more people. I pulled out my wallet and he was right, it really was stuffed with various business cards I felt my cell phone buzz so I placed my wallet down on the table to check if it was Yixing asking how it was going. I had it set to when Yixing text me it would flash a yellow light but it was blinking red signaling that I actually had a low battery. What, I could have sworn I plugged it in before I took that nap? I sighed and stuffed it back in my pocket; Jongdae had told me that this was almost over anyways so maybe I could make it back home before it died.

            "Do you think you can make it back to the station by yourself? I have some things I have to do at the office before I go home so I can't walk you back" Jongdae let me know as everyone was gathering their things to leave.

            "Yeah I should be fine" I assured him even though he looked reluctant.

            "Are you sure? I could always walk you over there first" he offered but I knew the office was in the opposite direction and he must be tired already.

            "No that's too much, I'll text you when I get home" that sounded a little sappy but I didn't really mind if it would make him more at ease, which was the lease I could do. "Thank you for everything you've done until now"

            He smiled and agreed to let me go alone but not before extending his arms. "Come here"

            Normally I wouldn't want to give a sudden hug, but right now I felt so welcomed that I met him and he clapped his hands on my back telling me 'you're welcome' and 'be safe' before I left first.

            "Finally free!" Someone came from the back door startling me. "Oh Minseok?" Luhan was making his way over to me. "You going home already?"

            "The dinner is over, and it’s late" I looked around trying to remember at least which direction we came from. "Are you going in the direction of the train station by any chance?"

            "Train station? Yeah yeah" he sounded confused at first but linked his arm in mine and started to pull me along.

            "Will you let go of me" I pulled my arm from his "You know what, I'll just take a taxi" I went over to the edge of the street and waited as one went by not stopping because it already had a passenger but the next pulled over to where I was. I told him my address and asked him how much it would cost to get there but when I went to check how much money was in my wallet I found that it was missing. "Ah, I left my wallet on the table"

            "That place is closed by now, you'll have to go back in the morning" Luhan let me know and I told the cab driver sorry before he gave me an angry 'fine' and drove off.

            "I cannot believe I left my wallet there." I tried to check my cellphone to see if I could find my location but it had already shut off and wouldn't turn back on.

            "It's okay, I told you I know where the train station is didn't I" I looked at Luhan, he was very obviously drunk, and maybe I was a bit buzzed too because I decided to trust him and follow him down the street.

            Twenty minutes passed and my feet were starting to hurt, I didn't remember it taking this long to walk from the station with Jongdae so I was starting to doubt Luhan really knew where he was going. I looked around but nothing seemed familiar at all, especially since it was dark now. "How do you keep walking in those shoes?" I asked Luhan as he kept treading down the sidewalk.

            "These?" He looked down like he didn't even remember he was wearing boots with heels on them. "I've worn worse" he brushed it off "But god these are so itchy" he stopped to situate his wig. "Hmm it really should be somewhere around here"

            "We should just ask someone for directions" I suggested but he immediately turned the idea down.

            "Don't you know that real men aren't supposed to ask for directions?"

            "Are you really going to say that while you're dressed the way you are?" I couldn't help but laugh and he punched me in the arm.

            "Just a little further I know where we are"

            "Alright, but in fifteen minutes when we're still lost you can find your way home by yourself and I'll ask for directions." I followed him though I knew now even if he did know where he was going he was probably too drunk to find the way, that's why I couldn't just leave him. We wondered into what seemed like a residential area because there weren't any more late night shoppers walking down the street giving us double takes. There was a park but no one was in it now because there were only a few street lamps making it too dark to play at night.

            "Yes!" Luhan yelled and took off running towards a truck parked next to the park "Food!"

            "We just ate" I complained but continued after him.

            Luhan ordered after the man in the food truck explained how lucky he was because he was just about to shut down for the night since everyone had left. He pointed at a painted picture on the side of the truck after he'd ordered and was told to wait for just a bit "You know what this reminds me of? When I was a kid in China I would always want to go out and get baozi for lunch"

            "You lived in China?" I asked but he ignored me and poked me in the cheek.

            "Your cheeks remind me of baozi too" he giggled and poked me again.

            "Stop it" I slapped his hand away and the man delivered his plate full of sweet sugar coated bread. "You wasted cash we could have used to get a taxi on a bunch of sweets?"

            "I didn't waste anything these are delicious, and I'm hungry. Come have some" he thanked the man in the truck and went to a bench sitting under a street lamp to eat, patting the spot next to him.

            I sat down and watched as the truck drove away leaving us alone in the park. "I should have asked him for directions" I sighed heavily and leaned back waiting for someone else to come along.

            "Want one?" Luhan held up one of the bite size breads but I just sat there silently so he shrugged his shoulders and ate it himself. "Mmm I'm gonna kiss you now"

            I flinched nearly falling off the bench as I tried to get away because I was having flashbacks to my dream, but when I looked over at him he was only holding up his last bite and kissing it like some dumb child. "Can you not? You scared me"

            I settled back down but in a low hushed voice he said "Minseok" and grabbed my chin, pulling me into a kiss.

            My first reaction was to struggle but when I got away I could taste the sugar on my lips and it tasted good. Even if someone came by Luhan was dressed like a girl, in the dark no one at a glance would be able to tell that he was actually just cross dressing so I let myself lean in again and he chuckled before closing the gap with another kiss.

 

*Sorry if things seem to switch scenes awkwardly, that's something I really need to work on (ー○ー)=3 This chapter was actually a little long and that's because I just couldn't find a good stopping point until now... I'm curious to see who you guys want Minseok to end up with fufufu right now it seems like it could be either right? A big thank you to everybody who's already subscribed and I got an upvote woot!*