Part 3

The Backdoor

            Two straight guys walk into a gay bar…

            “This place seems pretty normal to me” Yixing commented after we’d survived the sketchy walk down that alleyway because that was the only way I knew how to get here.

            “What were you expecting?” someone laughed from behind us and clapped a hand onto Yixing’s shoulder. “You must be Kim Minseok!”

            I turned around to see an unfamiliar man dressed in a button down with an ed suit jacket to look in-business but still casual at the same time, standing with his hand outstretched towards my friend for a handshake. “Actually that’s me” I corrected.

            “Oh I see” he removed his offer for a handshake but still bowed slightly to my friend and in turn offered his hand to me which was his original intention. “Sorry, I’m Kim Joonmyun; I’m the manager and the owner here”

            “It’s nice to finally meet you” it made sense now why this stranger was trying to talk to us, the editor, since they were good friends, had probably said something about me to him.

            “It’s my pleasure, I’m glad that you decided to give us a shot, I hope you’ll see that despite the label some people put on my bar we’re nothing more than a bunch of friends trying to have a good time here” He smiled and bowed again to the both of us before excusing himself and wondering off through the crowd of people over to the bar where Chanyeol was furiously making drinks.

            “There’s so many people here” I searched through the crowd to find the few faces from the last time I was here. The waiter Baekhyun was over in the back corner taking the order for a large round table completely packed with customers. The guys from the front, Jongin, was also helping take orders from people sitting at tables but he kept glancing over to one customer sitting by himself over by the stage.

            “Which one is the guy who invited you?” Yixing stood on the tips of his toes to look over all the heads for a table for us to sit at and we squeezed ourselves through.

            "Well if it isn't the cute date" Baekhyun recognized me when he came to take our order.

            "Ah, Kim Minseok" I reminded him of my name but he didn't really bother.

            "Can I get you some drinks to start the night with?"

            "We'll take two of whatever I had last time" Yixing was always better at taking alcohol than I was, so I'd been excited to let him try this drink to see what he thought. "And do you know where Editor Kim is?"

            "Oh Jongdae? He's been in the back trying to avoid this crowd, I'll go get him"

            "Thank you" I called after him when he quickly whipped around and easily slipped between the people over to a door near the stage.

            "You came!" the editor finally appeared with two beers in his hands, he stopped when he saw I wasn't sitting alone and his smile faded a bit. "I should go get one more"

            "It's okay we've already ordered" I scooted my chair over so we could fit one more around the table and he set the beers down so he could pull one up. "This is my good friend Zhang Yixing and this is the guy who hired me for the shoot editor Kim Jongdae."

            "Please just call me Jongdae, it'll just get confusing if we use formalities since you're older than me" he opened his beer and left the other one which was probably for me on the table behind us.

            "You are?" This was the first I heard of this.

            "By two years" he held up a thumb and a forefinger and waved it in the air with a cute smile.

            "Wow Minseok you're the oldest one here, you should start taking better care of your skin" Yixing tried to tease me by reaching over and pinching my cheek, which I thought here probably wasn't the most appropriate place for my handsy friend to be playing around.

            "Stop it no I'm not" I hit his hand away and leaned over to see how much longer it'd be for our drinks but the bartender had left the waiter Baekhyun take over his place and had taken the stage to fiddle around with his drum set and the mess of wires behind it.

            "Oh looks like they're getting ready to start soon. Come on lets hurry over!" he grabbed my wrist and began to tug me along to force our way to the front.

            "But, we haven't gotten our drinks yet" I looked back to make sure Yixing was able to follow us.

            "Don't worry I'll get you some later" He threw me past a few more people until I was standing at the very front, he and Yixing at both of my sides behind me. Chanyeol looked up from where he'd been tightening his symbols and smiled at us making the crowd cheer. The door to the back by the stage opened and Luhan appeared with his guitar strapped around his shoulder and his hair styled in a hot mess of gel and hairspray. He was wearing dark grey tight yet baggy jeans, a tank top that said ‘kill ‘em’ with skulls on it, a denim button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up and some black converse sneakers; I had to give it to him, he had a unique sense of style. He took his place on the stage and tuned his guitar before plugging it into the amp that sat at the edge of the stage in front of him. When he leaned down to mess with a few of the dials he caught sight of me and I sifted awkwardly on my feet under his surprised glare.

            "Ehum" Chanyeol cleared his throat over the microphone to get the attention of everybody. "We're about to get the show started so if you could please gather around. I said we should wait until the end to play it but we decided to start with the new song we've been working on so please enjoy!" he fixed his mic back into the stand and positioned it again.

            The dark haired boy that was sitting alone stood up and took the stage also, pulling the mic down from where it was resting on the stand and flicking the button to turn it on, he must be Kyungsoo then. "Ah, it was actually Chanyeol that couldn't wait to show you this" the crowed chuckled in unison at his remark and he gave a very awkward yet cute smile making me wonder what kind of sound would really come out of him. "Ok, this is Playboy" The crowd cheered once more while Luhan began the song with his guitar filling the room with a smooth and electric jazz feel and Chanyeol followed soon after with the steady beat. "Let's play" the boy seductively said into the mic before singing. His voice was compelling I gave him that, despite his awkward attempts to move his hips and body roll, he had everyone listening and moving their heads along to the beat.

            Although Baekhyun was still getting a few people drinks at the bar, the other waiter Jongin had stopped to watch, leaning against the wall over to the side. I'd only noticed him when Kyungsoo glanced over at him and gave him a sly smirk causing Jongin to blush and bob his head down. What exactly is going on here I thought to myself and decided I'd ask Jongdae about it later. The song ended and he looked back up to give them applause before the next song started.

            "I'm going to go get you those drinks" Jongdae had to lean over and speak directly into my ear for me to hear which made me jump a bit.

            "I'll go with him, I need to find the bathroom" Yixing said in the other and they both turned and left me alone. The next song that was on didn't have the same ual innuendo to it which was a relief but it did still sound jazzy which I assumed was because that's what best fit his voice. I thought one of them had returned when I felt someone stand closer behind me, but it obviously wasn't Yixing when I had my grabbed. My face flushed a bright red and I couldn't turn around because I didn't want to draw attention to myself so instead I just stood there stiffly hoping Jongdae would return soon and save me.

            Luhan who seemed to be enjoying himself on stage made eye contact with me again and he must have noticed my extreme discomfort because his eyebrows furrowed and he stopped playing. He ripped the cord that connected to the amp out of his guitar and jumped down off the stage causing the crowd to fall back and start murmuring amongst themselves as he grabbed me by the shirt and pulled me over to him planting a kiss right on my lips. Everyone gasped and I wiggled out of his grip as fast as I could, covering my mouth and looking over at Jongdae who had his jaw dropped.

            "Ah come on I was in the middle of my solo!" Chanyeol complained and scratched his head in frustration. Kyungsoo looked over at Jongin with his eyes even larger and whiter with shock and Jongin shrugged his shoulders to tell him that he had no idea what was going on either.

            "Alright next song!" Luhan jumped back onto the stage, plugged his guitar back into the amp and threw his fist into the air.

            "Okay!" Chanyeol yelled in confusion but started playing the next song along with Luhan and the singer rushed to find the next beat to slip in on. The crowd all ignored the random act and continued to enjoy the show while Jongdae lead me away into the back, Yixing following in confusion since he'd missed the scene.

            "Luhan that punk! He doesn't know when he's being too much!" Joonmyun said angrily when Jongdae told him why we were hiding in his office. "He thinks I won't make them find a new guitarist"

            "You know they won't preform if it’s not him right?" Jongdae sighed and offered me the drink he'd finally got for us.

            "Thanks" I took it from him but just held it in my lap.

            You could still hear the music from back here, it came to an end and the crowd cheered. We heard the door to the back open again and Luhan emerged, setting his guitar against the wall and taking my drink from my hands returning it to me after he'd almost finished it. "We're taking a little break"

            "Luhan! Care to explain your behavior?" Joonmyun questioned him immediately.

            "Did you see that creepy guy feeling up Minseok?" Luhan ignored the manager and turned to Jongdae. "You didn't" he answered for him when Jongdae couldn't find something to say. I blushed because I hadn't gotten around to telling him or Yixing that.

            "I'm sorry I shouldn't have left you there alone" Jongdae tried to apologize to me and Yixing shook his head in agreement.

            "Anyways," Luhan directed the focus back to him after I tried to tell Jongdae that it really was okay and Joonmyun tried to explain to Yixing and I that not everyone was a low life like that. "As long as people think he's mine no one will try to even come near him"

            "He's right about that" Joonmyun backed him up making it unclear who's side he was really on "I don't know anyone here who would dare get in Luhan's way"

            "Even if that's true we could have found another way to handle that situation, you didn't even ask Minseok if he wanted people to think you were together" Jongdae tried to stand up for me.

            "Well?" Luhan crossed his arms and looked at me, "Do you want me to go back out there and tell everyone that it was just a joke?"

            Everyone in the room went silent as they waited for my answer. "I- I think I just need to call it a night" I looked over at Yixing for his backup.

            "Yea we really should go" he stood up and began to help escorting me back out to the front, Jongdae following behind us in bewilderment about what he should do. When we opened the door everyone turned to stare at me until I realized they were just waiting for Luhan who was following behind us.

            “We ready to start again?” he hollered over to Chanyeol who was laughing at Baekhyun as he tried to teach him how to mix the drinks the correct way behind the bar. As people rushed to resume their spot in front of the stage someone was pushed over and bumped into me, spilling what was left of my drink all over my shirt. “Hey!” Luhan yelled at him but I stopped him quickly before he caused another scene.

            “It’s okay I’ll just run to the bathroom” Yixing pointed me in the direction and told me that he’d wait by the exit. The rest of the crowd parted for me as I made my way to where the bathroom was which just made me feel worse because they all looked down an judged me as I went by. I slipped past the door and let out a relieved sigh. This is a disaster. I turned the corner; not exactly sure I wanted to see how bad the mess was in fear that it’d ruined my shirt. I stopped when I heard someone struggling in one of the stalls. I looked and saw two sets of feet pointed in the opposite direction, are they fighting? I creeped over because I couldn’t just leave without trying to help. “Are you okay?” I asked as I tapped on the stall and it swung open easily revealing the waiter Jongin with his hands on either side of the singer Kyungsoo and his hips pressed firmly against him.

            “Damn I thought I locked that” Jongin casually flung the door shut again and clicked the lock into place leaving me standing there with my hand still in the air ready to offer help to the boy who obviously didn’t want it.

            Just get some towels and leave! I hurried myself over to the sink and grabbed a handful of napkins that were sitting in a basket on the counter and rushed out, bumping into Luhan as I did.

            “Hey was Kyungsoo in there? We’re trying to start again” he tried to push past me but I threw my hands up to stop him.

            “Ah! He’s kind of held up! I saw him in a stall! I mean-” I stuttered as I tried to find a way to say he wasn’t ready without saying he was in the middle of a make out session because it embarrassed me.

            “Oh Luhan you’re back? Let’s get going” Kyungsoo came out of the bathroom behind me and slipped past me, bumping his shoulder into my arm in the process.

            Luhan burst out laughing when he saw Kyungsoo’s death glare shoot towards me and when Jongin came ducking out of the bathroom not too much later he pieced it together easily. “I see! You walked in on them didn’t you? Kyungsoo hates that!”

            “Yah Luhan! Get over here!” Kyungsoo yelled on the stage and Luhan followed picking up his guitar on the way.

            “Are you ready to go?” Yixing who said he’d wait by the door came to find me.

            “Yes, please get me out of here”