Part 4

The Backdoor

            “What am I supposed to do now?” I asked Yixing. Normally I would never let someone else drive my car, but I trusted my dear friend so I allowed him to drive me home.

            “What do you mean?” he asked while keeping his eyes on the road.

            “I mean I’m going to see them again at the end of the month, how am I supposed to act around them now?” I crossed my arms against my chest because my damp shirt was making me cold.

            “Just act normal?” he didn’t quite understand why I was nervous about it; I didn’t quite understand why I was nervous about it either. “Did it disgust you? Being kissed by him?”

            “I don’t know, I don’t think so?” I felt like I should be saying yes, but disgust was such a harsh feeling that I’d never really felt and I honestly didn’t want to feel that way about Luhan, strange as he may be.

            “Well then just act normal.” He concluded leaving me to think it over in silence.

            After a few minutes I spoke up again. “You know, I really wanted to become their friend.” My voice was in a low murmur just barely audible above the sounds of the car and the traffic outside. “I was really happy when Jongdae asked me out for drinks. They seem like a good bunch of people.” Yixing nodded his head in agreement. “You know you’ve been my only friend for years. I mean I wouldn’t have it any other way!” I sat up and tried to fix what I was saying to make it not sound bad but he just had a smile on his face so I relaxed again. “It’s just I need something new in my life”

            “I know,” he replied. “and I agree”.

 

            I said good bye to Yixing at our cars after inviting him to come back up but he kindly refused and I admitted that I was probably just going to take another hot shower and then go to bed. We didn’t hug or anything, partly because I didn’t want to get him dirty, and partly because we felt this strange atmosphere around us after going to a gay bar together.

            “I’ll talk to you later. If you need me just call” he waved and got into his car before backing out and driving away.

            I waited until I couldn’t see his headlights any longer before heading over to my apartment. Once inside I placed my keys back into the bowl on the counter where they belonged and pushed in the chair that Yixing left sitting in the middle of the kitchen. I started to peel my shirt off on the way to my room and realized that the clothes I’d set out earlier were still lying on my bed. Confused on why I didn’t immediately hang them back up I went over and noticed something in the pocket of the jeans. I stuffed my hand in, pulling it back out to reveal the flash drive I was supposed to give to the editor.

            “Crap” I fished my cell out of my jeans realizing how tight they actually were making me fell a little self-conscious. I found Kim Jongdae’s contact and debated sending him a text message before I decided to just give him a call. It rang for a while and I wondered if he was still at the bar; just before I was about to hang up he answered.

            “Hello? Kim Minseok? Is everything okay?” he seemed worried and confused about why I was suddenly calling him.

            “Oh everything’s fine” I assured him but his tone remained the same. “I just got home and I realized I never gave you the flash drive with my progress on it. Do you want to meet up tomorrow and I can hand it off to you?”

            He paused like it was a hard decision for him to make. “I’m actually really busy all weekend” there was a dull in the conversation as I tried to figure out what to say now, “but, if you’d like I’m home too. You can stop by for a bit I have some coffee made”

            My heart thumped strangely and even though I felt like I should decline the invitation I found myself accepting. “Yea, a cup of coffee sounds nice”

            “Alright, I’ll text you my address” he sounded happier now before hanging up and I received the message only seconds after. I sighed and pulled a clean shirt out of my closet before shutting off the lights and leaving again.

 

            "Come in, come in!" Jongdae exclaimed when I arrived. He was right his place wasn't too far from the bar but it still seemed a bit too much of a walking distance if you asked me.

            "Sorry I had it all ready but when I was in the shower-" I began to explain how I decided to change clothes but stopped myself halfway through because it was embarrassing.

            "That's fine. Even if you had brought it, it doesn't look like we would have gotten around to looking at it" he pointed out a very true statement as he handed me a small mug of coffee. "I feel like I need to apologize for everything again" he took a seat next to me with a sigh.

            "No its fine." I gave a weak smile and tried to change the subject, "So do you want to take a look at these now? I'd really like to personally hear what you think so far" I handed him over the flash drive.

            He seemed a little surprised that I wanted to do business at this hour and I felt like I was being a bit too much since he looked tired but if he was going to be busy all weekend it would be really nice on my end if I could get some feedback. "Sure let me just go grab my laptop" he set his cup down and left me alone.

            While he was gone I took the chance to examine his place, because you could actually tell a lot about someone by the way they lived. The room was a bit small; I was sitting on the couch which was the only thing that separated the living room from the kitchen. It was nice however, because you could see the TV from the table, if he ever ate anything on it considering it was covered in papers and boxes. Since he'd turned a light on I could see that through the short hallway that his room was the only door to the left, there was a bathroom at the very end, I could tell because the door was left wide open, and there were two closed doors to the right.

            "Looks like I left it in here" He shyly remarked as he passed across the hallway and saw me looking back at him. He opened one of the doors and I couldn't quite see in but I assumed from what I did see that it was a little office. "Sorry I carry this around with me everywhere so I tend to misplace it a lot" he finally returned with his laptop, glancing over at this table and seeing the mess it was in before giving up and returning to his seat next to me on the couch. He turned it on and it actually booted up faster than mine did even though it looked older just further compelling me to let go of the one I had back at home and finally buy a new one. When the screen lit up he typed in his password quickly and it revealed a home screen decorated with a picture of him and his friend Joonmyun with their arms around each other’s shoulders.

            "This is from two years ago when Joonmyun first bought the property for his bar" he smiled at the fond memory. "We hadn't even been the legal for very long when he came to me with the idea. I thought it was crazy at first, but after meeting all the people I've had the chance to meet because of that damn place I can't say I'm not a little thankful he did go through with it"

            I tried to hide the fact that I was also smiling, he was right about the interesting people working there, and despite everything that had happened tonight they still compelled me to go back.

            "Well anyways" he knocked himself out of his reminiscent faze and plugged in the flash drive. I was feeling a little anxious, like even though I'd worked on them for hours it was like this was the first time I was really seeing them and I had no idea how it would turn out.

            Jongdae was serious as he went through them, once, twice, and third time, which was a little contradictory to his usual upbeat character. "The lighting is nice but I think this here should be worked with some more" he pointed out a detail that I'd struggled with but knew I could make it better so it didn't bother me too much. "And here" he showed me another little flaw and I explained how that was an easy fix. "Overall I think they're great!" he finally gave me his enthusiastic critique and I could breathe again. He gave me an awkward hug since we were sitting at a weird angle and told me to keep up the good work.

            A weight seemed to be lifted off my shoulders and now that I knew I was going in the right direction I could save all the wasted time fumbling around when I started working on the rest. Even though this was my first job I was doing pretty well and that really boosted my self-esteem and made me think that, despite what was said about me pursuing this career, I'd made a good decision by following my passion.

            "Let's find something to celebrate with" he jumped up from his spot and I wondered where he still had all that energy from. Even after drinking that coffee I was beginning to feel drowsy. Don't get tired; you still have to drive all the way back home. I heard him rummaging around in his kitchen so I tried to focus on the sound to keep me awake but the attempt must have been futile because I was sure I drifted and slipped into sleep. It was the first time I'd ever caught myself accidently falling asleep at another man's house.

 

 

            "Minseok wake up" I shook his shoulder and he opened his eyes but only a mumble of 'yeeesing stop it!' and he waved his hand at my face nearly slapping me. "Please don't be mad at me in the morning"

            "Mhhhm" he bobbed his head up and down before falling slowly over and making himself comfortable, stretched out on my couch.

            Even if I could wake him up again he really shouldn't be driving like this. Was what I told myself when I pulled out another blanket from the closet at the end of the hallway and covered him from his feet to his shoulders, since he was small there was extra blanket left over. Why did this have to happen? I looked up in a prayer for pity but no one responded.

            Minseok was really out cold, he slept very quietly and peacefully. At the angle I had I could count every eyelash on his closed eyelids, his mouth was just slightly open. Luhan kissed these lips. Was all I could think about when I stared at them, I was jealous. Luhan was so harsh though, lips like these need to be kissed gently. He won't know. I told myself as I leaned over, stopping for a moment because I thought I saw his eyes flutter and I didn't want to be caught in the act, but he continued to just lay there unconscious so I filled the gap and pressed my lips to his.

            I didn't get much of a taste with the quick connection, but his breath smelled like coffee and his skin was soft. I was addicted immediately.

 

*Short chapter (๑´ㅂ`๑)  I'm proud of myself for continuing to be a chapter ahead so that I can get my updates out faster... Hmm Minseok has been kissed twice now, how does that make you feel?*