Kaisoo Extra

The Backdoor

          "Kim Jongin!" Someone was yelling in my ear before slapping me across the back of my head.

          "Hey what the hell?!" I rubbed the spot he hit even though it didn’t really hurt.

          "What trance are you in? No matter how many times I called your name you didn’t answer me" my annoying uncle was standing before me.

          "Well what do you want?" now that he’d gotten my attention he should tell me what he wanted quickly.

          "Is that any way to talk to your uncle? I am your elder!" his eye brows were furrowed together making his face look weird because it was too small and he had his arms crossed across his chest.

          "You’re barely an uncle, and you’re only three years older than me" I gave him smug expression and he pinched me ear. "Oww really do you have to keep hurting me?"

          "If you’re going to keep hanging around here get to work or something. Your mom is already mad enough that I keep letting you in here. I’m not going to just keep taking hits for you for free!" he handed me a uniform and left for his office muttering "Why do you even come here anyways" as he was walking away.

          "You really don’t know why I’m here yet" I replied but he was out of hearing range already. I looked down at the folded uniform he’d handed me and then back over to the guys that were setting up the stage, getting ready for the Friday night show. The dark haired one named Kyungsoo looked up at me and I blushed because it was clear I had been staring at him all night. He looked away because Chanyeol called his name and I decided to go to the bathroom to change.

          I looked at myself in the mirror. It was an uncomfortable feeling, Joonmyun was very particular about the shirts being buttoned all the way up and the ties being tied neatly which gave me the impression of choking because I wasn’t used to it.

          I heard someone come in so I tried to gather up my clothes but I nearly dropped them when I turned around quickly and practically ran into Kyungsoo.

         "Oh" he looked up at me; it was as close as I’d been to him. His large doe like eyes were even more intimidating up close. "I didn’t think you actually worked here"

          "Ah I don’t. My uncle owns this place so he’s putting me to work"

          "I always see you here so I just-" he didn’t finish his sentence because I was starting to fidget.

          "Oh do you need to go to the restroom?" he stepped out of my way.

          "No no, I mean I’m just in here to change" I shook my hand and gave a nervous chuckle and he gave me the ‘well then what the hell is wrong with you’ look over. "It’s just, I’m a fan of you, I mean the band!" he smiled at that and I lit up inside, "Well of you particular, I think you’re amazing, your voice" I added the last part on a second thought to not sound creepy.

          "Thank you" if I didn’t know any better I wound have thought he just barely turned a pinker shade but it might have just been a glare from the red flame I was blazing out of embarrassment. "Please enjoy the show tonight if you aren’t working too hard, now if you’ll excuse me"

          "Of course!" I left him so that he could do what he intended to do by coming in here.

          When back out in the bar I could hear my uncle calling my name "Kim Jongin! Kim Jongin! There you are, hurry and help Baekhyun take people's orders! We need to hurry and take everyone's order before the band starts" He shoved a pen and notepad at me and pushed me towards a table with a large group of people.

          "Um, hello" I tried to get over my surface shyness and speak up, "can I get your orders?"

          "Jongin? You work here now?" Chanyeol was surprised but had a wide toothy smile when I handed him the order. "That damn uncle of yours finally putting you to work too?" he laughed as he read the note and began pulling out a couple of beers and bottles to mix with.

          "When is the band starting?" I asked him, trying to pretend like I was busy talking with him so that I wouldn't have to talk to anymore strangers.

          "Once I'm done making these last few drinks, yours is the last order I'm taking"

          "Who's going to stay at the bar while you're playing?" it was something I never really thought about, but if I was really going to start working here then I should learn how it all works.

          "I've been teaching Baekhyun, he's not that good yet but he can open beers at least" he laughed at his own teasing and as if Baekhyun had some sixth sense he came walking up right then. "Oh good you're back, now I can leave" he placed all the drinks on a tray for me and Baekhyun watched in amusement that he finally had another person to help him serve.

          I was extra careful not to trip or spill the drinks all over somebody when I walked them back to the large table. I passed them all out easily because I was pretty good at remembering things; I mean why did I get perfect marks at school if I couldn't pass our beers correctly right? I told myself before sighing, mom is seriously going to kill me when she finds out, but at least I'll be dead, she'll do much worse to Uncle Joonmyun.

          I always wondered why mom didn't like me visiting my uncle, it wasn't like she hated him or anything, more like she didn't want someone about him to rub off on me. I always assumed it was because he decided to open up a bar, but when I came of age and was legally allowed to come in I realized that it wasn't because it was a bar, it was because he ran a gay bar. It didn't make me think any differently towards him, he was still my stupid uncle, but maybe she was right for worry about him rubbing off on me.

          I had never thought another man was cute, well except for my high school friend Oh Sehun but I soon learned he was just a little . I hadn't come to visit this place because my mom threw a huge fit about it, but I was convinced by Chanyeol to come one Friday night because I didn't believe a big flailing dork like him could have enough talent to play the drums. That was when I met the singer of his band, Do Kyung Soo.

          Kyungsoo had deep brown hair that could almost be mistaken for black, but in its shine you could catch the tint of delectable hazelnut mocha. His skin was so light and fair that it made everything dark about him stand out, especially the captivating irises of his large eyes and the delicate eyelashes that framed them. Then there was his lips, they were plump and in the shape of a heart, I wondered if he wore gloss because they always seemed moist and kissable. His stature was short and he had a thin frame but when he sang the entire room was filled with his tenor voice's resonance.

          When the show was over I stayed like always, telling myself as the members of the band conversed with their small fan group that I should go up and start a conversation with Kyungsoo, but I never did. Tonight however, I had to stay to clean since I was apparently an official employee. Baekhyun showed me where the supplies were and the easiest way to pile all the glasses into the wash bucket then guided me to the back where the kitchen and the sinks were. After showing me how to work it he left me with all the dirty glasses form the night, telling me that it was good for a kid to do the family's dishes every now and then. I scoffed but ended up doing them all anyways. When I was finished I saw the bar in a state that I'd never had the chance to see.

          It was well past midnight now and we'd closed for the night, the only people remaining were Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Luhan, Uncle Joonmyun and his friend Jongdae, and of course Kyungsoo who was sitting by himself on his cell.

          "Go over and talk to him" Baekhyun urged me when he saw me looking longingly in his direction. He lead me over to the bar that had already been cleaned while I was gone and retrieved to beers then pushed me along with a slap on the back as some form of encouragement.

          "Umm" I cleared my throat when I approached him to not catch him off guard since I had the bad habit of scaring people since I had such a quiet walk.

          "Jongin" He smiled, but it seemed superficial, like it was a reflex left over from all the people he'd just finished hearing.

          "Can I sit here, with you?" I nodded a beer towards the empty chair in front of him and he sat up straight before allowing me to take a seat. "This is for you. It's from Baekhyun" He said thank you as he took it and sipped at it before setting it on the table next to mine. I seriously comptemplated pretending to accidently get them mixed up and drink out of his but ruled it out because I decided it was too childish.

          "Did you have something to say to me?" he asked when I didn't say anything even though it looked like I wanted to.

          "Nothing in particular" in my head I was swarming with questions, What's your favorite color? What's your zodiac? What school did you go to? Where do you shop? What's your number? God, Why do you smell so good? But I couldn't bring myself to ask any of them, epically the latter ones.

          "Not good with small talk?" He smiled and it looked a bit more real which had me excited, a little too excited. I took a swig of my beer to calm myself down and he chuckled.

          "I guess you could say that" the really wasn't anywhere near it. When I was in school I sure was a lady killer. Sehun and I had every girl in every grade eating out of the palms of our hands. It wasn't hard for me to talk to girls, but somehow this was different. Kyungsoo wasn't a girl and I couldn't figure out if I should talk to him like I would normally talk to another guy or what.

          "I'm not either, I'm actually really shy" he admitted. In my own nervous state I hadn't even noticed that he hand his hands clasped together in front of him and was twiddling his thumbs. He also didn't seem to be able to look me in the eye.

          "Really? I would have never guessed that coming from someone that's in a band"

          He looked up at me and then back down before mumbling "I just really love singing"

          "That's great that you've found a passion, you've really got the gift for it" I couldn't help but praise him because he was looking cute.

          "What's your passion?" he caught me off guard by suddenly asking such a personal question and I could tell that he immediately regretted it.

          "I like to dance" I quickly told him before he tried to drop the subject; I liked how intimate this was getting. Actually as I was thinking about it, despite always making good grades in school, and being able to pick up any sport I put my mind to, I never really found something to be passionate about besides dancing. "My mom put me in ballet classes when I was small, at first I thought it was silly but I ended up being really good at it so I never stopped"

          "Ballet?" he looked me up and down like he couldn't imagine I could be graceful.

          "It's not the only dance I can do but it's where I started" I cracked a quick smile and was thoroughly surprised when he ended up staring. "Maybe I can show you some time?" I leaned in closer and he realized that he'd been looking at me too long.

          "Really? That could be cool" he shifted in his chair and searched for something to focus on.

          I took a deep breath gathering every ounce of courage I could muster up just to say, "Give me your number and I can text you the next time I'm off?" I tried to say it innocently so he wouldn't think anything of it and it must have worked.

          "Yeah sure" I lent him the pen and notepad Joonmyun had given me at the beginning on the night and he scribbled his number down on a corner and handed it back to me.

          "Awesome, I'll see you some other time then" I decided to excuse myself now so I could go fan girl in the back by myself before going home.

          He nodded his head and I took my beer with me as I left or else Baekhyun would yell at me for not cleaning up after myself after he'd just picked the place up.

          "Well if that wasn't just the most awkward thing I've ever seen in my life" The guitarist of the band Luhan informed me that he'd been watching me when I made my way over to thank Baekhyun and tell my uncle goodnight.

          "What?" Uncle Joonmyun asked curelessly and I tried to quickly shove the slip of paper in my pocket before he questioned it. "What's that? What's written on there?"

          "Nothing Uncle, and next time ask me before you decide to put me to work again" I tried to turn this on him.

          "Can you work tomorrow night? You can? Good! I talked to your mother already and she's pissed but decided it's about time you got a part time job" he pulled a fast one over on me before I could even complain. "She said she'd rather you work your first job with me so I can give you a ride home. Now come on get in my car" I sighed and followed him because I felt like there was no turning back now.

          On my way out Baekhyun gave me a thumbs up and a teasing wink, Chanyeol looked at him like he was accusing him of playing another prank but when I smile back he calmed down.

          "When I get back you all better have gone home!" Joonmyun yelled at his only employees and they all waved at him. "Why did I ever hire these bums anyways, you better not work like them, I won't give you any slack since you're my cute nephew"

          "Yes" I was too content right now to make any comebacks so I just got into his car quietly and let him give me a ride home.

 

*How about a little break from the main plot line for a little side ksoo. I origionally wanted to post this last Friday because if you didn't hear the news, the supreme court ruled that same marrige was legal in every state of the US. I didn't get around to it though because I was too busy helping with my grandmother's funeral. Anyways enought about my life, I'm working on part 5 right now so trying to continue with regularish updates. I don't exactly ship ksoo I just think they're fun to write, and with that I hope from this you can tell that Kai isn't exactly a nervous person as he is just awkward, Kyungsoo on the other hand is the nervous one. They should make an interesting couple right... end of longer than usual note. as always, thanks for reading*